General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 193

2010-01-16 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2617088

User image

Master
PA
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-16 9:04 AMThank you for the tips. I usually incorporate swim golf in my drill (to help improve length of stride) throughout the week and consistently have a score of 75-78. Sometimes I get lucky and score around 73 but it's rare. I usually take around 33 strokes per 50 yds, out of curiosity how many strokes do faster swimmers take per 50?
16 for me in one length. The guy I swim with is faster than me and does 13-14 per length.

2010-01-17 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2337428

User image

Only 188 Days Left People!!  Doesn't seem like a whole heck of a lot of time to get ready for a 140.6 mile Race!! 

2010-01-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2617088

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
HI there
to give you an idea from an OK swimmer but not so  speedy like jenn and a few of the rest of them....

I take about 19 strokes per length.  I can do flip turns but am often lazy about them and find my push off is stronger without them!! (given that we don't need them in tri's very often I don't tend to work on them)

I swam a 1:07 something at Placid last time i did it (2007).  I swam around a 1:30 to 1:35 per 100 for distances greater than about 200y at that time. 
I placed myself middle, about a 1/3 way back.  I put my head down and swam following people (it was a bit rough to start and I can tell you no men are worried about bashing through women in that race!) and found myself right on top of that underwater line (and I was intending to keep clear of it).  But actually it wasn't that crowded there so I stuck with it for most of the time.  I think my IM time was enhanced by the whirlpool effect as I don't think I could swim that time for that distance in a pool.
2010-01-18 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2615852

User image

I too am using the trifuel plan, with minor changes.  I used it for my first 140.6 last year at beach to battleship, and it got me to the line.  Im thinking with more base, it should get me there at placid as well, considering the course will be much harder.  Hope everyone is training safe!  Cant wait til spring :/
2010-01-18 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Anyone here do IMLP on the BT Ironman plan (the free one)? I might tweak things here or there, but I guess I'd just like someone to say "Yeah! That's a great plan and if you stick to it and do the work, you'll totally cross the finishline!"

Currently, I'm trying to do extra bike workouts so I have a stronger base on that going into the spring, since my biking sucks. (As does my swimming, but I know you can gain far more on time/energy by being a better cyclist than being a better swimmer).

2010-01-18 10:10 PM

1. Is this your first IM? yes
2. Have you done LP before? no
3. What are your goals for the 2010 race? well to finish strong and with a smile I hope !
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc)

I asked this in another dscussion group and it seeed like they were all a little advanced and told me to just go up to Placid and ride you will latch onto a group and be fine.
Well I don't really want that kind of anxiety and if I am going up to Lake Placid for theweekend I would want some things planned out.  checked into about 4-5 of the camps online and they range from free- the Epic Camp with no support at all and just folow the leader, to very expensive over 700 dollars and that is well out of my price range.  There is one the firemanironman camp tht afew people mentioned that was very good and only 149.00 for the whole weeked of support and also two diners included and with proffesionals like Karen Smyers and others give classes and lectures...I don't know this seems good to me but I am only going up oncebefore the race and want to make the right choice. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks H

2010-01-19 3:05 AM
in reply to: #2620882

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

trigirlswim - 2010-01-19 1:10 PM

3. What are your goals for the 2010 race? well to finish strong and with a smile I hope !
4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc)

I asked this in another dscussion group and it seeed like they were all a little advanced and told me to just go up to Placid and ride you will latch onto a group and be fine.
Well I don't really want that kind of anxiety and if I am going up to Lake Placid for theweekend I would want some things planned out.  checked into about 4-5 of the camps online and they range from free- the Epic Camp with no support at all and just folow the leader, to very expensive over 700 dollars and that is well out of my price range.  There is one the firemanironman camp tht afew people mentioned that was very good and only 149.00 for the whole weeked of support and also two diners included and with proffesionals like Karen Smyers and others give classes and lectures...I don't know this seems good to me but I am only going up oncebefore the race and want to make the right choice. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks H

Welcome to BT! and welcome to the best thread on BT.  You'll find tons and tons of info on BT and the people on this IMLP thread are some of the most knowledgeable folks on the entire site.  Just give them a minute to stop training and they’ll be a huge help in answering your questions. 

