BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-02-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1191900

User image

Master
Fort Worth
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
lastcall2003 - 2008-02-03 7:30 AM

Hey everyone - quick posting to let you know I won't be around today and not sure when I will be back on line

I'm flying to PA today and my new job starts tomorrow. I'm not sure what my access will be like and whether or not I'll get a laptop. I've asked for one, so I'm hopeful that I'll be back on line tomorrow sometime.

Have a great day!

Have fun Beth and good luck. 

2008-02-03 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Melon Presser

Hey, Mighty Manatees!

Yeah, we've been a bit quiet lately--I've had a week so full it cut into my BT time, gasp--but some fantastic accomplishments. Beth, so much warm love and good wishes for your move!

So, the half mary ... um ... I am in very good spirits. Here's the RR:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=102860&posts=1#M1192479

2008-02-04 1:48 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Yanti, your race report! Ha, you poor thing. That looks like it sucked so much. I'm very proud of you for sticking it out.

Beth! You probably won't read this any time soon, but good luck with everything! I'm looking forward to reading all about the new job and everything.
2008-02-04 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1192489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
TriAya - 2008-02-03 5:59 PM

Hey, Mighty Manatees!

Yeah, we've been a bit quiet lately--I've had a week so full it cut into my BT time, gasp--but some fantastic accomplishments. Beth, so much warm love and good wishes for your move!

So, the half mary ... um ... I am in very good spirits. Here's the RR:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=102860&posts=1#M1192479

good job on the run considering all of your issues. and a huge ouch.
2008-02-04 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Woohoo! I had an excellent ortho appt today. I walked out of there with customized inserts, a night splint, personal physical therapy advice, and a "go forth and walk on the treadmill, swim in the pool, cycle your fanny off" blessing from the doctor. No incline on the treadmill and absolutly no concrete, asphalt walking. NO running of any kind for at least 6 weeks (follow-up appt). Guess who's going to the gym tomorrow! I have to wear the inserts starting 1 hour a day and wearing them longer since they're hard, plus I probably need to wear them for at least a week before I try walking on the treadmill with them. I'm just (figuratively) happy dancing all over the place.
2008-02-04 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1194199

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
MrsUSMC - 2008-02-04 4:10 PM

Woohoo! I had an excellent ortho appt today. I walked out of there with customized inserts, a night splint, personal physical therapy advice, and a "go forth and walk on the treadmill, swim in the pool, cycle your fanny off" blessing from the doctor. No incline on the treadmill and absolutly no concrete, asphalt walking. NO running of any kind for at least 6 weeks (follow-up appt). Guess who's going to the gym tomorrow! I have to wear the inserts starting 1 hour a day and wearing them longer since they're hard, plus I probably need to wear them for at least a week before I try walking on the treadmill with them. I'm just (figuratively) happy dancing all over the place.

Terri! That is *fantastic* news! Oh man, I am so so so excited for you. I know how much you've been aching to get out there and do something, and it's just so thrilling that you finally can again. Yay! It's great to have you back!

2008-02-04 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Terri that is awesome, so glad to hear some good news!!!!! I am taking today off and back at it tomorrow.

On a personal note my youngest cousin and his fiance had their baby today a perfect little boy he is soooooooooo cute
2008-02-05 12:47 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I just hit SEND on my laptop and booked 3 nights and 4 days in Disneyland next month.  (Mar 8-11)  We were going to wait until the kids were older (2 and 5 now) but my dad will be down there for work and instead of him flying up here to the cold north, we are meeting him there for some Mickey Mouse and hopefully some sunshine.  My sister and her son (2 yrs) are also coming, so it will be super fun, albeit brief.  I'd love to have more time to track down some BTers, but unless you guys live in Anaheim it probably won't be happening this time around.    Hopefully it won't cut into my training too much!

Speaking of training, I officially begin the Oly 16-wk plan Wednesday....it has 2 rest days per week, which strikes me as odd....but I will faithfully follow along as best I can, trusting in the wisdom of the plan.  I guess that gives me some wiggle room for vacations and weather-related stuff.  And yes, I know to keep the long workouts separated by a day or two.  Although I am going to be doing a long run, bike and a swim on the weekends.  Over two days.   I am taking tomorrow off (or so I say now).

