General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-24 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3595565

User image

Veteran
WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
There was actually way less truck traffic than I thought there would be. I did a ride earlier this summer on 95 north between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry and the logging truck traffic was horrible so that is what I was expecting. But CDA doesn't have any mills anymore so no logging trucks. As far as training on this course I just did it this once to see what the hills were like and get an idea of the elevation but don't know if anyone really needs to train on this new course because there is nothing tricky about it (no blind corners or suprise/steep hills) so riding hills anywhere will work. It is really a pretty nice ride though. Hardly any cross streets, no stop signs and plenty of room for bikes and traffic. Just not quite as interesting as the other course. I can totally see why the race director wants to use this route though from a logistics stand point. Also here is a link to a few photos I took if anyone is interested http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/achen2iron/

2011-07-24 1:41 PM

User image

New user
Salisbury

I am in, B2B this October will be my first Iron Distance and Coer d' Alene will be my first offical IM

One Quick Question I called the host hotel 2x and was promised that someone would call me back or and e-mail me the info, been a week and nobody has called. Does anyone know how this works or should i start looking elsewhere?

Kenney, from Salisbury NC

2011-07-24 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3612329

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
I would keep calling them.
2011-07-24 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3612233

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
thanks achen2iron, good to read!.. and the photos were great too... does not sound like the 'nightmare' many were mentioning...

achen2iron - 2011-07-24 12:32 PM

There was actually way less truck traffic than I thought there would be. I did a ride earlier this summer on 95 north between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry and the logging truck traffic was horrible so that is what I was expecting. But CDA doesn't have any mills anymore so no logging trucks. As far as training on this course I just did it this once to see what the hills were like and get an idea of the elevation but don't know if anyone really needs to train on this new course because there is nothing tricky about it (no blind corners or suprise/steep hills) so riding hills anywhere will work. It is really a pretty nice ride though. Hardly any cross streets, no stop signs and plenty of room for bikes and traffic. Just not quite as interesting as the other course. I can totally see why the race director wants to use this route though from a logistics stand point. Also here is a link to a few photos I took if anyone is interested http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/achen2iron/
2011-07-24 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3612421

User image

New user
Salisbury
Thanks, I'll call again and ask them to please take my money.... lol
2011-07-25 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3612233

New user

Arvada, CO

achen2iron - 2011-07-24 10:32 AM There was actually way less truck traffic than I thought there would be. I did a ride earlier this summer on 95 north between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry and the logging truck traffic was horrible so that is what I was expecting. But CDA doesn't have any mills anymore so no logging trucks. As far as training on this course I just did it this once to see what the hills were like and get an idea of the elevation but don't know if anyone really needs to train on this new course because there is nothing tricky about it (no blind corners or suprise/steep hills) so riding hills anywhere will work. It is really a pretty nice ride though. Hardly any cross streets, no stop signs and plenty of room for bikes and traffic. Just not quite as interesting as the other course. I can totally see why the race director wants to use this route though from a logistics stand point. Also here is a link to a few photos I took if anyone is interested http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/achen2iron/

Thanks so much for the preview.  I really hope they keep the old course, but good to know the new one won't be too awful

2011-07-25 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3607746

New user

Arvada, CO
[email protected] - 2011-07-21 7:20 AM

I used Infinit exclusively for my IM last year and it worked out fine with me.  I have been using it for a couple of years.  You have the ability to talk with a person on their website about your event distances, etc along with your body make up, sweat rate etc and they will help you design a personal powder for you.  They have great reviews and I have only heard of positives from them.  They can set up all of calories, electrolytes, etc you need based off the information you provide them.

Great, thanks for the information.  I'm going to do some experimenting this year and see what i find. 

ki0722 - 2011-07-20 4:06 PM I tried CDA this year for my first ironman and screwed up my fluid intake and had to pull out on mile 85 on the bike.  Signed right up for 2012 and am hoping for a better result.  I really hope they keep the bike course the same, but like many have said, it'll be great either way.  I used CDA Getaway as well this year and had a great rental.  Looking forward to training chat with you all!  First question, has anyone done purely liquid food for an ironman???

