Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-04-20 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread

Will Piers Morgan Keep His Word and Deport Himself?

Of course we know the answer, but I always find these things funny.

2013-04-20 7:43 PM

User image

The Gun Control Failure Shows the Senate Works
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/mary-kate-cary/2013/04/20/backg...

It's only logical that people believe that universal background checks are just the first step, and that more and stricter gun regulation will follow from the Obama administration. "Sooner or later, we're going to get this right," the president predicted in his Rose Garden remarks after the defeat. Vice President Biden was quoted yesterday saying that the president would be moving forward with more executive actions; former Speaker Nancy Pelosi told The Hill that further gun legislation is "inevitable" and "a matter of time." That's why people think this is the beginning of a slippery slope. The administration has said so, and its past record of expanding the reach and scope of government suggests that the White House will not stop with background checks. It's not irrational or inexplicable at all.

2013-04-20 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4708444

User image

Veteran
tuwood - 2013-04-20 4:43 PM

Will Piers Morgan Keep His Word and Deport Himself?

Of course we know the answer, but I always find these things funny.

WE CAN ONLY HOPE!!!

2013-04-20 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4707600

User image

Veteran
Aarondb4 - 2013-04-19 4:54 PM
1_Mad_Madone - 2013-04-19 1:39 PM

Speaking of Boston…

I don’t want this to be anything other than an observation and thought invoking discussion…

One of the CNN reporters stated during an interview something to the effect “how do you think those people feel locked down in their homes and hoping the terrorist does not pick them”.

Do you think any of the people, “Locked down” in their own homes, who do not own a firearm picture themselves as vulnerable to the terrorist picking them?

Do you think any of the people “locked down” in their homes with a terrorist running the streets wish they had a weapon to defend themselves and their family members?

Do you think it will change any of their minds on their right (or their opposition) to owning a firearm to  do just that; protect their family?

I hope NO family has to come face to face with this person but if it does happen I hope they are firearms owners and better yet very well trained firearm owners.

FYI,

Just spent lunch with my wife and son at the range with her BDay present....

She like! She like very much!!!

Ahem!

Gun Thread rules dictate that you at least tell us what you bought for her and if you are feeling generous post a pic. Otherwise you have to keep info like this to yourself!

Well not sure I can divulge all my secrets but I feel sorry for anyone that may deserve her FULL attention...

3,7 and 15 yards (most from 7)

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-04-20 8:48 PM

(IMG_0388.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0388.jpg (22KB - 8 downloads)
2013-04-20 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4707432

User image

Veteran
Kido - 2013-04-19 2:47 PM
1_Mad_Madone - 2013-04-19 12:39 PM

Speaking of Boston…

I don’t want this to be anything other than an observation and thought invoking discussion…

One of the CNN reporters stated during an interview something to the effect “how do you think those people feel locked down in their homes and hoping the terrorist does not pick them”.

Do you think any of the people, “Locked down” in their own homes, who do not own a firearm picture themselves as vulnerable to the terrorist picking them?

Do you think any of the people “locked down” in their homes with a terrorist running the streets wish they had a weapon to defend themselves and their family members?

Do you think it will change any of their minds on their right (or their opposition) to owning a firearm to  do just that; protect their family?

I hope NO family has to come face to face with this person but if it does happen I hope they are firearms owners and better yet very well trained firearm owners.

FYI,

Well, the concern is this guy may have explosives strapped to his person.  If I had a gun or not, or wished I had a gun or not, I would also think it may do not good against a bomb if they guy comes to my house.

Along the same lines of IED's or trip wires or landmines the military deal with.  I'm sure having their M-4 on them doesn't offer any comfort to that threat.  In a fire fight?  Sure.

What made me perk my ears up a little and made me say  "I don't know about that".  Apparently, in the home to home search the protocol is to knock first.  If no answer, they use a blow horn.  If no answer?  They kick down the door and enter.  I know we need to catch this guy, but man, that's pushing the line of illegal search, no?  Maybe it's the right thing to do, but I can't help feel icky about it. 

SO If the guy choses my house and I shoot his arse its over; if the guy blows us both up its over; either way it’s over...

