Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-16 5:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah MATT! 

That's some super strong work. Lookin good in and out of the street clothes, btw. 

I mean that in the best, non-creepy, older woman kinda way.

I also like that you are wearing the same color shirts, it adds to the before/after effect Smile

and I also want to make a comment about Elesa being a creeper but nothing is coming to me right now. That is all.

It occurred ot me today when I clicked on the guys of BT thread and somy avi plastered all over it, that I probably seem (am?) a total creeper.  At some point you just have to own it, I guess...

Hahahaha, I suppose so! I don't mind if you want to pretend to deny it a little longer though. Secret safe with me.

Full disclosure, I'm probably the opposite of a creeper.  The reality is that I can't stand it when people put themselves out there--with a pic or whatever and they get no response.  It gives me a little heartache. 

Now, don't go telling anybody that...

Alright, back to you for a moment. That is one part that makes you so awesome (you know in addition to the creepiness) I'm reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and you represent so many of the fundamentals he talks about. I don't know if you know you are doing it or not, but you are amazing at selflessly engaging people. And finding a way to include everyone. You are freekin' awesome.

It makes me almost  ignore your reckless streaking Wink

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-16 5:32 PM

2013-09-16 5:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Oh, Salty, that is very, very kind and it comes at a good time.  Very big hugs to you my special friend. 

I love these challenges because they allow us all to get to know each other a little better, and that's the good stuff.  If I become a better runner (have a stronger core, hold longer handstands, can do more push-ups, get PURPOSE to my running) too, well, that's a bonus :)

2013-09-16 6:47 PM
in reply to: switch

Downloaded the book last night - Kindle providing instant gratification.

Roll Call: Carl, 40 years old, running for about 15 months when I decided to start triathlons. Last year I did my first races, a sprint tri, a 10K and HM, and this spring completed a HIM, and there were a couple of Olympics that got shortened or cancelled due to weather. This fall I've got two 10Ks and am running the HM again. My "A" events are the HM in November and then the HIM in the spring.

I built my running base last year training for the HM with the plan from "Be a Better Runner" by Sally Edwards, et al. Basing the training on HR and making sure I wasn't going to hard was great for working up to HM without getting hurt. Now that I'm comfortable with the distance I'm looking for more direction for getting faster safely.

My open HM time from last year was 1:57:29, and this spring's HIM run was 2:05:23, and my goal is to take 10-12 minutes off of those times.

I'm having trouble gauging my current fitness level, workouts have been inconsistent, but I think some of that has been good ole' Houston summer heat. But I think my goals are reachable, and hope this will help me refocus my running workouts.
2013-09-16 6:48 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed Anyhoo ... it's the 16th today so everyone should begin reading. Should we establish a stopping point and then begin discussion? Does anyone have any questiosn thus far? Any comments?

I've been through the first chapters and am getting into structuring a training block.  24 week training plan and how to structure the weeks within the four phases.  So I am seeing a pretty logical progression of thought.  It might be helpful for someone who has been through the whole thing and has a pretty good working knowledge to summarize the major parts of the book.  Could be like:

1) Physiological adaptions and types of workouts

2) Measuring current fitness (VDOT) and establishing pace/durations of workouts

3) Training plan and developing your phases and the underlying weekly workout schedule

4) Distance specific variations to training plan

I think it would be helpful, especially for us that are kind of new to this, to follow some progression of discussion and learning so there is plenty of  foundational explanation.  Some of the stuff that is written is pretty intuitive but some gets quite technical.  I'm throwing out the above sequence and blocks but am kind of shooting from the hip.

2013-09-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: popsracer

I haven't gotten the book yet but I'm tempted to just download it since I'm already behind schedule (somethings never change). But from hearing some of you talk it sounds similar to an old book I read called "Lore of running". I love the technical and physiologic aspect.

A little twist after hearing times and distances. Everyone continue to list times and then pick a goal and apply the program. See how much improvement it makes for each individual (whether race or VDOT). Good moral and inspirational support.

I have seen some good ideas and formats for discussion. I can't wait to get this rolling.

Dave
2013-09-16 8:40 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah MATT! 

That's some super strong work. Lookin good in and out of the street clothes, btw. 

I mean that in the best, non-creepy, older woman kinda way.

I also like that you are wearing the same color shirts, it adds to the before/after effect Smile

and I also want to make a comment about Elesa being a creeper but nothing is coming to me right now. That is all.

