General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Revolution3 Triathlon - Quassy 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-05-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3371022

User image

New user

New York
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Triathlon - Quassy 70.3 : Official Thread
After reading all of these posts you guys have got me all nervous for this race ha.  Just started triathlon straight from my couch 1.5 years ago.  Will be my third Half-distance race (New Orleans and Cedar Point), but Quassy is going to be by FAR the most challenging.  Lets be real though, we all do it for the hurt anyways.  Is anyone from NYC looking to possibly share a hotel room or rent a car to get to the event that weekend?  Doesnt look like there is any good trains to take from the city.

2011-05-16 12:48 PM

User image

Did anyone do the Training Ride this Sunday?  If so, how'd it go?
2011-05-22 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3501901

User image

New Haven, CT
Anyone interested in a preride next sunday early - 630 AM wheels up?
2011-05-23 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3512495

User image

jsklarz - 2011-05-22 5:14 PM Anyone interested in a preride next sunday early - 630 AM wheels up?

I would be, but I have to take the ferry over and there is no early ferry on Sunday morning.

2011-05-23 2:38 PM

User image

Not counting today, we've got 12 days and a wake-up!!  How is everyone feeling?? 

I have a new TYR Cat 5 wetsuit I want to try out.  I'd like at least one OPWS between now and Quassy   I've really been focusing on cycling more rolling terrain and hills, so hopefully this year I'll post a better Bike Split than last.  I've also been running more hills, so HOPEFULLY I am better prepared for the hilly Rev3 Run Course.

What about everyone else???
2011-05-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3514295

User image

Veteran

Dream Chaser - 2011-05-23 3:38 PM Not counting today, we've got 12 days and a wake-up!!  How is everyone feeling?? 

I have a new TYR Cat 5 wetsuit I want to try out.  I'd like at least one OPWS between now and Quassy   I've really been focusing on cycling more rolling terrain and hills, so hopefully this year I'll post a better Bike Split than last.  I've also been running more hills, so HOPEFULLY I am better prepared for the hilly Rev3 Run Course.

What about everyone else???

Looking forward to it, though expect it will be very tough. Pacing and nutrition on bike going to be important for me I feel to be able to get through the 1/2 afterwards. Did my first Tri of season last weekend and this weekend coming up will be busy, have a 1.2 mile OWS and Sprint Tri and then a rest week before Quassy. Hope everyone is ready for those hills!

2011-05-25 8:20 AM

User image

The Athlete Schedule has been posted! http://rev3tri.com/quassy/athletes-2/schedule/ 

Hopefully they will post the AG Waves soon. 
2011-05-25 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
From the Athlete Guide:

Half Rev: Time:
Pro Men 6:50am
Pro Women 6:53am
Men 35-39 7:00am
Men 30-34 7:04am
Men 40-44 7:08am
Female 45 and older, Athenas, Aquabike 7:12am
Men 50 and older, Clydesdales 7:16am
Men 0-19, 20-24, 25-29 7:20am
Female 0-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, Relays 7:24am
Female 35-39, 40-44 7:28am
Men 45-49 7:32a
2011-05-26 7:49 AM

User image

Thanks drdking.  I was looking for that  

Hmmm... I'm M35-39.  Never started this early in a 70.3 before -- 3rd wave right after the Pro's.  Close to zero chance of catching anybody in the two waves ahead (unless they crash or blow up entirely) and lots of people from waves behind chasing us.  Should be interesting.
2011-05-26 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3519533

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Dream Chaser - 2011-05-26 7:49 AM Thanks drdking.  I was looking for that  

Hmmm... I'm M35-39.  Never started this early in a 70.3 before -- 3rd wave right after the Pro's.  Close to zero chance of catching anybody in the two waves ahead (unless they crash or blow up entirely) and lots of people from waves behind chasing us.  Should be interesting.

Less crowded bike course is nice! Right behind you at 30-34...please stay to your rightTongue out..j/k.  Just a long training day and some race  atmosphere to get the ring rust worked out.