If I don’t shoot his arse and he kills my family and then moves on to the next family then it’s easy to understand how this could play out... how many families?

If they kick down my door while I'm not home and find nothing great as long as they close, secure the door and pay for the repairs…

If they kick down the door and find the SOB and end the madness then I think I would just be happy my family and my city is safe.

Now IF they cataloged every house they went into and return next week with warrants for violations found during the "search"... we shall see...

Pretty sure there was "Just cause" for the tactics used... at least in my view....

2013-04-20 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4708583

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
1_Mad_Madone - 2013-04-20 9:00 PM
Kido - 2013-04-19 2:47 PM
1_Mad_Madone - 2013-04-19 12:39 PM

Speaking of Boston…

FYI,

Well, the concern is this guy may have explosives strapped to his person.  If I had a gun or not, or wished I had a gun or not, I would also think it may do not good against a bomb if they guy comes to my house.

Along the same lines of IED's or trip wires or landmines the military deal with.  I'm sure having their M-4 on them doesn't offer any comfort to that threat.  In a fire fight?  Sure.

What made me perk my ears up a little and made me say  "I don't know about that".  Apparently, in the home to home search the protocol is to knock first.  If no answer, they use a blow horn.  If no answer?  They kick down the door and enter.  I know we need to catch this guy, but man, that's pushing the line of illegal search, no?  Maybe it's the right thing to do, but I can't help feel icky about it. 

SO If the guy choses my house and I shoot his arse its over; if the guy blows us both up its over; either way it’s over...

If I don’t shoot his arse and he kills my family and then moves on to the next family then it’s easy to understand how this could play out... how many families?

If they kick down my door while I'm not home and find nothing great as long as they close, secure the door and pay for the repairs…

If they kick down the door and find the SOB and end the madness then I think I would just be happy my family and my city is safe.

Now IF they cataloged every house they went into and return next week with warrants for violations found during the "search"... we shall see...

Pretty sure there was "Just cause" for the tactics used... at least in my view....

I totally agree on your first point about a terrorist coming into my house.  Bomb or no bomb, they're going to have a bad day.  I may or may not survive, but I won't go down without a fight.

I have mixed feelings as it appears you do on the warrant less search.  In a situation like this I kind of agree that it's a tactic that was necessary and there was no nefarious motives.  I did wonder what would happen if they busted in and found an illegal drug operation.  Would they just laugh and leave, or come back later?  hmm.
If I were in a similar situation and I were home I'd simply state that I do not consent to a search of my property, but if you choose to anyway I will not stand in your way and will fully cooperate.  From a legal perspective, if they did try to charge me for something found then it would give me a little bit of legal ground to stand on, versus just saying have at it.

2013-04-20 10:04 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2013-04-21 5:16 AM

User image

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/5787183-95/grant-bosse-the-senat...
The Senate sticks to its guns

Contrary to what you may have heard from CNN, the president, or other unreliable sources, this is how the U.S. Senate is supposed to work. Senators debated legislation, considered competing amendments and voted. The process isn’t broken just because you didn’t like the result.

2013-04-21 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4708622

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
tuwood - 2013-04-20 10:04 PM

Its funny, b/c some very liberal friends of mine have already decided that the shots were fired at the participants by someone who was opposed to the event. You've already decided that the shots were fired by someone who was a participant at the event. Seems like everyone's jumping to whatever conclusion best serves their politics.
2013-04-21 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky

Tested my first batch of handloads yesterday.  Didn't blow my face off, so mission accomplished.

The rounds cycled the action of my pistol, so that was good.  However, not one of the rounds hit near the point of aim.  They were all low.  That, combined with the flakes of unburned powder on my arms, leads me to believe they were woefully undercharged.

The Lyman reloading manual I have has load data for two different types of 200 grain cast bullets.  I went with the more conservative data, which has a maximum charge (5.4 grains) that is less than the starting charge for the other bullet (6.0 with a max of 6.7).  I loaded rounds with 5.0 grains and 5.2 grains, so I have plenty of room to work up.  Of course, I'm working with a 50 round sample pack of this particular bullet, so by the time I figure it out I'll be out of rounds and the company still isn't taking bulk orders due to their backlog.

