BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-01-28 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1179749

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
ldatug - 2008-01-28 9:45 AM

Hello all!! I had my bike fitting on Saturday. It went really well. The guy who did it was very knowledgable and pretty cute too.

I took the bike out for a while yesterday. Oh goodness...I have a lot to learn. I love my bike, but I am not very steady right now. My sit bones were really sore from the fitting (rode a lot during the fitting to measure output, power, etc). It's going to take me a while to get used to the 'real' bike. I only have 6 weeks until my first race, so I better get going!!

Hope everyone has a fabulous Monday!

Sounds like a great bike fitting. Yet again, I'm thinking I need to get a "real" fitting. Don't worry about feeling steady on the bike -- it really does get easy pretty quickly.

I went for a long ride today up in the hills. Man, does my butt (and, um, other parts) get sore on the long uphills, when I can't really get out of my seat much. And the descent, while totally fun and awesome, was *freezing* today. I came home and took a very long, very hot shower.

2008-01-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Yes amazing how cold it gets with a little speed on the bike. I can't wait for warmer weather!! I want lots of miles on my bike this year. Enough to justify a tri bike next year!!
2008-01-28 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1180844

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

ShawnC13 - 2008-01-28 6:55 PM Yes amazing how cold it gets with a little speed on the bike. I can't wait for warmer weather!! I want lots of miles on my bike this year. Enough to justify a tri bike next year!!

I just want warm weather!!!!  I have winter bike gear but seem to lack the motivation to actually use it when it's under 40 degrees out there.  We are supposed to get more snow tonight (which means we won't, but panic has already set in all over the region).  ALL classes were cancelled at my gym, which sucked, since I hustled to get there in time for the cycling one.  Oh well.  Got in a 1500 m time trial swim after I did 5000m on the rowing machine.  Good enough for today I guess!

2008-01-28 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

OMGOSH!  I’ve been gone from here for almost a week . . . sorry guys . . . I do pop in and read as I have a minute, then get behind on posting and don’t want to start back up until I can address everyone . . . then it’s a week later!  Ok, so just re-read since my last post, so I didn’t miss anything and have just a few comments . . .

Beth – Great job on your wralks!!!  You really are making great improvements.  Nice that you are able to up the distance so quickly too!  Hope your foot is taking it ok?!

Shawn – On your 13k . . . I realized it was 13k . . . that’s FAR to me!  No big deal   Congrats on the CDS tickets btw, sounds like the others have enjoyed the show, that’s a good sign!  I’ve always wanted to go & after these great reviews I think I’ll have to make it a point on one of my trips out to Vegas.  Good to hear the bike fitting went well.  Now hopefully you get to go try it out some more one of these days!  So what Garmin do you have?

Will – Hope the interview went well!  Portion control hmmm . . . ya still trying to master that one

Laura – Glad you are feeling better (old news I know) and congrats on your new bike!!!  I know NOTHING about picking out a bike, so no comment on the specs haha  It is nice looking though!  Awesome that you had your fitting already too.  I’ll be anxiously watching you!  By the time I get a bike, I think I’ll be as close to my first race . . . hopefully we both pick it up fast   Ohh and congrats on your longest ever run last week!!  WOOHOO!  You ARE a runner girl!

Leslie – So ending one plan, starting the next . . . enjoy that little bit of time between!!  Have you gotten your next one all figured out yet?  Congrats on your long run last week as well, how awesome!!  Thanks for the congrats on the weight goal . . . slowly but surely huh?  I know just what you mean about running out of options once the fat clothes are gone LOL!  Good motivation that is!

Terri – I’m happy to see you got your appointment set up!  The others said it soooo well . . . please come in here and vent ANYtime!  You better believe you’ll hear from the rest of us if need be!  Sorry about your injury, and the frustrations, please continue to take good care of it!

Yanti – WOOHOO on getting back in the pool!  Careful though, don’t overdo it!! 

Erin – Ohhh I somehow missed the post about your accident!  How scary, VERY glad you are ok!  And the bike too   Sounds like your arm is healing up, YAY!

I LOVE reading about everyone’s accomplishments!  You are all sooo inspiring!

