General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-01-04 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Thanks, Rocket.

I think I'll go ahead and toe the line for the half six weeks out. I'm especially interested in working my nutrition on the bike. Kind of lax on my previous 70.3 and think I paid for it more than I realized at the time.

2011-01-04 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3277971

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Just got this in my inbox and we're already signed up for a condo.

Turns out this 2 bedroom Riverstone Condo is now available for IronMan! The price is $3000 for 7 nights- minimum.

If you are interested please let me know as soon as possible as we have had a ton of interest.

If this does not fit what you are looking for be sure to keep checking our website for other rentals at: www.cdagetaway.com

Vacation Rental Inquiry Notification

Listing #:              307551

Description:        Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA, Riverstone Condo Overlooking Shopping and Spokane River!

Web Address:   http://www.vrbo.com/307551

Arrival Date:       Jun 23, 2011

Departure Date:               Jun 29, 2011

# of Nights:         6

Edited by lmscozz 2011-01-04 9:43 PM
2011-01-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3269631

User image

Expert
WA
3Aims - 2010-12-30 7:54 PM Well, I went with the HED Jet 6 C2 (60mm) for the front and Jet 9 C2 (90mm) for the back for my Christmas present.  Cheaper versus ZIPP, lighter than my current OEM wheels, and stronger for use now and then as a training wheel.  My 12-27 cassette is on order now. 

December training logs are final after my swim at lunch today.

Swim - 17 hours ~ 42,500 meters
Bike - 21 hours ~ 410 miles
Run- 19 hours ~ 149 miles

On another note, I've been looking at various CdA post race write-ups and race reports to learn/pick-up the little things as I don't have much tri experience.  I found this one interesting:  http://www.deltatriathlon.com/uploads/IMCDA_2007_Nasrin.pdf

Nice job on the wheels!
Great idea to look at old race reports, thanks!
2011-01-05 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Hey all... let me add my HNY to this group.  The wife and I just got back from a week in Vail, CO... where I spent every day trying to ruin my ironman dreams but just couldn't manage to wipe out epic-ly enough no matter how much I skied beyond my ability.  East coast skiing is now officially ruined for me, and I fear I may need to quit triathlon to afford a yearly ski trip out west. ;-)

I'm sure a lot of us, including me, are "getting serious" now that 2011 has rolled around and the race being <6 months away.  Friendly reminder that the surest way to have a bad race is to spend some portion of your prep injured instead of training.  You will have a FAR better race if you work out conservatively but consistently in the coming months than you will if you ramp up too quickly to the epic ironman workouts and get injured. 

I'd MUCH rather do six 75 mile rides as IM prep in the last two months before my taper, than do two 112 mile rides + four weeks injury.  While the majority of us will be focusing on building our volume in the coming months, this is your free PSA not to jump in head first if the base isn't there... especially on the run (where you are most likely to get injured IMHO).

If you start out running 3 easy miles 6 times a week right now (18mpw), and you increase your mileage by 5% weekly (a very conservative amount), you can be a 50mpw runner by the end of May.  If you increase it by 10% (a standard recommendation, but one that will not tax as much if you run 6+ times a week vs. the Ironman average of 3-4), you will be a 50mpw runner by the end of March, and then have 2 months before taper time to focus on race-specific performance.

The question is, are you willing to be as conservative (and as consistent) as you need to be now in order to get to those impressive numbers?  Most IMers make the mistake of trying to tackle too much, too hard, too soon and never get anywhere close to those numbers because they are constantly on the edge of injured, or fully injured.  Many IMers scoff at 3 mile runs because they are capable of doing 10... or they insist on running their 3 miles at high effort because otherwise it feels like they aren't working.  Many of them, however, tend to get injured when their mileage gets above 25-30 mpw (I think most IMers never get to 100 mile months consistently).

