Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-05-02 2:30 AM
in reply to: #1373840

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - Open

ARDENT - 2008-04-30 6:47 PM Hey, everyone! Happy to report that the bike skills are improving: able to take a drink from water bottle while pedaling. Was distracted thinking about how great it would to to share the news with y'all when I missed the cage and dropped the bottle in the road. More humble pie for post work-out! -Arden Do your bikes have names? I haven't named mine, and to tell you the truth I'm not sure if it's a "he" or a "she."

Arden,

I haven't named my bicycle.  I ride a motorcycle and my motorcycle has a name, it's Olivia.  She's a beautiful 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic in Indigo Blue.  My husband has a 1989 BMW K100 and it's named Bertha.  It has something to do with some Grateful Dead song, which I'm not familiar with.  Anyway, it never occurred to me to name my bicycle.  My bike is green so I would probably give it a guy name.  Charlie just came too mind.  Hmmm, I'll have to see if it sticks.  :-)

Lisa

2008-05-02 2:41 AM
in reply to: #1356403

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - CLOSED!

Jenny,

I'll take another look at the TI website because I definitely need to improve my swim and if I can't get lessons maybe this will help.  I have heard a lot of people say good things about it.

Carol,

I saw the 0 to 1650 program too and thought, WOW, I can do that.  I was fully intending to do the program, but using the backstroke.  And then all of sudden it occurred to me that you are supposed to do the distances swimming freestyle, with your face in the water.  And I thought Holy Cr@p, I can only swim about 25-50 yards freestyle before I need to rest and catch my breath.  LOL.  I am not nervous about the swim portion of the tri at all.  I can do the distance backstroke in about 15-20 minutes.  It just seems dorky with a greater possibility of going off course and more stops to check my heading.  So, if possible, I'd like to learn to swim normally but I still fully expect at some point, I'll be too winded and have to switch to backstroke.  That's OK, I just want to do the best I can.

Lisa 

2008-05-02 5:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Lisa,

I took a TI workshop about 2 weeks ago and learned a lot! I am swimming with less effort, very smoothly (i think, ), and for a further distance than i was able to a few weeks ago. I still struggle a bit with breathing because they don't really spend anytime on that but I did recieve some help. Also look on there discussion forum for tips on breathing because a lot of people have this issue.

The only thing about TI, it is that it is very tedious work with the drills. You really have to have patience for this method. I drilled for weeks and then went to a workshop and then drilled for another 8 hours there!! My issue was, i needed to start SWIMMING to get ready for May 18. So now i drill some and then go to whole stroke. They recommend you drill for like 4-6 months, and I mean mostly drill, little swimming. I got the dvds too and drill cards to keep with me at the pool but the workshop really puts it together. Plus they have now changed some things from the dvds versus the workshop.

lesley
2008-05-02 6:14 AM
in reply to: #1376818

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
starrlinda - 2008-05-01 8:56 PM

I think the weather for Sunday is just clouds and a "chance" of showers.....so, you can probably run Broad Street.  It was almost exactly the same weather last Sunday and the weather was perfect for the 1/2 marathon. I am also planning to just run and not race.  It is so crowded in this race that it is hard to really race it. Besides, I am happy with last weeks results, so I can just have fun with this one!  I live in Horsham. 

I'll run as long as it's not pouring rain... I think it'll be fine, too.

Hey, many, many, years ago I worked at a place called College Settlement Camp in Horsham - on Witmer Road -- ever heard of it?
2008-05-02 6:27 AM
in reply to: #1377054

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
lmscozz - 2008-05-01 11:03 PM
I have a sprint on Sunday. This will make events 3 Sundays in a row and I'm getting pumped up for it, but will be glad for a break in events for a month after this.

Good luck with your race this weekend!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

A lot of you have lost some lbs, too! I lost 30 in 2001 with Weight Watchers and my biggest thing was to stay the same weight over time -- so 7 years later I'm still down that 30. I even work for WW part time now just 2 days per week. It's great to see people reach their goals and watch them bloom!

That's awesome! I also lost about 30 # (could still stand to loose maybe 5 more, but I actually feel pretty good at my current weight, and if the last 5 doesn't come off, I can live with it). Maintaining the loss for 7 years is fantastic! Way to go!

