Expert
North Cackalacky
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
Sous - 2013-03-05 12:26 PM
ScudRunner - 2013-03-05 10:03 AM
ejshowers - 2013-03-05 9:49 AM
mrbbrad - 2013-03-05 8:27 AM
sea2summit - 2013-03-04 1:53 AM

Sense this is the gun thread can we be exact in the words we use? 

Anyone else snicker at the irony here?

Yes, I got a good chukle out of it! Wink

Is that like a chuckle, but not quite?

I just got done with my North Carolina CCH training.  Two things I am annoyed by:

1.  Apparently the wait time to get an appointment to do the paperwork/finger printing/etc. at the Sheriff's office to actually apply for the permit is nearly three months.

2.  The places you aren't allowed to carry in NC are interesting.  The two that are most inconvenient for me are restaurants that serve alcohol and movie theaters.  I thoroughly enjoy going to movies and letting other people cook for me.

Hmmm... the movie theater thing is interesting.  The restaurant thing is pretty common although in VA we recently passed a bill that allow CC in bar/restaurants as long as you are not consuming alcohol. 

Right.  NC law already says that you can't CC and consume, so I don't understand the restriction on CC in places where other people might.  As far as movie theaters, it's part of a blanket restriction on CC in any place where you have to pay admission.  Also not sure I totally understand.

2013-03-05 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4647242

Regular

As far as movie theaters, it's part of a blanket restriction on CC in any place where you have to pay admission.  Also not sure I totally understand.

Do you really want someone CC to a Hurricane's game.  Personally, having been around some rather "interesting" hockey fans, I don't want CC at a game.  OTOH,  the constitution guarantees our right to be armed as a means to protect ourselves (as a group) from foreign gov'ts (as well as our own).  That right has been extended to include the right to protect our "person" from threats by other individuals.  An argument could be made that a hockey game would be the perfect place to CC....just in case that Penguin fan gets out of hand.

2013-03-05 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4647337

User image

riltri - 2013-03-05 1:51 PM

As far as movie theaters, it's part of a blanket restriction on CC in any place where you have to pay admission.  Also not sure I totally understand.

Do you really want someone CC to a Hurricane's game.  Personally, having been around some rather "interesting" hockey fans, I don't want CC at a game.  OTOH,  the constitution guarantees our right to be armed as a means to protect ourselves (as a group) from foreign gov'ts (as well as our own).  That right has been extended to include the right to protect our "person" from threats by other individuals.  An argument could be made that a hockey game would be the perfect place to CC....just in case that Penguin fan gets out of hand.

Considering all of that is legal in quite a few to most other states, the fact that it's never been an issue seems to escape people who are hell bent on restricting it.

2013-03-05 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
riltri - 2013-03-05 12:51 PM

I certainly understand the argument, but honestly no matter where somebody CC's they have to be responsible enough to not harm others.  If you're at a public game, the odds of somebody trying to rob you out in the crowd are pretty much zero, so the odds of you engaging somebody with a lot of people in the background are pretty much zero.  Now, if you're heading to the stall halfway through a period and somebody jumps you in the hallway or bathroom, now it's a totally different story.

If you really break it down anywhere a person carries has the risk of collateral damage during an engagement and the person carrying is liable for every bullet that leaves his/her gun.

Then you have the other scenario of a bad guy going into a stadium and unloading his 10,000 round magazines on everyone.  If you had 20 or 30 people in the stands with CCW, I suspect the overall damage (including potential CCW collateral damage) would be far less than it would be if the bad guy were able to unload all his magazines without challenge.

2013-03-05 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
riltri - 2013-03-05 11:51 AM

Yes in fact, I would say a sporting event is a very good place to be carrying. 

I like the way Idaho has it. No problem packin at a sporting event but once alcohol touches your lips no gun for you. Makes sense to me. I am okay with not having my gun on me while I am drinking.

