BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-04-21 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3457961

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Begiinner Banquet -Open for seating
Batlou - 2011-04-21 12:51 PM

First name:  Brian

How long you have been training for Triathlons:  Completed my first in 2009 (Sprint).

Family Status (married, single, number of children):  Married for 16 years with 2 kids (15, 11)

Date of upcoming race and type of race:  Derby 1/2 Mary April 30th, IronMan Muncie 70.3 July 9th

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: 20-25/5-7.5M/70-100

Do you have a weight loss goal:  Since 2008 I have lost 115 pounds, I recently experimented with my diet and promptly gained 10 pounds.  I am now at 185 and plan to try to make a push to 165 before Muncie in just under 3 months.

Are you run/bike or swim focused: I am ADD, focus...could you describe the focus?   Hah, if I had to pick I would say running because of it's simplicity. 

I already have a plan that I am following and it can be viewed on my blog, see link below.  I am trying hard to follow it but I do get sidetracked and often busy.  Mostly it's just a guide that I am using to prepare.  I figure if I can hit my milestones I will be OK by July.

http://batlou.blogspot.com/p/half-ironman-training-plan.html

Thanks in advance for offering your time.

Welcome Brian.  Funny you should mention ADD then say you get distracted from... hey there's a squirrel!

I am impressed you are doing a IM in July.  Awesome, and the best to you and your training! We will certainly learn a lot from your experiences. -Karen

2011-04-21 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

@Trigator:  I like squirrels.

@Baowolf:  I read your 'Inspire' this morning and started to comment in detail but realized that the point of the group was to learn from each other.

You asked if I had a plan and I do have one that I put together that is pretty detailed.  I used this plan mostly to sell my Wife on allowing me to sign up for a HIM.   Now that she is on board I actually have to follow through.  Been in a bit of a slump lately but snapping out of it. 

ETA:  My Plan http://batlou.blogspot.com/p/half-ironman-training-plan.html

So my question was...

On Saturday evening, after I had missed yet another long run, I decided to do a Sprint Tri on Sunday.  This has kind of screwed up my week by jumbling up my days since typically Sunday is a low effort day.  The only way to catch up is by doing a 1750 Swim, 30 Mile Bike, 45 Min Run and Yoga.  I need the run and bike the most so should I just do a lunchtime run and bike tonight and not worry about the swim/yoga?

The Yoga, I only do because my PT suggested it after I injured my Calf a couple of months ago.  I really only still go because of how relaxed I am when I am done.  Thinking I can skip this without much harm and just do a deep stretch at home. 

Edited by Batlou 2011-04-21 8:02 AM
2011-04-21 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3458167

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
kmatt318 - 2011-04-21 8:44 PM

Hello all, I would like to join the group.  I have run a couple of tri's and want the additional motivation of a great team.

First name:  Ken

How long you have been training for Triathlons:  I have been training for about a year. 

Family Status (married, single, number of children):  I am married with 3 children.  2 boys and a girl.  25, 21, and 14. 

Date of upcoming race and type of race:  4/30 Sprint Tri, 5/20 Gladiator 5k and many more. 

What your base run/swim/bike distance are per week: My swimming is the worse.  I swim about 1500m, Bike about 40 miles and run around 20 miles. 

Do you have a weight loss goal: Weight is not an issue, nutrition is a different story. 

Are you run/bike or swim focused: Need to be more swim focused.  But that is much easier said than done.  I am not a swimmer at all.  This is a major area of concern for me.  I have been trying to make a concerted effort to improve but I am so totally frustrated.  I would like to step up in competition level but I can not if I can not compete in open water swims.  The distances on the bike and the run are not a concern, but I have to be able to at least finish the swim.

My blog is:  triken318.blogspot.com

Ken, welcome to the group.  You have a race coming up next weekend.  Wow, so exciting, good luck to you.  Let us know how it went.  Is it OWS? -Karen
2011-04-21 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
No, it's a sprint.  Pools only for me, for now. 
2011-04-21 8:45 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

So I went out on the bike yesterday. Did about 10 miles in about 45 minutes. Not quite what I expected but then I hadn't touched a bike in about 2 years so I guess it could be worse.

One thing I struggled with was while I tried to stay in the 50-60% max heartrate zone I kept pushing myself higher and had to slow down to lower my heartrate. (I seem to have a bad habit with that overall. Same with running and swimming where I'm not disciplined enough to keep it at that level. Might stem from my gymnastics days.)

Also I'm fairly new to the whole road bike thing so I tried to watch my technique (i.E. body position and the leg scraping) but found myself slacking there as well. This will be definitely challenging over the next couple of weeks.

