BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Thought I'd start this week off with a question for the group:

What is the one equipment upgrade you want the most? We all know triathletes like their toys so shoot.

I have two, one that my head says I could use and one that my heart says.

1. Head: New Rotor crankset with shorter arms and Qrings

2. Heart: Race wheels (torn between Flos and HED 3 front with a disc)

2013-05-28 8:00 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Need: Speed suit for Muncie since I am likely not going to be able to use a wetsuit. My tri gear is like a parachute, so need something compressive. (Scott - how was yours for Texas).

Want: Race wheels, but not ready to spend that money ... can probably borrow some if needed.
2013-05-28 8:07 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
I do love my toys that's for sure.   I'm trying to think what single item would give me the most benefit.  Some of the things I've thrown around in my head, a power meter, or an actual tri bike (not a road bike) are probably at the top of the list.
2013-05-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by carrie639

Need: Speed suit for Muncie since I am likely not going to be able to use a wetsuit. My tri gear is like a parachute, so need something compressive. (Scott - how was yours for Texas).

Want: Race wheels, but not ready to spend that money ... can probably borrow some if needed.

I loved mine. It's the BlueSeventy. It did rub a bit under my arms. I thought I hit it up with enough tri glide but not so much. Lesson learned there as I still have a scab under my right arm.
2013-05-28 8:17 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I definitely need to work on pacing ... but I am certainly worried about nutrition. I seem to have trouble getting enough fluilds in on the bike, regularly, and on the run my body seems to not like having so much sugary things (gels, blocks, fuilds). My stomach is finicky ...

I am getting tons better at getting blocks/gels in on time on the bike, but the fluids ... I just feel full a lot, and I am not eating a lot in the am before training. I am a heavy sweater, so this is going to be a problem. I feel like I might be running myself behind, but if you feel full, do you still force the fluids in? I know I am NOT getting 1 bottle per hour, but every ride has been in the 40's, 50's to low 60's. The one ride above 70 I definitely did get a full bottle in, maybe more.
2013-05-28 8:29 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I definitely need to work on pacing ... but I am certainly worried about nutrition. I seem to have trouble getting enough fluilds in on the bike, regularly, and on the run my body seems to not like having so much sugary things (gels, blocks, fuilds). My stomach is finicky ...

I am getting tons better at getting blocks/gels in on time on the bike, but the fluids ... I just feel full a lot, and I am not eating a lot in the am before training. I am a heavy sweater, so this is going to be a problem. I feel like I might be running myself behind, but if you feel full, do you still force the fluids in? I know I am NOT getting 1 bottle per hour, but every ride has been in the 40's, 50's to low 60's. The one ride above 70 I definitely did get a full bottle in, maybe more.

You have a P2 right? What is your hydration set up on the front? Maybe a straw in your face will remind/force you to drink. I try to drink every 10 to 15 minutes in smallish quantities to not feel sloshing or full of liquids. Also you can set the alarms on your computer to prompt you to drink or eat.

2013-05-28 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Yes, P2. I have a speedfill set up with the straw, 1 bottle on the frame and x-lab 2 bottle off the back. So its not for lack of bottle availability.

Maybe the alarm will be a good idea. Need to figure out how to set that up.

I have another long ride this coming weekend, 50-62 miles, so should use at least 3-4 bottles on the bike. Maybe think about it as 1 bottle every 15-17 miles. Weather likely to be high 50's ...

On that aero bottle set up ... how do you balance taking a bottle out of the torpedo mount to drink without a straw? I am guessing a lot of practice, or are you getting out of aero to sip?
2013-05-28 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

A lot of people have issues taking in the fluids they need initially, but they have to work on it. That's why you practice race day nutrition during training -- you can train your body to take in what it needs on race day. A person who is a heavy sweater is looking at 2-3 bottles / hour on a hot race day.
2013-05-28 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
1. Head tells me to get Quarq power crankset
2. Heart tells me aero wheels. Flo's seems to be the choice but a HED setup would be nice as well.
2013-05-28 9:57 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Good weekend this weekend. Gained a pound or two. Smoked some wings again for a cookout on Sunday. I also had a sugar craving all weekend form some reason. I resisted mostly but fell for some of the great desserts that were available.

3:15 Long ride with brick 30 min run done on Saturday. Rest day was on Sunday. Monday was a 3k in the pool and 1hr ZR ride on the bike which felt great and really flushed the legs. Another big week to get through and then recovery week.
2013-05-28 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
101 days and counting until the HIM.

Head would say - swim coach.

Heart would say - swim coach.

