BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-05-31 6:10 AM
in reply to: #1430833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!
Aikidoman - 2008-05-29 11:54 AM

Comments anyone?

I wonder if I take the "wrong" approach to training (which then turns it into kind of a "grind".

I'm SO particular to keeping my plan and keeping exactly to my workout.  IE, if I'm even one minute short on the bike, I feel icky.  I feel bad (but not as much) if I'm one minute over.  If I'm supposed to be in Z2 for the workout, I panic when I drop into Z1 or go too high into Z3.  I make sure I hit all my sets for swimming on the mark, run withing seconds of my desired pace on runs....

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that it becomes so analytical and "sterile" that it loses it's fun at times.  It's never a "chore" (thank goodness - otherwise I couldn't keep doing this) but training has lost it's "joy" to a point.

I had such a nice run in DC just checking things out and forgeting the HR, distance, time, etc.  I know you can't do that ALL the time, but maybe more that I do now?  For example, I'm supposed to run 45 mintues tonight, 10' wu, 10x400 at race pace, 10' cd...  I would actually like to run, but not that particular workout.

I guess that's the difference between working out and training and need to HTFU...... 

How do you guys deal with "sticking to the letter of the law" when it comes to plans or just kind of going by "feel"?  Maybe do some cross training like MTN biking instead of strictly road biking?

Maybe I just feel a little burned out and didn't realize it untill I took the week off and had time to think about it.  I was going over my IM plan, and was HAPPY, that the training hours seemed reduced from what I'm used to for the first month or the plan.

Ah, just rambling...

Based on my experience, first I followed a training plan, and only followed it for the total volume, and did the intensity of each workout based on how I felt not what it listed. This ended up in me overtraining, because I went too hard too often. Next I again followed the total volume of the plan, kept the HRM on for all recovery zone 1 work, however, did all other workouts by "feel" not by the given intensity listed. This seems to work really well for me. The catch, I'm not a FOPer and will not get there by this route.

IMO, following a generic training plan exactly is a big risk. Not everyone requires the same amount of recovery from any given workout, and not everyone responds to high intensity work the same either (especically for running).

Based on my experience as a runner, the more I go by "feel" the lower my injury risk and the farther away from FOP I get. The more I push myself to follow the high intensity work in a plan (intervals, tempo runs, etc.) the faster my times get yet the injury/burnout/overtraining risk goes way up.

So, IMO, I think that maybe you could find a compromise here, do some of the workouts to match the plan but not all. Make sure to keep zone 1 in zone 1 so you stay healthy.

Seriously though, I don't have tons of experience in tri, so I could be way off here

2008-06-02 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Expert
WA

shiggy, when do we get to see alaska pics???

2008-06-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1438011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
lisazapato - 2008-06-02 10:39 AM

shiggy, when do we get to see alaska pics???

Well..... we used the one-use toss-out cameras, so didn't get any digital pics unless I buy a CD when I have them developed.I always am nervous about bringing the digital camera on a trip...

Do stay tuned, maybe I'll get a CD

2008-06-02 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1438157

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I hope everyone's weekend was good.  I can't wait to read some race reports!

Just curious, does this mentor group end at the end of the month?  Wasn't sure how it works.

Mostly, because I may be needing more advice after I start my next plan.  I'm venturing into unexplored waters by the end of the month.... 

2008-06-02 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1438157

User image

Sensei
Sin City

double post....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-06-02 10:53 AM
2008-06-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1438298

Champion
South Jersey
Aikidoman - 2008-06-02 11:52 AM

Just curious, does this mentor group end at the end of the month?  Wasn't sure how it works.

Mostly, because I may be needing more advice after I start my next plan.  I'm venturing into unexplored waters by the end of the month.... 

I think we're in business through August. And, even if it does "end," the thread will still be around, so we can continue doing our thing.

2008-06-02 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1438712

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-06-02 10:39 AM
Aikidoman - 2008-06-02 11:52 AM

I think we're in business through August. And, even if it does "end," the thread will still be around, so we can continue doing our thing.

Woot!  I'm pretty set on HIM and down training - but this IM attempt has me on edge....  I could use some help fo sho.....