It occurred ot me today when I clicked on the guys of BT thread and somy avi plastered all over it, that I probably seem (am?) a total creeper.  At some point you just have to own it, I guess...

Hahahaha, I suppose so! I don't mind if you want to pretend to deny it a little longer though. Secret safe with me.

Full disclosure, I'm probably the opposite of a creeper.  The reality is that I can't stand it when people put themselves out there--with a pic or whatever and they get no response.  It gives me a little heartache. 

Now, don't go telling anybody that...

Don't worry, I will always see you as a creeper. Laughing

2013-09-16 8:44 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed Anyhoo ... it's the 16th today so everyone should begin reading. Should we establish a stopping point and then begin discussion? Does anyone have any questiosn thus far? Any comments?

I still need the book to come in and will probably be behind in actually reading it with stuff coming up the next week. Although it took maybe 2 days for me to read Training and Racing With a Power Meter. I'm mostly curious to see what comes up here. New thoughts and viewpoints to consider. Very interested in a Challenge that does more than help with motivation and/or consistency. Those are great for many, but it's also good to develop a better understanding of how to work to make better use of the time spent.

2013-09-16 9:02 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by brigby1

I still need the book to come in and will probably be behind in actually reading it with stuff coming up the next week. Although it took maybe 2 days for me to read Training and Racing With a Power Meter. I'm mostly curious to see what comes up here. New thoughts and viewpoints to consider. Very interested in a Challenge that does more than help with motivation and/or consistency. Those are great for many, but it's also good to develop a better understanding of how to work to make better use of the time spent.

OK, so a couple of people have mentioned feeling behind, and I know of a couple of others who were waiting on their books.  I know people's schedules are demanding, and, really, there's no reason we can't take as much time as we need with this book.  I only set the month parameter as a guideline, but I'd love it if the group continued to discuss things JD and running related indefinitely.

Like Steve, I have found the first few chapters really resonate, and I will want to come back to them and reread them after trying some things out.  If at any point we are discussing things that are beyond where you are in the book, just bring it back to your point of question. I have found that I often learn the most by walking through the discovery steps with someone else. 

2013-09-16 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by popsracerp>

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a roll call that would include what experience you have already on the topic. 

Been away at Savageman, and licking my wounds after not only getting progressively slower at each 70.3, (although they are getting more challenging...), and failing at my attempt at a brick due to an untimely unclip about 10 feet away from the top after 2 people abruplty stopped in front of me.
I am now just getting back to this thread.

I see that Ben (brigby1) commented on the descriptions of pacing that JD meant. As always, succint and to the point. Thanks, Ben.

For the roll call, I would describe myself as an experienced physiologist/cardiologist (with many athlete patients) who began running seriously at age 40 and learned a lot over the 10 years of a running focus 'block' followed by recurrent injuries from being too 'hard on my body' (per my ortho doc) and crossing over to cycling and ultimately decided to train to do an IM at age 50, which I did at age 51, I didn't realize you needed to train so long to do that distance...ha! I am most happy with my mile PR of 5:23, you can see my running and tri PR's on my profile.I never ran in HS, as soccer was my sport back then, but I did play indoor soccer for decades as an adult. All my PR's were set after age 40, BTW.

First completed tri was Quassy 70.3 (with my first OWS at the venue, followed by hanging on a kayak...oy-if you want a good laugh, read my race report for that one), second completed tri was IMLP 2012-12:26:xx. A much better execution.

I am still learning triathlon now and have 10+ books completed, compared with my 30+ books on running. JD is a favorite, although I liked edition 1 better than edition 2. I can say that I have a copy of the vdot tables at home, in my office and in my car. Much knowledge has been gained from discussions here at BT, especially in the IMLP thread of 2012, which probably still has the record for posts in the Iron Distance Races.Several people continually offered insights and were very helpful. This thread is more about running, however, and much more in my realm.

Having traded comments with many people in several different venues, I have learned that being fast does not mean you understand the physiology of running or training principles. It is usually appropriate to be discriminiating regarding what you are reading. Although I have written personalized run blocks designed to help people qualify for the Boston marathon, and at least 4 or 5 have been successful, that does not make me a coach. I am hoping I do get some credit.
More importantly, I encourage my patients to exercise often, usually in support of a healthieer lifestyle, because it is in their best interest.to do so.