I have an injury question, Jenny (or anyone else) and I may post it on the injury thread as well. My calf (mostly my right) soleus muscle gets really sore and tight and almost knotted after I've run about 3 to 4 miles.

Sorry, can't help ya with that one... I think you'd better ask the experts...
2008-05-02 6:33 AM
in reply to: #1377086

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
kt_grl11 - 2008-05-01 11:25 PM

So I broke down and bought a membership to the local rec center (for access to the pool), so now I can start swimming. I am also not the greatest swimmer in the world, and there is no masters swim club where i live that i know of? I read suggestions (above) for books on swimming? Someone may have already asked this, but are there any good DVD series on swimming technique (i'm pretty terrible about getting around to reading books, they sit on my table for months). Also, what would be a fairly acceptable lap time for a 25 yard pool (1 full lap= 50yards)?

Along the same lines, i'm considering doing a local sprint triathlon in may. But I know the lake is gonna be cold (probably 50% chance that its cold enough to use a wet suit). Anyways, i'm not really feeling like forking out the money for a wet-suit right now.. and thus am wondering if there are any alternatives (that may be a little warmer). I know that they make thermal rash guards (for surfing), assuming temp is low enough are these allowed for the swim portion?

yay for getting into the pool!

You could consider renting a wetsuit for your tri, google triathlon wetsuit rental, and you'll find lots of options. How long will your swim be, and what do expect the water temps to be? You might be fine without a wetsuit at all...

2008-05-02 7:40 AM

Twylite,
You had me laughing for I thought of myself. I hate wearing those bike shorts. I am not a big person but my spandex days have long past! My 16 year old daughter saw me in them for the first time and said uh take them off there to tight. Yep from the mouth of babes they still tell you the truth at 16 for at least any kind of fashion advice. I have yet wore them out of the house yet . I will soon have to suck it up and get in them for some of my longer rides!
2008-05-02 9:27 AM

New user

Swam my second swim of the year last night...a 40 minuter. Endurance felt better than the first swim so that's good. But man, was I tired when I got home. I suppose it didn't help that I also ran before the swim. So I went to bed early.

Question, I have a swim cap, but water gets in my swim cap. Is my swim cap too big? Do I not have it on right?

2008-05-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1377150

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
TeamWin75 - 2008-05-02 3:41 AM

Jenny,

I'll take another look at the TI website because I definitely need to improve my swim and if I can't get lessons maybe this will help.  I have heard a lot of people say good things about it.

Carol,

I saw the 0 to 1650 program too and thought, WOW, I can do that.  I was fully intending to do the program, but using the backstroke.  And then all of sudden it occurred to me that you are supposed to do the distances swimming freestyle, with your face in the water.  And I thought Holy Cr@p, I can only swim about 25-50 yards freestyle before I need to rest and catch my breath.  LOL.  I am not nervous about the swim portion of the tri at all.  I can do the distance backstroke in about 15-20 minutes.  It just seems dorky with a greater possibility of going off course and more stops to check my heading.  So, if possible, I'd like to learn to swim normally but I still fully expect at some point, I'll be too winded and have to switch to backstroke.  That's OK, I just want to do the best I can.

Lisa 

I have a friend who swims backstroke when she gets anxious in the OWS.  It was much easier to find her last summer during her tri in Chicago!!!

2008-05-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1377187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
jsnowash - 2008-05-02 7:14 AM

I'll run as long as it's not pouring rain... I think it'll be fine, too. Hey, many, many, years ago I worked at a place called College Settlement Camp in Horsham - on Witmer Road -- ever heard of it?

I know exactly where the College Settlement Camp is located.  My son's elementary school went there for a fifth grade field trip for two nights.  He loved it!

Edited by starrlinda 2008-05-02 12:31 PM
2008-05-02 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1377301

User image

Master
Vista, CA
tri4mom - 2008-05-02 5:40 AM

Twylite,
You had me laughing for I thought of myself. I hate wearing those bike shorts. I am not a big person but my spandex days have long past! My 16 year old daughter saw me in them for the first time and said uh take them off there to tight. Yep from the mouth of babes they still tell you the truth at 16 for at least any kind of fashion advice. I have yet wore them out of the house yet . I will soon have to suck it up and get in them for some of my longer rides!

