BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2009-04-01 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1856528

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL
Hey, waddya know! I emailed the HM timing people about the fact that my gun and chip times were the same--and couldn't possibly have been because I was well back from the starting line--but didn't expect anything to come of it. But I checked today and--yay!--they knocked 9 sec's off my time. Moved me up one spot O/A, but--more importantly to me (symbolically, anyhow)--it takes me below 8:00/mile for the race officially.

2009-04-01 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
2009-04-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2054385

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Poster Nutbag - 2009-04-01 10:00 AM

Lynn, when's the next local HM?

I'm pretty sure it's the La Jolla Half Marathon  somewhere around April 26th? I ran it last year but didn't have a great experience but mostly because of a friend who got dehydrated. I can elaborate if you'd like. It does include the big Torrey Pines hill (inside). I really liked the America's Finest City half which is in August. You start at Cabrillo and run down to Balboa park.

And, FYI, for anyone in So Cal. the SanDiego R and Roll is having relays this year with 4 to a group, each runner runs a slightly different distance, which is great because I didn't want to run the whole thing and yet you get to be part of the experience! 

Way to go, Todd. I'd like to learn to run that fast...maybe someday.

We're off to the mountains of Idyllwild for a short stay at our funky old cabin up there. I plan a trail run and a bike on Friday if the winds and/or rain doesn't get in the way. 

Happy, happy ya'll. 

2009-04-01 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Lynn,

Yeah, I looked into the La Jolla run and it looks like it's full this year.

Are you going to the HIM race this weekend in O-Side?  Same question for the Carlsbad 5000 ...

2009-04-02 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I ran 7.5 miles with the training group last night.  It was the course for the May 2 race.  I was able to talk and had some left at the end.  I'll leave it there next time.  How cool to do this after starting 6 months ago unable to run 3 mins. 

I also ordered a wet suit yesterday.  Full body, entry level Quintana Roo.

Edited by IceManScott 2009-04-02 12:49 PM
2009-04-02 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2057778

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
IceManScott - 2009-04-02 10:46 AM

I ran 7.5 miles with the training group last night.  It was the course for the May 2 race.  I was able to talk and had some left at the end.  I'll leave it there next time.  How cool to do this after starting 6 months ago unable to run 3 mins. 

I also ordered a wet suit yesterday.  Full body, entry level Quintana Roo.

Congrats on both counts! Must feel great to get in that distance.

It's amazing how fast running can come together if you stick with it. In early summer of 2004, after dieting for 6 mos. and walking for a couple, I still couldn't really run a quarter mile...by Sept. 2005, I ran a sub-50 min. 10K. In between, I don't think I missed more than a day or two of walking and/or running. Consistency and persistance are really the "secret"...some days, I'd have to take my running togs to work (if I was working a split shift) and get in a run over dinner break. Whatever it took, I made sure I honored my promise to my self to exercise every day, even if it was only for 20 mins.

2009-04-02 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Poster Nutbag - 2009-04-01 10:00 AM

Lynn, when's the next local HM?

Not local to you, strictly speaking, but not that far away: Palos Verdes Mar & HM is May 2. Still open for registration.
2009-04-02 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2048550

User image

Veteran
i felt the same way until 2 weeks ago when my partner went away for 10 days and i had no distractions.  i pushed myself to go to the gym and now, i'm baaaack!  i've run everyday since and each day it's getting a little better.  you can do it jocelyn, shake those blahs away!
2009-04-02 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran

morgan, it seems to me you've done quite a few events this winter, maybe you just need a little break.  you have my permission to take one Laughing

pat yourself on the back for staying motivated all winter - you deserve it.

2009-04-02 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2054528

User image

Veteran

woosh

the breeze is chilling.

2009-04-02 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2057778

User image

Veteran

very cool.

how does one go about finding the right wetsuit?  i can't consider a tri in new england without one - even in the heat of summer.  that's somewhat of an oxymoron...

2009-04-02 4:51 PM
in reply to: #2058194

User image

Veteran

yeah, my goal right now is to run everyday until i can go for an hour without stopping.  i'm at about 45 mins. now and i know i could go farther i just don't have the time in my schedule.  but if i could get my lazy a outta bed when the alarm goes off i'd be at the one hour mark in no time. 

memo to self - put your money where your mouth is.

you guys are all great inspiration to me, thanks.

2009-04-03 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I'm running 2-3X a week, drawing out the distance.  Swimming 2-3 times a week, with at least one drill session and a longer swim up to 1800 yards.  I had 450 miles on the road on my bike in March and road my first 30 in April last night.  Weather here has been really wet and windy and cold.  So, running longer and more often is hard time-wise for me.  I joined the running club to make myself show up on time and do what they tell me.  That has worked out really well.  I respond well to informed direction. 

