BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2008-05-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1354430

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!!

Forgot about my question.

I qualified for Ulta-Fits Mizuno Power package.  I picked up my shoes last night and paid an extra $35 for an upgrade.  How good are the shoes?  The seem a lot heaier than my current shoes, "Solyte" or something like that.  How much does lighter shoes matter.  It feels nicer having the low weight on my feet.  Would it make sense to race in the lighter shoes, and train in the Mizuno's? 

2008-05-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1378294

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-05-02 2:25 PM
Is this a quiz?  After we all answer, you'll give us the right answer right?

I say race.

I think he is saying he really wants to race... He is just wondering about the training side of things... But I do feel what you are saying.

Grasshopper, Try and take this pebble from my hand...

Edited by JChristoff 2008-05-02 1:38 PM
2008-05-02 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1378294

User image

Extreme Veteran
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-05-02 2:25 PM

newbz - 2008-05-02 2:01 PM so i need some advice from you guys. Between school and training and finals this week/last, i am feeling wildly over trained. i am taking today, and tomorrow pretty much off, and had a day off yesterday. i am supposed to race this weekend in a sprint race (OSU, and need to get the race in if i can). so my question is, do you think with the three days off, i should be ok to go? i am not feeling bad now, but tried to run and it was just like nothing felt right. i', thinking with two more nights sleep though things should be ok? thoughts? thanks!

Is this a quiz? After we all answer, you'll give us the right answer right?

I say race.

Pop quiz, huh? I'm game since it is this or do some actual work this afternoon ;-) If this is A race then race...if it a training race as you prep for TTT then listen to your body. If you don't and you fall into a real case of over training then you could be out (or at least at sub par levels) for weeks, not days. Of course, I'd probably race but I'm pretty much a "run head first into a wall" kind of guy so do what I say, now what I do ;-)

Oh and if you can't rest, then I second the comment on the active recovery. Maybe take the day off of racing and instead get some easy pool time in or something...might give you the best of both worlds if you have the self control to train without going all out.

Let us know how it turns out and what you decide to do!

--Chris
2008-05-02 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1378342

User image

Champion
so here is what i am thinking.

i am pretty sure this is a sleep thing, since i am WAY under my normal monthly totals.

i am going to make sure i eat enough today, and just got for a 20 min run tomorrow. the race is not till sunday, which means i will have two more nights sleep and another full day off for a total of 3 leading into it. TTT is a training weekend, as i am racing with a younger/slower friend.

the shorter races right now are my main focus, and i need one or two more by the end of may to keep people happy (this weekend and tri for joe).

my legs feel fine, i just am very tired.

if i get to the race and dont feel well, i'll back out. i am going to be there with a few people from school anyway.

i think that is the best plan
2008-05-02 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1378307

User image

Champion
were the shoes picked out for you, or did they just come with the package deal? i say this because you need to make sure you are running in the right shoes for your body.

if they are right, then i would deff train in the heavy pair and save the lighter ones for faster workouts/races. you will go faster, and feel faster on race day that way.

that being said i do all of my training/racing right now in lightweight trainers/flats.

once i start ramping up the run milage for longer races i'll be back to doing the longer runs in heavier trainers.
2008-05-02 3:06 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-05-02 2:28 PM

Forgot about my question.

I qualified for Ulta-Fits Mizuno Power package.  I picked up my shoes last night and paid an extra $35 for an upgrade.  How good are the shoes?  The seem a lot heaier than my current shoes, "Solyte" or something like that.  How much does lighter shoes matter.  It feels nicer having the low weight on my feet.  Would it make sense to race in the lighter shoes, and train in the Mizuno's? 

No clue on Mizuno... I am a Brooks man myself.

I don't have the cash to justify training shoes v. racing shoes. I use the same ones all the time... Track my mileage and replace as needed

2008-05-02 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1378602

User image

Champion
same here, i have one pair of shows, acics speedstars. love them, very soft and thin, one step away from a flat, and one of the best shoes i have ever run in.
2008-05-02 5:09 PM
in reply to: #1378427

User image

Fishers, IN
The early morning heart rate can often tell the story. I had a period once where my training had been going really well, I was tapering for the Houston marathon so I was reducing the load, but there was a lot of work stress and little sleep. I think the outside influences are often the things that can push you over the edge. It took 6-8 weeks to get my resting HR back to normal. Just be careful, load up on sleep if you can now that finals are over. Racing - hard call, it's probably best to not but I am a head into the wall kind of person also.
2008-05-02 5:17 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
That's what I do. I generally train in Mizunos and switch to my flats for races. Not certain that it helps, but if nothing else mentally I feel lighter.
2008-05-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1378890