Am I the only one who hasn't dusted off my wetsuit from last year?

2011-05-26 9:32 AM

User image

Super excited for my first HIM! Just hope the hills don't do me in :-)

2011-05-26 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3519594

User image

acumenjay - 2011-05-26 9:19 AM

Dream Chaser - 2011-05-26 7:49 AM Thanks drdking.  I was looking for that  

Less crowded bike course is nice! Right behind you at 30-34...please stay to your rightTongue out..j/k.  Just a long training day and some race  atmosphere to get the ring rust worked out.

Am I the only one who hasn't dusted off my wetsuit from last year?

Ummm yeah... but your "training rides" are faster then my "tempo/race rides".  I'll make sure and stay right.  Think of something positive and encouraging to say as you motor past. 

I'm scheduled to try out my new wetsuit in a lake swim tomorrow.  
2011-05-26 3:19 PM

User image

Regular
NYC

Wetsuit? I think it is buried somewhere in the back of the closet. I already swim like a brick without the boa constrictor on...

What kind of tires/ tubes are you guys running for this race. DC- last year you rode a slower tire on back. Are you using the same thing this year?

Heading to the pool now to do some HIM pace with sighting drills...

2011-05-26 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3519771

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
rafikichapman - 2011-05-26 10:32 AM

Super excited for my first HIM! Just hope the hills don't do me in :-)

If you can, I would pre-ride the course this weekend.  Its the hilliest HIM course I've ever ridden and its much easier to approach it mentally if you know what's coming.

2011-05-27 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3520829

User image

Veteran
Last weekend before Quassy - what's everyone doing?? The summer seems to have finally arrived here in NYC so I'm looking forward to getting outside in warm weather. I've a gentle ride tomorrow, 1.2 mile OWS swim and short ride after Sunday and I'm supposed to be doing a Sprint on Monday. I'm having second thoughts about the Sprint, might be overdoing it. We'll see how it goes. Next week will be very quiet, as much rest as possible to save the legs for the big one!
2011-05-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3520651

User image

ironwannabe - 2011-05-26 4:19 PM

Wetsuit? I think it is buried somewhere in the back of the closet. I already swim like a brick without the boa constrictor on...

What kind of tires/ tubes are you guys running for this race. DC- last year you rode a slower tire on back. Are you using the same thing this year?

Heading to the pool now to do some HIM pace with sighting drills...

Last year this was a 'training day' for me.  I did not taper at all, and raced a Sprint the weekend before and another HIM the weeked before that.  So I rode a gatorskin on the back cause I wasn't worried about time one bit.  After completing the bike course and seeing around 10 people with flat tires, I was glad I had the gatorskin on.  Oddly I did not see any glass or reasons why there should be so many flats, but there were.  Since I am going to taper and 'Race' the course this year, I am going to take a risk and use my Vittoria EVO open tubulars tires.  They are brand new, maybe have 30 miles on them, and they have not cuts in them.  I know I am taking a risk with them but I'm taking the risk for speed.  If my goal were not speed, and it was just to complete the course or use this as a training day, I would definitely go with a tire made for puncture prevention - like a gatorskin.   

2011-05-27 9:01 AM

User image

I got my first OPWS in this morning.  Forgot what a pain a wetsuit can be on the shoulders.  So nice to be able to swim non-stop and not worry about a wall coming up.  So nice to see the birds flying above me.  Few ducks were hanging out.  Green lush scener.  Sun peeking through the morning mist.  Nature is awesome!
2011-05-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3521584

New user

Good Luck all. See you next weekend in CT! We'll be ready for you.

Eric
Rev3
2011-05-28 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3521584

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey

I agree!!! I had my first open water swim on Friday, loved it but hated my wetsuit. I have a Team in Training wetsuit, which is more of an entry level suit which I feel is the main reason for my shoulder soreness. I have always wondered if I upgraded to a better wetsuit if that would help.

