BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-29 11:13 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by mleech77

Originally posted by kidtri33
Originally posted by uhcoog So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.
What?!?! I am suppose to know my races for next year already?!

I know right?!?!  I barely have this year figured out, let alone next year.  

Haha. Coach just shot me over my plan for the rest of this year and we've discussed major races next year as well. Right now I'm looking at Sylvan Beach sprint next weekend, then being off through most of the summer and racing Clear Lake Olympic the end of August, then Oilman 70.3 in November. Then next year it's the Houston Marathon in Jan, NOLA 70.3 in April, and then hopefully IMFL next fall. I have to get Cindy to sign off on that one though.
Nice! Yea me and the wife haven't talked about anything but not doing the IM possibly. NOLA sounds nice. I grew up going down there and the wife had never been so maybe we can do that although I have a feeling I will be doing mostly local. We shall see...

2013-05-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Originally posted by uhcoog So I have most of my races through this time next year paid for. Weird.

Haha. Coach just shot me over my plan for the rest of this year and we've discussed major races next year as well. Right now I'm looking at Sylvan Beach sprint next weekend, then being off through most of the summer and racing Clear Lake Olympic the end of August, then Oilman 70.3 in November. Then next year it's the Houston Marathon in Jan, NOLA 70.3 in April, and then hopefully IMFL next fall. I have to get Cindy to sign off on that one though.
Nice! Yea me and the wife haven't talked about anything but not doing the IM possibly. NOLA sounds nice. I grew up going down there and the wife had never been so maybe we can do that although I have a feeling I will be doing mostly local. We shall see...

I find its easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission . . .
2013-05-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: collyd123

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by collyd123

I could go on forever about my gear wish list, but first things first, I need some tri shorts and a bike shirt so I don't look like a fool.

I had quite an interesting weekend. I was at the beach with a few friends and wanted to get in a swim workout. She had a pool in the neighborhood and it definitely had not been cleaned in months and the water was extremely acidic somehow. But I was determined, so I swam about 700m and then got out to prevent death or serious illness. It was also an outdoor pool and it was windy in the high 50s, so I was happy to get out.

The following two days I did 45min runs on the beach and I felt great! However, my calves have never been this sore. Running on the beach barefoot is taxing.

PM me your sizes. I literally have boxes of random tri gear in M - XL. I may have some tri/bike stuff that works for you.
2013-05-29 1:17 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by kaburns1214

I find its easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission . . .

Sometimes I swear you're a dude
2013-05-29 7:07 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Wow, Chris that's really scary. Glad she's ok. Sounds like you've got it covered, though. Hope your own injury heals quickly, too.
2013-05-29 7:10 PM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Omg you guys with next years races already planned are SO organized. I really have no clue. It mostly depends on if I get into the school program or not. I should find out in the next 2 weeks or so. If I don't get in, I guess it leaves me open to have a slightly better attempt at LP or maybe try AZ or something else next year.

2013-05-29 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

Wow, Chris that's really scary. Glad she's ok. Sounds like you've got it covered, though. Hope your own injury heals quickly, too.

Thanks Deb.
2013-05-29 8:23 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Veteran
So I have a question for the group. This was posted in TT recently and I thought it was a good question. There are many here who have done full Ironman branded races, a bunch who are considering and planning to do a full in the future - so if you were to do your first full would you want your first to be an Ironman branded race or one that is not and why would you make that choice?
2013-05-29 8:52 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

So I have a question for the group. This was posted in TT recently and I thought it was a good question. There are many here who have done full Ironman branded races, a bunch who are considering and planning to do a full in the future - so if you were to do your first full would you want your first to be an Ironman branded race or one that is not and why would you make that choice?