User image

Champion
there is a diff between them, just make sure you should be running in flats (not saying you shoulding, i just see a ton of people use them that really should be running more and in more solid shoes).
2008-05-02 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Ok, let me get all this right:

1) David; Fleet Feet had a little honey put me in the correct shoes.  She watched me on the treadmill, and after she regained her composure she stated that I run more on the insides of my feet and said I need the "xxxx" pair (can't think of the name).  The she told me she was out of them and I didn't care and upgraded to the $130 pair that she said was "right" for me.  I ran in them tonight.  Did a good run.  The felt very stange though at first.  I was like running in clogs, but I got used to them in about 1.5 miles.  They are definitely heavy.  The are "Wave Creation 9" as seen here:

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/allproduct/a606bc98841ac2ef852573ca006a8b94?opendocument&div=running&cat=mensfootwear

2) Unless I hear differently.  I think I'll train in them, and once I wear out my race shoes, I'll have two training pairs and I'll buy the shoes you guys are talking about.

2008-05-03 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Well so who is racing this weekend???  I know that David you are supposed to if you are feelng better. Sooo....if you indeed go, have a great time and good luck.  And to anyone else much luck to you too

Well I have to go run for a while now.....in the rain....oh well I'll be good to go if it rains the days of TTT, this year has been one rainy day after another. Can you tell I'm stalling. Well gonna go now.

Chris

2008-05-03 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1379586

User image

Fishers, IN
Ran the Indy min (half) marathon today. I was happy with the effort but look forward to getting back to training now that the Boston/Mini are over. My time was reasonable for me, 1:28:16. Still have run a marathon at a faster pace, but I gave it my all and battled through the temptations to slow down or quit. All my mile splits (6:40's) were within 5 seconds of one another except the last one which was 6:20. My lactate threshold needs some work. Saw a lot of my running cronies afterwards. Thats what its all about, lots of friends made through sweat. All and all it was a great day.

Hope everyone else has a great day too. Look forward to more race reports.
2008-05-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1379635

User image

Champion
great race! remember its still early in the season, plenty of time to work on the thigns that need it.

chris,

i think i am going to race tomorrow, i feel good now, and will have today off as well.

good luck out there to everyone else going!
2008-05-03 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

David, glad to hear you are feeling better. Have a great race. See ya at TTT in a few weeks...can it only be a few weeks away. OMG!!!

Chris

2008-05-03 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I got my race packet... I'm number 32 if you are interested in saying hi. Since my wife is a grad student at OSU we are trying to park close enough in a student lot and sneak out after the race. Should be good time.

2008-05-03 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1379946

User image

Champion
sounds good, i should be starting in line right around you, for some reason i am not showing up on the list, but i'll sort that out in the morning.

i think i submitted 6 min for my swim or something right around there.

i just got the race wheels on the bike and took it for a spin, legs feel great aside from the swim and a few of the guys showing up tomorrow (Jun, Myers, Bates) it should be a good race

i'll be in the flaming shorts (black ones this time i think).

see you guys out there!

2008-05-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1379946

User image

Champion
great job to everyone out there today.

i ended up racing and was indeed in need of some sleep. my legs felt fine, i was just tired and could not really push any harder. i have a good two weeks before my next race so things should be good, lots of easy miles this week and then back to harder stuff next.

i'll have a race report up as soon as i see some times, gonna be a slow one this time around!
2008-05-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1380532

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
newbz - 2008-05-04 11:15 AM

great job to everyone out there today.

i ended up racing and was indeed in need of some sleep. my legs felt fine, i was just tired and could not really push any harder. i have a good two weeks before my next race so things should be good, lots of easy miles this week and then back to harder stuff next.

i'll have a race report up as soon as i see some times, gonna be a slow one this time around!

It was great meeting you. I just felt off on the swim and just could not find my rhythm at all. I had a fun race but definately need to commit myself to the swim and keep making progress on the bike and run.

My wife was funny... "You know your new mentor, He's really fast!"... I couldn't help myself from laughing.
2008-05-04 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1380539

User image

Champion
hahaha. for some reason when i met you i thought you were still in school there.
2008-05-04 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1376590

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Greg, thanks for the support.  Chris, how'd the marathon go?