I hear ya on the bike shorts. I think my legs look a bit like sausages in them. But I put shorts over my bike shorts for the run on my first tri. It didn't slow me down much, but I probably won't do that this time. There are so many shapes and sizes out there and everyone's into their own thing so I'm not going to worry about the butt so much. Plus, when I saw pictures, I didn't look so bad.

You could always put the shorts on after the run for the photos!
thanks for the well-wishes Jenny. Good luck to you and whoever else is up there for the Broad Street run. Hope the wx holds out for you.

I'm off to swim a bit and then will take tomorrow off -- will be watching my son's track meet. All day event.

~Lynn

2008-05-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1378108

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
starrlinda - 2008-05-02 12:30 PM

jsnowash - 2008-05-02 7:14 AM

I'll run as long as it's not pouring rain... I think it'll be fine, too. Hey, many, many, years ago I worked at a place called College Settlement Camp in Horsham - on Witmer Road -- ever heard of it?

I know exactly where the College Settlement Camp is located.  My son's elementary school went there for a fifth grade field trip for two nights.  He loved it!

Ha! That's what I did all those years ago... ushered around all those school groups that came on their 5th & 6th grade overnight field trips! Good times...
2008-05-02 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1374261

Between my 1st & 2nd season of triathlon, I purchased one of the TI "bundles". I got the "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" book, and "Freestyle Made Easy" DVD and drill cards.

Drill cards? They make "drill cards?" Here I've been typing out notes, pasting them to index cards, and running over to Fed Ex and having them laminated!

The biggest improvement for me using TI is being more comfortable breathing bilaterally. It emphasizes the Zen of swimming, of which I have plenty; what I really need is more Yin/Yang.
-Arden
2008-05-02 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1377148

TeamWin75 - 2008-05-02 2:30 AM

a "she."

Arden,

I haven't named my bicycle.  I ride a motorcycle and my motorcycle has a name, it's Olivia.  She's a beautiful 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic in Indigo Blue.  My husband has a 1989 BMW K100 and it's named Bertha.  It has something to do with some Grateful Dead song, which I'm not familiar with.  Anyway, it never occurred to me to name my bicycle.  My bike is green so I would probably give it a guy name.  Charlie just came too mind.  Hmmm, I'll have to see if it sticks.  :-)

Lisa

Let me know how "Charlie" works out. The naming of bicycles IMHO is more difficult than the naming of cats, no offense to T.S. Elliot!
-Arden

2008-05-02 10:19 PM
in reply to: #1379218

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ARDENT - 2008-05-02 7:30 PM

Between my 1st & 2nd season of triathlon, I purchased one of the TI "bundles". I got the "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" book, and "Freestyle Made Easy" DVD and drill cards.

Drill cards? They make "drill cards?" Here I've been typing out notes, pasting them to index cards, and running over to Fed Ex and having them laminated!

FYI -- I write or type out my swim workouts and then put them in a ziplock bag and put it next to my zoomers by the side of the pool. Also saw a guy had taped his workout to his gatorade bottle so he could see it without lifting up out of the pool or lifting the workout sheet.
Which TI DVD would you recommend? I've been doing some of the drills I've learned second hand and I read the book, but a DVD would be much better, I'm sure.

~Lynn
2008-05-03 1:21 AM
in reply to: #1377172

User image

Veteran
Penn Valley,

lesleyann - 2008-05-02 3:22 AM Lisa, I took a TI workshop about 2 weeks ago and learned a lot! I am swimming with less effort, very smoothly (i think, ), and for a further distance than i was able to a few weeks ago. I still struggle a bit with breathing because they don't really spend anytime on that but I did recieve some help. Also look on there discussion forum for tips on breathing because a lot of people have this issue. The only thing about TI, it is that it is very tedious work with the drills. You really have to have patience for this method. I drilled for weeks and then went to a workshop and then drilled for another 8 hours there!! My issue was, i needed to start SWIMMING to get ready for May 18. So now i drill some and then go to whole stroke. They recommend you drill for like 4-6 months, and I mean mostly drill, little swimming. I got the dvds too and drill cards to keep with me at the pool but the workshop really puts it together. Plus they have now changed some things from the dvds versus the workshop. lesley

Lesley,

Like you, I don't have 4-6 months just to do drills.  My first race is June 15th.  But, I will definitely look into getting the program to incorporate it to keep improving.  It's good to hear positive feedback from people who actually bought and use it.

