General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-10-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

Originally posted by Socks

Originally posted by KathyG

Originally posted by rjrankin83 Everything I keep hearing=it's still there around SN. Haven't heard of flat tires but lots of stories about bottle launches

...This^^^^ Plus folks ride all over the road trying to find the smoother part....there isn't any. Some like riding the paint on far right.

Ditto.  the road does suck but its only for about 10 miles.  I dont' know I have ever seen anyone flat out there but there is a LOT of stuff that has been ejected off bikes.  Bottles, gels you name it.  If it can be attached to a bike its been ejected off on that road.  the road is also severely banked esp on the OUT portion.  You just need to suck it up and be very careful.  People do swerve a lot as Kathy said and race debris everywhere.  There is no smooth portion of road.  Its a SIUBC momment

I'm convinced that every IM has a stretch of road like this.  It's there to make sure your bike is put together correctly. 

All kidding aside it is a good idea to go over your bike and check every screw and bolt to make sure they are snug.

2013-10-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: jashac

I've got a broke rear wheel now, with only 2 business days before I pack her up and fly down. So guess I'll be on my backup non-aero road wheels which look pretty goofy on my bike, but whatever they spin. Anybody have good or bad luck renting wheels at an event? I'm considering it, although I trust my own tubing job a little more than that of a rented wheel possible pinch flat. Any local shops in PCB rent for cheaper then the $175 the IM sponsored vendor?
2013-10-24 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jashac

Originally posted by rjrankin83 Everything I keep hearing=it's still there around SN. Haven't heard of flat tires but lots of stories about bottle launches

...This^^^^ Plus folks ride all over the road trying to find the smoother part....there isn't any. Some like riding the paint on far right.

Ditto.  the road does suck but its only for about 10 miles.  I dont' know I have ever seen anyone flat out there but there is a LOT of stuff that has been ejected off bikes.  Bottles, gels you name it.  If it can be attached to a bike its been ejected off on that road.  the road is also severely banked esp on the OUT portion.  You just need to suck it up and be very careful.  People do swerve a lot as Kathy said and race debris everywhere.  There is no smooth portion of road.  Its a SIUBC momment

I'm convinced that every IM has a stretch of road like this.  It's there to make sure your bike is put together correctly. 

All kidding aside it is a good idea to go over your bike and check every screw and bolt to make sure they are snug.

Jashac is right. There was about a 30 mile stretch of crap road in Australia that we rode twice. When I was done there was only 1 bolt on my X-Lab kit that was still locked in, two were missing.

Tighten you bolts, check your batteries on all your gadgets and relax.
2013-10-24 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Here's the link to a spreadsheet on Google docs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqFMmpX-8XL2dFZsYU14aWt6eFQ0bHM1cXE2TnJ2WVE&usp=sharing

Try it if you want to play.    Changes are saved as they are made.

Jasha

Thought I'd bump this up for anyone who hasn't seen it.  Lots of additions since I last looked.   Here's a list of those of us racing, race numbers, screen name and actual name, as well as your goal for the race.    You can add or revise your own entry. 

2013-10-24 6:33 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqFMmpX-8XL2dFZsYU14aWt6eFQ0bHM1cXE2TnJ2WVE&usp=sharing

Jasha

Thought I'd bump this up for anyone who hasn't seen it.  Lots of additions since I last looked.   Here's a list of those of us racing, race numbers, screen name and actual name, as well as your goal for the race.    You can add or revise your own entry. 

I think I managed to add on at any rate

Screen name Socks AKA Doc Socks, Doc, Doc Sue
Race number 505
Goal time.............Honestly I don't have one because the run is such a crap shoot for me.  I will probably be in the 14-15 hour range.  Swim 1:10-1:20 bike 6-6:30 Run................who the hell knows

2013-10-24 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran

Jasha

Just added my info....man it getting down to the wire....just dropped off bike to TBT...oh man

2013-10-24 6:49 PM

Veteran
Just added myself to the list, hope to try and make it to a swim. I'll be in PCB in 6 days!
2013-10-24 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Been awhile since Ive been on BT but here is my info:
Screen name : trihardathena
Race number: 506
Goal time: Honey...I just wanna be in by midnight. Just call me Cinderella. 1:45 on the swim..7:00 on the bike and FOREVER on the run
2013-10-24 7:14 PM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Master
Bronze member

Added to the list.....

Just dropped off the bikes for Tri Bike ..ONE WEEK we will be in Panama City!! 

2013-10-24 7:30 PM
in reply to: isis

User image

On the list. Hoping to make a BT swim meet up or two.

I'm full on into my taper tweak. I wanna do this already!
2013-10-24 9:34 PM
in reply to: trihardathena

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by trihardathena Been awhile since Ive been on BT but here is my info: Screen name : trihardathena Real name: Melissa Race number: 506 Goal time: Honey...I just wanna be in by midnight. Just call me Cinderella. 1:45 on the swim..7:00 on the bike and FOREVER on the run

Melissa, You're Back!  How awesome!  Looking forward to seeing you again.

2013-10-24 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

You guys dropping bikes off makes it seem real, now I'm starting to get a little nervous.  I pack tomorrow and start my journey.  I've got two intermediate stops to make, but most of my tri stuff is with me. 

I always feel like only 2/3 of a triathlete once I've let my bike go. 