2010-01-19 9:37 AM

3. What are your goals for the 2010 race? To finish and not get divorced before the race

Yes -- I was up there last year as a volunteer (Run #1 near Lisa G's) and took some time to ride the bike. I came away with a very healthy respect for the course....especially the stretch from Jay to Wilmington and then the final 10 miles that everyone talks about. The other thing, though, is the Keene descent. Not to sound like a baby, but I rode it on two different days with nobody around and found the speed a little scary. I can imagine it being even more uncomfortable on race day with people screaming by me at 50 mph! I currently ride a Cervelo Dual and have been seriously thinking about an upgrade for LP.

My question is this: for this specific bike course do you still think a tri bike provides an advantage? While flying down Keene I was lamenting my front end and wishing I was on a road bike that would provide more stability and control. A similar thought crossed my mind while doing the final climb back into LP....although at that time I was just wishing for a slightly lighter bike of any kind. So for this specific race the issue is whether to go to a road bike or upgrade to a higher end carbon tri bike.

Any thoughts?
2010-01-19 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2621457

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
greyguy - 2010-01-19 10:37 AM 1. Is this your first IM? yes 2. Have you done LP before? no 3. What are your goals for the 2010 race? To finish and not get divorced before the race 4. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc) Yes -- I was up there last year as a volunteer (Run #1 near Lisa G's) and took some time to ride the bike. I came away with a very healthy respect for the course....especially the stretch from Jay to Wilmington and then the final 10 miles that everyone talks about. The other thing, though, is the Keene descent. Not to sound like a baby, but I rode it on two different days with nobody around and found the speed a little scary. I can imagine it being even more uncomfortable on race day with people screaming by me at 50 mph! I currently ride a Cervelo Dual and have been seriously thinking about an upgrade for LP. My question is this: for this specific bike course do you still think a tri bike provides an advantage? While flying down Keene I was lamenting my front end and wishing I was on a road bike that would provide more stability and control. A similar thought crossed my mind while doing the final climb back into LP....although at that time I was just wishing for a slightly lighter bike of any kind. So for this specific race the issue is whether to go to a road bike or upgrade to a higher end carbon tri bike. Any thoughts?

If road bikes provided an advantage for IMLP then everyone would be riding one.  As it is, you'll see very few... and for good reason.  If you get out of your aero-bars on the descent it will provide additional comfort, though you'll see lots of people riding it on their bars as well... on all types of bikes.  That tells me the secret is not the type of bike, but the rider's skill.  And to be honest, the "skill" is probably more about comfort/fear than actual bike handling.
2010-01-19 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
I am with Greyguy regarding answer to question #3.
2010-01-19 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Ask Jenn (with 2N`s) they forming some sort of BT get together for IMLP and Plzzz do not spell Jenn(with 2N`s wrong) her user name is gospennstate  on here.

2010-01-19 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2621713

User image

Master
PA
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-19 11:56 AM Ask Jenn (with 2N`s) they forming some sort of BT get together for IMLP and Plzzz do not spell Jenn(with 2N`s wrong) her user name is gospennstate on here.

Ha... Ha... Ha...    gps also works. 

Camps:

There are a bunch.  I am hopeful to go to JorgeM's camp this year.  There are a few BTers who will be there.  I did a little bit of the Fireman camp as well last year.  It's a huge camp, and everyone stays in all different hotels.  So basically I felt like what I got out of it was a supported ride and the banquet dinner w/ speakers (speakers were helpful), which last year you paid an extra $30 for i think.   Aid stations set up is nice....but not enough for me to do it again.

If you print off a cue sheet on mapmyride, it's pretty easy to figure out the route.  There is a convenience store at the out & back, so it's an easy place mid way to stop & buy more drinks.  Then you can stop back at your hotel at the end of Loop 1 for more drinks.  So it's not a hard ride to do self-supported b/c of the location of that convenience store. 
2010-01-19 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2621900

User image

Master
Wilmington
gopennstate - 2010-01-19 12:06 PM
Livestrong191 - 2010-01-19 11:56 AM Ask Jenn (with 2N`s) they forming some sort of BT get together for IMLP and Plzzz do not spell Jenn(with 2N`s wrong) her user name is gospennstate on here.