When I got around to it, I wrote a bunch of 'Lessons I learned from Running' and posted on a couple of the running sites which I frequented at the time,which you can find here.
http://coolrunningboomers.pbworks.com/w/page/16477606/Dale
I actually submitted a similiar version of this to BT several months ago, as an article for running, but have not heard back from the powers that be...hmmm....When I was juuuuust beginning, I got involved in a now defunct website that had a few superstars (a woman Olympic qualifier, several stud 5K athlete's and coaches that included: Joe Rubio, Pete Pfitz and John Kellog (along with several other well known coaches). One of the guys from the site, Kevin Beck, later wrote a very good book with compilations from many athlete's/coaches, called Run Strong. On that site, there was a lot of good talk about stuff that was just in it's nacent stages and there were some interesting discussions there..I learned a lot. His book might be a good one at another time-or at least discussing chapter 3, Devising an Efficient Training Plan' with the 6 elements. Periodization is another important aspect.

Since I only found this thread by accident, by seeing something pop up on the screen that caught my eye, I sort of feel like a party crasher, so if there is an issue, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm in!
Dale
2013-09-16 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

One question or point of discussion I'd like to have with the group is this idea of running economy.

I think one of the things I love about fast running, especially sprinting, is that the motion feels very natural to me.  As I slow down my pace it begins to feel cumbersome, and in zone 2 it can sometimes feel really pretty meh.  JD has said that with some of his slower runners he doesn't have them use their easy pace, but rather their "M" pace because their form suffers too much with "easy" running and can lead to injury (details on pg 102--I skipped ahead to this section).

Can anyone speak to this?  How did you adjust for this?

I don't think my form is so bad that I am going  to injure myself, but I do feel a huge discrepancy between my form at 9:30mpm (LSD or "easy") pace and 8:15(marathon) mpm and again between 8:15 and 7:30s or 6:50s...

I guess one of the things I being to balk at mentally when I think about doing 85% + of my mileage at my easy pace is that I'm not going to be running efficiently and my body will revert to that.  Why doesn't that happen?

2013-09-16 9:29 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by popsracerp>

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a roll call that would include what experience you have already on the topic. 

Been away at Savageman, and licking my wounds after not only getting progressively slower at each 70.3, (although they are getting more challenging...), and failing at my attempt at a brick due to an untimely unclip about 10 feet away from the top after 2 people abruplty stopped in front of me. I am now just getting back to this thread. I see that Ben (brigby1) commented on the descriptions of pacing that JD meant. As always, succint and to the point. Thanks, Ben. For the roll call, I would describe myself as an experienced physiologist/cardiologist (with many athlete patients) who began running seriously at age 40 and learned a lot over the 10 years of a running focus 'block' followed by recurrent injuries from being too 'hard on my body' (per my ortho doc) and crossing over to cycling and ultimately decided to train to do an IM at age 50, which I did at age 51, I didn't realize you needed to train so long to do that distance...ha! I am most happy with my mile PR of 5:23, you can see my running and tri PR's on my profile.I never ran in HS, as soccer was my sport back then, but I did play indoor soccer for decades as an adult. All my PR's were set after age 40, BTW. First completed tri was Quassy 70.3 (with my first OWS at the venue, followed by hanging on a kayak...oy-if you want a good laugh, read my race report for that one), second completed tri was IMLP 2012-12:26:xx. A much better execution. I am still learning triathlon now and have 10+ books completed, compared with my 30+ books on running. JD is a favorite, although I liked edition 1 better than edition 2. I can say that I have a copy of the vdot tables at home, in my office and in my car. Much knowledge has been gained from discussions here at BT, especially in the IMLP thread of 2012, which probably still has the record for posts in the Iron Distance Races.Several people continually offered insights and were very helpful. This thread is more about running, however, and much more in my realm. Having traded comments with many people in several different venues, I have learned that being fast does not mean you understand the physiology of running or training principles. It is usually appropriate to be discriminiating regarding what you are reading. Although I have written personalized run blocks designed to help people qualify for the Boston marathon, and at least 4 or 5 have been successful, that does not make me a coach. I am hoping I do get some credit. :) More importantly, I encourage my patients to exercise often, usually in support of a healthieer lifestyle, because it is in their best interest.to do so. When I got around to it, I wrote a bunch of 'Lessons I learned from Running' and posted on a couple of the running sites which I frequented at the time,which you can find here. http://coolrunningboomers.pbworks.com/w/page/16477606/DaleI actually submitted a similiar version of this to BT several months ago, as an article for running, but have not heard back from the powers that be...hmmm....When I was juuuuust beginning, I got involved in a now defunct website that had a few superstars (a woman Olympic qualifier, several stud 5K athlete's and coaches that included: Joe Rubio, Pete Pfitz and John Kellog (along with several other well known coaches). One of the guys from the site, Kevin Beck, later wrote a very good book with compilations from many athlete's/coaches, called Run Strong. On that site, there was a lot of good talk about stuff that was just in it's nacent stages and there were some interesting discussions there..I learned a lot. His book might be a good one at another time-or at least discussing chapter 3, Devising an Efficient Training Plan' with the 6 elements. Periodization is another important aspect. Since I only found this thread by accident, by seeing something pop up on the screen that caught my eye, I sort of feel like a party crasher, so if there is an issue, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm in! Dale

