BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2015-02-05 5:44 PM
in reply to: #5075288

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED
Hi guys. Just checking in again. Didn't quite manage to update on time, but I got 16 points in the january challenge in the end, which I'm quite pleased with (oh, how times have changed).

I'm settling into a routine with my training, although there are still a few kinks to work out. Last week's achievement was getting my butt back on the bike. I've had the tri bike on the turbo and also been out on the mountain bike. I'm gradually building up, but it's good to have got myself over that little hurdle.

The weather has not been my friend lately. We've had snow a couple of times. I know that for many of you the kind of snow that we get would barely register, but the issue here is that because the temperature never gets far below freezing snow tends to turn to ice. All of the local parkruns were cancelled at the weekend due to ice on the courses, and my bike ride on Wednesday was cut short because even on a mountain bike, cycling on sheet ice just isn't fun (I would have gone home and jumped on the turbo to get my point, but my husband had left my turbo in his car and taken it to work! :-/).

Sunday was my first MAF run in over a year. I've pretty much gone back to square one pace-wise, but I'm hoping that with some consistency that will improve fairly quickly. Monday I did the track session in the morning and then a short swim in the evening. The timing of that swim isn't quite working out, so still a little juggling to be done there.

Oh, and we've just recently established that my son has a dairy allergy, so I'm now dairy free. It sucks in some ways as I can't eat any of the nice things I really liked, but it's doing wonders for my weight loss. At this rate I'll be back down to race weight in no time!

2015-02-05 5:46 PM
in reply to: #5090986

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Beth 04 02:50:00
Brian 01 00:30
Dan 05 6:57:04
Dave C. 03 04:15:00
DaveL 01 0:30:00
Dennis 04 07:56:55
Gabe 04 07:50:46
Jackie 03 5:06:16
Jim 05 5:39:09
Joe 04 3:27:00
Mark Z 04 4:48:00
Melissa 04 04:10:00
Mitch 04 3:58:00
Patrick 03 02:30:00
Seth 03 01:45:00
Rachel 02 01:45:00
2015-02-05 6:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by Sillygal

Last run before the race- packet pickup tonight. I will do a 20 minute walk on Friday night and then chocolate time!

Reminds me of something my wife would say. She is an expert at justifying chocolate consumption in relation to any type physical activity. So much so that she keeps a few bars locked up in our safe so she knows she will have some after hard bike ride. Made me laugh!

Edited by sawyer1206 2015-02-05 6:04 PM
2015-02-05 8:31 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Originally posted by JoePetto

Originally posted by trisuppo

Originally posted by tmoran07

I have a question to those following a training plan and if there are any out there following, or have followed, the BT Beginner Ironman (free) plan...I need some input.

I've been repeating the 4 week base building intro to the plan which is meant to get you used to the schedule. I've found that by Friday I am BEAT. My legs are sore, my body is sore and I have zero motivation to do anything over the weekend (training wise). Is this just part of it? Do I need to just continue on and push through it and HTFU?

I tried to check out your training log to get an idea for volume, pace, etc. You have it restricted to certain users. Can you open it up and we can see how/what you're foing and weigh in with any thoughts we have?

Fixed. My logs are up to date. I've only been keeping track since the new year.

What did your training look like beginning the BT Base building plan? How many times per week would you work out? How many times for each discipline? How long were the workouts? What intensity or perceived exertion are your workouts now? What about last year?

Before the base building plan started I was doing unstructured workouts hoping to maintain my fitness from Silverman in October and HITS Palm Springs 70.3 in December. I was working out 5-8 times a week depending on conflicts around the holidays. I would run 3x a week (typically 3-7 mile runs around a 9:30 pace), Bike 1-2x a week (1 around 20-30 miles & 1 around 60 miles @ 18-20 mph), & I haven't swam since HITS. Last year I ran 524 miles, and Biked about 2600.

The intensity I've noticed an increase in is my running. I've felt AMAZING on my runs until last week when I started feeling a bit of fatigue. My ankles feel like they are sprained for the first 10-15 min of my runs then that goes away. My runs recently have been about 30 sec/mile faster that before and I've upped my mileage from 60 miles in December to 75 in January. I ran an average of 55-65 miles a month last year so I didn't think that the increase in mileage would affect me. But I feel it. The intensity with my swims is there simply because I've slacked off for a month.

