General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-05-12 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4738672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
spie34 - 2013-05-12 12:09 PM

I am not planning on changing. If I change anyhing as smithe68 says, will be socks. But I haven't quite decided on wearing socks for the bike as of yet.

So we started riding just a few minutes after 8 yesterday morning. Temps was just about 60-62 Rode the small Higgins loop and then went out on the big loop. Coming back after the turnaround, it was 88.5 degrees according to my bike computer. Getting back into town to the park it was 81 degrees but that was in the shade as well. 

I was wearing what you see in my picture plus some arm sleeves to keep the direct sunlight off my arms. I got hot going up the hills but on the flats and downhills I wasn't hot nor cold. I contemplated on taking them off but didn't want them to be in the pockets on my back. 

One thing I am possible thinking about doing is buying some socks from the dollar store and cutting holes in them. After the swim, put them on and when I get hot take them off and chuck them in the garbage at the age station. A friend of mine told me that little trick when dealing with cooler weather first thing in the morning after the swim.

Please, please, please let it be at least this warm on race day!

2013-05-12 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4738958

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
rbalazs - 2013-05-12 5:08 PM

I am not planning on changing. If I change anyhing as smithe68 says, will be socks. But I haven't quite decided on wearing socks for the bike as of yet.

So we started riding just a few minutes after 8 yesterday morning. Temps was just about 60-62 Rode the small Higgins loop and then went out on the big loop. Coming back after the turnaround, it was 88.5 degrees according to my bike computer. Getting back into town to the park it was 81 degrees but that was in the shade as well. 

I was wearing what you see in my picture plus some arm sleeves to keep the direct sunlight off my arms. I got hot going up the hills but on the flats and downhills I wasn't hot nor cold. I contemplated on taking them off but didn't want them to be in the pockets on my back. 

One thing I am possible thinking about doing is buying some socks from the dollar store and cutting holes in them. After the swim, put them on and when I get hot take them off and chuck them in the garbage at the age station. A friend of mine told me that little trick when dealing with cooler weather first thing in the morning after the swim.

Please, please, please  DON'T let it be at least this warm on race day!

Fixed it for you! Wink

2013-05-12 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4738882

User image

Regular
dkahns51 - 2013-05-12 3:39 PM

damnit this weekend was so hot lol. I only pee'd once during the 5 hours on Saturday so i think i didn't go hard enough on the water or maybe i was perfect? Either way i got in 68 miles and 6 running.

Thanks for the sock idea spie, i will probably use that if its going to be cold in the morning. Also someone said to tape Hand warmers to the bars and you can throw those off later too.

You must of started later than smithe68 and I?  Hand warmers... Another great idea for early on when your hands are cold from the water. 

I pee'd twice before starting and then twice on the ride. once after mica grade and then on the way back about an hour later so maybe you were a little light on fluids? But if you weren't cramping, overheating or anything else that made you feel a touch fatigue beyond normal perhaps your water intake was just right.

So I'm thinking about next weekend. Being there at 7 for a 30 minute dip before going out on the bike for 5:15 (1st 56 miles as course is plus the second big loop) and than a 50 minute run trying to follow the beginning of the run course. Anyone feel like doing something like that? I know a few of you are doing Troika and good luck with that one. I really thought hard about doing it but my accountant said no.

2013-05-13 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4306803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I'm for sure up for meeting before the race a ew times.  I get into town on Wed I think, but I leave on Monday. 

You guys are killing it out west.  I'm sure come race day you will have a ton of confidence that you know the bike course and can handle what it has to offer. 

Last week was a recovery week and Mother'd day was abust.  Seemed everytime I was goingt o go out for a run my wife had something else for use to do.  I finally caved and gave up on trying to get a run in. 

This week and weekend it's back to normal.   Saturday I have a 200K bike ride and sunday I'm going to try and run 30 miles on the trails. 

We are getting close to a month away from the start.  I can't belive it. 

Anyone know if Chamois butter will survive the swim or do I need to re lube in T1?

I plan on wearing the same thing all day and if it's 88 degrees only God can help me finish and stay hydrated.  I would disolve in that heat.

