BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-12-18 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2556934

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
Working in bilateral breathing into your swim is great, it can serve so many different purposes. It can be considered a drill as it will help you even out your stroke by helping you make sure you are rotating on both sides. It is also just a good skill to have for OWS as you can just switch to breathing on the other side to sight and see where people are in the water to you.

But what I think is the best use for bilateral breathing for a beginner swimmer is helping you get comfortable in the water. Work in some bilateral breathing into your swims. Just do a straight 500(or whatever) breathing on every 3rd,5th,3rd,5th,3rd stroke by 100. You'll be holding your breath a bit on those 5s, but just focus on staying relaxed and taking efficient breathes on each side. It will be horribly awkward at first and you will be drinking plenty of pool water, but keep with it. After a week of working on it I bet you'll be pretty good.

2009-12-18 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2566409

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
junthank - 2009-12-18 8:40 AM
I don't know how our mentors feel about this (?) but one thing that helped me a great deal when I was starting with my running was implementing the Run/Walk protocol.

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/running/run_walk_mcgee

This helped me a deal with my run endurance and overall pace believe it or not.  I'll defer to our mentors on the subject.

I don't like a planned run/walk plan, say a 5:1 run:walk ratio. I say it has potential to create bad habits and make it easier to weenie out in a race and start walking. The problem is people usually have a race goal that they want to do and the distance is more than what their running fitness is ready for. So logically a run to walk ratio plan is the best option in that case. However the REAL best plan is to not sign up for that race and stick to running, even if it's only 1-2 miles at a time for several weeks. Walk if you have to, but I really don't recommend a set walk ratio. Have patience when selecting your races, they will all come in time. Think in years when you think about this sport and developing your speed/endurance. Because that's what it takes.

Not that there aren't people out there that the planned walks in their runs didn't work for them. It's just not the best option when trying to gain fitness. If your goal is to get up to a certain distance to complete a half marathon, or something similiar, then sure go for it. If your goal is to build your fitness , then stick to running and build it up slowly.
2009-12-18 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2566480

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal and Smilford's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
smilford - 2009-12-18 9:57 AM
junthank - 2009-12-18 8:40 AM I don't know how our mentors feel about this (?) but one thing that helped me a great deal when I was starting with my running was implementing the Run/Walk protocol.

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/running/run_walk_mcgee

This helped me a deal with my run endurance and overall pace believe it or not.  I'll defer to our mentors on the subject.
I don't like a planned run/walk plan, say a 5:1 run:walk ratio. I say it has potential to create bad habits and make it easier to weenie out in a race and start walking. The problem is people usually have a race goal that they want to do and the distance is more than what their running fitness is ready for. So logically a run to walk ratio plan is the best option in that case. However the REAL best plan is to not sign up for that race and stick to running, even if it's only 1-2 miles at a time for several weeks. Walk if you have to, but I really don't recommend a set walk ratio. Have patience when selecting your races, they will all come in time. Think in years when you think about this sport and developing your speed/endurance. Because that's what it takes. Not that there aren't people out there that the planned walks in their runs didn't work for them. It's just not the best option when trying to gain fitness. If your goal is to get up to a certain distance to complete a half marathon, or something similiar, then sure go for it. If your goal is to build your fitness , then stick to running and build it up slowly.

hmmmm - i think it's different if you're just starting. All of the beginner run programs i've seen including the couch to 5k begin with some run/walk combination.  The local running specialty store near to me uses a progressive set to get people to the point where they can run for twenty minutes over ten weeks.  It's probably more of a mental hurdle than a physical one but is really effective for those who use it.  And they use a 5k race not as a race but to prove that the distance can be covered.
2009-12-18 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2566787

User image

Master
Houston, TX
juniperjen - 2009-12-18 10:27 AM
hmmmm - i think it's different if you're just starting. All of the beginner run programs i've seen including the couch to 5k begin with some run/walk combination.  The local running specialty store near to me uses a progressive set to get people to the point where they can run for twenty minutes over ten weeks.  It's probably more of a mental hurdle than a physical one but is really effective for those who use it.  And they use a 5k race not as a race but to prove that the distance can be covered.

