BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-04-11 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4137251

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Let's do this thing! StephSprint group OPEN!
cislfamily - 2012-04-08 10:45 PM

Hi Steph,

If you are still happy to take on another, I would love to jump in!!

A bit of history - I've never done a tri before, my first one is planned for late June.  I have been training by myself.  running is my weakest link....

I am married (13 years in June) and have 2 children 9 years and 5 years.  We live in Bali so have no excuses for great swimming all year round.

I have recently ramped up my training coming into my first tri, and knowing running is my weakest link...  anyway, if you are still taking a few more, I'd love to be included in that.

Suzanne

I admire you SO MUCH for being able to get this training done alone! Great work!! Happy to have you... I too am a weak runner. I'm currently trying to build more leg strength so I can be faster. runnersworld.com has the BEST videos to help build hip and core strength, which will make you faster. Chi-Running, which you can google, will help you run easily, and keep you from getting injured. GOOD LUCK!

2012-04-11 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4137258

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
frenchiegurl - 2012-04-08 10:51 PM

Hi Steph!

My name is Tara. I'm 37 years old and I'm a "runner". I have done 7 or so halfs, 3 fulls, 1 Ragnar Relay, and various 5-10K races over the past two years. I decided this year to add triathlon to my schedule. I have worked with my coach for 2 years and continue to use him because he is great and very supportive but I am always looking for all the help and input I can get. I would love to join your group because I think it will be very helpful to me to have another forum where I can get input, ideas, and support.

I just (as in Friday) came off of a 2-month running hiatus due to a stress fracture but in that time I have added swimming and cycling to my schedule. My first mini sprint tri will be May 5.

Fantastic!! you are what I call a real runner. You Ragnar people are CRAZY!! Your sprint is coming right up! what sport gives you the most trouble? are you running differently to make sure you don't get injured again? Running form is KEY to keeping yourself from fracturing.

WELCOME!
2012-04-11 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4137846

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
jessicajane - 2012-04-09 10:28 AM

I would love to join your group!

Last summer I would have told you running and races are not my thing, but I just registered for my first tri! I have no idea what I'm doing and am looking for advice and guidance. I've worked up to being able to run 4.4 miles and have been alternating bike and run workouts as I don't have access to a pool yet. I will be taking a few swimming lessons at the end of the month and I live on a lake so eventually (if I can find a wetsuit or it warms up in Wisconsin) I will have the opportunity to do some OWS before the tri. 

I look forward to your guidance! 

Jessica

A cheddar-head! Welcome!! When is your tri? I love Wisconsin. I spent my summers at Pepin as a child. My Mom is from Eau Claire.

I love that you are just jumping right in!!! Yay!
2012-04-11 7:39 AM
in reply to: #4138448

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
lmatlock - 2012-04-09 2:16 PM

Can I hop in too?!I am 33, 5'3", 200 lbs (down from 220 in Jan) and a happy member of the back of the pack. I am married but no kids, i have one horse and too many cats. I kind of randomly decided after (mostly walking) a half marathon that a triathlon would be fun and plan to do my first sprint august 18th.

Swim: I swam competitively until I got to college and it is my favorite sport so I'm actually looking forward to it. I've been in the pool at the gym for the last few months and am going to start working with the local masters team next month.

Bike: I have never ridden seriously and it had been years since I rode at all. I expect this to be my weakest sport. I bought my first road bike last week and took it for a 12 mile ride on Saturday. Slow was the word of the day!!! It will get better as I get more miles on my tires.

Run: I started running to lose weight after a friend of mine talked me into the Tinkerbell Half in January. I could never manage to run more than a 15 seconds at a time while training for it. I thought it was due to my weight and lack of fitness but it turns out the shoes the running store recommended were the problem. I am a midfoot runner and the shoes were not letting my feet work the way they wanted too. I tried running in vibrams and my feet were happy but the shock from the extra 85 lbs was going to be too much. I got a pair of newtons and have actually been enjoying running for the first time in my entire life. I ran my first 5k last month and beat my goal time by a minute with a 37:45, slow but respectable Laughing. I plan to run the tinkerbell again next year and decimate my pathetically slow time!