Here’s a "quick" update on me . . . I am taking a break from swimming for just a bit, as my R arm has been feeling not quite right for a couple months I think.  Not major, hence the reason I kept using it, but I think I should see if it will go away.  I almost think it is the way I sleep on it, but it always feels way worse after swims.  Other than that my official HIM plan started today!  I’m excited about that, but having to rearrange days a bit this first week to work with my schedule . . . and since I’m not swimming . . . hope that’s ok?!  I also got in my longest run ever on Sat.  I managed 10 miles . . . an accident of sorts!  I kept a decent pace for me (9:53) for the first 8 (only planned to do 8, had to do 2 more to get home haha), but then was dragging the last 2 (15:00 pace).  All in all I was pretty happy!  My knees were killing me, but are ok today!  I even got out for a run tonight, though I was going to take a rest day!  Couldn’t do that when the weather was 50 degrees – WOW!!  AND it is going to be in the teens tomorrow with windchills sub-zero all day, YUCK!  HAD to take advantage!  Feeling pretty good about last week!  A little lost on my plans for this week with skipping swimming, and not quite up to running 2 days in a row with my knees . . . but this is only week 1, so I think I’ll be ok . . .

Ok, so enough about my week already

TTYL!

Renee

2008-01-28 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1178628

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
TriAya - 2008-01-27 5:32 PM

My training buddies popped a 6-miler out there in the rain ... surprisingly, not so few piglets out as we'd anticipated, given the weather, and the ones out were VERY friendly! Yum! (There's really only two reasons we work out--food, pretty boys, and food. Did I say food? I'm kidding--about the pretty boys. No, actually--there are many reasons we work out--but those are on the list!!!

and food . . . and pretty boys . . .

Yanti, you TOTALLY crack me up   Never thought about it that way, but yea, those would definately make the list!  LOL!!

2008-01-28 11:05 PM
in reply to: #1180943

User image

Master
Victoria BC
rreischl - 2008-01-28 8:33 PM

Shawn – On your 13k . . . I realized it was 13k . . . that’s FAR to me! No big deal Congrats on the CDS tickets btw, sounds like the others have enjoyed the show, that’s a good sign! I’ve always wanted to go & after these great reviews I think I’ll have to make it a point on one of my trips out to Vegas. Good to hear the bike fitting went well. Now hopefully you get to go try it out some more one of these days! So what Garmin do you have?

I have the Garmin 305 and it is great. I put the quick release mount on my aerobars right in the middle at the top and it is a perfect spot nice and accessible and easy to read!!

2008-01-28 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1180957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
ShawnC13 - 2008-01-28 11:05 PM

Shawn – On your 13k . . . I realized it was 13k . . . that’s FAR to me! No big deal Congrats on the CDS tickets btw, sounds like the others have enjoyed the show, that’s a good sign! I’ve always wanted to go & after these great reviews I think I’ll have to make it a point on one of my trips out to Vegas. Good to hear the bike fitting went well. Now hopefully you get to go try it out some more one of these days! So what Garmin do you have?

I have the Garmin 305 and it is great. I put the quick release mount on my aerobars right in the middle at the top and it is a perfect spot nice and accessible and easy to read!!

I've seen that model mentioned a LOT on this site . . . must be good.  Do you use it for running, biking & swimming?

2008-01-28 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1180922

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Medusa_Ann - 2008-01-28 8:02 PM

ShawnC13 - 2008-01-28 6:55 PM Yes amazing how cold it gets with a little speed on the bike. I can't wait for warmer weather!! I want lots of miles on my bike this year. Enough to justify a tri bike next year!!

I just want warm weather!!!! I have winter bike gear but seem to lack the motivation to actually use it when it's under 40 degrees out there. We are supposed to get more snow tonight (which means we won't, but panic has already set in all over the region). ALL classes were cancelled at my gym, which sucked, since I hustled to get there in time for the cycling one. Oh well. Got in a 1500 m time trial swim after I did 5000m on the rowing machine. Good enough for today I guess!

Snowing here right now. I start a half marathon run clinic tomorrow night and it could be in the snow. I am actually going to be a pace group leader I think. Probably for a group at around 2:20 or so I personally would like to run a 2:10 or faster but will pace the group at what they need me to do!!