And with the increased number of work outs and mileage, I expected to have lost a pound or 2 over the course of January but I've gained about 3 lbs. My diet is about 80% there and I'm dialing it in day by day.

With this plan can I move my run days around so I have a day of recovery in between? Or is it best if I slow down and STICK TO THE PLAN as it's laid out? I know this is a lot and I'll give you whatever info you need. I appreciate you guys looking at this and tearing me up. I'm coach-able and willing to take input. Thanks!!

I'm at a bit of a loss. I think the key that you should focus on is getting used to the volume and # of workouts prescribed by the plan. The delta to allow you to do that is intensity. If you cannot handle the volume and # of workouts at this time you need to either reduce intensity or volume, or both. I would start with dialing back the intensity and see how your legs feel coming into the weekend.
'
In my mind, the goal at this point should be getting into a regular rhythmm of workouts and being consistent. I would try to get the # of workouts in at prescribed volume at lower intensity. If that still doesn't work I would shorten some workouts or anything listed as a recovery workout I would delete (essentially change from active recovery/rest to pure recovery).

Thoughts form the rest of the Team?

Quite simple - you are putting in stand alone marathon training miles in the run. I have trained for marathons and in my top mileage week I rarely ran that far. Also, if you are running many of these miles with intensity, then your likelihood of success will be diminished unless you are a devotee of the Hanson Method and have a lot of marathoning experience. But since you are training for an IM, I think you need to completely rethink your plan of attack. You may also be carrying a high degree of fatigue from running 240-290 miles per month. Overtraining isn't just a HTFU situation and I've seen it have fairly profound physiologic effects on some strong athletes.

As Mitch said - slow is your friend. You can't effectively train any of the 3 disciplines in isolation of one another.

I think you misread his email. He did total 524 miles last year and was averaging 55-65 per month. I agree he needs to dial back the intensity.
2015-02-05 8:34 PM
in reply to: sawyer1206

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Originally posted by sawyer1206

Managed to get my tri bike out on the road for about 30' in the neighborhood and all I can say is I need a LOT of saddle time. Very difficult to stay in a straight line in the aero position. I think I will spend a lot of time in the neighborhood getting used to the steering before she hits the open road.

Absolutely the right thing to do - take your time. I still remember those first few shaky rides on my tri-bike.
2015-02-05 9:00 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Easy spin in a new kit today.

Thanks DanC for the short link. I know to do that, but I was so flustered that it was taking things out at the beginning.

Dan 05 6:57:04
Jackie 04 6:02:59

2015-02-05 9:45 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by dcon

I have a question to those following a training plan and if there are any out there following, or have followed, the BT Beginner Ironman (free) plan...I need some input.

I've been repeating the 4 week base building intro to the plan which is meant to get you used to the schedule. I've found that by Friday I am BEAT. My legs are sore, my body is sore and I have zero motivation to do anything over the weekend (training wise). Is this just part of it? Do I need to just continue on and push through it and HTFU?

I tried to check out your training log to get an idea for volume, pace, etc. You have it restricted to certain users. Can you open it up and we can see how/what you're foing and weigh in with any thoughts we have?

What did your training look like beginning the BT Base building plan? How many times per week would you work out? How many times for each discipline? How long were the workouts? What intensity or perceived exertion are your workouts now? What about last year?

Before the base building plan started I was doing unstructured workouts hoping to maintain my fitness from Silverman in October and HITS Palm Springs 70.3 in December. I was working out 5-8 times a week depending on conflicts around the holidays. I would run 3x a week (typically 3-7 mile runs around a 9:30 pace), Bike 1-2x a week (1 around 20-30 miles & 1 around 60 miles @ 18-20 mph), & I haven't swam since HITS. Last year I ran 524 miles, and Biked about 2600.