Maybe by then I'll have gotten my .308 dies and I can start working on a recipe for my M1A.

Speaking of the M1A, it is so choice.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Edited by ScudRunner 2013-04-21 7:39 AM
2013-04-21 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4708719

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-04-21 7:32 AM
Its funny, b/c some very liberal friends of mine have already decided that the shots were fired at the participants by someone who was opposed to the event. You've already decided that the shots were fired by someone who was a participant at the event. Seems like everyone's jumping to whatever conclusion best serves their politics.

It appears that nobody knows who was shooting or why. Maybe because they were all so high that nobody could pick out the shooter and why he shot regardless of the real motive. One article clearly written by a participant in the festivities by the way it meandered through the storyline, said a juvenile was wounded. So kids were allowed at this event?

2013-04-21 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4708721

User image

ScudRunner - 2013-04-21 7:38 AM

Tested my first batch of handloads yesterday.  Didn't blow my face off, so mission accomplished.

The rounds cycled the action of my pistol, so that was good.  However, not one of the rounds hit near the point of aim.  They were all low.  That, combined with the flakes of unburned powder on my arms, leads me to believe they were woefully undercharged.

The Lyman reloading manual I have has load data for two different types of 200 grain cast bullets.  I went with the more conservative data, which has a maximum charge (5.4 grains) that is less than the starting charge for the other bullet (6.0 with a max of 6.7).  I loaded rounds with 5.0 grains and 5.2 grains, so I have plenty of room to work up.  Of course, I'm working with a 50 round sample pack of this particular bullet, so by the time I figure it out I'll be out of rounds and the company still isn't taking bulk orders due to their backlog.

Maybe by then I'll have gotten my .308 dies and I can start working on a recipe for my M1A.

Speaking of the M1A, it is so choice.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Bummer on the ammo. But better safe than scarred...

On the M1A, you know you are allowed to post pics... This isn't TAN...

2013-04-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4708719

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-04-21 8:32 AM

I'm not seeing a comment on who did it at all, just a statement of fact for two different get togethers. Perhaps you can point out to me where anyone has decided it was a participant or an external person, please?

2013-04-21 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4708721

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

Did the cast bullets group well? If not, the light load may not be enough to get them to seal the rifling and you may see better groups as you increase the powder charge.

2013-04-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4708772

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
DanielG - 2013-04-21 9:08 AM

I'm not seeing a comment on who did it at all, just a statement of fact for two different get togethers. Perhaps you can point out to me where anyone has decided it was a participant or an external person, please?

Nice try, but you're smarter than that and I give you too much credit to miss the obvious implications in the captions.
2013-04-21 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4708857

User image

Disregard. It doesn't further any discussion.

Edited by DanielG 2013-04-21 11:35 AM

2013-04-21 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4708782

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
firstnet911 - 2013-04-21 10:18 AM

Did the cast bullets group well? If not, the light load may not be enough to get them to seal the rifling and you may see better groups as you increase the powder charge.

Not, they did not group well.  I'm going to load the next batch using the data from my manual for the other 200 grain cast bullet.  I checked again, and the range is 6.0 to 7.5, and the OAL is much closer to what I get when I seat the bullets properly (calls for a min OAL of 1.235, and I am seating at 1.25).  So, I'll start the next batch at 6 and see what happens.

2013-04-21 5:08 PM

User image

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/21/boston-marathon-bombs-us-gun-law

Article taken from a UK newspaper

Not something I agree with but I thought some of you might find it interesting.

2013-04-21 5:31 PM
in reply to: #4709102

User image

Dan-L - 2013-04-21 6:08 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/21/boston-marathon-bombs-us-gun-law

We had a discussion about whether England had any say in US law some 230 years or so ago. The US decided that England gets no say in it.

Of course, they can chatter on amongst themselves all they want.

2013-04-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4709114

User image

DanielG - 2013-04-21 5:31 PM
Dan-L - 2013-04-21 6:08 PM

We had a discussion about whether England had any say in US law some 230 years or so ago. The US decided that England gets no say in it.Of course, they can chatter on amongst themselves all they want.