Well, I just got back.  Smith Mountain Lake is a great venue!  The official results are not up yet so I don't know what my splits are but my prelim. was 1:31:59.  Fastest time was 1:01:08. 

The swim was tough for me.  The water was definitely cold and I have now learned that I need to acclimate to colder water prior to the start.  I went in completely dry and lost my breath upon getting in the water.  I never really felt cold but it had an obvious effect and I was never able to develop a rhythm.  I did a lot of breast stroke and a lot of sighting because I could not see out of my goggles hardly at all.

I think that the only split I hit well was the bike.  I had a great time on the bike aside from some minor tightness which I was able to stretch out on a couple of the descents.  From rack to rack I showed just under 40 minutes so my split should be right around 39 which is right where I trained.  

My run was SLOW for me.  Last Sunday I did a 6k in 27:28 (7:18/mi) and I'm not sure I finished this run any faster than 28 min.  I was baby-stepping through the first mile and I'm not sure why I didn't push myself until the last 1/2 mile.  I was able to finish in a full sprint so I know there was plenty there.  I'm still getting used to "racing" and I think I was having some inner conflict on whether to push or do what 's comfortable.  I guess the rec-league attitude is still a little too prevalant in my mind.

So, I have a lot work to do on the swim.  I'm looking forward to getting some tips on open water swimming from anyone and everyone. 

2008-05-04 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1380558

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
newbz - 2008-05-04 11:47 AM

hahaha. for some reason when i met you i thought you were still in school there.

What does that mean I look immature or just young for my age??? I wonder what volumes it speaks since my wife told me that you did a cannon ball into the pool to start off the swim??

No really... I get that all the time. If I don't get carded at a bar everytime I visit I think it is odd. And you weren't far off... My wife is in the graduate program for Education and I am thinking about applying for my MBA next year.
2008-05-04 3:53 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job Scott. Since you said it is your first race I don't know if it your first tri or was it your first of the season... Either way... Welcome back to world of triathlon!!

Do you think pushing on the ride limited your ability to perform on the run? Or, did you just not have enough in the endurance tank after the combination of the swim and run?

OWS is a unque event. There is nothing like the mass of hummanity at the start, the whirlpool as it is so aptly nammed but at the same time there is nothing like truly finding your rhythm and not have to worry about the next time you hit the wall, and questioning what lap you are on. I sight every 6th stroke... or 3rd breath. Long enough to not mess up a rhythm but short enough that you can't get too far of course. Comfortability in the water is key. You may get pulled by the ankle, you may get kicked... but you MUST be able to deal with it. If you can just remain calm... keep your own pace... and keep your breath... you have won half the battle.

Edited by JChristoff 2008-05-04 3:54 PM
2008-05-04 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1380770

User image

Champion
i just saw some splits and got a quick RR up, not too bad considering!

i want to know what the actual swim was though, not the swim+run to transition!

great job today guys!
2008-05-04 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1380770

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

JChristoff - 2008-05-04 4:53 PM Great job Scott. Since you said it is your first race I don't know if it your first tri or was it your first of the season... Either way... Welcome back to world of triathlon!! Do you think pushing on the ride limited your ability to perform on the run? Or, did you just not have enough in the endurance tank after the combination of the swim and run? OWS is a unque event. There is nothing like the mass of hummanity at the start, the whirlpool as it is so aptly nammed but at the same time there is nothing like truly finding your rhythm and not have to worry about the next time you hit the wall, and questioning what lap you are on. I sight every 6th stroke... or 3rd breath. Long enough to not mess up a rhythm but short enough that you can't get too far of course. Comfortability in the water is key. You may get pulled by the ankle, you may get kicked... but you MUST be able to deal with it. If you can just remain calm... keep your own pace... and keep your breath... you have won half the battle.

Thanks!  It was my first of the season but it's also only my second ever.  

I really think I had enough to push my ride and run a little harder.  I remember thinking to myself within the first 1/8 mile of the run... "you're going pretty slow but it's comfortable so stay there for a little bit and get your legs."  I just never pushed myself past that point until the very end.  To me, that's just something I need to work on... emptying the tank during a race.  I definitely had some left and I recovered pretty quickly afterwards.

I need to work some more OWS's into my training.  I'm not sure how I'm going to do that yet though.  I think I will first work on sighting every third breath and see how that goes.  I also had a problem with my goggles fogging immediately so I have to figure that out as well.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z group is FULL!!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 25