I can't say I "enjoy" the run yet, but I really don't mind it.  That's a huge change from the start when I dreaded it.  But setting goals and meeting them has changed my attitude.  What I like most about the run is what the cross training is doing for weight loss and fitness.  A marked improvement in both areas.  I was in a rut with the riding alone.  Body had grown accustomed to the daily rigors of doing the same several miles at the same intensity.  It became efficient at meeting the challenge.  Weight loss slowed as a result.  By "confusing" my body and ramping up the challenges, the weight loss accelerated again.

The wet suit thing was a combination of reading gear reviews, coming to a conclusion of what would work performance-wise and cost-wise and then going to the guy I know who owns the outdoor gear store in town.  He is a scuba diver so he knows wetsuits and has gotten into tri gear as the sport has grown around here. 

He actually rents suits.  Check that out as an alternative to buying until you know what you want. 

He handles Quintana Roo, a good name, and he knew what was available.  He also knows some of the features like a break-away zipper to speed the process in transition.  Full suit or not, I chose full because I have muscular legs and can use the floatation help and if I ever do an Ironman, like as not it will be in saltwater.  Reading about things that can go wrong, I decided I did not want any more stings from jellyfish than necessary.  Might be something that doesn't happen often, but I'd hate to train for an event only to have it blow up on me because of something like that.   It is an entry level model that lists for about $250, but he's giving me a deal in exchange for me singing his praises. I have no problem with that.  He sells quality stuff, gives great service and is a decent guy.   It amounts to a sponsorship.  Same with a local bike shop.  I am very particular who I let on my team, but they are loyal to me and I am loyal to them.   

2009-04-03 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Internet weirdness...posted a response about choosing a wetsuit last night and it seems not to have gone through...

Anyhow...

As Scott said, renting is always an option. Not all stores rent and most tris that have a rental option only offer one brand of suit, but it definitely is a way to get started.

If you can find a store that stocks multiple brands and will let you try suits on without a lot of pressure to buy, that's really a good thing to do, both to compare brands and also suits at different price points. (Personally, I think it's easy to overspend on a wetsuit.) Fit is really critical...wetsuits don't have seatposts to raise or stems to swap out. Critical to make sure suit is pulled up snugly at the crotch and then evaluate whether it binds in the shoulder...that's where you need real freedom of movement. In my experience, if it feels at all like there's any pull down on your shoulders (like your crotch and shoulders are at all being pulled towards each other), then the suit is probably too small.

If you buy online, make sure you're clear on the seller's policy on return after trial swim (most allow it, AFAIK). Also regarding size exchanges. I had to do an ASAP size exchange on my suit and Xterra handled it really well.

Ultimately, my wife and I bought primarily on the basis of price. Keep an eye out for deals. Xterra, for instance, is running a big sale now. I'm probably going to buy an Xterra sleeveless suit for my IM, since the water temps will be barely wetsuit-legal...Xterra's got a $200+ model on sale for $99 right now. (I wouldn't recommend a sleeveless suit for ocean or early/late season swimming.)
2009-04-03 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Hey all,

Anyone heading down to Oceanside tomorrow for the California HIM?  Lynn?  Todd?

If so, let's hook up!

2009-04-03 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2060732

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Poster Nutbag - 2009-04-03 9:45 AM

Hey all,

Anyone heading down to Oceanside tomorrow for the California HIM?  Lynn?  Todd?

If so, let's hook up!

Not this year (although I should, since I've been thinking about registering for next year's race)...need to get in a ride tomorrow with my wife and then probably going to a friend's birthday party.

Have fun!

2009-04-03 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2059903

User image

Veteran

scott, thank you for the feedback on the wetsuit; it gives me a starting point.  i will begin looking around here, there is actually a dive shop walking distance from my house so i will see what they try to sell me and compare to what you've just told me.

cross-training is da bomb!  i rode long distance bike for years and thought nothing of riding 70-80 miles before everyone else was out of bed but i was stale.  then i began running.  i actually developed a butt for the first time in my life and yes, i'm bragging about that Wink  but(sorry, i couldn't resist) i started to feel the zone-thing that runners talk about.  that has made all the difference in the world.  now, the goal is to conquer the swimming which i really am very weak in and seriously need a coach if i really want to tri.

have a great weekend!

2009-04-03 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2060664

User image

Veteran

todd, great  minds think alike.  thanks for the wetsuit info too.  fit is a real challenge for me; i'm tall and thin so stuff tends to be irritatingly short and baggy, two things i don't think will serve me well in a wetsuit.  i wasn't planning on buying online because of the fit issues but i will definitley check Xterra and their return policy.  no way am i going for sleeveless here.  the highest the ocean temp gets is mid 60's and that's after weeks of 90+ degree air temp.  in fact, i'm thinking about geting a hood - lol!

question - does a wetsuit make one feel claustrophobic?

2009-04-03 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

"question - does a wetsuit make one feel claustrophobic?"

Depends on the person, I would assume.  I've never personally felt claustrophobic in a wetsuit, but I got my first wetsuit when I was 7 and have used them ever since.  Very comfortable to me.