Preaching to myself here... because I am so prone to making those same mistakes.  Hope you enjoyed eavesdropping.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2011-01-05 6:51 PM
2011-01-05 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3280779

User image

Master
Vista, CA

JoshKaptur - 2011-01-05 4:49 PM

Hey all... let me add my HNY to this group.  The wife and I just got back from a week in Vail, CO... where I spent every day trying to ruin my ironman dreams but just couldn't manage to wipe out epic-ly enough no matter how much I skied beyond my ability.  East coast skiing is now officially ruined for me, and I fear I may need to quit triathlon to afford a yearly ski trip out west. ;-)

I'm sure a lot of us, including me, are "getting serious" now that 2011 has rolled around and the race being <6 months away.  Friendly reminder that the surest way to have a bad race is to spend some portion of your prep injured instead of training.  You will have a FAR better race if you work out conservatively but consistently in the coming months than you will if you ramp up too quickly to the epic ironman workouts and get injured. 

I'd MUCH rather do six 75 mile rides as IM prep in the last two months before my taper, than do two 112 mile rides + four weeks injury.  While the majority of us will be focusing on building our volume in the coming months, this is your free PSA not to jump in head first if the base isn't there... especially on the run (where you are most likely to get injured IMHO).

If you start out running 3 easy miles 6 times a week right now (18mpw), and you increase your mileage by 5% weekly (a very conservative amount), you can be a 50mpw runner by the end of May.  If you increase it by 10% (a standard recommendation, but one that will not tax as much if you run 6+ times a week vs. the Ironman average of 3-4), you will be a 50mpw runner by the end of March, and then have 2 months before taper time to focus on race-specific performance.

The question is, are you willing to be as conservative (and as consistent) as you need to be now in order to get to those impressive numbers?  Most IMers make the mistake of trying to tackle too much, too hard, too soon and never get anywhere close to those numbers because they are constantly on the edge of injured, or fully injured.  Many IMers scoff at 3 mile runs because they are capable of doing 10... or they insist on running their 3 miles at high effort because otherwise it feels like they aren't working.  Many of them, however, tend to get injured when their mileage gets above 25-30 mpw (I think most IMers never get to 100 mile months consistently).

Preaching to myself here... because I am so prone to making those same mistakes.  Hope you enjoyed eavesdropping.

Thanks for that reminder. Well said. And, I"m glad you didn't ruin your IM plans by wiping out on the slopes.

2011-01-05 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3270645

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
You should get a housing option asap!  not many left -- the options in Spokane are filling also (some other events taking place at the same time0.  Good luck!

2011-01-05 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3250271

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
If you want to drag an iPhone with you, it also has a GPS locator/transmit function...
2011-01-05 10:35 PM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
JoshKaptur - 2011-01-05 6:49 PM

This is really good advice and I plan on following it!  Although I'm pretty new to triathlon training, I'm familiar with the over training/injury thing from my swimming and cross country days and I will avoid it at all costs. 
2011-01-06 8:15 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Good advice Josh!

The main problem that I generally see in newer IM athletes is the fact that their bodies aren't ready to accept the training load that an IM requires. If you are one that doesn't have an extensive history in one of the 3 disciplines then you need to be very careful and very conservative in building to the IM distance. Try to do too much too soon or too much to fast/hard and you are going to be injured, that I can almost guarantee.

Another facet of training to consider is the mental side. Six months is a long time to stay focused on one goal. It's also a long time to be absent from your life (which other than necessities such as work is a real possibility), now is the time to get into a training routine and tweak it so it works with your family/professional/social life. Often this will involve getting up early to train before work/school, so instead of staying up to watch Letterman you need to go to bed. Be prepared to be tired all the time, it's just the nature of the beast. You should also pick a few intermediate goals that compliment your IM training (i.e. a HIM 6-8 weeks out, half marathon, century bike ride, etc) to keep you sane.

Good luck to you all and please feel free to ask if you have any general questions regarding training. You can PM me if you wish, but I think that the group as a whole might benefit from the different questions that you all  may have.

2011-01-06 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
JoshKaptur - 2011-01-05 6:49 PM

So you think 57 hours was too much in December?  Innocent     

2011-01-07 12:16 AM

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA
JoshKaptur - 2011-01-05 4:49 PM

Hey all...