Can't speak to non branded fulls since I haven't done one, but I can't say enough about IMTX. The support, the volunteers, the organization. Top notch from top to bottom. It was a race and an experience. I hear stories of very quality races like Redman in OK and while the race is quite well organized the atmosphere just isn't there. It's really a sight to behold and worth every penny IMO.
2013-05-29 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I guess I'm a simpleton lol - I wanted to hear Mike Reilly tell me I'm an Ironman. Well, that and the very first time I ever visited the US, my then whatever he was at the time (now husband) took me to LP. It was mid January, I had no clue about the Ironman, or even triathlon actually, but I fell in love with the place. When I first dabbled in tri, I knew that would be my first full. Would I be as excited about it if it were not an Ironman branded race? I think so. Everything all came together for that one. In future, I may well look into a HITS, but there's something reassuring about M.dot.
2013-05-29 9:32 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

I guess I'm a simpleton lol - I wanted to hear Mike Reilly tell me I'm an Ironman. Well, that and the very first time I ever visited the US, my then whatever he was at the time (now husband) took me to LP. It was mid January, I had no clue about the Ironman, or even triathlon actually, but I fell in love with the place. When I first dabbled in tri, I knew that would be my first full. Would I be as excited about it if it were not an Ironman branded race? I think so. Everything all came together for that one. In future, I may well look into a HITS, but there's something reassuring about M.dot.

Have to admit the Mike Reilly thing is pretty freaking sweet.

2013-05-30 4:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Haymarket, VA
When I work my way up to that distance it will definitely be an IM branded one.  Looking at the list I'd probably look at Lake Placid or Louisville.

Edited by mleech77 2013-05-30 5:05 AM
2013-05-30 5:57 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Dang - it's hard to get up and train when you're up late watching playoff hockey go into overtime...in game 7...in the last matchup between original rivals...

Well, anyway - busy today with meetings and packing for our trip to Disney. Hopefully I'll can scratch out an hour or so to swim/run and then wake up early tomorrow to swim before we leave on vacation. Then it's 10 days of vacay...some driving, some walking & riding rides, and some lazing - all of them eating. Yikes!

Hoping I'll be ready to pick back up where I left off when we get back.
2013-05-30 6:01 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I'm torn - I want to do a full at some point and the differences I've heard are that WTC is uber-cool for athletes while some of the non-WTC are better for families. Since my training for the IM will have a huge impact on the fam, I may lean to a non-WTC as part of a nod to them.

That being said, I really want to do IM-Louisville...I'm originally a southern Illinois girl with a soft spot in my heart for Kentucky. Realistically, though, I'd pick my first one based on my strengths.
2013-05-30 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I picked IMMT because the location is bada$$ (not because it's a WTC event). I couldn't care less about that. I appreciate the show they put on, but personally I don't need a show. I don't need crowd support or flashing lights. I'm a loner so I don't mind being in my own head without people all around me during my race.

I'd like to return to Cedar Point to do the Full Rev next year (if I stick with this distance) or try Beach 2 Battleship (difficult time of year for me though). I've also considered some of the races up in Michigan like MI Titanium. If I do another WTC IM, it will be because of location.....the NC IM talk seems interesting to me, particularly after people are speculating that if Asheville wins the course there would be more difficult than St. George (I would sign up for Asheville if this were the case). I would also do Los Cabos.

Short version is that it doesn't matter to me
2013-05-30 6:43 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
SWIM 5h 59m 45s - 23300.00 Yd
BIKE 26h 17m 01s - 419.35 Mi
RUN 15h 06m 13s - 92.97 Mi

My May is in the books. I have a rest day tomorrow, some easy race prep stuff on Saturday, and then an olympic tri down in Columbus on Sunday. Air temps are predicted to be in the high 70s. Water temps down there are at 68 right now. I decided to wear my full wetsuit for this race. Tough decision for me as I don't feel comfortable in it at all. I feel as if I may need it for IMMT and need to get used to it now rather than later. This may mean a slower swim time for me, and this could be a blow to my confidence. We'll see.

Happy with my month. I worked hard and I am proud of what I accomplished. I hope June is even better. Goals for next block are to commit to foam rolling every night, pay closer attention to HR on my long rides outside, and eat cleaner. I have put on a few lbs. when I should be losing right now.