I started from zero my self, and I certainly had to walk on lots of runs. You're going to walk, it's probably impossible to get around that. I just don't agree with using a set ratio or planning on walking at all. It's going to happen, but lets not plan on it, lets not make it OK.

Example:
You go out for your first run and you make it .5 miles before you need to stop and walk. You walk for a minute before you feel like you're able to run again. This time you make it .3 miles before you feel the need to stop. You walk for a minute and then run again making it a little less further than the last time. That's pretty common for a first run. The next time out you make it .75 before you feel the need to walk and so on. Before long you're going 2 miles without having to walk, and at that point just cut out the walks all together.

I won't argue that it works, because I know it does. I just think one way makes you mentally stronger than the other. Walk if you have to, but don't plan on walking. Just make sure that not walking is the goal. If you keep that in mind, all is good. I've seen way too many people stick with a run to walk ratio for years, I just want to avoid that. The mental part is a huge piece of it.

Edited by smilford 2009-12-18 10:46 AM
2009-12-18 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2566144

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED)
smilford - 2009-12-18 7:40 AM What's on tap for everyone today? I set a poor example yesterday of getting out of bed and getting the workouts done(not that I had to really work yesterday either). I fixed that today though.

Just finished a nice run in 30 degree weather.  So much nicer on the HR than the heat and humidity of Southwest Florida!!
2009-12-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2566380

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
jcarmody - 2009-12-18 9:35 AM Junthank - What do you mean by "swimming bilaterally"? 

Yes - What Jen and Stephen said above this post is bilaterally breathing.  It helped me to slow down a bit and relax.  When I started I took a breath every 2 strokes and was huffing and puffing down the lane.  Like Stephen said it took a little while to get used to but after practice I adjusted.

2009-12-18 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Brittany, Stephen & Matt,

I'm away for the holidays and won't be able to swim or bike over the couse of the next couple weeks.  I'm helping to find a gym but I don't know.  So it looks like all I'll be able to do is run.  Just curious as to how you might structure 2 straight weeks of just running?
2009-12-18 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2567376

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Boy do I feel dumb!  I never even heard of bilateral breathing!  I think right now I swim just as you described, "... a breath every 2 strokes and huffing and puffing down the lane..." I have my work cut out for me!

To Do List:

(1) post my training plan
(2) Get a bike Trainer / set it up / use it
(3) Learn how to swim

Sounds easy enough!Wink
2009-12-18 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2567383

User image

Master
Houston, TX
junthank - 2009-12-18 2:11 PM

Brittany, Stephen & Matt,

I'm away for the holidays and won't be able to swim or bike over the couse of the next couple weeks.  I'm helping to find a gym but I don't know.  So it looks like all I'll be able to do is run.  Just curious as to how you might structure 2 straight weeks of just running?

I'll tell you the same thing I always tell my sister when she goes on vacation. Run often, but go by feel. If you're not feeling it one day keep it short and easy. If the next day you're feeling good, go ahead and push it. I find that works well when out of town and schedules are usually pretty spotty at best. Just be sure not to go over board with a huge run week, but a few extra nice and slow easy runs with your regular weekly runs would be good. Maybe even toss in a few harder than normal strength sessions as well.
2009-12-18 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2567400

User image

Master
Houston, TX
jcarmody - 2009-12-18 2:16 PM

Boy do I feel dumb!  I never even heard of bilateral breathing!  I think right now I swim just as you described, "... a breath every 2 strokes and huffing and puffing down the lane..." I have my work cut out for me!

To Do List:

(1) post my training plan
(2) Get a bike Trainer / set it up / use it
(3) Learn how to swim

Sounds easy enough!Wink

Sounds good, now get to it!
2009-12-19 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Ahhh---last weekend before Christmas. So, my whole family--ages 19-56 (and then grandparents in their 70's a couple of days after) are coming TO MY HOUSE! AHHHH. First year to host this stuff. So, what was this morning's workout? Heading to the grocery store and buying enough food to last me a month+ as a single person. WOW...now I have to go finish Christmas shopping.  Hope to beat some of the crowds.

Don't forget, or set your DVR/TiVO for the Ironman World Championship Broadcast at 4:30-6:00 EST TODAY!

2009-12-19 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Oh I am sooo watching the Championship.  I watched it live in October and I can't wait to see what they do with Chrissy's 3 time win!