I am using the 16 week 3x sprint plan but since it doesn't start for a month I am working on base building for swim and bike and using Jeff Galloway's 10k time improvement plan for the Camp Pendelton Mud Run in June. I am also doing strength training twice a week.

I have the following scheduled this year:

April-Victory for victims 5k

June-Pendleton mud run

Aug-Hansen dam sprint tri

Sept-Disneyland half marathon

Oct-Hermosa beach sprint tri

Nov-Santa clarita half marathon

Absolutely, hop on in!! Slow and steady is just fine, speed will come!! I gotta get to work, but I'll post more later!
2012-04-11 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4139491

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2012-04-09 9:36 PM

Hey there Steph!

Like to stay with the group even though my racing future this summer is looking murky.

Susie

Love to have you, you bring so much to the groups! Glad you asked and I hope your injuries are healing. Ankle?
2012-04-11 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4128264

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
OK I have to go to work... what a great group!!!

I'll respond more later... but in the meantime, it's important to add everyone.... PLEASE! you will want to inspire your new friends and comrades!

ADD EACH OF US AS A ‘FRIEND’ SO WE CAN SEND EACH OTHER INSPIRES AND READ EACH OTHERS LOGS
At the top of your screen there is a wrench ‘settings’ click that and then..,
Click TRAINING BLOG CUSTOMIZATION
Then FRIENDS…. Here add everyone in the group as your friend … remember to UPDATE FRIENDS at the bottom. VOILA!
STEPHSPRINT
TD1961 - Tracey
THREEJS - Ellen
OTISBROWN - Otis
OAK73 - Oakey
SPRYZING - Michelle
BSCHUMAN
DIGITALRAIN – Shana
AMYBECCA
AENEAH – Deborah
MAKING TRACKS – Lisa
SKIBUMMER
LOVEY
COCASHE
FLUFFYRUNNER
AWK1987
GARYLANDRY
TACOTUESDAY
NATS
ERSCHMALTZ
ZBRIDGET
CISLFAMILY
FRENCHIEGURL
JESSICAJANE
LMATLOCK
albertoT
lauraleroux

pegrosen

Edited by stephsprint 2012-04-11 7:44 AM

2012-04-11 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4142714

A cheese head I am indeed! My tri is actually in Eau Claire on June 10. I'm a little nervous, it's coming up fast. I've been doing a 14-17 mile bike ride followed by a 3.2mile run once a week, is that over kill or okay to keep up? It's a little more then the plan I'm following so I wanted to ask. I feel okay doing it, but I'm a naive beginner, what do I know?

2012-04-11 10:09 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
Subject: RE: STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL!

Back in the group please!

I am still running with just a tiny bit of swimming.  Have a 10k in May, and I have not done enough hills!

2012-04-11 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4141474

New user

Detroit

I am a smidge of a perfectionist, so it was just frustrating, but have been talking about how awesome it was since! My swim coach wants everyone to swim a 500 fly by 5/1/2012. Now, I don't know how that is going to go, but i'm a goal person, so I will fight like hell to do it! The competitor in me just hopes there's at least one other person behind me!

Nice job on the time improvement for swimming! It's frustrating getting it down, but it's my favorite of the three sports. Well, I will say that until I hop on the back of a bike anyway, and then that one will be my favorite!

2012-04-11 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Is anyone in central Maryland by any chance?

By the way, Steph you are in my home town of Miami. I miss the town not the heat.
2012-04-11 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4142677

User image

New user
Miami

Thinking about joining Hammerheads and I train at La fitness by South Miami Heights on US 1 . I live very close to Larry and Penny park and road the bike course a couple of weeks ago, very nice ride.