Ha... Ha... Ha...    gps also works. 

Haha I was going to write miss pink piggie swim toes but that would have made you sound wierd lol
2010-01-19 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2621457

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
greyguy
Given your answer to q3 then for q4 just ride whatever bike you are going to be comfortable on for that length of time.    When I did it in 2007 there were quite a few road bikes there but it was predominantly tri bikes.  I rode a road bike with a triple ring and it worked beautifully for me.
Having said that, since then I have got a tri bike which I intend to ride. 
2010-01-19 12:56 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
trigirlswim - 2010-01-18 11:10 PM

Thanks H

It depends on what you want to get out of the camp. If you need coaching and support, you'll want to pay more and go with something more structured. If you just want ride support (water, etc.) then you can go with the cheaper camps. I've ridden the course totally alone with no support and done just fine. I've also ridden with a camp (Jorge's camp last year) and while it was really nice to have the on-course support and motivation, I still rode alone. It's a training camp and people are there to push themselves so it's not like you're out in a pack of riders.

The group swim was really nice, but beyond that, I chose to do my own thing when it came to shorter rides and the running. As Jenn said, the course is really easy to follow. There are very few turns so it's hard to get lost.

I enjoyed the camp mostly for the social aspect. It's really nice to share the training weekend with others training for an Ironman.
2010-01-19 3:22 PM

3. What are your goals for the 2010 race? Finish Happy!!!

I have a few friends looking to come up to watch and cheer on their IM virgin friend...anyone know if there are any available rooms anywhere?

2010-01-19 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2622537

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Kevlujohn - 2010-01-19 4:22 PM 1. Is this your first IM? yes
3. What are your goals for the 2010 race? Finish Happy!!!

I have a few friends looking to come up to watch and cheer on their IM virgin friend...anyone know if there are any available rooms anywhere?

Most places sold out the day after the race, but have waiting lists. They may want to look at renting a house if there are a few of them, try VRBO.com. Good luck!
2010-01-19 9:27 PM

New user

The Firemanironman camp runs over 3 days and is geared for all levels. That is the beauty of such a large group -- you will always have someone to ride and run with. You will complete all disciplines of the race during the time of day you will be doing it on race day. You will have completed the full Ironman and then some over the 3 days and the confidence and mental visualization you will gain is priceless. Yes, we have had had countless Hawaii Qualifiiers and podium athletes. This year we have Lake Placid age group champions, Hawaii age group champions and an overall Hawaii World Champion Karen Smyers will be joining us this year, but everyone is equally important and we try and focus on the first timer and provide them with the knowledge, confidence and attitude to have a great race. This is not a testosterone hammer fest (OK, maybe the lead group is) but the only real requirement is to leave your ego at home. We train hard and have a lot of fun...too much fun sometimes...

This is not a money maker we keep this as inexpensive as we can put the money back into the camp to provide a great knowledge base and support unit to provide everything you will need to have a successful weekend and race.   Many people choose to go up and ride the course themselves and some choose a all- inclusive camp. It really is a personal choice, and what ever you decide we wish you a heathy safe journey. 

• Friday eve 1 loop swim optional

• Saturday morn 2 loops of the bike followed by a 45 min run

• Sunday morn - mass swim start/2 loops afternoon - 18-22 mile run on the course

• Monday a.m. - Hungover half Ironman, (optional) 1 loop swim, 1 loop bike, 1 loop run
  • Between all these workouts we have classes and clinics that you are welcome to participate in or not such as: on the road bike maintenance, swim strategies, running efficiency, Yoga, nutrition. Saturday dinner is a great feast with motivational speakers. Sunday BBQ and much more. I am really not trying to sell this we have plenty of people and a great following year after year, as does the EPIC day of training. The classes are there for you to sit in if you like but naturally how much you partake in is up to you.