When I went for a short ride yesterday it was about 3 C. so that is pretty cold close to freezing. I was wearing running tights, then some board shorts. A long sleeve base layer them my cycling jersey. I was a little chilled that is for sure. need to get the Shoe covers for sure!! With the snow coming not sure what tomorrow will bring. Talked about class being canceled today in class so who knows maybe a free day to do some swimming!!
2008-01-29 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Sheesh, Shawn! You've got a lot going on -- pace leader, riding in near-freezing weather. I'm feeling like a big pansy now for whining about my run in drizzly weather the other day, heh.

What's everyone up to today? I've got 45 minutes in the pool and a half hour run lined up for tonight. I'm going to need to do an early-morning swim sometime this week, which I'm totally dreading.
2008-01-29 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1180965

User image

Master
Victoria BC
rreischl - 2008-01-28 9:16 PM

ShawnC13 - 2008-01-28 11:05 PM

I've seen that model mentioned a LOT on this site . . . must be good. Do you use it for running, biking & swimming?

I use it for running and biking. it says good for 1m of water for .5 hour but I don't want to risk it. If I had a swim cap and open water swim I would consider putting it under my cap because it has no band as I have got the quick release system so it might work that way.
2008-01-29 8:38 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi Everyone!

wow, I have a lot to catch up on - I will have to do so a bit later, I have a rock band date with my son

I am taking every opportunity to play before I start my new job on Monday - this week is just flying by!

As Renee mentioned, I've made some great progress in my wralking - 4.5 miles today w00t w00t!

not fast, but steady and most importanntly - my foot is holding up great!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well, and I will make it a point to get caught up

thank you for understanding!

Edited by lastcall2003 2008-01-29 8:38 PM

2008-01-29 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1180971

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
ShawnC13 - 2008-01-28 9:18 PM

Medusa_Ann - 2008-01-28 8:02 PM

I just want warm weather!!!! I have winter bike gear but seem to lack the motivation to actually use it when it's under 40 degrees out there. We are supposed to get more snow tonight (which means we won't, but panic has already set in all over the region). ALL classes were cancelled at my gym, which sucked, since I hustled to get there in time for the cycling one. Oh well. Got in a 1500 m time trial swim after I did 5000m on the rowing machine. Good enough for today I guess!

Snowing here right now. I start a half marathon run clinic tomorrow night and it could be in the snow. I am actually going to be a pace group leader I think. Probably for a group at around 2:20 or so I personally would like to run a 2:10 or faster but will pace the group at what they need me to do!!

When I went for a short ride yesterday it was about 3 C. so that is pretty cold close to freezing. I was wearing running tights, then some board shorts. A long sleeve base layer them my cycling jersey. I was a little chilled that is for sure. need to get the Shoe covers for sure!! With the snow coming not sure what tomorrow will bring. Talked about class being canceled today in class so who knows maybe a free day to do some swimming!!

great work. i am warming up to the early morning chill on rides and runs. keep it going shawn.
2008-01-29 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1182736

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
lastcall2003 - 2008-01-29 6:38 PM

Hi Everyone!

wow, I have a lot to catch up on - I will have to do so a bit later, I have a rock band date with my son

I am taking every opportunity to play before I start my new job on Monday - this week is just flying by!

As Renee mentioned, I've made some great progress in my wralking - 4.5 miles today w00t w00t!

not fast, but steady and most importanntly - my foot is holding up great!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well, and I will make it a point to get caught up

thank you for understanding!

great job. last year i walked a lot before i tried to run. keep up the great work, and if you need to take a day off your body will appreciate it.
2008-01-29 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1182368

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Fielding - 2008-01-29 2:07 PM Sheesh, Shawn! You've got a lot going on -- pace leader, riding in near-freezing weather. I'm feeling like a big pansy now for whining about my run in drizzly weather the other day, heh. What's everyone up to today? I've got 45 minutes in the pool and a half hour run lined up for tonight. I'm going to need to do an early-morning swim sometime this week, which I'm totally dreading.

Why do you dread the swim?  Is it the wake up time or too crowded or just too long to swim? 