2013-05-13 9:07 AM

User image

Lots of good advice on clothing. What has worked for me in the past is to start the day in my run gear, tri top and tri shorts under my wetsuit. then put a pair of biking shorts over the tri short for the ride. when i finish the ride pull the biking shorts off and start running.  I typically have one pair of socks for the ride and one for the run.  But the reality is, after about 5 miles on the run you have spilled enough fluids at the aid stations your feet are wet and will remain wet for the rest of the run. 
2013-05-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4738672

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
spie34 - 2013-05-12 10:09 AM

I can't decide about socks on the bike either.  I've ridden up to five hours without them and no problems.  I never wear them so I would have to start training with them to make sure they don't cause a problem - I'm thinking of leaving good enough alone.

If it's a cold morning, I may put on a dry top and arm warmers before I get on the bike  - or maybe arm coolers if it looks like a warm afternoon.

2013-05-13 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4739717

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
I don't wear socks on the bike.  I just never have, sprint, olympic or half.  Did 100 miler and had no issues. Plus it makes my feet feel awesome when I put on my favorite socks to run in.  My friends that I ride with all think I am crazy. Good to know there are others that don't wear them. Cool
2013-05-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4739350

User image

Regular
maverickbassets - 2013-05-13 5:31 AM

I'm for sure up for meeting before the race a ew times.  I get into town on Wed I think, but I leave on Monday. 

You guys are killing it out west.  I'm sure come race day you will have a ton of confidence that you know the bike course and can handle what it has to offer. 

Anyone know if Chamois butter will survive the swim or do I need to re lube in T1?

I plan on wearing the same thing all day and if it's 88 degrees only God can help me finish and stay hydrated.  I would disolve in that heat.

That week prior to the race is hit and miss for me. I know I have to go over there at least Saturday for bike check-in and also for athelete check-in one of those days. I have Thursday-Tuesday off which I am planning on keeping everything very low key those days. Staying out of the sun and even taking my kid to the babysitters. She wears me out and is only 2.5 years old .

I am feeling more confident with the bike as I've done the small loop 3 times and the big loop 3 times now. I've felt pretty good when I have finished and this last weekend my run felt strong considering it was around 85 degrees out for the run.

Chamois butter? Do you have access to a lake to try it out? That is the only way I would know for certain.  I use vasoline with tree oil mixed in along with bag balm. That combination seems to work very well for me and is pretty cheap. $1 store vasoline, bag balm $6, tree oil $4 or 5.

As to the socks idea for the arms. You potentially wear them the whole bike and when going through aid stations wet them down to help cool yourself back down.

For the run -- wear a hat and through aid stations get water and ice. You can take the ice and put it under your hat and let it melt. I've done that before to help keep cool. Also just dumping the water on my head and hat has helped cool me back down.

Wet socks after first 5 miles. Pretty much the truth but I've heard of others having fresh socks in the special needs bag, just so they can't get their feet feeling somewhat fresh again. 

2013-05-13 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4739717

User image

Regular

I can't decide about socks on the bike either.  I've ridden up to five hours without them and no problems.  I never wear them so I would have to start training with them to make sure they don't cause a problem - I'm thinking of leaving good enough alone.

If it's a cold morning, I may put on a dry top and arm warmers before I get on the bike  - or maybe arm coolers if it looks like a warm afternoon.

I wish I remembered what I did before. I guess this next weekend if I can get any other brave souls to swim with me before a 5 hour bike, I could test out not going with socks. Worst case is that I turn around and go get socks.

The arm coolers/warmers thing -- I have arm sleeves that are mainly to protect against the sun. they do provide just enough warmth as well on the start of a 60 degree day and up to 88 degrees they are tolerable as well noted from my ride this last weekend. The long loop at one point I think was 88.5 degrees per my bike computer.  Got to town and read 81 degrees.

Hopefully this helps others out in determining what to wear. 

2013-05-13 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4740232

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Now that some of you guys have ridden the course, can anyone comment on the road conditions?  Smooth, rough, potholes, cracks etc...  Any areas to watch for?  I have seen some mention the rumble strips.  Are the roads paved, chip and seal... etc...  
2013-05-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4740435

User image

Regular

roywidget - 2013-05-13 1:27 PM Now that some of you guys have ridden the course, can anyone comment on the road conditions?  Smooth, rough, potholes, cracks etc...  Any areas to watch for?  I have seen some mention the rumble strips.  Are the roads paved, chip and seal... etc...  

