BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-12-10 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2553264

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!!
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 3:23 PM

Oh and Roni - I will definitely hit you up for some recipes as well as visit the "triing for weight loss forum." I'm not doing training specifically for weight loss - I am also a very competitive person....and I just don't do well without a goal to reach. Been that way my entire life.

SSMinnow - I love schnauzers. I've had (hate to use the word owned) them for the past 20+ years. Wouldn't ever consider switching to a different breed. They are so smart, energetic (mine love long walks mixed with sprints, swimming, etc.) and lovable. And they don't shed...that's a HUGE bonus. I'll post a pic to my profile in the next few days.

So for my first question: Any ideas on which race to enter first? Should I do a local one? Or is there a sprint renowned for being a good first tri?

I hear you on being goal oriented. There's nothing like an upcoming race to get my butt out there training.  

As far as a good tri for your first one, I agree with Linda, find one close to home. As far as the swim goes, I think a lot of people have a hard time with OWS because they don't do any OWS before the race.  If you pick a tri with an OWS, just make sure you do some practice swims in similar water before the race.  I admit I'm a bit biased, because I love the open water and have never done a tri with a pool swim. My first sprint was in OW, and I panicked and did a lot of back stroke, but I got through it. After that experience I started swimming in the lake as often as I could during training and it has gone pretty smoothly since then.

2009-12-10 6:34 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 5:23 PMwimming, etc.)

So for my first question: Any ideas on which race to enter first? Should I do a local one? Or is there a sprint renowned for being a good first tri?

Redman is in OKC!  September gives you plenty of time to get ready.  Maybe just the half instead of the full iron. 

Seriously, this sprint up in Duncan in February.  Kinda far but watching one will provide you with a great learning expereince.  If you know anyone in the area you can make a weekend out of it.  Volunteer or just watch the action. 

Trevor is right too.  You'll be ready for the sprint at Lone Star by April!  You race Saturday then when I'm done Sunday we can drink a beer or 30 until everyone else finishes up.

2009-12-10 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2553292

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Havin'Fun - 2009-12-10 5:50 PM
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 6:23 PM

Hi Trina, Welcome to BT & the group.  For a first tri I would suggest something close to home.  Traveling to a race adds so much additional stress (for me).  I like local races and I like to support my community when I can.  Look around your area and go to your state forum on BT and post that question.  Sure some of the folks there could rec something close to you.   

Don't know which s/b/r is your strength, but some suggest to non-swimmers that they should look for a pool swim for a first.   Something about an ows concerns new folks     

Good luck

I agree with Linda, stay within driving distance, preferably local.   That way no worries about shipping your bike or fretting over getting there on time.   If OWS is something you are not used to, I would also check out the swim venue before committing.  My first race was a mini sprint, 200 yards in a man made lake.  As soon as I saw it, I knew it was for me.  I actually slept the night before because I knew i could handle it.  That is what I would want you to have for your very first experience......my two cents.

Suzy
2009-12-10 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2553368

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
For a first tri I would look at a race that is in many places called a super sprint.  I do one every year, 300Meter pool swim, 12 mile bike ride, 2 mile run.

Unless you have a solid swim background I would stick with pool swims to start with, gives you a good way to get into the sport. 
2009-12-10 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2553380

User image

Champion
So new wheel came in today.  Looks good I think.

Going to cut the upturn off my basebar here soon to make it more aero.  Also should see a bit less spacers or a bit more height on the seat after my fit next week.  LOL, guess I should start working on the engine sometime soon...

2009-12-10 8:51 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 3:23 PM

Oh and Roni - I will definitely hit you up for some recipes as well as visit the "triing for weight loss forum." I'm not doing training specifically for weight loss - I am also a very competitive person....and I just don't do well without a goal to reach. Been that way my entire life.

SSMinnow - I love schnauzers. I've had (hate to use the word owned) them for the past 20+ years. Wouldn't ever consider switching to a different breed. They are so smart, energetic (mine love long walks mixed with sprints, swimming, etc.) and lovable. And they don't shed...that's a HUGE bonus. I'll post a pic to my profile in the next few days.