The intensity I've noticed an increase in is my running. I've felt AMAZING on my runs until last week when I started feeling a bit of fatigue. My ankles feel like they are sprained for the first 10-15 min of my runs then that goes away. My runs recently have been about 30 sec/mile faster that before and I've upped my mileage from 60 miles in December to 75 in January. I ran an average of 55-65 miles a month last year so I didn't think that the increase in mileage would affect me. But I feel it. The intensity with my swims is there simply because I've slacked off for a month.

And with the increased number of work outs and mileage, I expected to have lost a pound or 2 over the course of January but I've gained about 3 lbs. My diet is about 80% there and I'm dialing it in day by day.

With this plan can I move my run days around so I have a day of recovery in between? Or is it best if I slow down and STICK TO THE PLAN as it's laid out? I know this is a lot and I'll give you whatever info you need. I appreciate you guys looking at this and tearing me up. I'm coach-able and willing to take input. Thanks!!

I'm at a bit of a loss. I think the key that you should focus on is getting used to the volume and # of workouts prescribed by the plan. The delta to allow you to do that is intensity. If you cannot handle the volume and # of workouts at this time you need to either reduce intensity or volume, or both. I would start with dialing back the intensity and see how your legs feel coming into the weekend.
'
In my mind, the goal at this point should be getting into a regular rhythmm of workouts and being consistent. I would try to get the # of workouts in at prescribed volume at lower intensity. If that still doesn't work I would shorten some workouts or anything listed as a recovery workout I would delete (essentially change from active recovery/rest to pure recovery).

Quite simple - you are putting in stand alone marathon training miles in the run. I have trained for marathons and in my top mileage week I rarely ran that far. Also, if you are running many of these miles with intensity, then your likelihood of success will be diminished unless you are a devotee of the Hanson Method and have a lot of marathoning experience. But since you are training for an IM, I think you need to completely rethink your plan of attack. You may also be carrying a high degree of fatigue from running 240-290 miles per month. Overtraining isn't just a HTFU situation and I've seen it have fairly profound physiologic effects on some strong athletes.

As Mitch said - slow is your friend. You can't effectively train any of the 3 disciplines in isolation of one another.

I think you misread his email. He did total 524 miles last year and was averaging 55-65 per month. I agree he needs to dial back the intensity.

Todd, I glanced at your training logs and I read your race report from St George 70.3, a very tough 70.3. I'm going to give you information from my personal experience. When I first started training for triathlons, I couldn't do back to back days of workouts. I was just too exhausted. But by consistently doing every other day workouts, I built my stamina. I also found out about recovery nutrition. Eventually I was able to do the challenges in this group, 30 min a day every day. I managed to figure out that if I swam and biked in between my running days, I did better. Then I learned about active vs passive recovery, which is really what I had already been doing. Then I was able to do two workouts in the same day. I learned never to increase both intensity and volume, but just one or the other.

You asked the question can you move your runs around. I'm not looking at the plan, but I say if you need to do that to make it work for you, then do it. Your last year mileage on the bike and run were very similar to mine. I try to work on my base all year long and then throw in speed work, bricks, etc. Ironman is an AEROBIC event. It is important to go at a pace that you can keep up ALL DAY LONG. I love Dr Phil Maffetone's book "Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing" and am re-reading it for about the 6th time. An Ironman plan should only be about 3-4 months, not all year. Nutrition is definitely the biggie. Proper nutrition allows you to fuel your body properly for the work you are asking it to do and also recover faster. I currently use a product for recovery called Ultragen. It really makes a difference for me and the people that I know that use it. I am also investigating PHD Nutrition, since they sponsor the team I'm on this year.

Hope this helps!
2015-02-06 12:57 AM
in reply to: #5075288

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
I agree with what Jackie says about gradually building up (sorry, I can't quote as I'm on my phone). There are some very strong, well trained people in the group who are capable of doing multiple hard sessions on consecutive days. I was never that person. And that's ok. I remember being really worried about my training two years ago because I had struggled with motivation in the post-season and so was starting building from very little training in January. I joined a different mentor group that also focused on consistency and was doing regular 30min runs. In July that year I smashed my previous iron distance time, and ran my first sub-5hr marathon. The point of base training is to build a solid base. That generally means taking it slow and steady and really not pushing it. If you try to start training for a November ironman now I can guarantee you'll burn out way before you get there. I always aim for a 20 week plan and am pretty frazzled with it by the time I get to the race. I make my own training plans because I usually work shifts and have never found a plan that works for me. But I tend to follow some advice I was given a few years ago. There are 3 variables in training - frequency, intensity and time (FIT). You should only increase one at a time, otherwise you risk injury or burnout.
2015-02-06 1:21 AM
in reply to: #5091069

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Sorry for multiple posts, but while I've got a bit of time on my hands I'm catching up on everything.