Are you a hammerhead?

2012-04-11 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4142723

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

stephsprint - 2012-04-11 7:42 AM OK I have to go to work... what a great group!!! I'll respond more later... but in the meantime, it's important to add everyone.... PLEASE! you will want to inspire your new friends and comrades! ADD EACH OF US AS A ‘FRIEND’ SO WE CAN SEND EACH OTHER INSPIRES AND READ EACH OTHERS LOGS At the top of your screen there is a wrench ‘settings’ click that and then.., Click TRAINING BLOG CUSTOMIZATION Then FRIENDS…. Here add everyone in the group as your friend … remember to UPDATE FRIENDS at the bottom. VOILA! STEPHSPRINT TD1961 - Tracey THREEJS - Ellen OTISBROWN - Otis OAK73 - Oakey SPRYZING - Michelle BSCHUMAN DIGITALRAIN – Shana AMYBECCA AENEAH – Deborah MAKING TRACKS – Lisa SKIBUMMER LOVEY COCASHE FLUFFYRUNNER AWK1987 GARYLANDRY TACOTUESDAY NATS ERSCHMALTZ ZBRIDGET CISLFAMILY FRENCHIEGURL JESSICAJANE LMATLOCK albertoT lauraleroux pegrosen

Steph, You forgot me!!!  I'll try not to take it personally.Wink

suzimmer - Susie

I will post bio later.  

2012-04-11 6:42 PM

Yesterday was an "easy" day. Did a sweet little hike (2mi x 2) to get some skiing in on a local mountain. The only problem was I started hammering the up track because I thought someone else was going to ski it first. My "easy' day quickly turned into a two lap mini suffer-fest. 

Today I took advantage of a gym membership deal, and put in a sprinty sprint tri workout: 

15 min pool (500yds?)                                                                                                                          15 min bike (5mi)                                                                                                                                15 min run (2mi)   

Didn't have a lot of time today, so I decided to just give them all a go. Joined with a friend who is not tri minded, but my goal is to at least get some personal training experience as I help him toward his goal to "get cut".

And now for some bedtime yoga to stretch out those angry muscles.

2012-04-11 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Good evening everyone!

I had to skip my masters swim tonight because I got home too late from work. I'm disappointed because I was really looking forward to release all that stress.

Time to head to bed, I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow.  Hopefefully I will be able to go out for a quick run tomorrow evening.

2012-04-12 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
PLEASE ADD

SUZIMMER
DEEHTZ

YAY!

AGAIN, I NEED TO GO TO WORK, I'M TAKING GYM CLOTHES TODAY AS THERE IS A NICE GYM IN MY BUILDING. LUNCHTIME WEIGHTS...YES? YES!!

ALSO WALKING 30 MINS T W TH WITH A COWORKER... NICE TO GET OUT OF THE OFFICE.

Cheers! and definitely more later...
2012-04-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4133273

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Threejs - 2012-04-05 8:40 PM
stephsprint - 2012-04-05 5:33 PM
Threejs - 2012-04-04 11:39 PM

I would love to join your group!

Name:  Threejs/Ellen

I will keep it short and sweet…Just turned 50 a few months ago.  Took a good long look in the mirror and decided it is time for a change.  Signed up for a tri last year and turned it into a family reunion instead - did our own swim/bike/run which was great!  (Probably too much alcohol consumed to actually be considered a tri but a great time was had by all)

Family Status:  Married.  3 teenagers,  2 dogs and a hamster.

Current training:  Officially started working out about a month ago. Core work at the gym and just started a walk/run program.  Have a bike - tuned up like new and have access to a pool - so no more excuses!

Races:  Took part in my son's 5k in February 2012.  Planning to register for SheRox Sprint Tri in October.