Welcome to the group, Trina! 

I was also an athlete in high school (basketball) and college (lacrosse) and so I totally get that competitive thing.  I think triathlon has been different in that solo aspect of competition so I end up competing against my own times to try to do better (or at least better than John   )

I started back with a sprint tri in the fall of 2007 and had to learn to swim to do it (500 yd swim ows, 11 mile bike and 5k run).  It was so much fun, I was hooked!  I did a local women's only race which was such a great experience for me as I was a bit intimidated to say the least.

This group has really been great for both the comraderie, support and training tips.  Like Tracy said, no question is too small or silly, we all are constantly learning.  I just figured out how to breathe correctly while swimming after 3 years of self instruction!  (i finally broke down and am taking private lessons).

Would love to see pics of your dogs, I have a mutt myself but she is the most beautiful dog in the world.  And i am just a little bit biased...she is also a great running partner.

2009-12-10 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2553380

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-12-10 7:58 PM For a first tri I would look at a race that is in many places called a super sprint.  I do one every year, 300Meter pool swim, 12 mile bike ride, 2 mile run.

Unless you have a solid swim background I would stick with pool swims to start with, gives you a good way to get into the sport. 

so you've done 2.  lol.  

edit.  bike looks awesome.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-10 8:57 PM
2009-12-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2553443

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-10 9:53 PM
dalessit - 2009-12-10 7:58 PM For a first tri I would look at a race that is in many places called a super sprint.  I do one every year, 300Meter pool swim, 12 mile bike ride, 2 mile run.

so you've done 2.  lol.  

edit.  bike looks awesome.

Yes I do that one every year plus other sprints that are pool swims.  Good way to start out and then to test how you have improved each time.
2009-12-10 10:21 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Pool swim all the way. Start there.
Sweet looking bike Tony.
Cleveland Friggin' Browns, are you kidding me?? Seriously Steelers looked messed up all night.
2009-12-11 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2553385

User image

dalessit - 2009-12-10 9:02 PM So new wheel came in today.  Looks good I think.

Man Tony, that thing just looks fast.
2009-12-11 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

kickitinok - 2009-12-10 5:23 PM

Hey Trina!  Nice to have you join the group.  My recommendation is the OKC Super Sprint. They hold it down at the old Rose State Campus on like 74th and S. May.  The swim is in the aquatic center (500m), then a 12mi bike down S. May and back, followed by a 5k run around campus.  I think I will be coming up from DFW to do this race with my sister in law.  If you want to travel a short ways, there are numerous races in DFW of all distances.  In the summer, there is nearly a tri every weekend - there are three or four active production companies - Ironhead Race Productions, PlayTri, Dallas Athletes come to mind real quick.  Any MG peeps who come to DFW always have a place to stay at mi casa...  Anyway, welcome, the people in this MG are the best ever!

2009-12-11 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Alright, now to try to catch up on the rest of the thread (I can follow along my google phone,  but posting anything longer than a quick smart alec comment is difficult...

Tony - sweet ride

Trevor - nice self restraint

Matt - don't feed the animals at the zoo...

Tracy - I {heart} you and feel your frustration and pain.  Keep looking for the right PT and remember that the darkest part of night is right before dawn.  I will keep your recover in my thoughts and prayers.

John - You and Jarrett still coming up for Praireman?  I do hope you will save at least one beer for my fat slow azz at Lonestar...

Suzy - bought a copy of the book you mentioned yesterday - I need me some running Zen...

Roni - glad you made it home safe...

Rob - good job hittin' the pool - I am still trying to get brave enough to do the group swim thing..

Reuben - that poster is the funniest thing I have seen in like forever!

Where is Birdy?

Well I have to run now - still working on moving my mom...  We finished emptying her house in Tulsa yesterday and closed on it, now to walk through the new house in Edmond and close on it...  Job #1 will be removing the carpet from the new house...  I'll follow along on my phone, but will not be too talkative..