What is everyone doing regarding hydration on the bike? I am debating taking off my xlab behind the seat bottle holder and just going with one bottle on the frame (nutrition) and one bottle between the bars. Will the course be well stocked with water that I don't need to treat my bike like a camel?

2011-05-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3522835

User image

Mcluvin22 - 2011-05-28 9:16 AM

I agree!!! I had my first open water swim on Friday, loved it but hated my wetsuit. I have a Team in Training wetsuit, which is more of an entry level suit which I feel is the main reason for my shoulder soreness. I have always wondered if I upgraded to a better wetsuit if that would help.

What is everyone doing regarding hydration on the bike? I am debating taking off my xlab behind the seat bottle holder and just going with one bottle on the frame (nutrition) and one bottle between the bars. Will the course be well stocked with water that I don't need to treat my bike like a camel?

The Bike course will be well stocked with lots of water and gatorade.  Due to the hills, I will not be starting with more than two bottles.  One bottle worth of gatorade in the aero-drink between the aerobars; one bottle worth of water with carbo-pro in the aero-drink on my bottom tube.  My back two cages will be empty. 
2011-05-30 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3523279

User image

New Haven, CT

Here is my detailed report after my recent pre ride of Rev3.  I am not a strong rider and what I lack in riding fitness I make up for in size (Im a clyde) but I regularly ride these roads so understand these are just my views. 

Turn Right onto Rt. 64 after exiting park

Turn Right onto Tuttle Road 1.5 mi

Straight onto Cat Swamp Road 3.2 mi

Right onto Middle Road Turnpike 4.0 mi

Left onto Quassapaug Road 6.0 mi

Right onto Rt. 6 7.5 mi

Left onto Platt Road 9.3 mi

Straight onto Guernseytown Road 10.6 mi

Right onto Judd Farm Road 12.4 mi

Left onto Rt. 63 13.1 mi

Aid Station #1 at Anderson Rd 15.5mi

The first part of the course is basically the griskus oly course for those who have done that race before.  Personally, I believe it is the hardest part of the course.  You have about 2-3 miles of easy road out of Quassy, then it is rollers punctuated with quick steep climbs and descents.  The climb at the bottom of Guernseytown is tough because the road t’s off and you need to slow considerably before a relatively long steep hill, you than hook out toward Litchfield to the 15 mile aid station.  If you are used to riding in the northeast, this is quintessential new england riding.  

Right onto Rt. 109 16.5 mi

Left onto Rt. 6 22.2 mi

Left onto Rt. 254 22.7 mi

Left onto Center St. 23.3 mi

Left onto Rt. 254 23.4 mi

Aid Station #2 at Jefferson Hill Rd 29.1mi

The ride out of the 15 mile aid station is no issue.  Flat to downhill terrain.  Personally, I plan on skipping the 1st aid station.  Once you turn onto Rt 254 so begins the long trudge to Litchfield center.  The next 10 miles are basically all up hill.  Rt 254 is “the climb” 7-8 miles of steady low grade climbing.  Its not that bad really, the grade is low and a strong rider will chew it up.  Just keep peddling, its not that bad.  Aid station 2 is at the top of the hill, very bucolic view.  You then have a nice long descent

Left onto Rt. 118 30.7 mi

Left onto Chestnut Hill Rd 30.8 mi

Right onto Camp Dutton Road 31.5 mi

Left onto Rt. 63 32.4 mi

Right onto Rt. 61 33.9 mi

Sharp right onto Alain White Rd 35.6 mi

Turnaround at Bissell Road 38.6 mi

Aid Station #3 at Alain White Rd 39.5mi

After a long descent you hit a long steep hill and climb into litchfield center.  Good news: most of the hard climbing is over after this hill, bad new you still have 25 miles to ride J.  You turn onto Rt 63 and head south back toward Middlebury and transition, but first you take a quick jaunt up another hill before coming back down the same hill into aid station 3 (my plan is stop at aid station 2 for bottle swap and skip this station too)