1. Bikes. I have a 2010 giant defy road bike with tiagra components. Nothing flash but it got me through my first two years of proper triathlons including my first ironman. I had clip on aero bars but they were removed for London to Paris and haven't gone back on. In 2013 I bought a Merida Timewarp tri bike which has a bit of a mishmash of components from fsa to ultegra. We also have carbon race wheels, although I think I may have to fight my husband for them at some stage. It's my beautiful baby. I think I rode it twice on the turbo last year before my belly got too big, so I'm enjoying getting back on it now. I have adamo seats on both bikes. After years of hunting for a ride that didn't leave me in agony I've found they're the best option.

2. I'm a member of the local tri club. That decision plays a big part in a lot of the races I've done, as my husband tended to talk to other people about what races they're doing and then drag us along for the ride. I swim every week with the club as it's the only adult swim training available near us - there just doesn't seem to be any masters swimming anywhere nearby. They run quite a few other training sessions including a monthly training duathlon. I haven't been to anything much recently, but the track session was what really got me started on my running and I have done the duathlon a few times as its great to practice transitions.

I think it depends on what's available locally, but I have gained loads from being in the club - we discuss local (and not so local) events so I know which races are good to do. There are a wide range of people doing a wide range of distances so finding someone to train with is much easier. I've even had a few offers of babysitting from people so that I can get my training in.

3. Can't help much with shorts. I mostly train in tri shorts. My husband swears by bib shorts. Unfortunately getting women's bib shorts seems to be challenging and expensive, so I've never bothered.
2015-02-06 3:15 AM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
adding in my run for today (Fri) - 50 minutes, 8.5 km....nice and easy

Dan 06 7:47:09
2015-02-06 3:35 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Thanks to Rachel for reminding me that I have not yet responded on bikes, tri-clubs and shorts.

Bike: I used a 2009 Bianchi Nirone (aluminum bike with 105 components) with clip-on aerobars to get me through my first 5 seasons, including 3 half-iron distance events. At the end of 2013 I bought a 2012 Scott Plasma 10 which came with DuraAce components. The bike is an XXS and fits me really well. I rode it for 4 Olys and 1 full distance (not ironman branded) event last year. I really don't have anything negative to say about it.

Tri-club: There is a one tri-club in the area. I found out about it last year and have met some of the members. I am putting off joining until this summer or next year.

Shorts: I have mostly De Soto stuff - a couple pairs of the 400 mile shorts that I use for longer rides and a couple of tri-suit bottoms that I use for racing. For shorter training rides, I prefer to use a pair of Specialized Mountain bike short liners, i.e., the spandex liner that ties into the mountain bike shorts. The pads are thinner and they are really comfortable. Unfortunately, you can't buy them anymore.

2015-02-06 5:08 AM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

'

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for reading this while not focused. Defer to Jackie - as she is the wisest!
2015-02-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: JoePetto

Regular
Corona

'

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for reading this while not focused. Defer to Jackie - as she is the wisest!

Jackie and everyone thank you. I learn something every day. I've always been one to just HAMMER myself day in and day out in my workouts and I think I'm beginning to see the light. I am apprehensive - I don't know if that is the word I'm looking for - about going easy because in my head that means I wouldn't be able to handle the distance come race day. I need to remember it's an AEROBIC event.

I can't run on back to back days. I have always felt better is I would run, bike/swim the next day, run the next. I will rearrange the schedule for that. I'll make the adjustments and report back frequently.