Although our laws make no sense either because you can't carry concealed once you have had anything to drink but there is no restriction on open carry and drinking. So I suppose if you are carrying then decide to have a drink just make sure your gun is visible and you'll be fine. 

2013-03-05 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4647386

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-05 1:22 PM

Yes in fact, I would say a sporting event is a very good place to be carrying. 

I like the way Idaho has it. No problem packin at a sporting event but once alcohol touches your lips no gun for you. Makes sense to me. I am okay with not having my gun on me while I am drinking.

Although our laws make no sense either because you can't carry concealed once you have had anything to drink but there is no restriction on open carry and drinking. So I suppose if you are carrying then decide to have a drink just make sure your gun is visible and you'll be fine. 

That is funny about the open carry.  I do completely agree with no carrying while drinking.  I have a hard enough time not breaking out my gun to show everybody how awesome it is.  If I had a few drinks in me I'd be waving it all over.  Hey everyone, look at my cool gun!!! 

2013-03-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

As a non gun owning individual, but not against guns, I am curious if there is an increase in the gun shops being started up in different areas of the country.  The small town in which I work, is going to be getting a new small business that is a gun store from what I am being told and I just saw a sign on the building that said Southwest Shooting Store.  It is too small for an indoor firing range, so I am guessing ammo and guns.  Is this happening in a lot of locations?  I will be amazed if this small business lasts, unless they do a lot of business at guns shows.  Too small town for anyone to be able to support it and keep up with the big box stores selling guns, ammo, clothing, fishing, archery, etc...

I gave my guns to my BIL to use, once I quit hunting.

2013-03-05 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I highly doubt that a lot of new stores are opening. The big stores around here can't get or keep stock to save their lives. Even our Cabela's looks like the gun department is going out of business.

I would think that an upstart would be on the bottom of the list to receive stock.

Good time to already have a gun business (if you can get stock) but based on what I am seeing a terrible time to try to start one. 

2013-03-05 1:52 PM

User image

Elite

Self defense is a fundamental human right, and we have always had it. Not sure what you mean by "extended".

2013-03-05 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4647424

User image

Elite
Aarondb4 - 2013-03-05 12:44 PM

I highly doubt that a lot of new stores are opening. The big stores around here can't get or keep stock to save their lives. Even our Cabela's looks like the gun department is going out of business.

I would think that an upstart would be on the bottom of the list to receive stock.

Good time to already have a gun business (if you can get stock) but based on what I am seeing a terrible time to try to start one. 

This. You could be a FFL and still not get anything to sell. I would find it hard to believe anyone would be starting one up in this climate. Even guns themselves have small profit margins.

2013-03-05 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Wow! Just read the proposed Florida legislation. It would outright ban "assault weapons", no grandfather clause. If passed if you own an "assault weapon" you would have until a certain date to get rid of it or destroy it. Yikes!
Oh also included in the definition of banned "assault weapons" are semi automatic hand guns with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds. Also magazines holding more than 10 rounds are banned. Failure to get rid of the banned stuff by December 1st is a second degree felony. Max penalty on a second degree felony is 15 years in prison.

But hey "no one wants to take guns away from law abiding citizens" right?

2013-03-05 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4647456

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Brock Samson - 2013-03-05 1:00 PM Wow! Just read the proposed Florida legislation. It would outright ban "assault weapons", no grandfather clause. If passed if you own an "assault weapon" you would have until a certain date to get rid of it or destroy it. Yikes!
Oh also included in the definition of banned "assault weapons" are semi automatic hand guns with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds. Also magazines holding more than 10 rounds are banned. Failure to get rid of the banned stuff by December 1st is a second degree felony. Max penalty on a second degree felony is 15 years in prison.

"If you like your plan (errrr gun) you can keep it!"

2013-03-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4647456

User image

Pro

Brock Samson - 2013-03-05 2:00 PM Wow! Just read the proposed Florida legislation. It would outright ban "assault weapons", no grandfather clause. If passed if you own an "assault weapon" you would have until a certain date to get rid of it or destroy it. Yikes!