Thanks. 

2008-05-03 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1379218

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ARDENT - 2008-05-02 9:30 PM

The biggest improvement for me using TI is being more comfortable breathing bilaterally. It emphasizes the Zen of swimming, of which I have plenty; what I really need is more Yin/Yang.
-Arden

Yep - the drill cards are pretty nice. Printed on some kind of plasticized waterproof paper and on a handly little flip ring. Here's what they look like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1931009104/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-lin...

(but your index cards are undoubtedly a cheaper alternative!)
2008-05-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1379318

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
lmscozz - 2008-05-02 10:19 PM

ARDENT - 2008-05-02 7:30 PM

FYI -- I write or type out my swim workouts and then put them in a ziplock bag and put it next to my zoomers by the side of the pool. Also saw a guy had taped his workout to his gatorade bottle so he could see it without lifting up out of the pool or lifting the workout sheet.
Which TI DVD would you recommend? I've been doing some of the drills I've learned second hand and I read the book, but a DVD would be much better, I'm sure.

~Lynn

I had the "Freestyle Made Easy" DVD. It basically shows you all of the drills described in the book. I found it very helpful - I had a hard time picturing exactly what the drills were supposed to look like from the description in the book, but the DVD makes it very clear.
2008-05-03 1:14 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - GOOD LUCK RACERS!
Hey, I just wanted to wish a big GOOD LUCK to everyone who's racing this weekend:

Lynn doing the Spring Sprint Triathon in San Diego
Linda & Jenny (yes - that's me) doing the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia

Hope I didn't miss anybody! Have a great race day, ladies, and let us know how it goes!!

Edited by jsnowash 2008-05-03 1:15 PM
2008-05-03 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA

Happy racing and training to all this weekend!

I just wanted you all to know that I took the giant leap with the bike.  I bought a helmet today.  The fellow at the bike shop was very patient with me and didn't laugh when I told him I hadn't ridden a bike in many, many years!  My son was also very patient riding with me on a trail next to our house. It was quite windy, which added more challenge for me.  I played around with the gears a bit...my son kept telling me it didn't sound very good. I just hope I didn't break anything!

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!

See you on Broad Street, Jenny....run like the wind!

2008-05-03 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

Sorry this has taken so long, work has been a bear lately. 

Here goes for a little about me:

Name: Shelley

Story: I'm 46 and was never been anywhere close to athletic until I was about 40 and started playing softball with a group from work.  I have been "working out" regularly (this time) for about 2 years.  Last year, I wanted to start running so I could work out without being tied to the gym.  I wasn't getting very far with it when a friend in spin class suggested I ride the 10 mile family ride on a local organized bike ride.  I really got hooked with bike riding and bought a road bike in April, 2007.  Continuing with spin class, I meet a very fit lady close to my age who was training for a local tri sprint.  She got me interested in the possibility so I started trying to run again.

Today, I have ridden 4 metric centuries, ran 2 5k's, 2 half marathons and 1 sprint triathalon.

Family status: Married with 1 child (grown) and 1 grandchild and 1 pretty demanding job.

Current training: I am really spending time trying to get better with my swimming.  I have a pretty rounded base building schedule where I can complete (not compete) most small events.  I have not mapped anything out yet, but I would like to start training for an olympic distance tri before the end of this season. 2008 races: The only thing I have planned currently is a duathlon in June.  I will ride several 50 - 62 mile bike tours this spring and fall.  As I said before, I will probably plan on an olympic tri at some point.  This hinges on how well I progress with my swimming.

Weight loss: I've lost about 50 pounds over the last 6 years.  I would really like to loose another 10 but will be ok if I don't.  I really want to be able to maintain without having to eat salads the rest of my life.