Markus

2011-04-21 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3458251

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

kmatt318 - 2011-04-21 9:17 PM No, it's a sprint.  Pools only for me, for now. 
Ken, good then, should be a peice of cake, or if not, eat a piece of cake after! lol

Wish we had pool tris here as that is how I have been training.  My first, May 7 is in a lake, no wet suits. ugh

2011-04-21 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Thanks Trigator. I am looking forward to it.  I really want to do a tri.  There is actually a big one here the same weekend as your Tri.  It was my goal last year but I didn't improve enough in the swim to seriously consider doing it.  Wet suits are legal.  But I am sure they will not be legal there. 

I am sure you will rock it. 

2011-04-21 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3457941

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Open for seating 4 tables left.
Hi Marc! I find the best strength training to do at home without equipment are push ups, squats, lunges, pull-ups (if you have a bar). There are several variations of each and they give a pretty thorough full body muscle building.
2011-04-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3458493

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
kmatt318 - 2011-04-21 10:41 PM

Thanks Trigator. I am looking forward to it.  I really want to do a tri.  There is actually a big one here the same weekend as your Tri.  It was my goal last year but I didn't improve enough in the swim to seriously consider doing it.  Wet suits are legal.  But I am sure they will not be legal there. 

I am sure you will rock it. 

Thanks Ken, I KNOW I will finish it and for my first...that's my goal.  You should go watch and cheer at the Tri May 7.  I watched one last weekend, so much fun, and learned a few tricks with T1 and T2 might be worth your while. -Karen
2011-04-21 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington

Hey all!  This group is becoming really active, 2 pages of posts in less than 12 hours!  Anyways I am off to Chicago for the weekend so I doubt I will be checking in but I might be able to fit in a couple of runs down there, no bike or pool so nothing else unfortunately.  Best of luck this weekend, make it a good one!

Marcus

2011-04-21 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3458690

User image

Regular
Subject: Chicago
Hey, if you are ever in chicago or milwaukee area again I am up for a run/bike

2011-04-21 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Question: Sometimes when I swim, I get a little water in the goggles.  What do you do if during a race, this or worse happens? Deal with it, or stop and fix it? -Karen

2011-04-21 11:15 AM

User image

Colorado

Ya the women who have had children... even a full IM will not top that.  That question is just to focus you.  During my Boston run I coudl have walked any time after mile 20.  I was in that much pain, but I knew what an IM marathon felt like and I knew that my body had the training in it to get the job done.  So I had faith in my body, in my training and knew where the edges were and that I could do just as much as I did and no more or risk going boom and walking.

Exactly that.  Between 9 months of throwing up--X2--and completing a dissertation, I often tell myself on hard training runs "you can do this, because after all...."

On training:  I agree that it's hard to fit it all in, but I've found it helps to be really flexible with it.  For example, I think today I'm going to fit a ride in while my oldest is in kindergarten, move my tempo run from today to tomorrow for school pick-up (I feel much better after having the flu, but I'm not sure I can pull off a 6M run with 4M tempo today), do my long run on Saturday instead of Sunday due to Easter, and then fit in the short 2-mile run my training plan suggested for Friday on Sunday.  It's not ideal to do a tempo and a long run back-to-back, but I'll take the long run easier than usual and call it good.

Bike question:  I have a Trek Navigator 3.0, which is a hybrid/commuter bike.  I love it for towing the kids around and running errands.  However, it has flat pedals.  Do I:

a. Buy some toe clips for the pedals, since if I ever really get into tris I'll end up buying a road bike anyhow

or

b.  Not bother and stick with my regular pedals?

(There's probably also c. Buy clipless pedals and shoes, but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of shoes and new pedals, and also, I'm a little nervous about biking in those since balance isn't my strong point and I hardly want to fall over while towing the kids.)

2011-04-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3458797

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
realrellim - 2011-04-22 12:15 AM

Ya the women who have had children... even a full IM will not top that.  That question is just to focus you.  During my Boston run I coudl have walked any time after mile 20.  I was in that much pain, but I knew what an IM marathon felt like and I knew that my body had the training in it to get the job done.  So I had faith in my body, in my training and knew where the edges were and that I could do just as much as I did and no more or risk going boom and walking.

Exactly that.  Between 9 months of throwing up--X2--and completing a dissertation, I often tell myself on hard training runs "you can do this, because after all...."

