BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2012-01-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3979598

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
velcromom - 2012-01-09 10:59 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Jeff (hubby) signed up for IM St. George and I'm going to pick up a community fund slot at Ironman Florida!!!!   I'm really excited for him - and for me!  All of the adrenaline and enthusiasm of the Ironman...and it won't hurt a bit!!

And Kim, can't believe nothing hurts.  I need some coaching from you, girl.

I am  big believer in the run/walk marathon, although I don't have a pattern.  I run until I can't, then I walk for 30 seconds or so, then pick it back up.   It's been working for me, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way.

14 weeks.......

fixed.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2012-01-09 11:14 AM

2012-01-09 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3979767

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
badgerintx - 2012-01-09 8:58 AM

Some good pictures from this Cyclocross Nationals Race this weekend if anybody is interested:  

Here

FYI, that's me on the left in the black striped hat and sunglasses in the Saturday images 52 / 53 / 54 / 55 working on my National level heckling, doing some dollar hand-ups, and ringing the cowbell.  We actually handed up a full 12 pack of beers later in the day during the 35-39 and 30-34 masters races.  The ladies next to us were from the Univ of Iowa and were handing out their phone numbers on little sheets of paper.  

It was AWESOME to see the talent out there.  Guys that ran away from the field during our CX season around here were in the back 1/2 of the field on the National stage after the 1st lap.  And smooth, the guys at the tip of arrow were powering away from the field while looking they were out for a Sunday morning group ride.    

Pics are cool.... The guy in #55 looks like he is on his way down!?! 

2012-01-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3979806

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-09 11:14 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Jeff (hubby) signed up for IM St. George and I'm going to pick up a community fund slot at Ironman Florida!!!!   I'm really excited for him - and for me!  All of the adrenaline and enthusiasm of the Ironman...and it won't hurt a bit!!

I am  big believer in the run/walk marathon, although I don't have a pattern.  I run until I can't, then I walk for 30 seconds or so, then pick it back up.   It's been working for me, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a better way.

14 weeks.......

fixed.

2012 Ironman Foundation slots are SOLD OUT  for Ironman Florida. If they weren't I'd probably get one.

Tiana 

2012-01-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3979827

User image

Champion
marietta
tritiny - 2012-01-09 12:22 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-09 11:14 AM

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

14 weeks.......

fixed.

2012 Ironman Foundation slots are SOLD OUT for Ironman Florida. Thankfully Endurance Sports Travel has spots available.  I can't wait to buy you beer, John.

Tiana 

fixed.

2012-01-09 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3979761

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
mighty mom - 2012-01-09 10:57 AM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-09 11:29 AM

mighty mom - 2012-01-09 8:54 AM Oh and forgot to include... I've been looking at a Nov break to FL. 

Cool!

Regarding your diet question, do you take a multi-vitamin? extra calcium?  if not, it could be a way to get the missing minerals.  As my workouts lengthen, chocolate milk becomes my recovery beverage and that also is a way to get the calcium without a lot of fat.  I am also an egg eater (it is a very high quality protein), but that will add a little cholesterol to your day.

I think nutrition is most people's undoing at the IM distance.  Finding what works in training is as important as the training itself.  I applaud your healthful eating, but don't undereat during this time.  You need CHOs, protein and fats to fuel that body!

I was thinking multi-vitamin too.  Love eggs and eat them regularly.  I'm trying not to focus on the calories as much as eating quality food with the right balance of nutrients.  Adding a glass of chocolate milk and exchanging spinach instead of mixed greens might be enough.  Just need to play around with it a bit more.  ?Been looking at a Zone type diet with 40-30-30.  (Again, not trying to be super number conscious or strict just thinking about tweaking things so that generally I'm hitting the right balance.)  Do you think it's more important to find the right ratio or do you try to hit an amount based on number of grams/BW?

For actual training, I try to hit XCHO/hour.  For me that is roughly 30g.  On the bike, I have some protein in my beverage, but on the run it's all CHOs.

Post workout I sip a glass of chocolate milk right away and then try to eat a balanced meal after I've stretched taken an ice bath and showered.

I tend to eat more protein and less CHOs on a day to day basis, but am mindful of loading up on good grains, etc before big workouts.  For me, it makes a difference.

2012-01-09 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Master
Maryland
Suzy, on the topic of nutrition, do you try stay away from some of the foods that are acidic when metabolized? And stick with more alkaline foods? You shared the diet info. with me last year and it was interesting.