2013-10-24 10:03 PM
in reply to: yourecrazy

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Out of curiosity, does anyone know which wind direction is most beneficial? I mean I know it's a loop so there's no miracle tail wind the entire time, but one direction has to be more beneficial than another right?
2013-10-25 7:15 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Veteran
My splits from last year, I ride with power so this shows the changes in wind direction. I did not stop at all including special needs. I do know that the last few miles heading up the beach to T2 was going into a head wind.

I don't think the conditions are predictable enough to know what the wind direction will be.

15mi - 20.22 mi/h
33mi - 19.41 mi/h
55mi - 22.67 mi/h
72mi - 18.89 mi/h
94.7mi - 20.82 mi/h
112mi - 18.91 mi/h

total average - 20.2 mi/h
2013-10-25 8:13 AM

I agree with what Kathy and Socks have said already about this crappy section of road, but let me add my two cents. The white line on the right is a bit smoother, but there isn't much space between the white line and the grass/ditch just to the right. So, if you're going ride on the white line, be very careful - there's little margin for error to the right. And secondly, (yes, this is from personal experience), be careful not to over cook yourself once you finish the bumpy stretch. In other words, as I took the right turn to get off that road last year, I (esp. my backside) was feeling so much better that I tried to make up for the slower speed that I had been riding on the bumpy section by riding faster. I over compensated too much, and think that 'feeling better' burst of speed took its toll on the long false flat section that's just ahead. Lesson learned, be careful not to over compensate, there is still a long way to ride.

Hopefully this helps someone...

2013-10-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
I am coming to spectate and have a 2.5 month old son. In Canada, we have the right to breastfeed anywhere (I have a nursing cover). Do nursing women have the same right in the US? (we will be travelling through new York, Georgia and of course florida.)

2013-10-25 11:44 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Go right ahead. The US, for the most part, is on board with the benefits of breast feeding. Definitely legal.
2013-10-25 11:44 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Go right ahead. The US, for the most part, is on board with the benefits of breast feeding. Definitely legal.
2013-10-25 1:15 PM
in reply to: yourecrazy

New user

I'm in for the event this year. It will be my first. I know a few folks said Florida is unpredictable with weather, however I've never ridden in the rain. I just got a tri bike and start riding back in March, so I'm totally a noob. In Augusta I rode about 20mph on average, but was taking it really easy. On my century rides I average higher around 23-25mph avg with grade variations. In Florida I really wanted to see what I could do on the bike, but speed with water makes me a bit nervous. What is the traction like on the roads, etc? Any advice other than go slow?
2013-10-25 1:57 PM
in reply to: kenny.bunch

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Originally posted by kenny.bunchI'm in for the event this year. It will be my first. I know a few folks said Florida is unpredictable with weather, however I've never ridden in the rain. I just got a tri bike and start riding back in March, so I'm totally a noob. In Augusta I rode about 20mph on average, but was taking it really easy. On my century rides I average higher around 23-25mph avg with grade variations. In Florida I really wanted to see what I could do on the bike, but speed with water makes me a bit nervous. What is the traction like on the roads, etc? Any advice other than go slow?
I can't believe they are predicting rain. It will be year 7 for me and its always been dry as a bone so no idea
2013-10-25 2:24 PM

New user

It may be fine which I'd be fully hyped on, but if it isn't I'd like to prepare myself a little. Rather be smart than foolish

2013-10-25 3:15 PM
in reply to: kenny.bunch

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Originally posted by kenny.bunch

I'm in for the event this year. It will be my first. I know a few folks said Florida is unpredictable with weather, however I've never ridden in the rain. I just got a tri bike and start riding back in March, so I'm totally a noob. In Augusta I rode about 20mph on average, but was taking it really easy. On my century rides I average higher around 23-25mph avg with grade variations. In Florida I really wanted to see what I could do on the bike, but speed with water makes me a bit nervous. What is the traction like on the roads, etc? Any advice other than go slow?

Nice backdoor brag there 23-25mph average over a century is killer! Rain isn't that big of a deal, go fast in the straights and just be cautious in the turns. Also be aware of the painted lines on the road they'll get a little slick when wet. I've been watching the weather too, but I wouldn't pay much attention to it at this point. The last 3 days the forecast has been drastically altered for raceday.
2013-10-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: rjrankin83

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I did IMLP in 2008 where it rained the entire day (no wind).  Biggest thing, having done FL in 2010 I think this is a bigger issue in FL, is paying attention to the other riders in the turns.  The congestion with some riders being extra cautious may make things jam up a bit more if it is raining.  I would also be careful of standing water.  I saw a pretty nasty wreck in Lake Placid where a rider went into some standing water and it was hiding a pot hole.  But the above advice on painted lines and slowing a bit more in the corners is spot on.

At Musselman last year it rained, and a lot of riders had multiple flat tires, so I am planning on putting 2 tubes on the bike and a couple more in special needs just in case.  There were several riders that ran out of tubes and missed the bike cut off due to the SAG vehicles being overwhelmed.  I think the sharp objects stick to the tires when they are wet.

2013-10-25 10:41 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Regular
Socks, do you have any more call before next saturday? I return from vacation Sunday to take call Monday, mop up all the leftovers just in time to leave Wednesday night. Whew.
And my legs are destroyed from walking around Disney/Animal King/Epcot/Hollywood for 6 days with a 45lb weight on my shoulders (my son). I need to recover them quickly (lots of rolling this week).
2013-10-25 10:50 PM
in reply to: #4883351

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Most beneficial wind direction? Tail wind.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 41