Left onto Rt. 109 41.6 mi

Right onto Benton Rd. 41.8 mi

Bear Right onto Benton Rd/Hard Hill Rd 42.6 mi

Straight onto Nonewaug Rd 47.2 mi

Left onto Rt. 61 47.8 mi

Straight onto Quassapaug Rd 48.6 mi

Right onto Middle Road Turnpike 50.0 mi

Left onto Cat Swamp Rd 52.0 mi

Straight onto Tuttle Rd. 52.9 mi

Left onto Rt. 64 54.5 mi

Left into Park/Transition 56.0 mi

Don’t underestimate the challenge of the last 15 miles.  It is like the first leg rollers with sharp climbs/descents.  The last 6 miles retraces the first part of the route. Now all we have to do is run a HM and we’re done.  This is a challenging course but not totally insane.  Good luck everyone.

2011-05-30 10:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I hope everyone had a good last weekend of training. Try not to go too taper crazy. I'm excited to have a few days with less time devoted to training.

A couple questions about aid stations for you veterans...

- What are the Gatorade bottles on the bike like? Are they Gatorade brand bottles with screw lids or bike bottles? What size are they? By the way, a race rep confirmed for me that it is Gatorade Pro that they're giving out.

- On the run, do they give out bottles or just cups? Gu's have to be taken with water, so if it's just cups, how do you make that work without stopping?

Also, we should get together and say hi at some point, either Saturday or post-race Sunday. I for one will be hitting up the amusement park on Saturday... kids' park or not. ;-)

2011-05-31 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3524384

User image

neweyes - 2011-05-30 11:44 AM

I hope everyone had a good last weekend of training. Try not to go too taper crazy. I'm excited to have a few days with less time devoted to training.

- What are the Gatorade bottles on the bike like? Are they Gatorade brand bottles with screw lids or bike bottles? What size are they? By the way, a race rep confirmed for me that it is Gatorade Pro that they're giving out.

- On the run, do they give out bottles or just cups? Gu's have to be taken with water, so if it's just cups, how do you make that work without stopping?

Also, we should get together and say hi at some point, either Saturday or post-race Sunday. I for one will be hitting up the amusement park on Saturday... kids' park or not. ;-)

Last year they gave our CeraSport.  It came in squeeze tops.  The spout on the squeeze top was narrow.  This year with Gatorade, it will probably be slightly different.  However, seeing as Rev3 is run by triathletes and a top-notch Race Organization, I'm sure whatever bottles they are they will be racer-friendly. 

On the run they had cups last year.  I'm sure it'll be the same thing this year.  I pinch the cup and tilt my head sideways. 

Weather is looking good for Middlebury, CT on Sunday.  High of 76 degrees, only 20% chance of precip.  Of course the forecast will change around 4 X during the week.
2011-05-31 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3525270

User image

New Haven, CT
Dream Chaser - 2011-05-31 9:54 AM
neweyes - 2011-05-30 11:44 AM

Last year they gave our CeraSport.  It came in squeeze tops.  The spout on the squeeze top was narrow.  This year with Gatorade, it will probably be slightly different.  However, seeing as Rev3 is run by triathletes and a top-notch Race Organization, I'm sure whatever bottles they are they will be racer-friendly. 

On the run they had cups last year.  I'm sure it'll be the same thing this year.  I pinch the cup and tilt my head sideways. 

Weather is looking good for Middlebury, CT on Sunday.  High of 76 degrees, only 20% chance of precip.  Of course the forecast will change around 4 X during the week.

this is new england, the weather will change 4x DURING the race.

2011-06-01 8:39 AM

User image

Terenzo Bozzone's tweet after last years Quassy Rev3 race:

"Body feels like it has been smashed. This was the hardest half course in the world."

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Revolution3 Triathlon - Quassy 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6