BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-02-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4635117

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
amd723 - 2013-02-24 5:16 PM

I had a great time at my race and have the bruises to prove it!

Here is the race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=478911&posts=1&start=1

Way to go ! That looks similar to the Tough Mudder series I was interested in doing when I was active in crossfit....  still would like to do one but just don't want to get injured during tri season =)

2013-02-25 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4635857

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
tri808 - 2013-02-25 9:43 AM

I was able to put together a solid effort yesterday at my TT.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=478913

wow !

2013-02-25 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Thanks everyone for the kind words ... made my day =)    Have a great week !
2013-02-25 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Had a not-bad longer run yesterday - I think my knee will be fine, so long as I baby it through the next couple months (and stretch and roll).

Back to masters swimming tonight - 3 sessions in a row - you'd almost think I like swimming.
2013-02-25 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4636339

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-25 8:23 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Decided I was either running to the end of the CD on my ipod or 5 miles.  Amazingly they ended about the same time but it was just a bit over 5 miles.  The artist is a runner, I think his music is written for running.  (Toby Mac  "Portable Sounds")  Perfect.

2013-02-26 8:12 AM

Carbondale, Illinois

Morning All,

Sorry I've been MIA lately--of the last month I have spent two weeks traveling for work and one sick.  I can't seem to get my head screwed on correctly and I fear it is all going to go downhill from here--work stuff.  Anyway...I finally pulled myself out of bed this morning for a real workout and managed a 2.5mi jog.  I felt good doing it.  When I got home I realized my mile time is down a whole minute since the beginning of January!  I'm happy to see that! 

I wanted to do a "Rec Your Body" Try a Tri at the student rec center over the weekend, but I'm really glad I didn't sign up.  It was on Saturday and I didn't get home from DC until 1:30am on Saturday morning due to travel delays.  It would not have been a good experience.  They have another sprint tri schedule for April, so I'm going to see if I can get myself signed up for that one.  So far all I've heard are rumors of this event, but can't find any actual sign-up information.

Hope everyone is has a great day!

g

2013-02-26 2:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
England

Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend.  Great race reports.  They're all impressive achievements and all in different ways.  I love how diverse this group is.

I've started thinking about March goals, but haven't quite formulated them yet.  Anyone got any plans yet?

I've also started filling in my race calendar for the year.  Just have to make sure I can fit it all in with work and then I'm going to start entering.

2013-02-26 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4637855

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
chapfallen - 2013-02-26 2:37 PM

Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend.  Great race reports.  They're all impressive achievements and all in different ways.  I love how diverse this group is.

I've started thinking about March goals, but haven't quite formulated them yet.  Anyone got any plans yet?

I've also started filling in my race calendar for the year.  Just have to make sure I can fit it all in with work and then I'm going to start entering.

My work should cool down by mid march.  I'm hoping that I'll be back to 100% by then as I've waffled with health between 25-90% all month of feb.  My feb is shot.  I hope to finish the first phase of my bike specific focus by March 8 and then transition onto my IM plan by March 18.

2013-02-26 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4638071

Extreme Veteran
England
japewang - 2013-02-26 10:39 PM
chapfallen - 2013-02-26 2:37 PM

My work should cool down by mid march.  I'm hoping that I'll be back to 100% by then as I've waffled with health between 25-90% all month of feb.  My feb is shot.  I hope to finish the first phase of my bike specific focus by March 8 and then transition onto my IM plan by March 18.

I've had similar issues with my health recently.  My GP said there have been an unusual number of viruses doing the rounds this year (although when she asked if I do any regular exercise I had to laugh).  Hope you're up to 100% soon.

Edited by chapfallen 2013-02-26 5:08 PM
2013-02-26 8:33 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Finding my bike again, but not finishing the winter training plan.  Took too much time away from it when I switched to the half marathon training.  But, I got a good session in tonight.

I had always heard that Rev 3 calls you to thank you for registering for their events.....they really do.  I am pretty impressed, they recognize how we have choices for where we spend our race fees and make sure we are taken care of from the get go.

2013-02-27 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4637235

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
drfoodlove - 2013-02-26 8:12 AM

Morning All,

Sorry I've been MIA lately--of the last month I have spent two weeks traveling for work and one sick.  I can't seem to get my head screwed on correctly and I fear it is all going to go downhill from here--work stuff.  Anyway...I finally pulled myself out of bed this morning for a real workout and managed a 2.5mi jog.  I felt good doing it.  When I got home I realized my mile time is down a whole minute since the beginning of January!  I'm happy to see that! 