It's funny that Florida would propose that kind of legislation....before nearly every state passed right to carry laws Florida was issuing permits to just about everyone.  We came across people constantly who were carrying CCW permits from Florida....and most of them probably had never even been to Florida.

My wife is one of the most liberal people I know....born, raised, and drank the koolaid in Berkely, Ca. for over 25 years.  Her comment, "great, only the Police will have high capacity weapons, and they'll come after the rest of them if they get it passed....who the hell wants to live in a country where only the Police have guns?"

There may be hope for her after all.  Laughing

2013-03-05 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4647479

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2013-03-05 1:11 PM

Brock Samson - 2013-03-05 2:00 PM Wow! Just read the proposed Florida legislation. It would outright ban "assault weapons", no grandfather clause. If passed if you own an "assault weapon" you would have until a certain date to get rid of it or destroy it. Yikes!

It's funny that Florida would propose that kind of legislation....before nearly every state passed right to carry laws Florida was issuing permits to just about everyone.  We came across people constantly who were carrying CCW permits from Florida....and most of them probably had never even been to Florida.

My wife is one of the most liberal people I know....born, raised, and drank the koolaid in Berkely, Ca. for over 25 years.  Her comment, "great, only the Police will have high capacity weapons, and they'll come after the rest of them if they get it passed....who the hell wants to live in a country where only the Police have guns?"

That's the whole problem with this. Restricting rights, legislating "your" morality.... it's all great when you agree with it... not so great when they decide you are the onesthat needs to be restricted.

2013-03-05 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4647479

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Left Brain - 2013-03-05 2:11 PM

Purely from a political point of view I suspect the gun debate is going to do far more harm than good to the Democrats.  I've got a handful of cousins that are hard core union guys and were all about Obama in the last election because of his support for union rights.  However, these guys are HUGE gun nuts and now all I see is rage and anger towards the Dem's and you'd think they were crazy right wingers by reading their facebook these days.

2013-03-05 9:19 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Speaking of facebook, I saw this stroll across one of my pro union former Obama supporters' facebook page.  I thought it was amusing.
I'm kind of curious as to what the huge spike was in 1906, but I suspect it was related to tracking Homicides versus a true spike.

I think the most relevant data in the chart is the continued downtrend while gun ownership and CCW have spiked heavily the past 20 years.

2013-03-06 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Surprised the Kentucky laws haven't been posted in this thread yet.  I think it was late February that basically said NO federal gun laws will be legal in Kentucky.

2013-03-06 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4648343

User image

flip18436572 - 2013-03-06 9:51 AM

Surprised the Kentucky laws haven't been posted in this thread yet.  I think it was late February that basically said NO federal gun laws will be legal in Kentucky.

I believe that's no NEW gun laws. Kentucky isn't the only place to do it. But not only states passing such laws, the policing agencies are banding together about not enforcing such laws as well:

Growing List of Sheriffs, Associations and Police Chiefs Saying ‘NO’ to Obama Gun Control
http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

and here's a blurb about the States:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/states-obama-gun-proposals-cons...
From the Mississippi governor to lawmakers in Texas, Missouri and Wyoming, even local sheriffs in Oregon and Kentucky, many of those who oppose the president's proposal believe it is within their legal right to not only refuse to enforce federal legislation, but to make it a crime for a federal agent to try and enforce the law in their states.
2013-03-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4648390

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
I think you are correct with the no new federal gun laws for Kentucky.  I read that Missouri already has some state lawmakers wanting to take guns.  I can't believe that will pass in Missouri, but who really knows anymore.
2013-03-06 11:32 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
From gun control to gun compel:  http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/city-looks-make-gun-ownership-mandatory/nWhgr/ 
2013-03-06 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4648598

User image

Regular

Hook'em - 2013-03-06 12:32 PM From gun control to gun compel:  http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/city-looks-make-gun-ownership-mandatory/nWhgr/ 

I think that is a shedty idea.  I don't think you should be able to make me buy healthcare or a gun.  And there are a lot of people I could name that I don't think should have a gun...