2009-12-11 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2553728

User image

Champion
marietta
ashort33 - 2009-12-11 7:42 AM

John - You and Jarrett still coming up for Praireman?  I do hope you will save at least one beer for my fat slow azz at Lonestar...

Where is Birdy?

Well I have to run now - still working on moving my mom...  We finished emptying her house in Tulsa yesterday and closed on it, now to walk through the new house in Edmond and close on it...  Job #1 will be removing the carpet from the new house...  I'll follow along on my phone, but will not be too talkative..

Still not sure whats up with wedding in the fall but most likely it will be an east coast race, although I'm only doing the relay up in Lubbock this year, which we need to talk about btw.  So there might be an outside shot at an early September race.   We'll see.  My schedule so far is up in my blog.

I was yapping at Steve on Wednesday.  He's around, just busy.

You're a good man for taking care of mom.  Have fun moving.  ;-) . 
2009-12-11 8:01 AM

User image

Champion
Tony---YUMMY bike!  I like the fact that it is soooooo clean looking.  That's what I want the GURU to look like.

Andy--you have to be in the mood and embrace many of the chapters.  There are several pages I read before EVERY race.  It honestly has helped me a lot.

Trina--seems like everyone is giving you some good advice.  Can you tell us where you are strong? and where you are tentative?  Most of us have focused on the swim, but if you are not afraid of H20, it may not matter which way you go--pool or OWS.

Yes, where is our fearless leader?  Do you think he and Ryan have tired of us? Ah well, we'll carry on....

I realized when you are not able to work out as much due to injury you work a lot more AND I finished my whole Christmas menu and grocery list......a first for me!  Off to the store to buy what I can before the masses start the process.

PS. Now I heard some photos of TW are surfacing.....never would have guessed that one in a million years.
2009-12-11 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2553761

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-12-11 8:01 AM

Yes, where is our fearless leader?  Do you think he and Ryan have tired of us? Ah well, we'll carry on....

venturing out starting his own business.  so a bit busy i imagine. 
2009-12-11 8:26 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey Suzy:

Check out these Zipp 404 650's ($900) for your Guru:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/504962444.html/>
Doug

2009-12-11 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Good morning all.  Thank you for letting me rant yesterday.  I appreciate all your support.  I'll be patient, I promise.  And just for you John I will find some cheerleading photos.  No cracks about hairstyles or hand placements.

Trina - I second what everyone is saying about your first race. Super sprints are fantastic first races. Let us know what you choose, open water or pool, for there is different advise for each.  I would also recommend going to watch a sprint before you race one.  It will do a lot to settle your nerves on the funny little details like how to work a transition, where you can /can't get on your bike, what body marking is, how do you line up for the swim etc.  And you don't need lots of gear or nutrition for a sprint race - so don't get worried about that.

Rob - those sound like great kick drills. Once I am allowed to use my legs again I'm all over it. Providing I find a pool with a deep end, my pool is only lap lanes that stay around 4 ft deep.  Maybe I'll find a spot with a cute lifeguard so I can get some hot mouth to mouth when I sink.........(things that make you go hmmmmmm)

Tony - very pretty and wicked fast looking. But I don't see any PINK PLANET X's in the background SAM?!?!?!?!?!?

Reuben,  how are the vitamin D supplements going?

Kim and Roni - how are you ladies feeling?  Hope all is well on the post race recovery.  Epson salt baths are fabulous. Roni, all you have to do is go jump in the lake at Glacier National Park for a quick ice bath and you're good to go.

Andy - way to be a good son.  And I would say lugging carpet around definitly counts as a workout for the day.
2009-12-11 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2553193

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
roni_runnw - 2009-12-10 4:20 PM
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 10:52 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Also, thanks for the inspire, Fat, and Tahrens don't worry - I'm not easily intimidated. I mean...I'm training for a triathlon at 44 y/o and 50lbs overweight, right?

Name: Trina

Status: Married with one grown child, two schnauzers, and one cat.

Current Training: Training for first sprint in Spring/Summer 2010. Still looking for the right first race. Started cycling in Spring 2009 and consider that my base.