Good Luck
Train Safe
Larry Parker
www.firemanironman.com
www.firemanironman.blogspot.com
2010-01-20 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Hey greyguy and Jackie,

I will be on a road bike this year--can't afford to buy another bike. I'm sure some people use road bikes because they're more comfortable on them, but I would be a hefty percentage of the road bikers at the race are like me and are just riding what they have because of the expense of getting a tri bike. I am going to go to a bike fitter and see how much we can modify it to make the aero position more comfortable on it, though.

Kelly
2010-01-20 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2623582

BTW, I have been reading this thread for a while and have found it very helpful to me as a first timer. My name is Brian and I am a 42 year old living on Long Island with my wife and three kids. Work is as lawyer in NYC and commute + family + job = need for maximum training efficiency....so many thanks to the veterans for sharing the knowledge!

2010-01-20 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2624386

User image

Master
PA
greyguy - 2010-01-20 1:51 PM BTW, I have been reading this thread for a while and have found it very helpful to me as a first timer. My name is Brian and I am a 42 year old living on Long Island with my wife and three kids. Work is as lawyer in NYC and commute + family + job = need for maximum training efficiency....so many thanks to the veterans for sharing the knowledge!

Welcome! 

Brian...you need to meet Bobby (Dream Chaser).  He's in your neck of the woods.

2010-01-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2623582

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
KWin - 2010-01-20 9:01 AM Hey greyguy and Jackie,

I will be on a road bike this year--can't afford to buy another bike. I'm sure some people use road bikes because they're more comfortable on them, but I would be a hefty percentage of the road bikers at the race are like me and are just riding what they have because of the expense of getting a tri bike. I am going to go to a bike fitter and see how much we can modify it to make the aero position more comfortable on it, though.

Kelly

Kelly,

Do this sooner rather than later.  And don't skimp on a good fitter.  It doesn't matter if you're riding a 10 yr old road bike or a brand new top of the line tri bike, if you're fit on it properly you will maximize the benefits of it.  I used a road bike with aerobars for 2 seasons.  Not a problem.

But pay good money for a great bike fit.
2010-01-20 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Thanks Marvarnett for the advice, I will do that. We have a great bike fitter here and I had him set me up on the bike originally--gonna go back to him and get it dialed in fairly soon. Thank you!

Greyguy, I am also on Long Island. Lots of tri people here. Are you on the Runner's Edge tri team? It's a great way to find training buddies, learn from people, etc. Welcome to the forum.

Kelly
2010-01-20 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2620690

User image

Expert
New York
This got lost at the bottom of page 40-something, so I am reposting, in between the discussion of seat height and supported LP rides.

swishyskirt - 2010-01-18 9:08 PM

Anyone here do IMLP on the BT Ironman plan (the free one)? I might tweak things here or there, but I guess I'd just like someone to say "Yeah! That's a great plan and if you stick to it and do the work, you'll totally cross the finishline!"

Currently, I'm trying to do extra bike workouts so I have a stronger base on that going into the spring, since my biking sucks. (As does my swimming, but I know you can gain far more on time/energy by being a better cyclist than being a better swimmer).

2010-01-20 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2624991

User image

swishyskirt - 2010-01-20 5:41 PM This got lost at the bottom of page 40-something, so I am reposting, in between the discussion of seat height and supported LP rides.
swishyskirt - 2010-01-18 9:08 PM Anyone here do IMLP on the BT Ironman plan (the free one)? I might tweak things here or there, but I guess I'd just like someone to say "Yeah! That's a great plan and if you stick to it and do the work, you'll totally cross the finishline!" Currently, I'm trying to do extra bike workouts so I have a stronger base on that going into the spring, since my biking sucks. (As does my swimming, but I know you can gain far more on time/energy by being a better cyclist than being a better swimmer).

I haven't done an Ironman yet... but I am using the BT Beginner HIM plan now (loosely), and then will segway into the BT Intermediate Plan on, I think, the second week in March.  And I will follow that 20 week plan closely.  

All I have to say is: They better freaking work!  

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 193