But I also imagine it could be a problem for some at first.  Definitely not a "rule".  I would simply suggest wearing it as much as possible to get used to it.  Wear it to the pool, even if you feel like an idiot.  Seriously, the LAST thing you want is to panic on race day because of a wetsuit!  

What I like about tri wetsuits is that they're thin and they let you move in the water, kind of actually fun to wear.  Surfing wetsuits tend to be thicker all around, and diving suits can be a pain, especially if you're diving in California and wearing a 3/4" suit!  The tri suits, to me, feel very natural.

I just use a QR Ultra-Full, the entry level suit.  Affordable at under $200, easy to get on and off, and it does what it's supposed to do ... which is to keep me a bit warmer and increase buoyancy a bit.  Personally, I can't for the life of me see spending $500 to $700 on a wetsuit.  Ever.  Do they really help *that* much? 

2009-04-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2060852

User image

Veteran

good advice morgan, thanks.  i'm sure wearing your first suit at 7 makes a bit of a difference but i totally get what you say about wear it alot pre-event to get used to it.  i actually thought about wearing it to the pool but first i have to get my to the pool; then i'll think about wearing the wetsuit

i agree that spending anything over $200 is nuts for someone at my experience level (read none) but some people get their kicks having the latest and greatest so, there will always be a market...  personally, i'm looking for one that keeps these scrawny limbs warm in the freezing cold new england ocean.

i really need to think about relocating...

2009-04-03 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA

Computer is back and working! Woo hoo! Hip is still hurting at times, so training is very touch and go.

It's GORGEOUS here in So Cal today! Hope everyone has an amazing weekend! Anyone racing?

2009-04-04 10:03 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Not a great day today. Got into a confrontation with a psycho on the local bike path whose wife rollerbladed right into my path, even after I'd warned them I was coming up from behind. Managed to hit the brakes and unclip and neither go down or hit her. But he got in my face and things escalated from there. I was very conscious not to touch him or make any threatening gestures or statements, but he was pretty likely high on something and when he started threatening me, my wife called 911. While she was talking to the operator, he headbutted me in the face. No real damage (very small chip on a front tooth and small cut on my nose from my sunglasses) and he backed off a bit after that (and me finally throwing down my bike at that point). There was a witness and when I went to flag down a passing city bus, he and his wife and another woman with them split. I followed on my bike (at a distance) but lost them in a nearby neighborhood. Cops took my statement and the witness's name, but I don't expect to hear anything more about this.

People always caution not to escalate "bike rage" confrontations, but those are usually drive-by. In this case, I had to stop and clipout and this guy got right in my face right away. At a certain point, I have to say, life isn't really worth a lot if you eat crap from some random dirtbag just because he threatens you. If there was a weapon in evidence, maybe I'd be singing a different tune, but this was a pretty difficult situation to just walk away from.

Clueless pedestrians and cars...two reasons I'll never really like road biking all that much.
2009-04-05 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Sorry about that experience, Todd. Shake it off.

It's really great to hear about everyone's training and how well you're all doing. Really making some breakthroughs, even with other life stuff happening, including injuries.

Morgan _- Looked for you at the 70.3 yesterday. No see. I was at the run turnaround most of the afternoon. 

2009-04-05 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2063856

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
lmscozz - 2009-04-05 12:23 PM

Sorry about that experience, Todd. Shake it off.

Yeah, we finished the workout after the incident, anyway. And put up a 20 mile run today. Face is a little sore (hurts a little to wear my sunglasses, but not enough to not wear them). No bruising or anything...just the chipped tooth and cut on the nose.
2009-04-05 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I've always wanted to be the turn-the-other-cheek kind of guy, but when I did, I felt so damn bad about myself afterward, I just decided Hey, that's just not me.  I avoid confrontations when I can but sometimes I just can't.  For example, a college kid swerved into my lane right in front of me and tossed me a finger a week or so ago, obviously the swerve was intentional.  What he didn't expect was me doing 20 mph plus to catch him when he got stuck at the next corner behind cars.  He did not like the things he was called.  He lacked the 'nads to do anything about it.  I really didn't care at that moment if he got out of not.  He deserved to be taught the manners his parents neglected to teach him.   I've come to a conclusion if you take that stuff from people, you are just passing the problem onto the next biker who may not be so lucky to be missed.

I've screamed at dogs and had them stop in their tracks, then screamed at the homeowner about their irresonsibility to let dogs run loose when they came out to see who was screaming at their dog.  Frankly, I could not care less what they think about.

I would have been the disciple who after listening to Jesus talk peace for 3 years would have grabbed the sword and cut off the ear of the soldier taking him.  I try, Lord, I do, but I've noticed people who push without meeting a wall just go on pushing.  I'm not a saint. 

Draw a line, phone the police.  Good work Todd.  Glad you weren't hurt worse. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Winter 2009 Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 45