BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-04 6:45 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
Originally posted by rrrunner 

Yes, it does do swim stuff (well, i have to actually push the button Surprised) but it died. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

I just logged the food here on BT. Don't feel like comparing calories burned here to those consumed on another site. Not sure I've figured this one out though. It says the day is blue if you are below or under your calorie budget and red if you're over. Well mine is PINK. WHAT THE...???

TJ, there is some setup involved on the food logging. It is in your "Settings", under "Training Log Settings/General Log Settings". Also, setting up some body metrics mattered as well. I had to fool around with it to get an activity level that I am happy with. I also found that I had to do a little bit of logging before I was happy with it. I kept after it for about a week and then checked my weight against my starting weight. At that point I had an idea on my "BT Calorie Use". For me, the food log is good for accountability, but not so much for calorie counting, if that makes any sense.

Good luck.

2013-10-04 6:56 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKHAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONEAnd Gerrie wants to give you kisses:
Break out the drool rag, stat!
2013-10-04 7:04 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

More thoughts on competitive spirit while I was running this morning. I think there are multiple pieces at play. While I may have some competitive spirit, I may lack ability, or motivation, or intellect, or an arena to compete in. My example is that I like to ride, and while doing so I may be inclined in a group ride to push for a sprint point, or a KOM. However, I may not do so on other rides, as my intellect may tell me that it is not important on this day, training for the big picture is more important. I do not have the raw talent that Rocky (a guy I sometimes ride with) has. Does that make me less competitive then him? No way, it just makes me work that much harder.

So many pieces to the puzzle.

Words of the day are from Ronald Reagan: "We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." And I thank all of you for helping me. Enjoy the day!

2013-10-04 7:08 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by bcraht
Originally posted by kgore

Finally finished the Cheshire suit, so I am able to catch up. I will be trying to get pics taken tomorrow... After reading about other's goals, if anyone is interested, here is mine--not so much for the 'off season' but until March or so(when I start hitting tri-training officially again.)

I will be officially training for a marathon (SF Marathon in July)

I have a Duathlon with my OCR team in January, so I intend to get out running 3X a week and biking twice a week.

I would also like to get my run speed to under an 11 min mile. (I know, slow compared to most of y'all, but for me, that is like light speed!)

I also will get some strength training going--I WILL CLIMB THE ROPE TO THE TOP AT ANY/ALL OCRS IN 2014!!!!

---'kay. that's it.

ooooooh, can't wait to see pics!

Those sound like great goals, Kate.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Great goals.

Really looking forward to seeing pics of your suit.  I'm a white sheet/ghost kinda gal on the creativity scale, so I'm always blown away with people who have the idea, the ability, and tenacity to make it happen.  Kudos.

2013-10-04 7:13 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jobaxas
Originally posted by MadMathemagician
Originally posted by switch

Hey Gang,

I have a couple of questions. 

1) How do you put the list of Manatees with the links on the front of your training log.  Many of you have this, and I would like to follow suit.

2) I would love to know what everyone's plans/goals are going into the off-season.  Some people have goals listed in the from part of their logs, but it would be nice to hear what people are reaching towards these days, if you don't mind sharing :)

There is no off season for me.  It is the combination of working out ~15 per week and eating properly that keep me free from having to take pharmaceuticals in general and psychotropics in particular.   I no longer have to take meds for hypertension.  Also the PTSD demons are keep at bay.   I'm 55 years old.  This life style lets me live my life as if I were a younger man.     It's very satisfying that I can once again do the things that I once did in my teens, twenties, and thirties.   It might take a bit longer to recovery from certain excesses but that is inconsequential.    I see maintaining this life style for the duration, whatever that may be.  

It also let's me keep up with my younger girl friend, without a need for little blue pills.     Bless all young women who have daddy issues.  Cool

Oh 55 perfect!  lol.  not old enough for daddy issues - maybe older brother issues Innocent

Same here no off season though i barely race it seems!  I just train for racing.

Talking of which i randomly remembered i have a half mary next weekend....oops.  Better get my azz out and run 15 km tonight - gonna get the train halfway home and run the rest.  Wish me luck.  Its a glorious sunny spring day - should be nice running along the beach.