Rumble strips. Yes they are not fun when going over at 20mph. The shoulder needs to be swept before the race as there are some pretty good size rocks on it in areas. Also going over the bridges there are some minor bumps. I come out of aero on those just to not get jarred. 

Potholes and cracks. I think we are pretty safe there.  Roads are paved vs chip sealed which is nice. I really can't complain too much about any of the road as it is nicer than most parts I train on.

2013-05-13 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4740486

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
spie34 - 2013-05-13 1:48 PM

roywidget - 2013-05-13 1:27 PM Now that some of you guys have ridden the course, can anyone comment on the road conditions?  Smooth, rough, potholes, cracks etc...  Any areas to watch for?  I have seen some mention the rumble strips.  Are the roads paved, chip and seal... etc...  

Rumble strips. Yes they are not fun when going over at 20mph. The shoulder needs to be swept before the race as there are some pretty good size rocks on it in areas. Also going over the bridges there are some minor bumps. I come out of aero on those just to not get jarred. 

Potholes and cracks. I think we are pretty safe there.  Roads are paved vs chip sealed which is nice. I really can't complain too much about any of the road as it is nicer than most parts I train on.

What he said.  I did lose a water bottle on our Saturday ride going over the seam between the road and the bridge out of my behind the seat bottle cage.

2013-05-13 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4740486

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
spie34 - 2013-05-13 12:48 PM

You won't have to worry about the shoulder of the road during the race.  Riders are all on the northbound lanes, one lane for the outgoing riders, the other for coming back into town, and vehicle traffic is all in the southbound lanes, doing the same.  The only place you'll need to worry about the shoulder, as I remember, is coming down the near side of Mica grade as that's got only one lane northbound and the northbound riders have to be on the shoulder.  That's why it's a no-passing zone...they don't want people trying to pass and hitting the rumble strips.  Same with the bridge over the river.  Last year they did sweep the shoulders a few weeks out from the race though and that was really nice.

2013-05-13 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

Race guide is out!  But no bib number assignments yet.....

They're pretty clear on the swim start / 17 hr finish time.  We'll have 17 hrs to finish.  Anyone finishing before midnight but after 17 hrs chip time will not be considered a finisher.

2013-05-14 2:13 AM
in reply to: #4739350

User image

New user

maverickbassets - 2013-05-13 7:31 AM

I can tell you that Chamois butter will *not* survive the 2.4mi swim, nor will it survive 112mi on the bike.  Get yourself some of the small pkgs, put one in your T1 bag, and a couple in your bento box or the pockets of your jersey.  Trust me, you'll be glad you did...

2013-05-14 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4741171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
ncandersen - 2013-05-14 3:13 AM
maverickbassets - 2013-05-13 7:31 AM

I can tell you that Chamois butter will *not* survive the 2.4mi swim, nor will it survive 112mi on the bike.  Get yourself some of the small pkgs, put one in your T1 bag, and a couple in your bento box or the pockets of your jersey.  Trust me, you'll be glad you did...

Thanks.  That was what I was thinking.  I did 82 on the bike and 9 on the run on one package and it was great, but more is always better when it comes to anti chaf.

I'll be sockless if the temp is above 65 on the bike.  I'll put on socks for the run and during the run it will be one cup of cold water for my mouth one cup for my head if it's too hot. 

I know this might sound stupid, but anyone think about carrying thier own water in a camelback or something?  I've never done it in a race, but when I do long brick runs or long trail runs I do it and I hydrate so well since it is so easy to take in water.  Apparently on course I'm too stupid to stop at aid stations.........

Up at 3am this morning to get in a 1.5 hour run.  Made me think this is what it will be like on race day.  Every day it gets closer I get more excited.  Only 4 weeks till I leave Michigan to begin the Griswald family trip to Idaho. 

Sorry for the ADHD posts.Laughing 

2013-05-14 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

I do a 3 product treatment for chafing.  I really get all the seams of my tri shorts with Body Glide before I put them on.  I also spray a ton of TriSlide on myself before I put the shorts on.  Then in the transition tent, I think I reapplied the TriSlide and did a generous slather of Chamois Butter.  That seemed to work for me, I don't recall needing to re-apply.

As for water, I'm really trying to not bring a ton of water with me, mainly because it is extra weight you have to haul around.  I'm going to utilize my Special Needs bag and rely on some concentrated calories (First Endurance Liquid Shot) instead of doing mostly drink mix for my calories.