Weightloss:  Just want my clothes to fit again. (And to burn my mom jeans and all the pictures I am wearing them in)

What will make me a good mentee:  This time - no excuses!  I promise promise promise to log in my workouts!  Looking for accountability and lots of fun…

Hey Ellen!! Welcome! sounds like you have a house full! Hey a tri is a tri... maybe beer would help me.... hmmmm The 5k sounds cool, love to hear more about that. Stay away from the mirror until about.... November. Ok... log. I will add you as friend and keep track. Sounds like we have a lot in common that way!! Glad to have you in my group!!

Thanks! Got my run/walk logged in   So in February, my son set up a 5K along the beach with 3 of his friends, theme was Teen Driving Safety.  Had several speakers including the Sheriff's department, a man who was hit by a drunk driver and is now 33 talked about his life and how it was changed forever, also had MADD out there among several others.  It was definitely a proud parent moment to watch these 4 high school students pull this together - had to get City Permits, the whole ball of wax.  It was so awesome.  So they had planned to do it once, but the Sheriff's department was so excited about it that they asked my son and his friends to make it an annual event.  Since he and his friends are runners, the race drew teenagers from high schools all over the area. 

They netted over $2500 the first year (2011) that was donated to Teen Driving Safety organizations and over $3000 this year that was also donated. He will be a senior next year so it will be his last hurrah. It is so much work for them but so rewarding!  So if you are in Southern Cal in February 2013, I know of a great beach run for you......Laughing

That is SO cool!

2012-04-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4136988

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

TacoTuesday - 2012-04-08 5:34 PM I'd like to join your group.I'm a 49 year old guy. I used to be an avid cyclist & runner. Then 14 years ago I was diagnosed with MS and the pain & balance issues forced me to stop-cold turkey. 3 years ago I fell in love with swimming and did a 1-1/2 mile swim in Lake Michigan last September without a wetsuit. Water temp was 65 degrees. I joined a Masters Swim class last fall and the other members, who are all triathletes, thought I was one too.That got me thinking, maybe I can be one.I started running Feb 1st. Very slow build up to currently running 4 miles per workout 3 times per week. I bike about 2 times per week about 20 miles each time. I swim 2500-3000 meters a workout 6 days per week. Just recently signed-up for a sprint triathlon June 10th. If all goes well, I plan on doing several this summer working up to an Olympic Tri.

Hey there!  We're practically neighbors.  I'm in the north suburbs.

And you are my new hero.  1 1/2 miles in the lake with no wetsuit!  WOW. I swim in the Lake reluctantly and never without a wetsuit.

Welcome to the wacky world of triathlon!

2012-04-12 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Since I'm finally catching up with all the posts and replying to them, I figured I'd better let everyone know who I am.

Married almost 26 years and have two boys in college. One will graduate this May, the other is a sophomore. Our nest isn't quite empty since we have two dogs.  One is a puppy that we adopted this past Feb.  He's a coon hound, lab, beagle mix that I hope will become a good running companion.  

I've been a runner for many years and did my first tri the summer of 2006.  Since then I have competed at every distance.  I did IM Wisconsin in 08 and 10.  I turned 50 this past summer and did Racine 70.3 on my birthday wearing a plastic silver tiara during the run.   Unfortunately, this year my triathlon/running participation may be put on hold as I am injured. At the moment I am wearing a soft cast walking boot for a bad case of Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. I have to wear this "thing" for another week and then have some PT.  Will see the ortho on May 9 to see what comes next.  I hope not surgery.  

But meanwhile, I can still swim with the pull buoy, strength/core training and can do the rowing machine.  Got to do something or I will go crazy.

Happy to be part of the group and getting to know everyone.

2012-04-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4145114

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Hi,

I'd like to hang out with you guys! 

Enrique

2012-04-12 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4146193

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ecpasos - 2012-04-12 1:28 PM

Hi,

I'd like to hang out with you guys! 

Enrique

Please do!!!
2012-04-12 9:11 PM

User image

Hi Folks!