On training:  I agree that it's hard to fit it all in, but I've found it helps to be really flexible with it.  For example, I think today I'm going to fit a ride in while my oldest is in kindergarten, move my tempo run from today to tomorrow for school pick-up (I feel much better after having the flu, but I'm not sure I can pull off a 6M run with 4M tempo today), do my long run on Saturday instead of Sunday due to Easter, and then fit in the short 2-mile run my training plan suggested for Friday on Sunday.  It's not ideal to do a tempo and a long run back-to-back, but I'll take the long run easier than usual and call it good.

Bike question:  I have a Trek Navigator 3.0, which is a hybrid/commuter bike.  I love it for towing the kids around and running errands.  However, it has flat pedals.  Do I:

a. Buy some toe clips for the pedals, since if I ever really get into tris I'll end up buying a road bike anyhow

or

(There's probably also c. Buy clipless pedals and shoes, but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of shoes and new pedals, and also, I'm a little nervous about biking in those since balance isn't my strong point and I hardly want to fall over while towing the kids.)

Lisa, I was using toe clips (look like cages) on regular pedals for two months.  But I was doing it thinking it would save time in T2.  Problem I had was my running shoes did not fit inside, so I was using my actual tennis shoes, thus negating the whole idea if saving time by not switching shoes. So if you do go with the toe clips just make sure your running shoes fits before you buy. -Karen 
2011-04-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3458745

User image

Expert
trigator01 - 2011-04-21 10:55 AM

Question: Sometimes when I swim, I get a little water in the goggles.  What do you do if during a race, this or worse happens? Deal with it, or stop and fix it? -Karen

It depends on how bad it is.  I would suggest that if you are getting water in your goggles then you don't have properly fitted goggles. Check in your area for a swimming store like Swimville USA or something along that line and go try on several pairs until you find ones that don't leak.  If by "or worse" you mean losing them completely, it helps if you put on the goggles first then the swim cap.  Should the worst case scenerio happen and you get kicked, punched or whatever and your goggles come off they won't drop to the pool, lake or ocean floor. 

2011-04-21 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3458797

User image

Expert
realrellim - 2011-04-21 11:15 AM

or

Just my 2 cents.  I would not worry to much about adding clipless pedals to your bike for now.  Assuming you have fun and decide this is something you want to keep doing you will eventually buy a new bike that is better suited for triathlons.  Until then just work on the engine and enjoy the experience.

If you should decide to go clipless, there are several models that are made to be used with or without cleats.  The advantage on a commuter for this type pedal would be if you just want to go for a quick ride to the store you can just wear your flip flops or you can opt for cycling shoes with cleats to clip in when you are looking to get in a more serious ride.  Shimano PD-A530L is one of these types.  These also use the same cleats that you would find on a Spinning bike at the gym so you can take advantage of the SPD clipless pedals there as well.

2011-04-21 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Brian-Thanks for that suggestion of putting the goggles under the swim cap.  I will also get other pairs and see if I get a better fit.  Thanks, PS good luck on your up coming April 30 race! -Karen
2011-04-21 2:35 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks Trigator.  This is the first time I have dropped the ball in prep for a race an I am not sure how this will play out.  Will very likely be a sufferfest.

So what is on everyones workout schedule for today?  I have just started with lunchtime workouts and I am adjusting to it slowly.  No shower at work and I am a heavy sweater.  Currently using Baby Wipes to clean up when I get back.  Of course then I smell like a baby for the rest of the day.

Today

Lunchtime:  4 Mile run, Increase pace each mile

Tonight:  Assuming the sun stays out I am heading out for a ride 25-30 miles or will be forced to the trainer for a Spinnervals session. 

2011-04-21 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3459306

User image

Expert

trigator01 - 2011-04-21 2:13 PM Brian-Thanks for that suggestion of putting the goggles under the swim cap.  I will also get other pairs and see if I get a better fit.  Thanks, PS good luck on your up coming April 30 race! -Karen

You should be able to try them on in the store.  Most swimming specific shops or even triathlon shops can help you find a pair that fits properly.  Just put them on without using the strap and apply a little pressure.  If they fit properly they should form a seal that is snug and a little difficult to break.  If not try another pair until you find ones that do.  I am partial to the Aqua Sphere Kayenne's.  They don't drive into my eye sockets and give me a headache and provide good vision on all sides. 

2011-04-21 2:42 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

No lunch workouts for me. Just like you no shower and temperatures between 80 and 100 isn't a good combination. I stick to the evening workouts at this time. I've been meaning to try morning workouts but they are currently getting trumped by a hungry baby that needs a feeding while Mommy is trying to catch up on some sleep.

Planning on running tonight.