I wanted to do a "Rec Your Body" Try a Tri at the student rec center over the weekend, but I'm really glad I didn't sign up.  It was on Saturday and I didn't get home from DC until 1:30am on Saturday morning due to travel delays.  It would not have been a good experience.  They have another sprint tri schedule for April, so I'm going to see if I can get myself signed up for that one.  So far all I've heard are rumors of this event, but can't find any actual sign-up information.

Hope everyone is has a great day!

g

Great job.   Even with time off you improve your time -- impressive -- keep it up

2013-02-27 6:59 AM

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Two February Goals down!  2 to go!  (I'll finish them off tomorrow).  I will miss my consistency goal (average 5 W/O per week for month) due to a really bad first week, but in the last three, I've not missed a single workout I planned to do, so I think that qualifies (I'll let the team decide) making it!.  

I'm with Fred, starting th think about and fill out my race plans.   I'm pretty seriously considering attempting a sprint on March 16.  I don't feel quite ready, but I realize I need to race again to get my confidence back, that I've talked about with the group.  I"ve been hiding behind an excuse for the March race that we might be out of town for Spring Break, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen now, so I may be out of excuses.

On the whole though, I'm thinking of upping my training committment a bit more by increasing mileage/yardage etc in March.  It's been very positive this past month for me to get my training distances/times up.  I used to rarely miss a workout, and I need to get back to that.  When I keep that committment to myself, I improve overall, and feel better about myself.   Must be something to do with endorphins....

Hope all have a great day!

2013-02-27 11:49 AM

Champion
Just back from a great lunchtime run - it's gorgeous here today...50s and sunny! (*Of course, now I'm eating lunch like a lumberjack...mmmmm, food....)

I'm not meeting many of my February goals - some were improvidently set, others I just missed the mark. But I've started laying out my March goals/training plan with specific efforts in mind - well, actually, I had it laid out before I remembered that I'm traveling next weekend, so I need to redo the whole thing - but once I get that done, I'll post up my March goals. My 2 key aims are the trail 1/2 mary and getting my bike time up (and keep going to masters, of course - difficult when traveling, but whenever I can).
2013-02-27 12:46 PM

Expert

Goals:

January I set the goal of consistent working out.  That went well.  Feb I set the goal of adding in clean eating, and losing some weight, while keeping the consistent working out.  I did well on the food (though it took a while to get going, I'm there now).  I lost ~8 pounds this month (will know exactly when I do my weigh in on the 1st), but my training took a big hit with my calf/foot pains a few weeks ago.  I'm back running consistent again (at a lower volume, and with a run:walk combo), but let the bike go completely.

So for March, it's time to put it all together.  Get back to January's training consistency, and keep February's eating/logging of food.  I'd love to drop another 5+ pounds this month, but hesitate to set actual numbers as goals for that, I'd rather focus on clean eating, keeping my intake to ~1500 cals/day, and see what happens to my weight.

2013-02-27 1:13 PM

Carbondale, Illinois

I'm sad to say I didn't even realize it was going to be March until I saw folks posting their goals.  Whoops!

Well, I'm 1/2 in my Feb goals.  I wanted to lose 7.5lbs and be able to swim workouts with flip turns by the end of the month.  I can do flip turns now...not so much with the weight loss--too much travel and eating out for success in that arena. 

March goals: lose 7.5lbs (and hopefully some of Feb's 7.5lbs too!) and get out on my bike at least three times.

Training: today I got in an hour on the spin bike at the gym followed by 1100yds in the pool.  I got critiqued by a 4yo who was getting a tour of the facility on my crawl stroke.  Her comment was that I didn't kick very well (I was using the pull buoy at the time!).  Kinda neat that a kid that little would have an eye for technique, or it would have been if she was focusing on someone else!