2009-12-20 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2568749

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
crea0029 - 2009-12-19 2:46 PM

Oh I am sooo watching the Championship.  I watched it live in October and I can't wait to see what they do with Chrissy's 3 time win!

Caught part of it yesterday but we watch it too from the webcast back in October. So awesome!!! I went to the gym to do some weights and i turned  the tv (no sound ) so i could watch.

My fiance has done Muskoka 70.3 (I am thinking about it for next year) for the last two years and Craig Alexander has won it both times.  It was super awesome to watch and know that the Ironman world champion is there too! We saw him at a restaurant at the resort after the race and my friend and i exchanged looks like 'OMG, do you see who that is???' - we were so starstruck it was hilarious!! But we didn't bother him.
2009-12-20 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Good morning team!

Up on a Sunday for my long run. I meet a friend who i met ages ago while training for my second half. We go out, chat, run and grab starbucks afterwards. We must be really annoying to other runs as we seem to casually run by all chatty.  But we both have improved so much over the last 3-4 years and its so great to have company!

I am also hoping to get a swim in today but we have D's brother and his family coming for supper tonight so it may not be in the cards. We'll see. I have to remind myself to not be too hard on myself if i don't get it all in. It's a busy time of year! In January, I can be all focused.

Anyway, better go get changed.
2009-12-20 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I've had a good weekend of training and partying. Hope everyones weekend has gone well too.
2009-12-20 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
The Kona broadcast last night was one of the better ones I've seen them do! Pretty inspiring across the board.  I'm excited to see how Miranda Carfrae does in the future.  She's the one I think may give Chrissie a battle in the future--not this next year, but upcoming--especially if Chrissie has a bad day.

Anyhow, it's been a good weekend for me. Yesterday was windy, but weather was nice and I had a nice fast run that felt good, and then I rode my trainer for the whole Kona broadcast plus 30 minutes...it was a fast hard ride cause I was motivated the whole time!   This morning I ran with two gals from Ft. Hood--we kind of have our own running club, so it's been nice to finally have some folks for long runs in the last part of this year's Ironman training and then going into next year.  They're doing the Austin full marathon in Feb and I'm doing the 1/2 but as part of my HIM training, so I should have some folks to run with as well.  Really helps in the motivation factor.  We then chit chatted over coffee and healthy pancakes! I also gave them a tour of BT and are trying to get them to log onto here and use it.

Otherwise, very productive week for me.

How is everyone looking for the Christmas week? Are you taking time off, have a plan to work things in?  Stephen is throwing me back on a training schedule, so we'll see how that goes!

2009-12-20 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
I really enjoyed the piece about Rudy during the broadcast yesterday. I am so impressed with that young man and his attitude. It was so cool to see him on the course at Arizona and to see that he finally got it done. I can only imagine how big of an inspiration he is to young children facing the same type of circumstances he did when young, but not only that but able bodied people like ourselves. I wish they could do like a 4-5 hours program where they get in to more of the stories about people I think that is the best part of the Ironman. I still watch the John Blaise story about every month. I wrote down all of the sayings of the "Warrior Poet" and have them around the house here and there. If you haven't seen his story get your hands on it somewhere.
2009-12-20 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2569663

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
fly_boy68 - 2009-12-20 10:50 AM I really enjoyed the piece about Rudy during the broadcast yesterday. I am so impressed with that young man and his attitude. It was so cool to see him on the course at Arizona and to see that he finally got it done. I can only imagine how big of an inspiration he is to young children facing the same type of circumstances he did when young, but not only that but able bodied people like ourselves. I wish they could do like a 4-5 hours program where they get in to more of the stories about people I think that is the best part of the Ironman. I still watch the John Blaise story about every month. I wrote down all of the sayings of the "Warrior Poet" and have them around the house here and there. If you haven't seen his story get your hands on it somewhere.