2012-01-09 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3979824

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
swbkrun - 2012-01-09 12:21 PM
badgerintx - 2012-01-09 8:58 AM

Some good pictures from this Cyclocross Nationals Race this weekend if anybody is interested:  

Here

FYI, that's me on the left in the black striped hat and sunglasses in the Saturday images 52 / 53 / 54 / 55 working on my National level heckling, doing some dollar hand-ups, and ringing the cowbell.  We actually handed up a full 12 pack of beers later in the day during the 35-39 and 30-34 masters races.  The ladies next to us were from the Univ of Iowa and were handing out their phone numbers on little sheets of paper.  

It was AWESOME to see the talent out there.  Guys that ran away from the field during our CX season around here were in the back 1/2 of the field on the National stage after the 1st lap.  And smooth, the guys at the tip of arrow were powering away from the field while looking they were out for a Sunday morning group ride.    

Pics are cool.... The guy in #55 looks like he is on his way down!?! 

That's hysterical! 

Very cool pics.  Love your reaction in this pic too. 

I might need a little explaination on what's going on in Sunday's pic #8.

2012-01-09 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3979958

User image

Champion

Terps421 - 2012-01-09 12:22 PM Suzy, on the topic of nutrition, do you try stay away from some of the foods that are acidic when metabolized? And stick with more alkaline foods? You shared the diet info. with me last year and it was interesting.

My normal diet has a focus on being more alkaline which means a lot of vegetables, some fruit, some whole grains (steel cut oats, ezekial bread, quinoa, etc) and less white processed crap which is more acidic. This is a decent chart.  As athletes we already increase inflammation in the body from working out (cortisol) so the less extra we put in through food the better.  Alkaline foods combat inflammation. 

When it comes to training, I really use what I know will work for me and focus less on the alkalinity.  I need to ingest simple things that are digested easily both before efforts and during them.   This includes simple sugars like malodextrin taken in liquid form (Hammer products--Sustained Energy, Gels).  I eat no solids during training or racing.

I try to get back on the alkaline wagon once training is over for the day.  Sometimes my stomach is accepting of it and other times it isn't.  All a balancing act.

And in case anyone thinks I am a pristine eater they can think again!

2012-01-09 1:40 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Just finished a lunch hour swim. Boy I really like a good workout! Endorphines are terrific! BTW: I swam the first WU 100 in 1:29 without really trying! That is a new PR!

Iknow training is done with sites set on the racing season, but some of this training is a heck of a lot of fun!

2012-01-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3980032

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
SSMinnow - 2012-01-09 1:53 PM

Terps421 - 2012-01-09 12:22 PM Suzy, on the topic of nutrition, do you try stay away from some of the foods that are acidic when metabolized? And stick with more alkaline foods? You shared the diet info. with me last year and it was interesting.

My normal diet has a focus on being more alkaline which means a lot of vegetables, some fruit, some whole grains (steel cut oats, ezekial bread, quinoa, etc) and less white processed crap which is more acidic. This is a decent chart.  As athletes we already increase inflammation in the body from working out (cortisol) so the less extra we put in through food the better.  Alkaline foods combat inflammation. 

When it comes to training, I really use what I know will work for me and focus less on the alkalinity.  I need to ingest simple things that are digested easily both before efforts and during them.   This includes simple sugars like malodextrin taken in liquid form (Hammer products--Sustained Energy, Gels).  I eat no solids during training or racing.

I try to get back on the alkaline wagon once training is over for the day.  Sometimes my stomach is accepting of it and other times it isn't.  All a balancing act.

Nutritional newb here - That article and chart made my head spin!!

Just my $.02 here -- For me personally, right now, I'm going with a simpler approach... working in more whole grains, fruits, veggies... more "whole foods" / meals.   Much less already prepared/processed stuff and much smaller portions with more meals spread thru the day, every three hours or so.

Just basic balance...  My objective is to never be starving hungry or always have a little in the tank burning.  When I can make that work, I feel better, have more energy and train harder.   For so long I was a three meals a day guy and they were big meals... made me a "big" guy.

2012-01-09 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3979393

User image

Master
mighty mom - 2012-01-09 6:49 AM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-09 9:33 AM
mighty mom - 2012-01-09 8:26 AM

Dayum.  I really need to be better about keeping up with you guys....

Am I the only one who doesn't workout with music?  I don't even listen to music in the car.  I swear if it wasn't for my girlfriends teenage daughter I wouldn't even know of Katy Perry.