Edited by pole_dancer 2008-05-03 9:50 PM

2008-05-03 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
I had to go to the LBS today to get a new front tire.  Even though I missed a real nice ride to open a new greenway, I got to spend the day with some friends who also needed to go to the LBS.  They had a really sweet tri bike (Specialized) there.  My friend Linda kept encouraging me to take it for a ride, but I was not really dressed for it.  We left and  Linda suggested we go to the local tri store.  I was commenting that I could not understand the need for such a difference in the geometry than that of a road bike.  Linda got a very knowledgable salesman to take some time to explain everything we needed to know about why a tri bike is better than a road bike.  He went as far as to explain slow twitch and fast twitch muscles and how they are affected by the different geometry.  I have been to this store a 1/2 dozen times and had not had anyone take this much time with me.  When I get to the point where a need for additional time savings warrents me buying a tri bike, I may need to let this guy sell it to me.
2008-05-03 10:06 PM

New user

Just went for my first bike ride on my bike in 2+ years (this week -- week 1 of training -- so far I've just biked at the gym). Pretty good! I'm a little nervous about my speed though -- went for 4.27 miles, took 18:33, so a speed of 13.8 mph. This wasn't as fast as I could possibly go, but it wasn't leisurely either. Does this mean a 40k bike is going to take me almost 2 hours? Am I going to be ridiculously slow on my hybrid bike compare to all the road bikes and tri bikes? The bike I have is a Trek 7200 Hybrid. It's about 4 years old.

Here's the bike: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/7000_series/720... (but a women's version and a couple years older)

2008-05-04 4:42 AM
in reply to: #1380264

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
esnackpack - 2008-05-03 10:06 PM

Just went for my first bike ride on my bike in 2+ years (this week -- week 1 of training -- so far I've just biked at the gym). Pretty good! I'm a little nervous about my speed though -- went for 4.27 miles, took 18:33, so a speed of 13.8 mph. This wasn't as fast as I could possibly go, but it wasn't leisurely either. Does this mean a 40k bike is going to take me almost 2 hours? Am I going to be ridiculously slow on my hybrid bike compare to all the road bikes and tri bikes? The bike I have is a Trek 7200 Hybrid. It's about 4 years old.

Here's the bike: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/7000_series/720... (but a women's version and a couple years older)

Erin,

First of all, you haven't been on a bike for 2 years! You shouldn't expect to go out for your first ride in that long and be zooming along at 20 mph! 13.8 mph is pretty good for just starting back! But... generally, a hybrid bike will be slower than a road or tri bike. The gearing and geometry are quite a bit different. Plus you tend to sit pretty upright on a hybrid bike, so pretty much no aerodynamic benefit... There are a couple things you can do down the road if you want to get a little more speed out of your current bike: 1) If your bike has the knobby tires that are sometimes found on a hybrid bike, go get some tires that are not knobby ("slicks" in biker lingo...). 2) You could ask your local bike shop to put a different cassette on the rear wheel (that's the gear sprocket on the wheel) to give you better gearing. Those changes will help a bit. They probably won't get you up to the speed you could get to on a road (or tri) bike, but they might get you a little closer.
2008-05-04 4:46 AM
in reply to: #1380177

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
starrlinda - 2008-05-03 8:30 PM

Happy racing and training to all this weekend!

I just wanted you all to know that I took the giant leap with the bike.  I bought a helmet today.  The fellow at the bike shop was very patient with me and didn't laugh when I told him I hadn't ridden a bike in many, many years!  My son was also very patient riding with me on a trail next to our house. It was quite windy, which added more challenge for me.  I played around with the gears a bit...my son kept telling me it didn't sound very good. I just hope I didn't break anything!

Way to go, Linda! Maybe your bike's drive train (chain, gears) just need to be cleaned and lubed. Shifting can sound pretty awful if the chain is rusty, dirty, or just needs a new coat of chain lube.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone!

See you on Broad Street, Jenny....run like the wind!

Thanks! I'll be the one in black shorts and a green shirt. Think you can spot me? LOL!

Edited by jsnowash 2008-05-04 4:47 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jnowash's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 15