I thought the story about the lady that had a stroke just two years prior was amazing, and the way she captured it was so true--EVERYTHING she does is a victory, the training, getting to the starting line, etc.  I think it's important for all of us, in our different levels of goals, different distances of races to remember that what we are doing is an investment in life, it really is.  This hobby is healthy, yes, you can take it overboard and have it rule and ruin your life, but in a balanced way it truly enhances your life from health, to mental strength, to being able to know that pushing your limits physically can help motivate you to deal with daily life stressors.  There are a lot of positives about triathlon training that contribute to a lifetime of health.  That's one of the things I love about this sport. I want to be that 75 year old woman that looks like a 65 year old woman doing triathlons instead of pushing an oxygen tank.  At IMAZ this year the oldest racer was a guy named Eddie and he was in his 70's.  He was hilarious, and pretty much took the microphone from Mike Reilly...when asked about why he did triathlons, he said "Half my peers are dead, and the other half are in nursing homes and look at all the fun I'm having!" 
2009-12-20 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2569601

User image

Master
Chicago
smilford - 2009-12-20 9:59 AM I've had a good weekend of training and partying. Hope everyones weekend has gone well too.

X2.  Had a bunch of holiday parties this weekend.  Hopefully my 2 hour trainer ride this morning sweated out all the junk from the last 48 hours.  Hope everybody elses training is going well and you all had a great weekend. 
2009-12-20 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I'd rather see more background on the pro's, but I'm probably in the minority for that. I wasn't even planning on watching it, but ended up at a friends place where several of us watched it. So I ended up seeing it. I do agree that it was better than last years.
2009-12-20 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2569713

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
smilford - 2009-12-20 11:40 AM I'd rather see more background on the pro's, but I'm probably in the minority for that. I wasn't even planning on watching it, but ended up at a friends place where several of us watched it. So I ended up seeing it. I do agree that it was better than last years.

I don't really disagree, a little better balance could be had.  I'm not fond of watching people really struggle and fail out there, and too many of the Age Groupers they pick fit in that category, and I know that if I was having the worst day of my life out there, I do NOT want it shown on Nat'l TV!!! I'd prefer human interest stories with happy endings--like the stroke lady vs. the many that didn't make it, were falling apart, etc. 

I will say though, if you watch the online coverage during the race itself in October, it's 100% pro's and you get a lot of the athlete background. 

2009-12-20 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2569729

User image

Master
Houston, TX
TexasMPGal - 2009-12-20 11:53 AM
I will say though, if you watch the online coverage during the race itself in October, it's 100% pro's and you get a lot of the athlete background. 

I do that and it's great. I'm glad they offer that now.
2009-12-20 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2569684

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
mattb1 - 2009-12-20 12:12 PM
smilford - 2009-12-20 9:59 AM I've had a good weekend of training and partying. Hope everyones weekend has gone well too.

X2.  Had a bunch of holiday parties this weekend.  Hopefully my 2 hour trainer ride this morning sweated out all the junk from the last 48 hours.  Hope everybody elses training is going well and you all had a great weekend. 

Snow and being out of own brought a total halt to my training.  Nice to see the snow especially during the holiday season but after 5 years in Floria I think my blood as changed!! 
2009-12-20 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2569654

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
TexasMPGal - 2009-12-20 11:44 AM
How is everyone looking for the Christmas week? Are you taking time off, have a plan to work things in?  Stephen is throwing me back on a training schedule, so we'll see how that goes!

Currently in DC with my oldest son until Wednesday.  Then its off to NYC to meet up with the rest of the family at my sister inlaws.  Then back to DC the Sunday after XMAS for 2 days and then off to Richmond, VA where my oldest daughter lives.  Lots of travel in a short time period.  Was hoping  to run during that entire period but a big snow storm in DC kept me inside Saturday & Sunday.  Did however find a gym for Monday - yes!!!!
2009-12-21 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Morning team!

Another chilly morning without snow! I got a short trainer ride in this morning. I've been following my winter maintenance plan and try to do the shorter of the workouts in the morning (where two are scheduled). I have a long-ish commute (about an hour) and my gym doesn't open until 6:15 so i really only can fit in 45 mins before i am so late to work that i have to stay later than I like. 
I can't believe Christmas is this week - it comes so quickly!  But i should be good for training as i have a cut back sort of week this week. And i'll make my sister take me to her gym for a swim when I go to the hometown later in the week!

How's everyone else? The thread is pretty quiet!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal/Smilford/Mattb1's "Faster and Stronger in 2010" Crew (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 23