Jo, I'm glad you were able to go for a run and enjoy a beautiful spring day.  I suffer in the winter, and last winter was so bad, that I can work myself into a bit of a panic thinking about the upcoming one.  I really hear you on this, and I'm feelin the spring love with you!  It's one of the best feelings ever :)

Good luck training for your half!

2013-10-04 7:16 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk alright let's see if I can catch up: TJ I like your chicken and egg theory - and I like to think I broke out of the track I was in - albeit at age 40. Academics, or rather a good career was always my goal and I pursued it with a clear direction and goal in mind. I think working to hard as a young adult (maybe to age 28) burnt me out and all I want to do now is play. Of course, my new definition of play is this pursuit of swim, bike, run which most of my co workers think is UNOBTAINABLE! LOL And I too hate to lose my QOMs. The gratitude challenge - can this be anything? I Played today but I may have missed the rules......today I'm grateful none of my family and close friends are financially impacted by the government shenanigans. But I can make it personal too. Today I am ALSO grateful I ran 4 miles with no tendon pain When I was a kid, my parents got divorced and I was a really angry kid. My mom made me write down 3 positive things that happened to me every day. I guess it helped - but I'm still cranky 2014 Goals: 1. Get my HM time down - time TBD after next weekend's run - first HM 2014 is VT Key Bank May 2014 2. Get my HIM Swim under 40 minutes - End of June I'm doing a HIM relay and I volunteered to swim. 3. Oly tri last weekend in June - goal to finish 4. First HIM first week of Sept 2014 - goal to finish I need a massage

Great, great goals MBC!  When I saw the Vermont race listed, I realized I had no idea where you lived, so I stalked.  Simsbury?  I used to live in Kent!  I love your neck of the woods, and there are few things that can compare to NE in the fall.  Gorgeous!

I got a  kick out of your mom making you write down three positive things. Lol!  "You will be happy, damn it!"

FWIW, you don't strike me as cranky in the least bit. Ever.

2013-10-04 7:18 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by rrrunner Well I guess all this talk of pushing myself was a motivator. I went out this afternoon and got a QOM that has been eluding me. If Fi hadn't been acting up I think the margin might have been wider. Thanks MANATEES!!! You rock!

You Rock!!!!!!!!!!

This made my day :)
2013-10-04 7:24 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by brigby1
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl
Originally posted by switch

For the sake of avoiding long quotes, this post is to all the theoretical "littles" :)

In my n of 1, I can tell you I came out of the womb this way.  I was premature, which back in the 70s was a big deal, and I was a scrapper from day one. 

If I am "in" to something, I am incredibly competitive.  If it doesn't hold my attention, I could give two-chits.  It doesn't really matter if I'm good at it or not, though, in fairness, I think we all tend to like things that we're good at, no?

I was lucky to have success in both sports and academics, but there are plenty of things I SUCK at.  Music? Suck.  Languages? Suck.  Relationships?  Suck (and no, not in that way, you naughties!)

Yeah, let's talk about this over burgers and beers:)  Where and when?

This is me to an extent... if there's a way to be competitive (generally with sports, I'm not that smart) I'll find a way, especially if I like the sport.  Even in the bootcamp classes I've done, there was a group of 3 of us that would make it competitive for us during EVERY class.  I didn't care that one of the guys used to run track and the other used to play pro ball for the Eagles, I wanted to beat them at whatever we were doing... well, as long as we weren't doing sprints.  I knew better. 

If it's something that doesn't hold my interest?  Nah, don't care at all. 

Interestingly, I suck at all the same things.  

So... when is this burgers & beer meet-up?  And can I have whiskey instead? 

So, I guess where I am at is that I can only push myself as hard as I can push myself. If that means beating people or beating a PR or whatever your measuring stick is, then great. But ultimately knowing I pushed as hard as I can push is most important. Because that is the only thing I can actually control. 

I read this like 3 times to make sure I had your meaning. This is a really good point and deserves some contemplation. In a recent 2.5 mile run my second mile was 8:47, which is really good for me. I wasn't particularly pushing for speed but I've been focusing on pushing myself, mentally, through times I want to slow down, or walk. I think that brings up my average pace by not walking/slowing down but it also conditions me to improve in the "easy" times.