Shawn - congrats on becoming a proud second cousin (or whatever that is when your cousin has a baby). 

It's awfully quiet on here lately...other mentor groups may gain on our awesome post count if we don't get back online!!!

2008-02-05 4:29 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Wonderful news from several fronts!

Terri--I am so excited for you. Do take it easy on breaking the orthotics in, but you will love them as you get used to them. Be cautious but enjoy the exhilaration of training.

Shawn--a delightful new life in the family! Congrats!

Leslie--good on you for planning the trip. You are such an amazing lady, with such an amazing Dad--both of you really made the other. It will be a splendid family event.

As for me, I survived today nicely--I'm sure my legs would be less sore if I hadn't repeatedly taken hot showers yesterday (I usually run a lot of cold water on my legs after races/runs, but since that had already happened all morning ...)

Anyway, I'm in much better shape than I expected, I don't have pneumonia, and will actually do some training tomorrow and (finally) resume my HIM training plan this week.

2008-02-05 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Thank you everyone. My face hurts from grinning! LOL

Yanti, pneumonia is an awful thought....Melissa told me how miserable it was out there during the 5K and while I was snug in my house looking out the window at the squalling going on, I was thinking of you all and wishing I were being miserable with you.

2008-02-05 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Terri, you really need to let us know how things are going for you as you *slowly* get back into training. Like Yanti said, BE CAREFUL! We want you healthy.

It's definitely been slow in here. I had a very busy weekend, and I have to admit, I'm feeling awfully unmotivated in my training lately. I managed to skip two workouts last week (a swim and a bike) and I felt horribly guilty about it, then I took a day off completely yesterday, so there was some more guilt. I really, really need to swim and run tonight, but I'm feeling very tired and blah lately. Not sick, just...uninterested. I'm sure I'll make it to the gym tonight, I just really don't want to.

At least it's an exciting day in the office. Nothing like a big election to liven up a newsroom!

2008-02-05 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1195941

User image

Melon Presser

Terri, I love what you said about looking at the squall and wishing you were in it. I thought of you that day, and shortly following my nasty cramp, I looked at the rain and the choppy, angry ocean and thought even if my foot feels like it's about to fall off and it is powerfully grey out here today, I am so very grateful to be alive and out here moving. It did occur to me there were plenty of people who would give their eyeteeth to be in my very own soggy, squishy, heavy, nasty wet shoes!

Erin, lack of motivation is something all of us go through. No need to add guilt to an already bleh feeling! So what ... a year from now you won't remember missing a day of training here and there, but you will remember that ultimately you did most of the training and went on to finish an awesome race.

When I don't want to do stuff, I tell myself, (for example in running), all I'm gonna do is put my runnies on and go outside. That's all I have to do. If I still don't want to go at that point, I will come right back in.

I have done this probably a hundred times--and if I have my shoes on and am standing outside, I'll run. Once, ever, I came back in--I was sick and shouldn't have been out in the first place!

2008-02-05 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
It is nasty and windy with side ways rain and really howling winds and I get to run tonight!!! It will be cold and wet but stll have to do it. Should be a short run around 6 or 7 k so shouldn't be to bad
2008-02-05 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1196037

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-02-05 3:06 PM

When I don't want to do stuff, I tell myself, (for example in running), all I'm gonna do is put my runnies on and go outside. That's all I have to do. If I still don't want to go at that point, I will come right back in.

I have done this probably a hundred times--and if I have my shoes on and am standing outside, I'll run. Once, ever, I came back in--I was sick and shouldn't have been out in the first place!

That's a great idea, Yanti. I usually tell myself, 'Self, no matter how much you don't want to go, remember that you have never once regretted doing a run/swim/bike.' But that doesn't always help me get started. (I've found momentum is key for me. I have a much easier time working out at the end of a really busy day, but yesterday, when I had a day off from work and biking would mean dragging my out of my very warm and comfy apartment, ugh.)
2008-02-06 11:46 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi everyone!

just popping in to say I'm here in PA and doing well.  I have very limited time and computer access at the moment, so I won't be around as much as I like.

I'm hoping I will get my laptop soon and that will solve my evening access

I hope everyone is doing well!