Hawt damn, Kim!  Mrs Speedy!  So incredibly impressed by you. Love the costume too!

Kyla- Congrats on the 100 day challenge!  

Rachel- many prayers to your cousin and all your family.  I canNOT imagine the pain of losing a child.

Deb- I also find TM running more difficult.  I've always assumed its bc 1) I do it rarely as I don't have one for regular use and 2) mental block bc there is less outside stimulation to keep you from realizing you're a hamster on a wheel.

Nope, you are not alone.  I don't run with music anymore either.  There have been studies that suggest it is a motivator though and you may actually run longer/push harder if you use it.  I quit because I felt I needed to learn how to stay focused under duress since this is the way I always race.

That makes sense.  I do have an iPod which I got for xmas yrs ago, just have never set it up.  I can also see myself getting into trouble by losing myself into the music and not paying attention to my surroundings. 

Question for the MG.  My biggest worry come IM is my nutrition and I've completely revamped my entire diet to eating well.  With this I've been tracking my diet on myfitnesspal and found I'm only getting in about 40-50% of my daily recommended values of calcium and iron.  Protein could be up 10-20 gms too.  Any food ideas for beefing those values up w/o increasing fat/cholesterol?   

Eat kale. It really is a nutritional powerhouse. My family doesn't like it, so I went through a phase of not eating it, now I say "screw 'em" and when I can't sneak it into soups and sauces (yes, I sneak chopped/pureed vegetables into my husband's food just like parents do for picky children), I am addicted to kale chips. Wash, chop (big pieces OK), toss with a bit of olive oil and sea salt, bake anywhere from 350 to 425 anywhere from about 5-15 minutes (keep an eye on 'em). They come out nice and crispy and are soooo delish. 

I also would suggest munching on raw nuts. I always kept a bag of almonds in my car during IM training. I still love to eat nuts and trail mix for late afternoon pick-me-ups. 

2012-01-09 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
^^ Where's John........  Wait for it...............
2012-01-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3980289

User image

Champion

Scalded_Dawg - 2012-01-09 2:41 PM ^^ Where's John........  Wait for it...............

You've obviously been around just long enough to pick up on this!

I have a recommendation for Kale as well.  I always tried to put it in my smoothies, but it makes them taste like crap--too bitter!  Now I buy red leaf Kale, wash it and freeze it.    You can put it in the smoothie along with spinach, fruit, why protein and whatever else you like and be none the wiser. 

2012-01-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3980206

User image

Champion
Scalded_Dawg - 2012-01-09 2:03 PM
SSMinnow - 2012-01-09 1:53 PM

Nutritional newb here - That article and chart made my head spin!!

Just my $.02 here -- For me personally, right now, I'm going with a simpler approach... working in more whole grains, fruits, veggies... more "whole foods" / meals.   Much less already prepared/processed stuff and much smaller portions with more meals spread thru the day, every three hours or so.

Just basic balance...  My objective is to never be starving hungry or always have a little in the tank burning.  When I can make that work, I feel better, have more energy and train harder.   For so long I was a three meals a day guy and they were big meals... made me a "big" guy.

I think this is a great approach!  If it works and you feel awesome and look terrific it's a keeper!

2012-01-09 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3980289

User image

Champion
marietta

Scalded_Dawg - 2012-01-09 3:41 PM ^^ Where's John........  Wait for it...............

the funny thing is raw nuts is very fitting right now. 

2012-01-09 3:13 PM

User image

Regular

Okay, here's a question:

Why are most of the training plans written in time, rather then distance for the run and bike?  I guess my concern is mainly that I'm not that fast a runner.  When it comes to the race though, I'm going to be going the same distance, not the same amount of time.  So, should I look at increasing the time to account for getting the same distance?  Or, is there a good reason to just stick to the time approach?

And, yes.  I tend to over think things.  Next year, I'll have a coach, but this year I'm going with a canned training plan, so I want to make sure it's going to work for me.

(Feel free to tell me to stop being a dummy and just trust the plan.)

2012-01-09 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3980323

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2012-01-09 12:55 PM

Scalded_Dawg - 2012-01-09 3:41 PM ^^ Where's John........  Wait for it...............

the funny thing is raw nuts is very fitting right now. 

Try to cut back on those, will ya??

ETA: I also put kale and/or spinach in smoothies. I don't notice/mind the veggie taste, although I've heard pineapple helps cut that taste, and I always have pineapple in my smoothies as it's my fave fruit.