ETA: the entire run averaged 9:05/mile

Well and, for instance, I run with a club and within that club are some VERY talented runners. If my goal was to win, I would never achieve my goal. There are guys that run sub 14:00 5Ks. I can safely say that I will never run that kind of time, so what good would it do to run to win? I guess I could "want" to beat them, but that just doesn't really seem like a very productive goal.

I'm kind of like the earlier bolded parts in that if I like an activity I can get into it and really push myself. If I don't like it, then the motivation won't really be there. It's kind of a yes/no in there in pushing with things that I like. I can go easier with others around if they keep things fairly easy, but flip the switch and get the adrenaline going, it becomes hard to go back & forth. Don't play with the switch unless you're sure you want it on (or I might just walk away). Because of that competitiveness, I haven't been going to groups very much. It also didn't help that the few people I was going with kept attacking like it was a cycling race and taking the fun out of it. I was better off on my own. I can find the motivation to push to the level I need for a workout quite often so didn't need that. I've been involved in some type of competitive sport most all my life.

But having said that, there is still value in the groups beyond motivation. Another aspect that's overlooked has to do with economy & efficiency. I can see this a lot with swimming in masters. I can push hard on my own, it's easier to do with the others around, but I'm also seeing efficiency improvements by being around others. I can see good or bad right away just by position relative to the next lane. I focus on both form and effort better in the group though I most certainly try on my own. The structure of swim workouts helps to temper attacks like I'd seen in the bike group. For running, you're pushing late in a tempo and working hard, what's left for your body to do is to keep working on being more economical. Using the energy it has more effectively to get more speed from it. The running watches can help some, but you see your running buddy far more often than you look at the watch. And you badly want to keep up with (or beat) them. I think this was a hidden value to to treadmill work I've done before. You can see the console & rails right away to know if you're sliding back on the belt. On the bike, while it's true that there isn't much gain from smoother pedaling, there is from power application and finding your line through terrain. When the roads start to hop up & down quickly, can you use your power and momentum well to keep up? Can you corner well to maintain speed? Accelerations take a long time on the bike, so maintaining speed through various situations matters. It's not necessary to go breakneck speed, but poor cornering on even the most basic course can cost a lot more time than an aero helmet will save. That's something I miss developing as well being on my own, but would need to find a group more similar to my ability and style for it to help.

And this would be why I don't train in groups.  LOL.  I feel ya brotha. I went on exactly one group ride with my tri team;)

Hearing you describe good biking skills makes me think I need to work  A LOT more on by bike.

How much of your training do you do on the treadmill?  Are you in the camp that always puts it at least at a 1% incline?  I read somewhere (Triathlete mag maybe), about a female pro who had an injury that prevented running outside, so her coach had her do all of her running on a treadmill at "quite a bit" of an incline, they didn't specify the incline or the workouts, but she came back to a very strong season with lots of run PRs.  I wish I could remember who it was or where I saw it.  Have you heard of this type of TM work?

2013-10-04 8:09 AM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by switch And this would be why I don't train in groups.  LOL.  I feel ya brotha. I went on exactly one group ride with my tri team

Hearing you describe good biking skills makes me think I need to work  A LOT more on by bike.

How much of your training do you do on the treadmill?  Are you in the camp that always puts it at least at a 1% incline?  I read somewhere (Triathlete mag maybe), about a female pro who had an injury that prevented running outside, so her coach had her do all of her running on a treadmill at "quite a bit" of an incline, they didn't specify the incline or the workouts, but she came back to a very strong season with lots of run PRs.  I wish I could remember who it was or where I saw it.  Have you heard of this type of TM work?

Don't worry, you don't need to be Danny MacAskill or Martyn Ashton. Smile A number like to quote how Andy Potts did all of his training indoors for a time, but miss that since then he has started to get outside more often. For this and additional reasons outside helps development.

I haven't been on the treadmill in a number of months until this past week. And I think that's one of a few reasons why I'm slower now than this time last year. So definitely adding it back in. I do tend to put in an incline when just going for a run, usually 1-2%, depending on the treadmill. They don't all seem to compensate the same or have the same accuracy towards this, so I try to feel it out. I don't always have it at one spot for the entire time though. Will go flatter if I want to work on foot/leg speed, maybe all the way flat at times.