2013-05-14 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO

Here is my advice on Chamois Butter...DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE CHAFED!  

This is from experience.

2013-05-14 10:32 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho

I did 80 miles of the course yesterday, since I promised my family I would take Mothers Day weekend off.   Course is still pretty crappy in regards to gravel, Bark and sand.   A few areas have some 3 inch rocks to dodge.  Unfortunately the last 20 miles was in a downpour.   My bike and I did our best to pick up as much dirt from the road as we could.

Couple of questions....any idea if decide to go without socks in transition on how to avoid foot blisters/chaffing.   I am having some achilles busitis pains during my bricks.   Should I break up my bike/runs for now to prevent further injury?   I dont have pains if I just run, unless I have a hill at the onset of my run.

2013-05-14 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4741766

User image

Regular
MRGIBBS - 2013-05-14 8:32 AM

I did 80 miles of the course yesterday, since I promised my family I would take Mothers Day weekend off.   Course is still pretty crappy in regards to gravel, Bark and sand.   A few areas have some 3 inch rocks to dodge.  Unfortunately the last 20 miles was in a downpour.   My bike and I did our best to pick up as much dirt from the road as we could.

Couple of questions....any idea if decide to go without socks in transition on how to avoid foot blisters/chaffing.   I am having some achilles busitis pains during my bricks.   Should I break up my bike/runs for now to prevent further injury?   I dont have pains if I just run, unless I have a hill at the onset of my run.

If you are talking no socks on the bike, I just go without issues. If you are talking on the run, well I can do 3 miles without blisters but any further and it sucks. I have been known as well to just use vasoline on my toes and where I tend to blister.

What a downpour yesterday. 82 miles though that is pretty good.

2013-05-14 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4741209

User image

Regular

I know this might sound stupid, but anyone think about carrying thier own water in a camelback or something?  I've never done it in a race, but when I do long brick runs or long trail runs I do it and I hydrate so well since it is so easy to take in water.  Apparently on course I'm too stupid to stop at aid stations.........

I saw someone last year wearing a light jacket unzip that gave the person some extra drag while he was biking. Not sure why he would want that but he did.

I also saw a person using a camelback on the bike. Not a bad idea but still to me carrying around a lot of extra weight. But on the other hand, if that is what keeps you focused on drinking or gives you what you need to complete the race than you might as well do it. Sure you are carrying extra weight but at the end of the day does it matter unless you are going to podium? Probably not as much because if you don't have it, perhaps your chances of finishing go down?

So I guess for yourself, mental note, walk the aid stations and those people that are standing there with stuff in their hands you can take that stuff. You aren't stealing it .

2013-05-14 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4741689

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
bradaskins - 2013-05-14 11:06 AM

Here is my advice on Chamois Butter...DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE CHAFED!  

This is from experience.

Thanks Brad.  I needed that laugh. 

2013-05-15 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4741914

User image

spie34 - 2013-05-14 10:37 AM

I saw someone last year wearing a light jacket unzip that gave the person some extra drag while he was biking. Not sure why he would want that but he did.

I also saw a person using a camelback on the bike. Not a bad idea but still to me carrying around a lot of extra weight. But on the other hand, if that is what keeps you focused on drinking or gives you what you need to complete the race than you might as well do it. Sure you are carrying extra weight but at the end of the day does it matter unless you are going to podium? Probably not as much because if you don't have it, perhaps your chances of finishing go down?

So I guess for yourself, mental note, walk the aid stations and those people that are standing there with stuff in their hands you can take that stuff. You aren't stealing it .

That's awesome......thanks for the laugh. I have been carrying a running belt with me on my long runs and have really liked it. I think I am going to use it race day. The bottles are so much easier to drink out of and you can just take a swig whenever vs having to gulp down a glass at an aid station. I will only carry 2 8 oz bottles so it shouldn't add too much weight.

2013-05-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4738958

User image

rbalazs - 2013-05-12 6:08 PM

Please, please, please let it be at least this warm on race day!

Dear Rick, please, please, please, stop wishing for HOT weather. Can't we hope for just right ;-).

2013-05-17 1:43 PM
in reply to: johnyutah5

User image

Hugo, MN
Rick - It looks the weather at IMTX this weekend should be right up your alley!

I'll take moderate temps and soft winds personally.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57