But since we're talking gadgets here...since I just got my fancy TT bike, it's hard to dream big right now, so my little wishes...

Head would say - better hydration systems for both bikes

Heart would say - power meter (just 'cause I want a gadget that cool)

Speaking of gadgets...bought Hubby the Garmin 910 w/ quick release kit for father's day...at least he'll stop borrowing my 305.

2013-05-28 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by kaburns1214

A lot of people have issues taking in the fluids they need initially, but they have to work on it. That's why you practice race day nutrition during training -- you can train your body to take in what it needs on race day. A person who is a heavy sweater is looking at 2-3 bottles / hour on a hot race day.

Yep. I averaged a little over 2 bottle and could have taken in more. To follow up on what Kelly is saying about practicing race day nutrition I advise doing this on EVERY long ride/run. I know that many of us aren't at what we would consider our ideal weight, but this is 2 workouts a week and being 2-5 lbs over where you want on race day is of far less consequence than having your gut trained to accept what you're giving it.
2013-05-28 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I want a comfortable, high quality wetsuit with a superior fit. I want one and I need one, but I won't be getting one this year. I would also love a power meter because sometimes I lack self discipline when it comes to monitoring HR, and I would love to see if the power meter would be an easier measure of effort for me on the roads.
2013-05-28 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

You have a P2 right? What is your hydration set up on the front? Maybe a straw in your face will remind/force you to drink. I try to drink every 10 to 15 minutes in smallish quantities to not feel sloshing or full of liquids. Also you can set the alarms on your computer to prompt you to drink or eat.

I make myself drink every 10 minutes (more if needed).
2013-05-28 11:16 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by jarvy01

I make myself drink every 10 minutes (more if needed).

X2^^^ If you train yourself to do it will become second nature. On cooler days I have noticed I take in less on my sips every 10 but I still drink every 10 mins no matter what
2013-05-28 11:24 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I want a comfortable, high quality wetsuit with a superior fit. I want one and I need one, but I won't be getting one this year. I would also love a power meter because sometimes I lack self discipline when it comes to monitoring HR, and I would love to see if the power meter would be an easier measure of effort for me on the roads.

I do not use power meters to govern training. Power is like pace. Its something you measure while trainng and something you can use to measure progress and to help pace on race day but it shouldn't be used to "pace" training. Biking by power is like running by pace -- it doesn't take into account all of the stressors in your life and can't help measure the total load you may be placing on your body.

2013-05-28 1:31 PM

User image

Expert

I do not use power meters to govern training. Power is like pace. Its something you measure while trainng and something you can use to measure progress and to help pace on race day but it shouldn't be used to "pace" training. Biking by power is like running by pace -- it doesn't take into account all of the stressors in your life and can't help measure the total load you may be placing on your body.

I use it govern my recovery days and have found I'm much fresher after where as HR sometimes didn't leave my legs feeling recovered.
2013-05-28 1:46 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by everlong

I use it govern my recovery days and have found I'm much fresher after where as HR sometimes didn't leave my legs feeling recovered.

I get the feeling that you have a somewhat hard time stimulating your HR on the trainer in general. This is one of the places I think power is nice.
2013-05-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by everlong

With recovery days, its almost impossible to have "too low" of a HR -- I don't see any issues with sitting below your recovery zone HR if your body needs it.
2013-05-28 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.
2013-05-28 2:55 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by uhcoog So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.

That's awesome actually.  

2013-05-28 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by uhcoog

So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.
What?!?! I am suppose to know my races for next year already?!
2013-05-28 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I am no further than July right now ... only because I want to see how it goes. Actually, I am lying, but other stuff is deferrals so that does not count.

So back to the speed suit thing .. I know Blue Seventy is a good one, but what are the other brands that make them (Orca, TYR). Any others that are cheaper? I don't want a 1 piece tri suit.
2013-05-28 3:13 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by kidtri33
Originally posted by uhcoog So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.
What?!?! I am suppose to know my races for next year already?!

I know right?!?!  I barely have this year figured out, let alone next year.  

2013-05-28 3:22 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I am no further than July right now ... only because I want to see how it goes. Actually, I am lying, but other stuff is deferrals so that does not count.

So back to the speed suit thing .. I know Blue Seventy is a good one, but what are the other brands that make them (Orca, TYR). Any others that are cheaper? I don't want a 1 piece tri suit.

Tyr has the Torque and I did see some Orcas and Zoots. They're like wetsuits, meant to come off in T1. There are a few like Desoto's lift foil that have pads, but they're all one piece to eliminate seems/drag/etc. Kinda the point.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86