Hey Josh, that's some great advice! You just gave me some serious ideas on how to structure my running. Thanks!

I like your suggestion because it's completely in line with Joe Friel's philosophy of "training consistency and moderation".  According to Joe (author of "Triathlon Training Bible" and "Going Long", my favorite tri books) that's the real key to athletic success.

2011-01-07 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3283149

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
3Aims - 2011-01-06 6:10 PM

Depends totally on your background and goals.  But not necessarily.

2011-01-07 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Hot damn I'm starting to get excited!   Guess I actually need to start getting out on my bike every once in awhile.  
2011-01-07 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3285644

User image

Veteran
Dallas
JoshKaptur - 2011-01-07 6:29 PM
3Aims - 2011-01-06 6:10 PM

Depends totally on your background and goals.  But not necessarily.

Just messing with ya.  Almost 20 hours of it was in the pool. 

On another note, I can't wait for my ride tomorrow.  I get to test out my new HED wheels and Corsa Evo CX tires.  Woot.   
2011-01-07 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3285739

User image

Elite
SE
two days on the bike outside this week so far, but that streak may be over. in comes the cold front and winds! thankfully that burnout thing i went through while ill is gone.

what will they play at the start of the swim? i can never forget the last two swims tunes (eminem-lose yourself and chasing cars from snow patrol). amazing how they stick in my head...
2011-01-08 2:36 PM

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Happy weekend,

18 degrees out this morning. Went to the Y and did 100 minute spin (20 min pre-class, 60 minute class, 20 minutes post-class). Wanted 2 hours, but mental fatigue got me, though legs still felt strong. The instructor was off her game today, and I forgot my HR monitor to boot. Should have stayed home and done a couple Sufferfest videos instead.

2011-01-08 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Wow.  The HED wheels are really nice.  The Corsa EVO tires are a perfect match too.  One thing I did not realize is how loud the Jet 9 is when you get moving.  Damn, no more sneaking up on people.   
2011-01-08 3:53 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Hi everyone,

I'm a late to the party!  Has anyone here ever used fedex or ups to ship their bikes back home after CdA?  Thanks and Happy Training!

2011-01-08 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA
Whoa.... Did someone say party?
2011-01-11 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Yesterday was the 24 weeks to go mark.  I went from just working out when I felt like it (not very often) to actually saying that I've started training.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me but it feels good to get going again.
2011-01-11 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO

It will be here before you know it......  24 weeks just isn't a lot of time!  I am going with a different plan this year, excited to see how it works out.....   KC, Missouri just got dumped with 4-6 inches of snow...  it will be a lot of trainer work the next few weeks on the bike.....

2011-01-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3292378

User image

Expert
WA
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-01-10 8:46 PM Yesterday was the 24 weeks to go mark.  I went from just working out when I felt like it (not very often) to actually saying that I've started training.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me but it feels good to get going again.

For some reason 5 months sounds much better than 24 weeks!!  I get nervous just talking about it!  Yikes!
2011-01-11 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

After months of looking everywhere, I found my motivation.  I turned the house inside out looking for it.  And you know where it was all along???  It was sitting right there underneath my scale!

Time to jump start the aerobic machine! 

2011-01-11 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3292378

Extreme Veteran
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-01-11 10:46 AM Yesterday was the 24 weeks to go mark.  I went from just working out when I felt like it (not very often) to actually saying that I've started training.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me but it feels good to get going again.

Totaly agree.  I started using a plan yesterday.  Whoo Hooo!
2011-01-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3292733

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
RunRene - 2011-01-11 11:49 AM
T in Liberty Lake - 2011-01-10 8:46 PM Yesterday was the 24 weeks to go mark.  I went from just working out when I felt like it (not very often) to actually saying that I've started training.  I've got a lot of work ahead of me but it feels good to get going again.

For some reason 5 months sounds much better than 24 weeks!!  I get nervous just talking about it!  Yikes!

At 3:00pm today you will have 4,000 available training hours until the gun goes off.  Does that sound better than 24 weeks?
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171