Dale!

Welcome to the party--so glad you're in:)  I feel grateful to have your expertise in the discussion.  Sorry to hear about the oh-so-close brick at Savageman.  That's a little heartbreaking.  I feel for ya brotha.

---

Ditto Ben.  Didn't know you were going to join us, but saaahweet! BTW, as a podmate, I get special privileges with you;)

---

To the others who have posted your roll calls, a big welcome to all of you. If you're lurking--stop that!  Introduce yourself and get involved.  You can learn a lot by lurking, but you will learn more if you put yourself out there.  No question is dumb--or if it is, I've asked a dumber one. I assure you.

2013-09-16 9:48 PM

User image

New user

Oh, Salty, that is very, very kind and it comes at a good time.  Very big hugs to you my special friend. 

I love these challenges because they allow us all to get to know each other a little better, and that's the good stuff.  If I become a better runner (have a stronger core, hold longer handstands, can do more push-ups, get PURPOSE to my running) too, well, that's a bonus

I very much agree with Salty Switch. You are very awesome! You are positive, kind, funny and really bright. You give way more on these threads than you probably get. I appreciate your posts very much and getting to know you!
In fact if I see a post is yours I read it just because of that! Consider yourself hugged!!
2013-09-16 10:02 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by brigby1

OK, so a couple of people have mentioned feeling behind, and I know of a couple of others who were waiting on their books.  I know people's schedules are demanding, and, really, there's no reason we can't take as much time as we need with this book.  I only set the month parameter as a guideline, but I'd love it if the group continued to discuss things JD and running related indefinitely.

Like Steve, I have found the first few chapters really resonate, and I will want to come back to them and reread them after trying some things out.  If at any point we are discussing things that are beyond where you are in the book, just bring it back to your point of question. I have found that I often learn the most by walking through the discovery steps with someone else. 

I wonder if more passages can be found by typing a part of it into google. Think I found some before that way, like the one I linked earlier.

2013-09-16 10:05 PM

Master
Northern IL

Ditto Ben.  Didn't know you were going to join us, but saaahweet! BTW, as a podmate, I get special privileges with you 

No touching

2013-09-16 11:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

One question or point of discussion I'd like to have with the group is this idea of running economy.

I think one of the things I love about fast running, especially sprinting, is that the motion feels very natural to me.  As I slow down my pace it begins to feel cumbersome, and in zone 2 it can sometimes feel really pretty meh.  JD has said that with some of his slower runners he doesn't have them use their easy pace, but rather their "M" pace because their form suffers too much with "easy" running and can lead to injury (details on pg 102--I skipped ahead to this section).

I don't think my form is so bad that I am going  to injure myself, but I do feel a huge discrepancy between my form at 9:30mpm (LSD or "easy") pace and 8:15(marathon) mpm and again between 8:15 and 7:30s or 6:50s...

I guess one of the things I being to balk at mentally when I think about doing 85% + of my mileage at my easy pace is that I'm not going to be running efficiently and my body will revert to that.  Why doesn't that happen?

I'm the same way.  If I run below a certain pace I feel like the deterioration in my natural stride generates more pounding.  On my last long run I felt worse halfway through than at a minute/mile faster pace.  I experimented a bit with my form but nothing really felt natural or sustainable.  When I did my last IM, it was easier and more comfortable to take walk breaks then it was to slow my run pace down.