2011-07-25 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3613529

User image

Florida
ki0722 - 2011-07-25 12:54 PM

achen2iron - 2011-07-24 10:32 AM There was actually way less truck traffic than I thought there would be. I did a ride earlier this summer on 95 north between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry and the logging truck traffic was horrible so that is what I was expecting. But CDA doesn't have any mills anymore so no logging trucks. As far as training on this course I just did it this once to see what the hills were like and get an idea of the elevation but don't know if anyone really needs to train on this new course because there is nothing tricky about it (no blind corners or suprise/steep hills) so riding hills anywhere will work. It is really a pretty nice ride though. Hardly any cross streets, no stop signs and plenty of room for bikes and traffic. Just not quite as interesting as the other course. I can totally see why the race director wants to use this route though from a logistics stand point. Also here is a link to a few photos I took if anyone is interested http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/achen2iron/

Thanks so much for the preview.  I really hope they keep the old course, but good to know the new one won't be too awful.

I agree the new course isn't as nice as the old one, but I think the new course will be fine.  Anything is better than riding in Florida.  We also won't have to worry about the rumble strips and gravel in the race as the roads will be closed and we should be riding in the traffic lanes. 

2011-07-25 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3613640

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
docfish - 2011-07-25 1:36 PM

Thanks so much for the preview.  I really hope they keep the old course, but good to know the new one won't be too awful.

I agree the new course isn't as nice as the old one, but I think the new course will be fine.  Anything is better than riding in Florida.  We also won't have to worry about the rumble strips and gravel in the race as the roads will be closed and we should be riding in the traffic lanes. 

When people asked me why I was doing IMCdA and not IMFL this is the answer I usually gave them

2011-07-25 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3613708

User image

Florida
TriRSquared - 2011-07-25 2:08 PM
docfish - 2011-07-25 1:36 PM

When people asked me why I was doing IMCdA and not IMFL this is the answer I usually gave them

Funny.  It's my answer as well. 

2011-07-26 9:15 AM

User image

Seattle, WA

So, achen2iron, is mica grade the only real hill on the new course?  Are there rollers at all?  I for some reason couldn't open the link to the course profile, so please excuse my "duh" questions

I saw a week ago on Ironman's facebook feed that CdA is "filling fast", but it's not closed yet.  I'm going to hope it stays open for another month as my just-in-case-Canada-fills-onsite IM

2011-07-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3615011

User image

Veteran
WA
mango6383 - 2011-07-26 6:15 AM

So, achen2iron, is mica grade the only real hill on the new course?  Are there rollers at all?  I for some reason couldn't open the link to the course profile, so please excuse my "duh" questions

I saw a week ago on Ironman's facebook feed that CdA is "filling fast", but it's not closed yet.  I'm going to hope it stays open for another month as my just-in-case-Canada-fills-onsite IM

No problem. It'a an interesting course in that you are climbing pretty much the whole way out, it just doesn't seem that way because it is so gradual. One little bump on the way back in. It is going to be a way faster course. The lowest elevation is 2100+ and it tops out at 2720. Hope this helps.
2011-07-28 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
I'm in.  I don't know what everyone is crying about.  It is what it is and we can either get PO'ed about it or just accept it.  I personally do the ironman for the challenge, but race week is all about the city i am visiting.  We will be there from tuesday through the next saturday.  It's a vacation and despite what they do with the bike course the town is still awesome and I can't wait to play that golf course!!
2011-07-29 3:29 AM
in reply to: #3612421

User image

New user
Salisbury

I did Josh stayed on the line and helped me.... faxed in my reservation. Waiting on confirmation.

cool blog thanks....Mallon

Edited by kenbert61 2011-07-29 3:31 AM
2011-07-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3615072

User image

Seattle, WA
achen2iron - 2011-07-26 7:42 AM

No problem. It'a an interesting course in that you are climbing pretty much the whole way out, it just doesn't seem that way because it is so gradual. One little bump on the way back in. It is going to be a way faster course. The lowest elevation is 2100+ and it tops out at 2720. Hope this helps.