2008-06-02 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Hey guys, it's nice to be back and asking questions againLaughing

Just wondering if anyone has delt with, or know about ITB issues on the bike. On all my long rides (90+ min) the very bottom of my ITB (right leg, basically the outside of the knee) gets inflammed. It doesn't seem to bother me while running (knock on wood). Do you think the problem is my bike set-up or is it just because my ITB is tight in general? So far I've delt with this by taking a very easy day following the long bike ride and taking anti-inflammatories for a day or two. This is not really a cycle I am happy about though. I just bought "the stick" maybe this will help, once I figure out how to use it correctly. Thoughts?

2008-06-02 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1439160

User image

Sensei
Sin City
shiggy - 2008-06-02 12:18 PM

Just wondering if anyone has delt with, or know about ITB issues on the bike. On all my long rides (90+ min) the very bottom of my ITB (right leg, basically the outside of the knee) gets inflammed. It doesn't seem to bother me while running (knock on wood). Do you think the problem is my bike set-up or is it just because my ITB is tight in general? So far I've delt with this by taking a very easy day following the long bike ride and taking anti-inflammatories for a day or two. This is not really a cycle I am happy about though. I just bought "the stick" maybe this will help, once I figure out how to use it correctly. Thoughts?

I get something similar (tendon on the outside of right knee).  Looks like you have looked into it a little more than me.  I just live with it to be honest.  I may make note of my cleat position.  Since I tend to unclip with my right foot most of the time at stops on a ride, the cleat may twist a degree or two over time - so I may make some small adjustments. 

2008-06-02 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1439356

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Hey everyone!

Shiggy, I don't know how much this helps, but a good stretch I learned for the outside ITB area is to take a towel/belt/rope and tie it around the ball of your foot and do a hamstring stretch and then pull that leg across your body.  Keep your butt flat on the ground though and keep a slight arch in your lower-back.  I hurt my back in April and the Physical Therapist showed me all kinds of leg/hammy stretches that have really been great.  I wish I could get them digitally to show you.  the description is about the best I can do.  Of course, one of Lauren's ice-baths work too if you can stand the pain...

Aikidoman, I sure am glad you asked that.  I was just thinking that this is a good group and it'll suck if we get cut-off soon. 

I've got my next race coming-up Sunday.  I had such a great brick last Sunday and I'm losing weight so fast (I was 228 after my workout Sunday) that I think I'm really ready.  Problem is I'll be out in the sun in dry dry Texas all this week.  I got out here last night and spent the day trying to track some people down today. We work all-day tomorrow, weds, thurs.  I guess I'll try to get a run tonight, Weds, and Thurs and then a quick swim and ride this Saturday to get ready.  I hate tapering...

2008-06-02 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1439858

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

I know I know, double posts...

I just wanted to say--The trailer for that movie, The Happening is pretty darn scarry.  I just saw it come on the television.  Scarry...

2008-06-02 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1439867

User image

Sensei
Sin City
GomesBolt - 2008-06-02 3:48 PM

I know I know, double posts...

I just wanted to say--The trailer for that movie, The Happening is pretty darn scarry.  I just saw it come on the television.  Scarry...

heh!  A true double post is when you accidently post the same message twice by hitting the "submit button" two times on accident. 

You have two different thoughts, so you are cool!

You just posted twice, and several minutes apart....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-06-02 7:02 PM
2008-06-03 5:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for the comments... I will do what I can to stretch it and make it more comfortable on the bike.
2008-06-03 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1440671

Champion
South Jersey
Is someone in this group celebrating a birthday today???
2008-06-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1441485

User image

Expert
WA

LaurenSU02 - 2008-06-03 12:05 PM Is someone in this group celebrating a birthday today???

Oh yeah - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRACI!!!!!  

2008-06-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1441502

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Happy Birthday Traci!

2008-06-03 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1439160

Champion
South Jersey
shiggy - 2008-06-02 3:18 PM

Hey Shiggy,

First, are you sure it's ITB that's bothering you and not the hamstring attachment or something? Typically, an ITB issue on the bike is caused by the seat being too high. I think we've established before that that's not the case and that your hips aren't "rocking" while riding. (Or maybe we didn't and I'm thinking of someone else.)

In any case, unless you really increased your bike volume, it would probably be a fit issue - seat height, cleat positioning. Also, did this only just start bothering you on your first long ride after your vacation? If so, it might just be because of that...