I ran for a while on the treadmill, did some strength training.....the blister on my foot is annoying me, as are the new ones on my hands from the rowing machine last night.  I wish I didn't blister so easily, let me tell you.  (Long history on that in a recent blog if you are soooo bored that you need to read it.  I am debating doing an indoor rowing race on Saturday (if the blisters heal!) just because I kick arse at the ergometer even though I hardly ever do it any more......will keep you posted on that as Sat draws closer.  It does seem a bit silly to spend $25 for a 7-8 min race, though.......so odds are I won't do it, but it is fun to consider.  Maybe I will time myself on the same 'course' just for fun, call it good.

2008-01-29 10:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Ohhhhhhh I am sooo with you all – I want warmer weather bad!  We had a bit of a break over the weekend/yesterday, but today was awful!  I just started all of this in Dec, so it is nice every now and then to get a taste of the “real thing” outside . . . those opportunities are few and far between around here, well for me anyhow!  I’m sure there are some die-hards still out there!

I am getting tired of my AM routine of rushing to spin to find all of the bikes taken . . . definitely need to work on getting up even earlier, yuck!  I did get to a class tonight though and it was a good one!  I went from that to a 45 min "easy" run.  I can’t believe that I am running that long without watching every second tick away on the clock anymore haha  I think it really helps that I am working on some base training now & not trying to set a time or pace record every time I go out.

Shawn – Thanks for the info on the Garmin.  I have a Polar F6 HRM.  It works for now, even in the pool, but I am sure there are much better models out there.  I bought this in June, just to keep tabs on my workouts and make sure I was always pushing enough, but NOW I would look for totally different features (such as GPS & laps) so I’m keeping my eyes open.  I need some of that luck of yours, so I can sell something off for gear   How cool that you are a pace leader for the clinic!  How did that go, was it snowing?

Beth – You won’t get any grief from me LOL!  Catchup when you can . . . you are missed, but we all understand that you have a TON going on right now!!  Glad you are having some fun before starting your new job!!  AND SUPER happy that your foot is holding up!  YAY!!

Leslie – Nice workouts!  Dang on fighting the blisters though, amazing how such little things can make workouts sooo miserable, huh?!

Erin – How did the swim and run go?  I hope your AM workout goes better than my recent attempts LOL!

How’s everyone else doing?

Renee

2008-01-29 10:57 PM
in reply to: #1182816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Medusa_Ann - 2008-01-29 9:07 PM

Fielding - 2008-01-29 2:07 PM Sheesh, Shawn! You've got a lot going on -- pace leader, riding in near-freezing weather. I'm feeling like a big pansy now for whining about my run in drizzly weather the other day, heh. What's everyone up to today? I've got 45 minutes in the pool and a half hour run lined up for tonight. I'm going to need to do an early-morning swim sometime this week, which I'm totally dreading.

Why do you dread the swim?  Is it the wake up time or too crowded or just too long to swim? 

I ran for a while on the treadmill, did some strength training.....the blister on my foot is annoying me, as are the new ones on my hands from the rowing machine last night.  I wish I didn't blister so easily, let me tell you.  (Long history on that in a recent blog if you are soooo bored that you need to read it.  I am debating doing an indoor rowing race on Saturday (if the blisters heal!) just because I kick arse at the ergometer even though I hardly ever do it any more......will keep you posted on that as Sat draws closer.  It does seem a bit silly to spend $25 for a 7-8 min race, though.......so odds are I won't do it, but it is fun to consider.  Maybe I will time myself on the same 'course' just for fun, call it good.

I did go checkout your blog . . . the contest sounds cool!  Especially if you have a chance at winning, why not give it a shot   Hope you have some good gloves though!!  Don't wanna tear your hands up any worse!  Keep us updated!

2008-01-29 11:06 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Wasn't snowing for the clinic and being a pace group leader isn't new to me I was a pace group leader for Learn to run, 5K and 10 K groups for the last 4 years. I have only been doing halfs for well almost 2 years now I guess.

We went for a nice 5.8 k run in the cold and once we got to the ocean it got real cold and with a wind. That piece of road is the toughest DOWNHILL I have ever run when you are against the wind.
2008-01-29 11:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Okay, okay, I'm caving in--I really have been keeping up and am so delighted to read of all your activities (even the cold ones, even the ones you don't want to do, not making it into Spinning(R) class--hey, you tried!) ... thank you ever so much for keeping the flame alive!

I was not going to post until I finished that daggone index (yes, I am actually working on it!!!) and I want it to be on a tens-even page ... can you believe we're on page 30?!?!?