It does, thanks!  I'm kind of a bigger fan of hills than flats and gradual climbs, but the prospect of a faster course is pretty tempting.

As far as crying about the old course, I didn't really interpret the conversation that way.  I can only speak for myself, but I am simply trying to get information so I can make an informed decision about which IM to sign up for next year.  I'm truly sorry if the topic was bringing people down!  I didn't intend it that way at all. 

2011-07-29 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3621089

User image

Expert
Tulsa
mango6383 - 2011-07-29 2:52 PM
achen2iron - 2011-07-26 7:42 AM

It does, thanks!  I'm kind of a bigger fan of hills than flats and gradual climbs, but the prospect of a faster course is pretty tempting.

As far as crying about the old course, I didn't really interpret the conversation that way.  I can only speak for myself, but I am simply trying to get information so I can make an informed decision about which IM to sign up for next year.  I'm truly sorry if the topic was bringing people down!  I didn't intend it that way at all. 

When I said "crying" I meant all the people that were saying they would never do this race again if they change the course. I was just stating that I do the ironman races as an experience and a vacation. So the course doesn't really play that much into where I do an IM. It's all about the location and things to do in and around the city. That's why I'll never do the new one in NY. Don't like that area of the country and especially that city.

2011-07-29 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

I just saw that general entry is still open... and I'm thinking about taking the plunge.  I was hoping to do IMWI next year but can't go to volunteer and know that signing up online is less than guaranteed.

So... I may be in.  I've always thought this looked like a beautiful course and if I'm going to ride 112 miles, I want it to be entertaining.

Sounds like the course is a bit flatter, which I guess could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.  

2011-07-30 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

OK - I'm officially in.  Happy to join you all!

Excited and nervous!

Surely the crazy low water temps of 2011 can't happen 2 years in a row, right?

2011-08-01 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
After 2 years of racking bikes at T2 My sweetheart and I are in for 2012. Decided we wouldn't put it off anymore. Looking forward to our first IM in CdA.
2011-08-02 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
We are 8 strong coming from Vegas for 2012!  For those of you familiar with the race, is there any roads that get jammed up race morning or areas you would stay away from when booking a place to stay?  I watched the race in 2010 and saw no real delays anywhere but I wasn't there for the swim start.
2011-08-06 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Just registered today.  I am registered for IMWI and this Wednesday had a big fall on the bike resulting in injuries that will keep me out of that race.  I am determined to be an Ironman, though, even if it means doing so 9 months after I originally anticipated.  Look forward to following this thread and meeting folks inCdA next June.

2011-08-08 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3631769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

Patrick E - 2011-08-06 9:30 AM Just registered today.  I am registered for IMWI and this Wednesday had a big fall on the bike resulting in injuries that will keep me out of that race.  I am determined to be an Ironman, though, even if it means doing so 9 months after I originally anticipated.  Look forward to following this thread and meeting folks inCdA next June.

Sorry to hear about your fall, Patrick.  What a bummer.

Glad you were able to get into CdA, though.  We'll enjoy getting to know you over the next 10 months!

2011-08-09 2:22 PM

Veteran

Hi all!

I am also officially signed up. Going to stay in Spoakne with some friends and this will be only my second triathalon. My first being the 1/2 in the Pocono's this Oct. I am super stoked for both races and look forward to it.

Can someone tell me how to add this thread to my race log????

2011-08-09 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3636236

Veteran
psycleridr - 2011-08-09 3:22 PM

Can someone tell me how to add this thread to my race log????

Never mind!! Figured it outSmile

2011-08-10 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
This thread has been a bit slow lately. What do you guys have going on for the rest of 2011? I think I have one race left, maybe 2.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56