As for working on it, the stick is great and hit the entire ITB, not just where it hurts. I find the foam roller to be far more effective for ITB than The Stick. If you have a foam roller, make sure you work your hips. If it's really painful going down the ITB, working your hips for a while first will make it a bit more tolerable. I know the pain isn't up there, but often the site of pain isn't the site of the true problem area. You can also use a tennis ball between your hip and the wall to try to get a good massage. Feel free to heat and ice. If heat reduces pain, it's fine to use. Also, ice massage the point of pain. Just get a dixie cup, fill it with water, freeze it, and then when you're ready to use, rip off the top inch or so of the dixie cup so that some ice is exposed. Use a little pressure and just swirl the ice around on the skin at the point of the pain. Only do this for 5-7 mins.

Also, stretch, stretch, stretch !

2008-06-03 11:18 AM

User image

Expert
WA
owl_girl, when are we going to hear from you about Boise?  I've been checking logs every day but still no word!!!  we are dying here!
2008-06-03 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1441485

User image

Master
Olney, MD

LaurenSU02 - 2008-06-03 12:05 PM Is someone in this group celebrating a birthday today???

ohhh.. ME!! 

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys! 

2008-06-03 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Yeah!!!  I'm home!!!!  Here's a quick update until I post my RR:

The swim SUCKED!!!!!!  Bike was just as expected!!!  Run was a little slower than I would have liked but I wasted an aweful lot of energy fighting the swim.

Total time=7:25:20.  I have lots of room for improvement the next time I do a HIM!  Cheers!

2008-06-03 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

owl_girl - Awesome! You finished! Can't wait to read about it, glad to have you back!

Traci- Happy B-day!!!

Lauren - Thanks for all the advice. I did not do any jumps in bike volume, and yes this did bother me before the trip. One thing that really blows my mind, is that no matter how many degrees of float I allow, my left foot sits with the heel out as much as possible and the right sits with the heel in as much as possible. ????? So I am convinced that my pissed-off right knee is because I have no idea what the "ideal amount of float" is for that side.

Do you know any websites with pictures of how to properly use the stick or foam roller? Is it true to roll it over the outer quad muscle, not the side/bone area? Roll up towards your heart only?

Edited by shiggy 2008-06-03 1:42 PM

2008-06-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1442040

User image

Sensei
Sin City
owl_girl - 2008-06-03 11:26 AM

The swim SUCKED!!!!!!  Bike was just as expected!!!  Run was a little slower than I would have liked but I wasted an aweful lot of energy fighting the swim.

Total time=7:25:20.  I have lots of room for improvement the next time I do a HIM!  Cheers!

So cool!  I can't wait to read it.  I did my first in about the same time and just did the second under 7 hours.  So you will improve FOR SURE!  Woot!

2008-06-03 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
owl_girl - 2008-06-03 2:26 PM

That's awesome. Congrats.  Can't wait to hear all about it. 

2008-06-03 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
WA
owl_girl - 2008-06-03 2:26 PM

Yeah!!! I'm home!!!! Here's a quick update until I post my RR:

The swim SUCKED!!!!!! Bike was just as expected!!! Run was a little slower than I would have liked but I wasted an aweful lot of energy fighting the swim.

Total time=7:25:20. I have lots of room for improvement the next time I do a HIM! Cheers!

congratulations on finishing!!!  that's great, and we are glad to have you back!!  eagerly anticipating your RR .

hubby did his first HIM in 7:50-ish but his 2nd in 5:55, all by working a lot on his swim - you can so do it too!  great job chica!  

2008-06-03 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1442117

Champion
South Jersey
shiggy - 2008-06-03 2:41 PM

Lauren - Thanks for all the advice. I did not do any jumps in bike volume, and yes this did bother me before the trip. One thing that really blows my mind, is that no matter how many degrees of float I allow, my left foot sits with the heel out as much as possible and the right sits with the heel in as much as possible. ????? So I am convinced that my pissed-off right knee is because I have no idea what the "ideal amount of float" is for that side.

Do you know any websites with pictures of how to properly use the stick or foam roller? Is it true to roll it over the outer quad muscle, not the side/bone area? Roll up towards your heart only?

No sites to direct you to...sorry. Do not use the stick over your shin bone by any means. Actually, I guess there are quite a few bones in the body I wouldn't go over with The Stick. As for the foam roller, you're cool using it on the bone in the hip. I see my Rolfer very frequently (1-2 times/week), and he does work right on the bone all the time. I like to just sit there with my hip on the roller for a minute or so...really helps to loosen everything up. Also, not true about only going up tow'd the heart. Starting at the hip and working down is very effective for ITB. (You can go the opposite way as well.)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66