Lots of biking for me today--and some of the fastest/toughest riding I've done. Pat, pat, pat.

2008-01-29 11:33 PM
in reply to: #1182984

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
TriAya - 2008-01-29 11:27 PM

Okay, okay, I'm caving in--I really have been keeping up and am so delighted to read of all your activities (even the cold ones, even the ones you don't want to do, not making it into Spinning(R) class--hey, you tried!) ... thank you ever so much for keeping the flame alive!

I was not going to post until I finished that daggone index (yes, I am actually working on it!!!) and I want it to be on a tens-even page ... can you believe we're on page 30?!?!?

Lots of biking for me today--and some of the fastest/toughest riding I've done. Pat, pat, pat.

w00t w00t!!!!

a pat on the back is well deserved!

I can't wait to see the index

2008-01-30 1:17 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Big cheers for Beth and Yanti for some big mileage! Nice work, ladies, especially with your incredibly busy schedules.

Leslie, I'm dreading the swim because of the early part. I am so so so not a morning person. Like, a lot of people say they aren't morning persons, but then they meet me. I would gladly sleep until noon everyday if the rest of society would just do me the favor of revolving around me! I don't even have to get up *that* early to swim -- probably, like, 8 -- and it's going to be miserable.

I'm very impressed with everyone's cold weather workouts. I really need to stop being so whimpy about running/biking in 50-degree weather. Hee.
2008-01-30 2:05 AM
in reply to: #1183119

User image

Melon Presser

Fielding - 2008-01-30 12:17 AM Big cheers for Beth and Yanti for some big mileage! Nice work, ladies, especially with your incredibly busy schedules. Leslie, I'm dreading the swim because of the early part. I am so so so not a morning person. Like, a lot of people say they aren't morning persons, but then they meet me. I would gladly sleep until noon everyday if the rest of society would just do me the favor of revolving around me! I don't even have to get up *that* early to swim -- probably, like, 8 -- and it's going to be miserable. I'm very impressed with everyone's cold weather workouts. I really need to stop being so whimpy about running/biking in 50-degree weather. Hee.

Oh no, I definitely believe you about being a) not a morning person, and b) a weather wimp ... ummm ... just check out my own posting times and geographical location

Good luck on the morning swim! Imagine us in a ring around your bed, chanting SWIMMY SWIMMY SWIM!!! and dragging you out by the feet ... I am sure you would really love that.

2008-01-30 2:07 AM

User image

Melon Presser

INDEX 1-15

1. Intros/Plans, Running Shoe Tips

2. Rest/Recovery, Base intro, Adding Friends, Erin/Renee Intro, Diet Improvement, Run/Walk

3. Bike Purchase/Fit, Run/Walk Diet Improvement

4. Swim Form, First Tri Story (Beth, Shawn, Yanti)

5. Swim Form

7. Freestyle Errors, Mental Training intro

8. Base Building, Swim Guidelines

9. Weight Loss, Swim Video Links, Base Links

11. Tri Race Links, Injuries, SleepóWeight Loss

12. Pool Etiquette

15. Injury, Wetsuits

2008-01-30 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Thank you, Yanti! INDEX! This is going to be so totally helpful.

So, what's everyone up to today? I've got to get on the stationary at the gym again. Ugh. This time I'll remember the cadence drills.

Edited by Fielding 2008-01-30 12:45 PM
2008-01-30 12:50 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Erin-Go-Getter as always. Yeah, ugh, but all T.I.T.S. = good T.I.T.S.

I'm working on Part B of the Index, and will try to slam out 1:45 on the bike today, and a :30 run. Was going to try to squeeze a swim in, too, but probably ain't going to happen. Mostly, for me, swims are to recover from other workouts, and have fun and a break (since it is my favorite!). I am not going to get significantly faster in a pool anytime soon--I'm definitely at the point of diminishing returns there, whereas I have (relatively) little bike base (hence my wanting and building huge T.I.T.S.), and having a good four years' run base, am ready to dig in to speedwork there.

2008-01-30 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Yanti you actually went through to create an index you are INSANE!! For me I think I am going to go for a swim need to get ready for Feb Challenge and I said 6000m I know it isn't much but it is twice as much as I have ever swam in a month before.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61