They can also host shows on CNN, MSNBC, and FoxNews (but only business on Fox) and we may or may not watch, but they have fewer votes in what we do with our country than my dead dog...

2013-04-21 6:37 PM

User image

Elite

I have to admit, like I said earlier in the gun discussion, the gun rights folks do make some very good points.  What I've read has definitely made me reconsider my gun laws stance.  That said, what's up with the NRA and there involvement fighting the inclusion of identifiers into gunpowders.  From what I read, other countries include identifying "markers?" into the powder.  In terror attacks it can be used to help trace where the bombs came from.  Is there a reason I am not aware of that the NRA objects to something like this? 

2013-04-21 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4709168

User image

ChineseDemocracy - 2013-04-21 7:37 PM

I have to admit, like I said earlier in the gun discussion, the gun rights folks do make some very good points.  What I've read has definitely made me reconsider my gun laws stance.  That said, what's up with the NRA and there involvement fighting the inclusion of identifiers into gunpowders.  From what I read, other countries include identifying "markers?" into the powder.  In terror attacks it can be used to help trace where the bombs came from.  Is there a reason I am not aware of that the NRA objects to something like this? 

First off, in other countries (I'm assuming you're talking about the Swiss, they're basically the only ones doing it) they have taggants in explosives, but NOT in smokeless or black powder.

One point that was brought up was from the Institute of Makers of Explosives. The guy making the statement was to Congress on this very subject.

https://www.fas.org/irp/congress/1995_hr/h950612-3r.htm

They go into the Swiss issue in that statement as well.

It actually wasn't the NRA that was the deciding factor. It was the National Academy of Sciences:

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=5755&page=5

Marking, Rendering Inert, and Licensing of Explosive Materials

Interim Report

Committee on Marking, Rendering Inert, and Licensing of Explosive Materials

Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology

Commission on Physical Sciences, Mathematics, and Applications

National Research Council

NATIONAL ACADEMY PRESS
WASHINGTON, D.C.

Specifically:

NAS Final Report on Black and Smokeless Powder

To conduct the study on black and smokeless powders, the National Research Council, the research body of the NAS, created the Committee on Smokeless and Black Powder which conducted the research and wrote the final report. In that final report, which was reviewed by an independent panel of experts with diverse perspectives and technical expertise, included the following findings:

Bombs using black and smokeless powders account for a small number of deaths and injuries each year. (Annually, 10 deaths and approximately 100 injuries.)

Information gathered by the BATF and the FBI regarding bombings is incomplete.
An effective taggant system with the associated record keeping would incur significant costs.
No taggant system has been found that is technically feasible for use in black and smokeless powders.

The Committee specifically recommended:
"Detection markers in black and smokeless powder should not be implemented at the present time."
"Identification taggants in black and smokeless powder should not be implemented at the present time."

2013-04-21 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4709048

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
ScudRunner - 2013-04-21 4:03 PM
firstnet911 - 2013-04-21 10:18 AM

Not, they did not group well.  I'm going to load the next batch using the data from my manual for the other 200 grain cast bullet.  I checked again, and the range is 6.0 to 7.5, and the OAL is much closer to what I get when I seat the bullets properly (calls for a min OAL of 1.235, and I am seating at 1.25).  So, I'll start the next batch at 6 and see what happens.

What are you shooting them out of? I've had problems with commercial cast bullets being undersized or too hard where they don't expand to fill the bore.  You might want to measure a few and start  with the largest.

Lots of great info on cast bullets at castboolits.com.

2013-04-21 11:09 PM
in reply to: #4708772

User image

DanielG - 2013-04-21 7:08 AM

I think he covered that, I bolded it for you Daniel.

2013-04-22 3:08 AM

User image

I hope you're sitting down. This is a shocker:

Boston bombing suspects did not have valid handgun licenses
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-explosions-boston-...

You mean... They BROKE THE LAW about firearms? I know, let's make it MORE ILLEGAL! That'll teach 'em.

Edited by DanielG 2013-04-22 3:09 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48