I appreciate the input. There is a lot of experience here and I recognize that a lot of hard work and heart ache goes into creating that experience. Thank you guys very much!
2015-02-06 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
30 min swim today. I did 90% with the pull buoy but threw in a few freestyle sets as my legs seemed to be a little better. I am now again suffering with cramps in my quads. I tried biking again last night but got 5min in before bad cramping as well. I might be screwed because of this as it seems that I cant do anything, Very very frustrated.

DaveL 02 1:00:00

2015-02-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

35 min' MAF run.

Patrick 04 03:05:00
2015-02-06 12:32 PM
in reply to: dgconner154

User image

, Massachusetts
To answer my own questions:

- I have an old Cannondale R900 road bike with clip-on aero bars that got me through my first two seasons of races. I bought it used and added/upgraded stuff over the past couple years, but last season I did my first Oly and realized I couldn't perform the way I wanted to with that bike on longer races. I made it through the ride OK but was smoked for the run. This winter I bought a BMC Time Machine TM02 with a mix of Ultegra and 105 and a Sitero saddle. I've been using it on my trainer and getting used to the new, more aggressive aero position and geometry. So far I love it, but I have yet to ride it outdoors. I'm keeping the Cannondale for group rides and some outdoor training, with the hope of possibly upgrading to a nicer road bike sometime in the future.

- We have a few tri teams/clubs in my area and I'm definitely interested in joining one. Unfortunately it seems like none of them train all that close to me, so I'm trying to figure out which one will be the best match before joining.

2015-02-06 12:54 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Expert
10 K MAF Runch 52:19

Jim 06 6:31:28
2015-02-06 12:59 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hey Jackie, crossing my fingers so that your company realizes how great you are and they extend your consulting gig!

Adding 1hr drainer yesterday + 18 mile run today morning

Gabe 06 11:34:45 

2015-02-06 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks Gabe, but it looks like that's not in the cards. Last day is Feb 20, two weeks from today.

Thanks for the compliment, Joe. I don't know about wisest, oldest maybe. I am a student of the sport though. I read everything I can get my hands on and then do what works for me. I also like analyzing and getting info on what works for others so I can pass it on!

Jackie 05 7:22:24

Edited by jackiep 2015-02-06 3:57 PM
2015-02-06 4:09 PM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Adding in this evening's tri club swim session. I really feel like my swim is coming back. starting to feel like I'm a lot stronger in the water. Now I just have to get the bike and run back :-)

Rachel 03 02:45:10
2015-02-06 5:39 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Conroe, Texas
Adding 40' Aero Bar training ride this evening. The rain has stopped and the sun came out so I seized the opportunity. This new bike is smooth, I really think it will change my view on cycling.

Dennis 05 08:35:55

2015-02-06 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Adding 3.5hr trail run on Friday after work, 6pm to 9:30pm. The experience of night trail run is priceless, we saw snakes, huge snails, spiders and unreal coastal views. What is also amazing is the sounds in the rainforest as the night falls.

This morning got up for the usual 5k parkrun.

Mark Z 06 8:48:00

Edited by markz 2015-02-06 7:00 PM
2015-02-06 6:38 PM
in reply to: markz

User image

, Massachusetts
1 hour trainer ride tonight, TrainerRoad "Geiger"

Dave C. 04 05:15:00
2015-02-06 8:55 PM
in reply to: dgconner154

User image

Madison, Wisconsin
Updating from yesterday and today. Yesterday I hit the pool for 50 minutes, including some speed play which was fun. Ran later that day with the tri team for 30 minutes.

Today I hit the streets for 1:20, 10 mile run. Felt great! So thankful to all of the neighborhood folks for shoveling their sidewalks!!! Spent an hour on the trainer this evening. Total of 3:40 over two days.

Melissa 06 07:50:00
2015-02-07 5:47 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Adding today's trainer ride: 1 hour, main set: 3 X 15' @ Z3

Dan 07 8:47:09
Melissa 06 07:50:00

Edited by dcon 2015-02-07 5:48 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46922 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 85943 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55263 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : October 20, 2008
author : EnduRight
Training is often a lonely proposition and sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Finding good training partners can provide you with that extra external motivation to bring out your best.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Your training plan is a guide but you don’t blindly follow it. You shouldn’t know exactly what you are going to do until the day you are to do it.