Markus

2011-04-21 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Today's lunch workout was an 18 mile bike ride.  It took a little longer than an hour but I was close.  Fortunately I do have a shower at work. 

2011-04-21 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I do most of my workouts in the morning while everybody else is in bed, 3:30 - 5:30.  I'm going to miss a swim workout this week because the pool at my neighborhood YMCA is closed this week for maintenance, and the closest one is 30 minutes away.  Going to go tomorrow morning to get my medium/short mixed swim workout done.

It's been raining here the past few days and that has caused me to do one of my bike workouts on the stationary at the gym.  I need to get one of those hydro trainers.

2011-04-21 8:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hrm where to start.  Well my race report is up if anyone wants to read it. 

If you have a functional bike, just use it for your first tri.  I have seen people do a Half Ironman on a mountain bike.  You don't realy want to waste too much money on a basic bike because if you decide to get a road bike or a tri bike you will be out $700 to $1700 for an entry level race bike.  So use what you have until you get a little farther into the sport, unless you have lots of money and enjoy buying new toys.  If you buy a race bike then go clipless (which means clip in) pedals. 

Typically one does not "make up" missed workouts.  That is not to say that we don't make decisions as to drop one workout for another if we missed a key workout for the week.  If you miss a 15 mile run you don't want to do 2 in one week, but if you can sneak it in 1 day late in place of a 3 mile recovery run you might do that.  What you don't want to do is build up too may workouts too close in time so that you build up too much fatigue and your workouts suffer. 

For those using HR for training, did you set up your heart rate zones poperly 1 for the bike, 1 for the run based on a Time Trial test?

Hrm what am I missing....   99.9% of triathletes swim freestyle.  Breastroke is frowned appon because you kick people in the face a lot and they don't care for that much.  It also tends to be slower, works you legs too much and uses more energy. 

It is common when starting out to go too hard too soon making your HR go too high.  You really need to start off slow and build that base or you risk injury.  This isn't to say that you can't do harder efforts, but not speedwork until you have a good base in place. 

I am not saying that you can't do weightlifting.  However, if you do a lot of leg work with your workout and then go ride a bike for 40 miles and then go run 10 miles... you can be hitting the same muscle groups too often.  The best strength training to do is focusing on your core as it is needed in all 3 sports.  So if you love lifting, then do some lifting, but be aware of what other workouts you are doing and stager things to allow for rest.  Just like you woulden't do benchpress 5 days a week, you would do upper body one day, legs the next and alternate if you waned to lift 5 days a week.  Your body needs some time to rest.   

2011-04-21 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

The best way to get better at swimming is to join a master swim group or get some kind of coaching.... and then practice lots.  When I starte I could not swim freestyle at all.  I am not great now, but I can go far so that is something.  I have to be careful buiding swim at the moment due to having broken my collar bone last fall and still strengthening. 

When people talk about nutrition they are typically talking about race calories.  So it is a good idea to try different gels, chomps, beans, etc., to determine what works for you.  Race day is not the time to figure out what will upset your stomach.  Different brands of gel have different levels of thickness or runiness and different flavors, lots of flavors.  Some folks gag on gels, they do not like the texture of them or lack there of.  Typically you are looking at 200 cal per hour on the run and 300 cal per hour on the bike for rides longer than 90 min starting at 45 min to 1 hour into the run/ride. 

To regulate temperature on the run of a tri if it is hot you typically pour water over your shirt or even your head.  Do not put ice in your hat = wicked frosty freeze headache that can make you vomit and put you out of the race for up to an hour.  Ice in your shorts, cold sponge in your shirt, water in your hat, lots of things but not ice in your hat. 

Do not drink too much = side cramps and in a long race it dilutes your electrolytes to dangerous levels.  Don't drink too little or you are in dehydration land in a med tent with an IV in your arm.  These are less of an issue for shorter races and when temps are below 80F.  When temps are 85+ you typically need more cooling, at 90+ you need more fluid intake, at 95+ you need a lot more fluid intake and at 100+ you need to closely monitor electrolyte replacement with fuild and calorie intake and level of effort. 

Ok what did I miss?

Edited by Baowolf 2011-04-21 8:56 PM
2011-04-21 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I was able to get my swim in tonight.  1700 yds. total with an 1100 yd. endurance section.  That is the furthest I have ever swam without stopping ever.  My previous best was 500 yds.  

Baowolf was discussing with me in an inspire about how the site was estimating my calorie burn higher than it should.  I have never even paid attention to that because for months I have been using a Bodymedia Fit.  Though not perfect, it works pretty good based on my estimated weight loss vs actual weight loss using it over the past few months.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61