2013-03-06 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4648616

User image

sea2summit - 2013-03-06 12:41 PM

Hook'em - 2013-03-06 12:32 PM From gun control to gun compel:  http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/city-looks-make-gun-ownership-mandatory/nWhgr/ 

I think that is a shedty idea.  I don't think you should be able to make me buy healthcare or a gun.  And there are a lot of people I could name that I don't think should have a gun...

If it's modeled after Kennesaw's law, then you can opt out for pretty much any reason including you just don't want to.

Kennesaw passed the law in 1982, it's a suburb of Atlanta and perhaps the other town wants these stats too:
Violent Crime Rate
Incidents per 100,000

Kennesaw 93
GA 760
National 676

2013-03-06 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4648616

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
sea2summit - 2013-03-06 11:41 AM

What about an individual mandate in which the penalty for non-compliance is merely a tax? 

2013-03-06 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4648848

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Hook'em - 2013-03-06 1:31 PM
sea2summit - 2013-03-06 11:41 AM

What about an individual mandate in which the penalty for non-compliance is merely a tax? 

lol, I think you're on to something. 

I can definitely think of a few people I know that I would NOT want to own guns.

2013-03-06 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4648489

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

flip18436572 - 2013-03-06 10:33 AM I think you are correct with the no new federal gun laws for Kentucky.  I read that Missouri already has some state lawmakers wanting to take guns.  I can't believe that will pass in Missouri, but who really knows anymore.

The Missouri law has been blown so far out of proportion that it’s ridiculous.  Not the law itself, as written it would absolutely take people’s guns away.  But to hear the pundits like Glenn Beck describe it, the Missouri Democrats are on the cusp of actually making this happen.  Not only will this bill never become law, it won’t even make it out of committee.  This legislation is nothing more than 4 idiots in the St. Louis (i.e. Democrat) area putting their names on a piece of paper for some shameless political pandering.  Other than the 3 co-sponsors, the Missouri Democrats don’t support the bill, and even if they did they only own a 1/3 of the House seats.

And their stupid bill was in turn met with equally shameless pandering from a Republican representative who introduced legislation that would make it a felony to introduce gun control legislation.  Punishable by up to 4 years in prison.  The Missouri congress has become a complete joke.  Both sides are doing nothing with these ridiculous bills other than getting their names in the paper.  It’s good for the political talk shows, but it’s a complete waste of taxpayer money.

Missouri is actually very pro-gun.  What did just make it out of committee is a measure to criminalize the enforcement of any new executive orders from Obama regarding gun control, and another measure to make Missouri guns exempt from all federal regulation as long as they stay within the state.  Also, we’re fixing to amend our state constitution to state that the right to bear arms is an inalienable right.  So basically, we're doing all we can to tell the feds to p1ss off.

People need to take a deep breath.  “They” are not trying to take away your guns.  “He” or “she” or Tony might want to take your guns away, but the government as a whole won’t and can’t.  We should be focusing our attention on the laws that will take certain weapons off the market.  Those have a legitimate chance of passing.  Or laws that would limit how much you can buy, or mandate that you have to pay for some type of liability insurance, or create a national gun registry (although I personally don’t have a problem with that one).  But don’t lose any sleep on any proposed legislation that would take away a weapon that is already owned.  It’s never gonna happen.  Even Feinstein’s bill grandfathers in ownership of all of the weapons she’s trying to get banned. 

If I’m wrong and some rogue blue state manages to pass a law that forces gun owners to surrender their previously legally owned weapons, and that law somehow manages to be held up in the courts and enacted, feel free to call me out and I’ll publicly eat all the crow you can serve.  

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48