Whew-busy week & this is a big group! Smile  Susie- you & I are totally neighbors, northern burbs here too. Would love any tips you have on any local races or training groups. (doing the "I'm not worthy" bow on your IM experience!)

Picked up my first bike yesterday.  Trying to decide if I should spring for the shoes too.  I'm afraid it's too far above my experience level, which is total newbie. Anyone have thoughts or recommendations?  

Workout schedule is staying on track - love that the training log uploads from my Garmin!  I'm still trying to load everyone as friends. 

Hope everyone is looking forward to Friday & the weekend.  Now it's off to watch some playoff hockey - let's go hawks!!

Terri

2012-04-13 5:18 AM
in reply to: #4144642

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Nats - 2012-04-11 9:02 PM

Good evening everyone!

I had to skip my masters swim tonight because I got home too late from work. I'm disappointed because I was really looking forward to release all that stress.

Time to head to bed, I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow.  Hopefefully I will be able to go out for a quick run tomorrow evening.

I have been having some of those issues lately, since starting the new job. But here I sit on the computer this morning... hmmm.
2012-04-13 5:20 AM
in reply to: #4139787

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2012-04-10 12:29 AM

Wow we have a big active group here!

Today was suppose to be 10 mile ride to get me back in the saddle. I decided to change my route and ride to a nearby trail. I really enjoyed the downhill 2 miles to the trail. my bike partner got not one, not 2 but 3 flats. We cut our ride to 8 miles since we didn't have any more CO2. Then the long 2 mile upclimb back home. It was still good to get out there and it was the first weekday I have been able to get up early in a long long time.

8 is still good! learning to fix tires is also good... but a drag, yes? trail work is fun, now you got me thinking about my fat tire bike!
2012-04-13 5:22 AM
in reply to: #4147506

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
awk1987 - 2012-04-12 10:11 PM

Hi Folks!

Whew-busy week & this is a big group! Smile  Susie- you & I are totally neighbors, northern burbs here too. Would love any tips you have on any local races or training groups. (doing the "I'm not worthy" bow on your IM experience!)

Picked up my first bike yesterday.  Trying to decide if I should spring for the shoes too.  I'm afraid it's too far above my experience level, which is total newbie. Anyone have thoughts or recommendations?  

Workout schedule is staying on track - love that the training log uploads from my Garmin!  I'm still trying to load everyone as friends. 

Hope everyone is looking forward to Friday & the weekend.  Now it's off to watch some playoff hockey - let's go hawks!!

Terri

Suz is your gal for races and advice for sure!! Do you have clips? have you ever tried them? get LOOK pedals if you do, easier to get in and out. I wish I had. falling stinks...
2012-04-13 5:23 AM
in reply to: #4146178

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2012-04-12 1:23 PM

Since I'm finally catching up with all the posts and replying to them, I figured I'd better let everyone know who I am.

Married almost 26 years and have two boys in college. One will graduate this May, the other is a sophomore. Our nest isn't quite empty since we have two dogs.  One is a puppy that we adopted this past Feb.  He's a coon hound, lab, beagle mix that I hope will become a good running companion.  

I've been a runner for many years and did my first tri the summer of 2006.  Since then I have competed at every distance.  I did IM Wisconsin in 08 and 10.  I turned 50 this past summer and did Racine 70.3 on my birthday wearing a plastic silver tiara during the run.   Unfortunately, this year my triathlon/running participation may be put on hold as I am injured. At the moment I am wearing a soft cast walking boot for a bad case of Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction. I have to wear this "thing" for another week and then have some PT.  Will see the ortho on May 9 to see what comes next.  I hope not surgery.  

But meanwhile, I can still swim with the pull buoy, strength/core training and can do the rowing machine.  Got to do something or I will go crazy.

Happy to be part of the group and getting to know everyone.

pull, strength, and rowing sounds like a great way to get yourself in fantastic shape!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » STEPH SPRINT FULL Let's do this thing! StephSprint group FULL! Rss Feed  

of 45