2009 Races: Never raced.

2010 Goals: Participate in my first sprint triathlon. I'll see where I stand when it's race time. If I feel that I'm not ready I'll not race, and continue to train until I am ready. I am determined, but don't want to injure myself.

Other goals include hiring a swim coach to help with form and endurance. I also need to work up to the 5K run, so I'm doing walk/run intervals. I'm overweight, so I need to drop some weight before I get serious about running.

Weightloss: Definitely an issue with me. I need to drop 50lbs to be at my target weight. I need to get info on recommended diet, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Add'l info about me: I am self-employed, business is established so I'm cruising, have an empty nest, very goal oriented, ex-athlete (softball and volleyball), and desire better health so training for a tri seemed like a logical solution.

Hi Trina! Nice to meet you! You will definitely be ready for a tri by Summer! Have you looked at some of the training plans on this site? When I first found this site about 3 years ago, I had only biked recreationally on occasion, had never swam laps, and never ran a mile. I followed the basic "Couch to Sprint" training plan and finished my first sprint tri. After that I was hooked!

I also lost 55lbs, most of it before triathlons, by being more active, eating more mindfully, and counting calories.  I'm still down about 40lbs, but as you can see from the numbers it is important to continue to be mindful of your eating while training. The activity of training will help you burn more calories, but if you aren't careful it is easy to make up for all of those calories burned through what you're eating. I've done it quite successfully by gaining 15lbs over the last 1.5 years while training for marathons and triathlons.  Right now I'm busy getting my diet back under control with a goal of losing 20lbs. So feel free to send me a message, and we can trade tips, recipes, etc. There is a forum here on BT called "triing for weight loss" that has some support groups and other advice as well. I've also heard great things about Weight Watchers. If you don't want to "count calories" they have a system that makes it a bit easier. I think Doug (DougRob) is doing WW, hopefully he'll chime in on this too.

So when are the BIKINI pics going to start back?
2009-12-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2553985

User image

Champion
marietta
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-11 9:54 AM

shall i go first?  hahahahaha

i know it was at roni but i had too.  and it was a good excuse to get away from the triathlon mom's post. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-11 9:58 AM
2009-12-11 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
ashort33- Thanks for the OKC Super Sprint recommendation! It's perfect! Close to me, in June, indoor swim, etc. Perfect.

However, I have to say that the Galveston (Iron Star?) sprint looks super-fun. I'm really not afraid of open water as I have a boat and am constantly in open water during my summer swims. However, it's not competitively so who knows if I would panic? Are we allowed to wear life jackets? (joking)

There's also a sprint at the Lighthouse in Aug. Someone recommended RedMan. Isn't that an Ironman? I'll have to check and see if it has a sprint.

Oh, I'm getting so excited!

I'd say that cycling is my strong point. I live across the street from a lake (can't swim in it - it's a drinking water reservoir) and ride my bike around it twice every day weather permitting. 12 miles is nothing to me. 20 miles is nothing - I can walk out my door and do that right now. I'm a member of a bicycle society and I keep up with all the long-timers just fine. However, I do need to get a tri bike, but I'm waiting on that until after my first couple of tris.

My weakness is running. As of now I'm just jogging/walking.

I start swim lessons today and I'm excited about that. Decided to get a coach immediately so that I don't learn with bad form and fight to correct it down the road. I can swim 500m, but I sometimes have to rest after a few laps for about 15 seconds and catch my breath. I sometimes get a mouth full of water and choke...hahah! There I am - swimming and spluttering along....So I'll definitely have to build that endurance so I'm not the dork coughing water throughout my first tri.

Posting pics of my schnauzers in my profile.

2009-12-11 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
Tracy, I hate to hear of your ongoing problems.  I found a great site about pressure points while researching my Quad Tendinitis recently.  It talked about muscle imbalance due to tightness in what seemed like completely unrelated muscle groups. I thought it was ridiculous, but my pain has gone from manageable to completely gone.  After a workout my QT may hurt a little, but I work on those points and it's gone.  I'll try to dig it out and maybe there's something there you can use.
The vitamin D...I am feeling better.  More energy and a lot less sleepy.  I have another month of 100k iu per week and then 2 months of 14k iu per week and then I get tested again.