I usually do my long runs (up to 18 so far) at M pace or slightly faster.  I think they end up being something more than an easy run though as I would not have relished the prospect of going another 8 miles.  It is a toughy for me because I know I lack a bit of endurance.  I started taking iron as I have been anemic and was hoping that had something to do with things going south late in the long runs.

I know it is possible to train for greater economy on the faster side of the spectrum but learning economy on the other end has eluded me.

2013-09-16 11:01 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I read chapters 1 and 2 tonight. I'm thinking this is going to be very good for me before it is over. I'm actually very scientific, with an engineering background, but the one thing I've never really applied that aspect of my nature to was creating my own plans. I tend to be pretty spontaneous, not much of a planner, which doesn't go well with triathlon training. However, I do know that once I understand what I'm doing, even my so called "spontaneous" training will much more closely mimic an intelligent plan. The benefit of this to me is that I don't panic when I have a sick day, a bad training day, a weather related cancelation, etc...I roll with those punches pretty well.

Anyways, now that I've gotten through the definition of his terms and such, I'm looking forward to the next few chapters.

Happy reading, you guys.

2013-09-17 3:13 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hi everyone, I just wanted to stick my nose in and say I will probably keep an eye on this thread - mostly in lurk mode.    I've read some but not all of Daniel's book, all of the Triathlete's Guide to training with power and I'd like to read the swim speed secrets book.

My short story: I was a swimmer as a kid, decided to tri around age 33 (now 38), fought with my knees for well over a year before I could run without pain.  Running was always my weakness in races.  Last year after doing IMMT I hired a coach and it has totally changed my training.  He uses Daniels VDOT tables for training paces and "I-pace" is now a curse word for me.    The run leg of races has improved significantly for me now including setting a 10K run PR (open or tri) at the end of an Olympic tri in August!

PR times:  (a bit old - I'm pretty sure I could beat all of these if I went out and raced)
5K - 20:51 
10K - 45:10 
HM - 1:38:10 
Marathon - never done one other than the run of IMMT, no desire to ever do one! 

2013-09-17 4:04 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Read some interesting stuff tonight that got me thinking about my next insertion of quality work. Repeats.  Contrary to what I would have thought, JD seems to recommend this type of quality work in earlier phases of training.  As I understand it, learning good form by running shorter faster repeats should be done before more taxing Interval and Threshold work, assuming one has adequate base built to progress there.  So what would a typical R workout look like in terms of warmup, main set, and cool down?

"R Pace. Repetition (R) velocity is faster than I pace, at the very least, but, unlike I and T, is not based on V02max. Rather, R pace is to a great extent, based the race for which you are training; it is more designed for good mechanics at a pretty firm pace."

While my short term goals are for a marathon I am tailoring my quality work at faster paces, more on the lines of 5k.  I do race quite a few 5k's through the year but since I never have trained at this pace, my form does feel a little wobbly at those paces.  I can see where getting more comfortable mechanically at these paces would be of benefit. 

2013-09-17 6:34 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by popsracer

Read some interesting stuff tonight that got me thinking about my next insertion of quality work. Repeats.  Contrary to what I would have thought, JD seems to recommend this type of quality work in earlier phases of training.  As I understand it, learning good form by running shorter faster repeats should be done before more taxing Interval and Threshold work, assuming one has adequate base built to progress there.  So what would a typical R workout look like in terms of warmup, main set, and cool down?

"R Pace. Repetition (R) velocity is faster than I pace, at the very least, but, unlike I and T, is not based on V02max. Rather, R pace is to a great extent, based the race for which you are training; it is more designed for good mechanics at a pretty firm pace."

While my short term goals are for a marathon I am tailoring my quality work at faster paces, more on the lines of 5k.  I do race quite a few 5k's through the year but since I never have trained at this pace, my form does feel a little wobbly at those paces.  I can see where getting more comfortable mechanically at these paces would be of benefit. 

My coach had me doing R Pace workouts before ever touching I pace and before getting heavily into T pace.

A typical R pace workout for me was something like

WU: 2 miles easy
6-8x200 at R pace with 45 seconds recovery between
Cooldown for 1-2 miles easy

WU: 2 miles easy
3x200 at R pace with 45 seconds recovery
1x400 at R pace with 60 seconds recovery
3x200 at R pace with 45 seconds recovery
Cooldown for 1-2 miles easy

I quickly went through my logs for the last year and every R pace workout was pretty much one of those or a close variation.  The first one was the most common and all I did for the first while and once I had done it a bunch then the second one was used here and there.