2008-02-06 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Beth hope all is going great and we miss your posts!!! Our posts/day is WAY WAY down

2008-02-06 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Here's a post for the count!

Have done half of my first day of Oly training plan's workouts.   Still need to ride the trainer, but will do that while hubby is bathing the kids later tonight. That way I eke out more time in the day for ME.  ****Evil laugh!****  I wish it would stop raining and being cold.  Wahhhh, winter is annoying.

On a happier note....my in-laws are taking me shopping wherever I want tomorrow for my birthday--and I get to buy a (drum roll please) WETSUIT!  Hopefully.....I am in contact with a local tri shop......they have some in my size at 40% off right now......so we will see what happens.  Last year I was talked into a beautiful purse that I'd never spend that much money on (but I do use it daily)...so this year it is about something I will use a lot!  The in-laws also just got one more jetski, so I can swim along with it before the lake even gets warm!  I am so freakin' spoiled, it is sick.    By the way,  my birthday is Sunday, so you still have time to get my gift in the mail.....hee hee.

2008-02-06 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
It's great to see you around, Beth!

Leslie, that's great news about the wetsuit. You're going to have so much fun shopping for it! Just make sure the people selling it to you know how it should fit and all that. Have you worn a wetsuit before? I was happy for all the advice the sales people gave me on how to put the thing on.

What's everyone else got for today? I've got an hour bike. I'm working from home today, so it's possible I'll be able to do a real bike ride. If not, then it's back to the gym with me. At least I'll be able to make it to the spin class.
2008-02-06 7:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Bethie my love--so glad to hear from you, and we know you're stormin' PA like a happy Manatee! Where are you staying? Do you already have a place? Hint: get some of that ready-made cookie dough and bake some cookies, then it'll fill the place with a great smell and it'll be home.

Leslie--drooling with envy. Already my wetsuit from last year is too baggy in the midsection, which is great, but that means I need a new one!

HOWEVER ...

It's official, I've gained weight. I don't know how much, I don't own a scale, but I had to enter into serious negotiations to get into my swimsuit this evening ... none of my other clothes fit differently, and it's just been washed, so maybe that's it, but I am CHAGRINED! Plus, my face feels fat. So ... not sure what I'm going to do, but there will be some changes!

Edit: Hey, maybe my wetsuit will fit again

Edited by TriAya 2008-02-06 7:28 PM
2008-02-06 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Stop trying to be cheap and getting out of purchasing a wetsuit!! Just kidding. I haven't gone down that road yet of a wetsuit either. My first tri is a pool swim so that is ok. Question is what will I swim in my tri shorts and top or will the chlorine damage it. I don't want to have to do a clothes change after getting out of the pool.

Put in another 1K in the pool today so that is cool last 3 times there have all been a 1000m. I must say I can put in a pretty fast and solid 25m My 50 is getting better and can get a couple 75/100 sometimes so I am happy with the progress. baby steps right?
2008-02-06 10:02 PM
in reply to: #1198338

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I think your tri shorts and top will be fine, your team javelin uniform? Just rinse it well after the race.  Being dressed makes transitions much easier.  I prefer open water swimming, so am probably going to make good use out of the wetsuit.  I have got it all worked out now, and so hopefully by tomorrow at this time, I own a wetsuit. Then really, there's not much else I am lacking!  I can't even let myself fess up to the amount of triathlon gear I have obtained in the past year.  Scary!!!!  But well worth it, well worth it!!

Yanti, aren't you in love?  It's fluffy love weight and it will go away, especially with the exercising you've been up lately.  Just take it easy on those delish desserts I keep seeing pix of!!!!

I ended up doing the indoor cycling class at the gym tonight instead of riding on my trainer.  I just needed some other peeps, I guess.  So, I hit the gym twice today, and Spencer hit the daycare twice.  He did not want to leave.  Crazy! My oldest won't even go in the door any more.  Such different personalities.

Great job on the swimming Shawn.  Yes, it is all baby steps.