I don't recall the athlete either, but have read similar things, and do a good deal of hills work on the treadmill as well. Even though I mention hills in the logs, they're really not that great outdoors by me. So it's more to help differentiate the style of the run as a bunch of small ones in a row is still certainly different than a few solid climbs or a flat run. I like the treadmill for hills because there is so much more control available. Both on the incline available and how long they are. Daniels likes them for these reasons as well and also brought up the point that they help to avoid the damaging downhill running in between (you should check out this book Tongue out). I'll use anywhere from 4-8% on these, going with right in the middle most often. And I'd do them as either cruise intervals or VO2 intervals, depending on which I wanted to work.

2013-10-04 8:40 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyKHAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONEAnd Gerrie wants to give you kisses:
This is what happens when they eat apples., or oranges, or watermelon, or mandarins.
2013-10-04 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So a new by question...

To use trainer road I need to have and ant+ bike computer don't I? What about Sufferfest?

Just because of life I end up doing my rides on the trainer most of the time especially during the week. I am dying of boredom so I need to find something to keep me occupied preferably that I can use on my iPad.

If I'm not a strong rider will Sufferfest be too much to start with?

2013-10-04 9:13 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK So a new by question... To use trainer road I need to have and ant+ bike computer don't I? What about Sufferfest? Just because of life I end up doing my rides on the trainer most of the time especially during the week. I am dying of boredom so I need to find something to keep me occupied preferably that I can use on my iPad. If I'm not a strong rider will Sufferfest be too much to start with?

You need a speed sensor that works on the ant+ signal and an ant+ usb stick for your laptop/desktop computer to receive the info. A bike computer is not necessary.

Sufferfest is a series of training videos by a completely separate group, though they find it very beneficial to work with each other. They work based on effort relative to the individual so anyone can do it. At 100%, these will be very hard for anyone, but you don't *have* to do it that hard to see benefits. I rarely do all-in. Trainerroad takes those suggested effort values Sufferfest puts up and converts them to a power value based off what FTP you are using. There is also a scale to adjust this so that you don't have to go at 100% all the time.

Trainerroad also has many other workout profiles to use. Sufferfest is only a part of it.

2013-10-04 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
On cloud 9 this morning and had to share. Last night I had the opportunity to ride with some friends of mine who are very fast cyclist. In fact one of them has a good shot having the fastest amateur bike split in Kona next weekend. Anyway it was a easy training ride for them but really pushed me way out of my comfort zone. Finally hit 20+ avg! I've been at a ceiling of 18-19 avg on my fast rides and really needed to be pushed passed it. I had a blast last night and certainly need to get out there and push myself more often.
2013-10-04 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by StaceyK So a new by question... To use trainer road I need to have and ant+ bike computer don't I? What about Sufferfest? Just because of life I end up doing my rides on the trainer most of the time especially during the week. I am dying of boredom so I need to find something to keep me occupied preferably that I can use on my iPad. If I'm not a strong rider will Sufferfest be too much to start with?

You need a speed sensor that works on the ant+ signal and an ant+ usb stick for your laptop/desktop computer to receive the info. A bike computer is not necessary.

Sufferfest is a series of training videos by a completely separate group, though they find it very beneficial to work with each other. They work based on effort relative to the individual so anyone can do it. At 100%, these will be very hard for anyone, but you don't *have* to do it that hard to see benefits. I rarely do all-in. Trainerroad takes those suggested effort values Sufferfest puts up and converts them to a power value based off what FTP you are using. There is also a scale to adjust this so that you don't have to go at 100% all the time.

Trainerroad also has many other workout profiles to use. Sufferfest is only a part of it.

Thanks Ben. I knew they were two separate things I guess I just don't know if I should go with one or both or none for now.
2013-10-04 9:48 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner Well I guess all this talk of pushing myself was a motivator. I went out this afternoon and got a QOM that has been eluding me. If Fi hadn't been acting up I think the margin might have been wider. Thanks MANATEES!!! You rock!

Yeah, girl!!!! WOOOOO!!!