Edited by kkcbelle 2012-01-09 4:07 PM
2012-01-09 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3980367

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
_Deb_ - 2012-01-09 4:13 PM

Okay, here's a question:

Why are most of the training plans written in time, rather then distance for the run and bike?  I guess my concern is mainly that I'm not that fast a runner.  When it comes to the race though, I'm going to be going the same distance, not the same amount of time.  So, should I look at increasing the time to account for getting the same distance?  Or, is there a good reason to just stick to the time approach?

And, yes.  I tend to over think things.  Next year, I'll have a coach, but this year I'm going with a canned training plan, so I want to make sure it's going to work for me.

The most prevalent answer I see to that question is that the body only knows time and not distance. I can't speak to that particular point but personally I like training by time better bc 1) I can plan better since a 1 hr run will always be a 1 hr run and 2) I feel training by time allows for the normal ebb and flow of your body. For example, we all have good days and bad days and training by time allows me to not feel too bad/guilty if I have a crappy day.

I love kale chips. I'll have to include in the regular rotation. I also figured out that some of the entries I've been making have mistakenly excluded iron. I also never accounted for iron in herbs and spices and dried fruit. I'm guessing I'm not as deficient as I thought.

Edited by mighty mom 2012-01-09 4:22 PM
2012-01-09 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3980512

User image

Master
I used to be quite iron-deficient -- donated blood regularly and usually just squeaked by on the screening and sometimes was denied. Wah. The blood peeps always told me to go home and eat steak, but I don't eat red meat so that wasn't going to work. About 8-ish years ago I started cooking with cast iron as often as I could, as I have read/heard that iron will leach into your body that way. Still don't eat red meat, but whenever I have had iron tests over the past 2-3 years I've had VERY good numbers. (Actually, I have added ground buffalo to my diet over the past few years -- but only occasionally.) Just another option...!! Oh, and if you are trying to get iron through foods, remember that Vitamin C helps aid iron absorption, so try to combine foods for the ultimate benefit. For example, a spinach salad with strawberries is a good way to go... 
2012-01-09 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
So much great info in the last couple of pages its tough to take it all in. Thanks for posting and keep those questions and answers coming.
2012-01-09 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3979767

User image

Champion
marietta
badgerintx - 2012-01-09 11:58 AM

Here

FYI, that's me on the left in the black striped hat and sunglasses in the Saturday images 52 / 53 / 54 / 55 working on my National level heckling, doing some dollar hand-ups, and ringing the cowbell.  We actually handed up a full 12 pack of beers later in the day during the 35-39 and 30-34 masters races.  The ladies next to us were from the Univ of Iowa and were handing out their phone numbers on little sheets of paper.  

those are some cool pics.  the guy in the black striped hat in no's 52/53/54/55 needs to man up and stick a beer in his hand. 

hey daleitis's... is that drew in # 27 on sunday.. lower right?

2012-01-09 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3980367

User image

Champion

_Deb_ - 2012-01-09 3:13 PM

Okay, here's a question:

From what I have read,  running by distance can mean a slower runner would be out there too long and risk injury or really require a long recovery from that workout.   For my '11 IM, my longest stand-alone run was 2:40, but it took me 4:28 to cover the distance.    Most of my brick runs were less than 30'.  The belief is you need to run long enough to get your legs back, but not so long as to cause a delay in recovery.  I did have 1 2 hour runs as part of BIG TRAINING DAY to get my mental edge and ensure my nutritional plan was sound, but that was it.

If you absolutely feel the need to veer from the plan my suggestion is you do it once and pick a time so that your next week is a recovery week.

I had another thought over night.  You could also insert some 1' walk breaks in the extended run to stave off injury and prolong recovery!  Run 10' walk 1'?

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-01-10 6:57 AM
2012-01-10 5:22 AM

User image

Veteran

Gosh, must have been some good training going on.... quiet around here.

Good morning everybody!  Happy Tuesday!

I updated my BT profile to include my FaceBook link... for all you stalkers out there, feel free to send a friend request.

2012-01-10 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Good nutrition info, I'm using MyFitnessPal and it's helping.

Got back into the pool today and was surprised how good it felt - after the first crappy 100m!

I've become a fan of podcasts for long runs rather than music, I like the Extra Mile podcast but IM Talk's pretty good too

2012-01-10 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

Did a bike workout on the trainer this morning. I need to get up a little earlier and make it longer next time. Now off to work.

Tiana

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117