2008-02-06 11:07 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

So this is where all of the cool kids come and hang out

I have been a potter for quite a while now and practice a technique called "Raku", which is a Japanese technique for glazing and firing earthenware ceramics. Raku is a pretty severe process that includes removing the piece from the kiln when it is red and glowing and then reducing it in a low oxygen environment before quenching it in cold water. Needless to say, the success rate is pretty low. (Most pots will crack or break and even explode)

I have found that training and racing has a lot of similarities to practicing Raku which loosly translates as "Happiness by Chance". Many times you come away more than a bit frustrated or at best with less than satisfying results. (Sort of an exercise in delayed gratification)

Once in a while though, you end up with something of true beauty that you cherish. Of course, measuring success by just finish times hardly ever satisfying.

It seems that you all have had the great fortune to meet someone along the way who is a real one of a kind. If you find yourself in a place to call her friend, then you are truely lucky.  I had the good fortune to spend a bit of time with your mentor and had a few minutes of what you get to experience on a daily basis.

It is no suprise that when I look through the roster of folks here, that many of you are just as energetic as your mentor when it comes to sharing your time for the good of the group.

Train Well Cool Kids

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-02-06 11:09 PM
2008-02-07 1:51 AM
in reply to: #1198456

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
WaterDog66 - 2008-02-06 9:07 PM

So this is where all of the cool kids come and hang out

I have been a potter for quite a while now and practice a technique called "Raku", which is a Japanese technique for glazing and firing earthenware ceramics. Raku is a pretty severe process that includes removing the piece from the kiln when it is red and glowing and then reducing it in a low oxygen environment before quenching it in cold water. Needless to say, the success rate is pretty low. (Most pots will crack or break and even explode)

I have found that training and racing has a lot of similarities to practicing Raku which loosly translates as "Happiness by Chance". Many times you come away more than a bit frustrated or at best with less than satisfying results. (Sort of an exercise in delayed gratification)

Once in a while though, you end up with something of true beauty that you cherish. Of course, measuring success by just finish times hardly ever satisfying.

It seems that you all have had the great fortune to meet someone along the way who is a real one of a kind. If you find yourself in a place to call her friend, then you are truely lucky. I had the good fortune to spend a bit of time with your mentor and had a few minutes of what you get to experience on a daily basis.

It is no suprise that when I look through the roster of folks here, that many of you are just as energetic as your mentor when it comes to sharing your time for the good of the group.

Train Well Cool Kids

Thanks for stopping by!

Your words come at a great time for me. I've been feeling pretty umotivated lately, and sometimes I really need the reminder that I'm not doing this for the personal records or the race results. It's easy to get stuck on the frustrations, and forget that I'm doing this for me, and that I've met some amazing people along the way.

You're right, Yanti truly is one of a kind and believe me, we cherish her like crazy in here.
2008-02-07 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Waterdog, it's been obvious since day one that we have a truly amazing mentor, and we totally appreciate and love her!!  I am secretly hoping she moves to Seattle so we can hang out.    Thanks for stopping by the cool kids' group--always nice to have visitors.  Do you have any pictures of Raku that you've done?

Now, a triathlon question--sort of--I was in spinning class last night and we did a lot of aero riding, which is good.  However, I find that being busty, I can't really ride very fast in that position, as 'the girls' got in the way a lot.  It was quite amusing.  Is there a way to adjust the bike so that this doesn't happen, or am I doomed to never go aero until my girls either shrink away or I find some sort of super mega support bra that hasn't been invented yet??

I get to go wetsuit shopping tonight, woo woo!!!

2008-02-07 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1199134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Hey all, I just wanted to stop by and apologize for being MIA again . . . work just keeps getting in the way of my life   We are swamped . . . I was struggling big time, earlier this week, with the stress of worrying about work killing my training plan or sending me back gaining weight.  After a great talk w/ a good friend I'm feeling much better and more in control, though I still am not sure how to make my schedule easier.  I have been getting in workouts, and plan to continue to, one way or another.  We don't REALLY need sleep, do we?   I haven' t had a chance to read anything in here or log workouts - I'm gonna go try and do some now, before I lose the info in my watch (and my memory) LOL!  Hope you all are doing well . . . I miss keeping in touch with you all!!!  Hoping to find time over the weekend to catch up in here.  Can't wait to see what AWESOME workouts you all have been getting in!

Renee

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61