2013-10-04 9:52 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Haha...good timing. After checking in with my MIL and my mom, figured I should catch the rest of "the fam" up on my azz kicking. No two ways about it, this has been a serious beat down. Fever read 103.8 at urgent care this morning. Strep test-neg. Flu test- neg. Chest xray-neg, but sent out for second opinion. Doc prescribed a cough med with kick of codeine. Fast forward three hours and doc calls with more info. Seems there's a congestion in my left lung consistent with pneumonia; he's calling over a prescription for antibiotics. First thought? Well, heck...how am I supposed to be ready for Soma bike relay in two weeks. Thank you all for the happy thoughts and healing vibes! (I read them yesterday before fever struck me down again)

Aw, Erin...so sorry to hear you have pneumonia!  Take your meds, rest, drink plenty of fluids and heal!!

2013-10-04 9:54 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE Gerrie wants to send you kisses... Now to catch up with the pod.

Normally I love doggie kisses but if that is frothy drool, I think I'll pass on the kiss from her?  him?  but will gladly give one on top of his/her head!

2013-10-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JJ- On cloud 9 this morning and had to share. Last night I had the opportunity to ride with some friends of mine who are very fast cyclist. In fact one of them has a good shot having the fastest amateur bike split in Kona next weekend. Anyway it was a easy training ride for them but really pushed me way out of my comfort zone. Finally hit 20+ avg! I've been at a ceiling of 18-19 avg on my fast rides and really needed to be pushed passed it. I had a blast last night and certainly need to get out there and push myself more often.

Wowzers!!  Congrats, speed demon!

2013-10-04 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by StaceyK

Thanks Ben. I knew they were two separate things I guess I just don't know if I should go with one or both or none for now.

I use the Sufferfest vids without Trainer Road. I'm not opposed to TR but I understand it's pretty finnicky about setup and I tear my bike down after each time I use the trainer. As for Sufferfest, if you're not hooked up to TR then its percieved effort. You do what you can.

2013-10-04 10:02 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JJ- On cloud 9 this morning and had to share. Last night I had the opportunity to ride with some friends of mine who are very fast cyclist. In fact one of them has a good shot having the fastest amateur bike split in Kona next weekend. Anyway it was a easy training ride for them but really pushed me way out of my comfort zone. Finally hit 20+ avg! I've been at a ceiling of 18-19 avg on my fast rides and really needed to be pushed passed it. I had a blast last night and certainly need to get out there and push myself more often.

Wowzers!!  Congrats, speed demon!

Agreed! Very nice!!!!!!!!!!

2013-10-04 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by cdban66

Yes, it does do swim stuff (well, i have to actually push the button Surprised) but it died. Zero. Zip. Zilch.

I just logged the food here on BT. Don't feel like comparing calories burned here to those consumed on another site. Not sure I've figured this one out though. It says the day is blue if you are below or under your calorie budget and red if you're over. Well mine is PINK. WHAT THE...???

TJ, there is some setup involved on the food logging. It is in your "Settings", under "Training Log Settings/General Log Settings". Also, setting up some body metrics mattered as well. I had to fool around with it to get an activity level that I am happy with. I also found that I had to do a little bit of logging before I was happy with it. I kept after it for about a week and then checked my weight against my starting weight. At that point I had an idea on my "BT Calorie Use". For me, the food log is good for accountability, but not so much for calorie counting, if that makes any sense.

Good luck.

I set up the body metrics but my confusion is in setting up the daily caloric goal. I'd like to set it at say using 200 cals less than consumed but I'm not sure it can do that. I thought that's what the +/- kcals did but it doesn't look right.

2013-10-04 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by amd723
This is what happens when they eat apples., or oranges, or watermelon, or mandarins.

I grew up with a very slobbery St. Bernard but mom didn't allow dog kisses so now at 46 I still  hate being licked.

2013-10-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations!

2013-10-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jonathan, Congrats on having a great ride. You have hit on one of my reasons for group rides. I currently have 3 groups that I ride with. One pushes me to just keep up, the Big Dogs. Those dudes can flat out go. Another, through my LBS, have multiple abilities on any given day and may give me some push. The third is mostly social, but can be more of a push if the right folks are there.  I credit group riding with improving my handling and bike skills as well.

However, I don't always ride in group, I usually do 1 ride a week with them. My other rides have objectives built in (intervals, or TT work, or race pacing, or even nutritional aspects). So, as with everything else, it all depends.

Edited by cdban66 2013-10-04 10:30 AM
2013-10-04 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice work!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440