In Other News:  I had another monkey wrench thrown into my training plans yesterday, but for this I'm willing to let it go and just do my best to fit in workouts around it.  I was invited by the White House to serve on a panel to discuss and make suggestions on how to support women in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) fields, and how to increase female student participation in those fields.  Needless to say, I think this is going to be a lot of work, but it is very important to me, so I'll make it work.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

g

2013-02-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4639259

Edited by Fred D 2013-02-27 3:02 PM
2013-02-27 3:05 PM

2013-02-27 3:46 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

My February goals were never really formalized and I can see how all over the place I have been with training.  Yes, it is consistent.....but NO it is not the focus I need to have a good outcome in racing this season.  As it is, I have the Oly in June and maybe another sprint or Oly in the fall.  Since I refuse to do any more RMS races I am limited in what is available.  The tri club sprint is the same day as Prom and with a daughter who is a DIVA at best that means I will be doing the hairdresser/ nail salon shuffle with her.

March goals:

Run 3-4 days a week about 75 miles+/-

Bike  Get outside on the nice days and off the trainer....Anyone want to do a virtual 50 miler with me for my birthday?  I had a virtual 50 mile ride when I turned 50 a couple years ago and it was fun.  3-4 rides/ week

Swim....keep trying the Masters class 1x/week wo=ith the regular class another day and occasional extra swim

Cross training....as much as I can reasonably fit in boot camp class, yoga and strength training without compromising the family

2013-02-27 4:04 PM

Master
Orlando
drfoodlove - 2013-02-27 1:13 PM

I'm sad to say I didn't even realize it was going to be March until I saw folks posting their goals.  Whoops!

Well, I'm 1/2 in my Feb goals.  I wanted to lose 7.5lbs and be able to swim workouts with flip turns by the end of the month.  I can do flip turns now...not so much with the weight loss--too much travel and eating out for success in that arena. 

March goals: lose 7.5lbs (and hopefully some of Feb's 7.5lbs too!) and get out on my bike at least three times.

Training: today I got in an hour on the spin bike at the gym followed by 1100yds in the pool.  I got critiqued by a 4yo who was getting a tour of the facility on my crawl stroke.  Her comment was that I didn't kick very well (I was using the pull buoy at the time!).  Kinda neat that a kid that little would have an eye for technique, or it would have been if she was focusing on someone else!

In Other News:  I had another monkey wrench thrown into my training plans yesterday, but for this I'm willing to let it go and just do my best to fit in workouts around it.  I was invited by the White House to serve on a panel to discuss and make suggestions on how to support women in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) fields, and how to increase female student participation in those fields.  Needless to say, I think this is going to be a lot of work, but it is very important to me, so I'll make it work.

g

That is really cool ( the STEM item) and really important. My sister is a chemist and I know that most of the other people in her lab are either male or Asian. Nothing wrong with either group, but more American women scientist are needed.
2013-02-27 4:08 PM

Master
Orlando
My March goals are to add a day of swimming to my week and up the bike a bit. As far as meeting my February goal of running 4 days a week, I almost made it, but had a couple of misses do to my foot injury flaring up. As my over all goal is to be injury free, I put resting the foot first.

2013-02-27 4:47 PM

Champion
drfoodlove - 2013-02-27 2:13 PM

g

So awesome! I was an engineer before I became a lawyer before I became a professor. I'd love to see more girls in STEM - at all levels, high school through career through professor. In fact, I wanted to be an engineering professor first because I had no female role models (except for this beyotch in the chem department, but she made me want to quit science). Also, the old engineering building only had ladies rooms on every other floor, crammed into old janitor's closets. (The building has since been updated.) Anyway - rock on! What a great honor to be on that panel & I hope y'all will have some ideas to make a difference.
2013-02-27 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4637235

drfoodlove - 2013-02-26 8:12 AM

I felt good doing it.  When I got home I realized my mile time is down a whole minute since the beginning of January!  I'm happy to see that! 

Way to go !

2013-02-27 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4638619

UTTriman - 2013-02-27 6:59 AM

Two February Goals down!  2 to go!  (I'll finish them off tomorrow).  I will miss my consistency goal (average 5 W/O per week for month) due to a really bad first week, but in the last three, I've not missed a single workout I planned to do, so I think that qualifies (I'll let the team decide) making it!.  

I'm with Fred, starting th think about and fill out my race plans.   I'm pretty seriously considering attempting a sprint on March 16.  I don't feel quite ready, but I realize I need to race again to get my confidence back, that I've

Nicely done !  and I vote you do sprint =)

2013-02-27 6:37 PM

drfoodlove - 2013-02-27 1:13 PM

Way cool !

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64