Trina, welcome to the group.  My first swim was an 800 yard open water.  As long as your comfortable with your swim abilities you'll be fine in OW.  But that dark water is a lot different than the pretty blue stuff in the pool.
Do you have any local friends doing tri's?  We have a large local group and it's helped me immensely.

Tony, great looking bike.  Concerning the engine...anyone can go fast, but only the cool guys can look great while going slowWink

Andy, re: google phone.  What do you have?  I'm considering a Droid from Verizon.  Currently have a Samsung Omnia.

2009-12-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2554094

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
kickitinok - 2009-12-11 11:24 AM

I live across the street from a lake (can't swim in it - it's a drinking water reservoir)

Can't swim in it?  Don't they treat the water before they put the water in the pipe.  We swim in everything up here in Indiana.
Are boats allowed on that lake?

Sounds like you have the riding part down.  Do you ride a road bike now?  A lot of us ride road bikes...in fact, I have no plans to get a tri-bike.
2009-12-11 11:00 AM

User image

Champion

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Also, thanks for the inspire, Fat, and Tahrens don't worry - I'm not easily intimidated. I mean...I'm training for a triathlon at 44 y/o and 50lbs overweight, right?

Current Training: Training for first sprint in Spring/Summer 2010. Still looking for the right first race. Started cycling in Spring 2009 and consider that my base.

2010 Goals: Participate in my first sprint triathlon. I'll see where I stand when it's race time. If I feel that I'm not ready I'll not race, and continue to train until I am ready. I am determined, but don't want to injure myself.

Other goals include hiring a swim coach to help with form and endurance. I also need to work up to the 5K run, so I'm doing walk/run intervals. I'm overweight, so I need to drop some weight before I get serious about running.

Weightloss: Definitely an issue with me. I need to drop 50lbs to be at my target weight. I need to get info on recommended diet, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Add'l info about me: I am self-employed, business is established so I'm cruising, have an empty nest, very goal oriented, ex-athlete (softball and volleyball), and desire better health so training for a tri seemed like a logical solution.

Hi Trina! Nice to meet you! You will definitely be ready for a tri by Summer! Have you looked at some of the training plans on this site? When I first found this site about 3 years ago, I had only biked recreationally on occasion, had never swam laps, and never ran a mile. I followed the basic "Couch to Sprint" training plan and finished my first sprint tri. After that I was hooked!

I also lost 55lbs, most of it before triathlons, by being more active, eating more mindfully, and counting calories.  I'm still down about 40lbs, but as you can see from the numbers it is important to continue to be mindful of your eating while training. The activity of training will help you burn more calories, but if you aren't careful it is easy to make up for all of those calories burned through what you're eating. I've done it quite successfully by gaining 15lbs over the last 1.5 years while training for marathons and triathlons.  Right now I'm busy getting my diet back under control with a goal of losing 20lbs. So feel free to send me a message, and we can trade tips, recipes, etc. There is a forum here on BT called "triing for weight loss" that has some support groups and other advice as well. I've also heard great things about Weight Watchers. If you don't want to "count calories" they have a system that makes it a bit easier. I think Doug (DougRob) is doing WW, hopefully he'll chime in on this too.

I guess the depends when you are going to slip yours on for us....ROTFL

2009-12-11 11:00 AM

User image

Champion

I guess the depends when you are going to slip yours on for us....ROTFL

2009-12-11 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Hey Doug...Thanks, but the 404s are not possible for me.  I had three bike fitters tell me the depth was too great given my size.  I blow all over heck with my very basic Cane Creek wheels so those would send me flying.  One of the Serrotta fitters suggested the 303's, but my builder thinks Zipps are crap.  He has built over 20,000 wheels himself so he is finicky and particular.  We are still hashing out wheels, but I do not know I am going to have a set of training wheels and race wheels.  He suggested Reynolds or Mavics for the training set.  Thoughts?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383