2013-05-30 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
I am torn too. To hear "Christopher Muncie you are an Ironman," I imagine would be the most incredible feeling. However, doing a race with smaller amounts of people and in a more intimate setting is also appealing.
2013-05-30 6:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by jarvy01

My May is in the books. I have a rest day tomorrow, some easy race prep stuff on Saturday, and then an olympic tri down in Columbus on Sunday. Air temps are predicted to be in the high 70s. Water temps down there are at 68 right now. I decided to wear my full wetsuit for this race. Tough decision for me as I don't feel comfortable in it at all. I feel as if I may need it for IMMT and need to get used to it now rather than later. This may mean a slower swim time for me, and this could be a blow to my confidence. We'll see.

Happy with my month. I worked hard and I am proud of what I accomplished. I hope June is even better. Goals for next block are to commit to foam rolling every night, pay closer attention to HR on my long rides outside, and eat cleaner. I have put on a few lbs. when I should be losing right now.

Somehow I doubt it will translate to a slower swim time for you. I am also fairly confident you will kick asphalt!
2013-05-30 8:38 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

I am torn too. To hear "Christopher Muncie you are an Ironman," I imagine would be the most incredible feeling. However, doing a race with smaller amounts of people and in a more intimate setting is also appealing.

What I know is that the crowd pulled me through the back half of that marathon. From what I hear races like HITS, Redman, even Rev3 CP that have half and full options are very sparse in the crowds by the time the full folks roll through. Not sure that's what I want.
2013-05-30 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Signed up for the Houston Marathon. 3:10 projected BQ cutoff. It's good to have goals right?
2013-05-30 9:13 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

You'll get used to it. Practice, practice, practice.

2013-05-30 9:17 AM

User image

Expert

Signed up for the Houston Marathon. 3:10 projected BQ cutoff. It's good to have goals right?

Being old has it's perk....I only need a 3:25.

1:45 bike and hour run for a brick today. I still really feel like that 9 days off in Disney has really affected me. I feel like if I had raced right as I was leaving for vacation I'd would have been 15-20 minutes faster for an HIM than I am now. Plus for the first time all year my ITBS has been acting up. Not bad but enough that I have to monitor it. I think it was from coming back and trying not to miss a beat volume wise. I'll never do this again. It'll either be family vacation or race not both. I'm debating if I should do REV3 Maine in August or instead do a Marathon or another HIM in October. That way I could completely recharge after Williamsburg. Anyway the goal for Williamsburg has been completely reset. I'll be happy just to PR at this point.
2013-05-30 9:56 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Originally posted by everlong

1:45 bike and hour run for a brick today. I still really feel like that 9 days off in Disney has really affected me. I feel like if I had raced right as I was leaving for vacation I'd would have been 15-20 minutes faster for an HIM than I am now. Plus for the first time all year my ITBS has been acting up. Not bad but enough that I have to monitor it. I think it was from coming back and trying not to miss a beat volume wise. I'll never do this again. It'll either be family vacation or race not both. I'm debating if I should do REV3 Maine in August or instead do a Marathon or another HIM in October. That way I could completely recharge after Williamsburg. Anyway the goal for Williamsburg has been completely reset. I'll be happy just to PR at this point.

I am sure you will still kick it in your HIM!!!! I think we are all pretty addicted to all our activity and it would be really hard to take 9 days off so I really sympathize
2013-05-30 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You'll get used to it. Practice, practice, practice.

I won't get to practice in the full before my race, and it's been too cold to practice before now. I'm good in the sleeveless.....if only I could get used to the stinking sleeves.
2013-05-30 11:05 AM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kr140.6

Originally posted by everlong

I am sure you will still kick it in your HIM!!!! I think we are all pretty addicted to all our activity and it would be really hard to take 9 days off so I really sympathize

Maybe part of it is psychological? There's no way you lost fitness that quickly. I think you were in a groove and now you feel that you lost it. You'll get it back. Just keep at it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86