2013-09-17 6:58 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Chunga

I love these challenges because they allow us all to get to know each other a little better, and that's the good stuff.  If I become a better runner (have a stronger core, hold longer handstands, can do more push-ups, get PURPOSE to my running) too, well, that's a bonus :)

I very much agree with Salty Switch. You are very awesome! You are positive, kind, funny and really bright. You give way more on these threads than you probably get. I appreciate your posts very much and getting to know you! In fact if I see a post is yours I read it just because of that! Consider yourself hugged!!

Mary, you've just made my day. Thank you.

2013-09-17 7:00 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Could I make a request that when we refer to the book we use page numbers when at all possible? 

2013-09-17 7:20 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by axteraa

Hi everyone, I just wanted to stick my nose in and say I will probably keep an eye on this thread - mostly in lurk mode.  :)  I've read some but not all of Daniel's book, all of the Triathlete's Guide to training with power and I'd like to read the swim speed secrets book.

My short story: I was a swimmer as a kid, decided to tri around age 33 (now 38), fought with my knees for well over a year before I could run without pain.  Running was always my weakness in races.  Last year after doing IMMT I hired a coach and it has totally changed my training.  He uses Daniels VDOT tables for training paces and "I-pace" is now a curse word for me.  ;)  The run leg of races has improved significantly for me now including setting a 10K run PR (open or tri) at the end of an Olympic tri in August!

PR times:  (a bit old - I'm pretty sure I could beat all of these if I went out and raced)
5K - 20:51 
10K - 45:10 
HM - 1:38:10 
Marathon - never done one other than the run of IMMT, no desire to ever do one! 

As someone who was a runner before a cyclist or a swimmer, I am always amazed at people who first cover 26.2 miles AFTER 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 of biking for the first time.  It's hard for me to wrap my brain around that :)

I decided at the end of my tri season that I was going to train for a marathon again to get my running fitness back to where it was prekids, but I've since read a number of things to suggest that might not be the best route.  I still am going to do the marathon, because I want to do that for different reasons, but it never would have occurred to me that to have a better run at the end of my HIM, I should really focus on my 5K http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Moving_up_in_AG..._need_more_speed!_P4759004/

I don't post on ST, but I do read threads over there and thought that one might be relevant to our discussion.

2013-09-17 8:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

For a background,

I grew up more in fast acting team sports. Soccer and basketball mostly, but could play anything. Did ride the bike around a bit, but it was more ride hard a few minutes, wait for everyone to catch up, do it again (I'm the oldest). In Jr High School ran a little track and cross country. Mostly to help with conditioning for the other sports. Relatively terrible on the track, couldn't find the motivation for that extra gear like out on the fields. Cross country was either the 5th runner or an extra to push other teams back a little more when we had enough people (small school). Endurance was kind of meh, not overly interesting as I wanted to go as fast as possible.

Picked up more weight lifting in college and finally added some size, getting all the way up to about 225. A little bit after graduating, continually lifting a pile of iron became less interesting. I could pick up and move anything around the house I could get a grip on, so what else was I going to do with it? Remembered wanting to get a new mountain bike after college, so did that and began a shift back over towards these activities. I still had the explosive speed from the team sports, so it was more a change in shape as opposed to getting in shape. Did some running here and there, nothing serious. Really needed a break from the win or go home attitude of the team sports, so just went out to enjoy it. Not really much of an idea of what I was doing, so definitely was going much too hard.

Got into triathlon after a friend of remarkably similar size & ability did and liked it. Swimming actually wasn't so bad. Finally started organizing things some and it all took off. I've never really focused on a running race. Nothing more than going easy a few days before. Generally push well in them, but not quite all in. Mainly out there because it's fun. I don't want to get caught up in racing too much and lose that feeling. Down to around 180 now (for a little while, really) and it feels more natural, don't think I'm supposed to be a big guy. At least outside of the endurance world. Have been lighter at times, but it takes a lot of effort to do so.

2013-09-17 8:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

I'm the same way.  If I run below a certain pace I feel like the deterioration in my natural stride generates more pounding.  On my last long run I felt worse halfway through than at a minute/mile faster pace.  I experimented a bit with my form but nothing really felt natural or sustainable.  When I did my last IM, it was easier and more comfortable to take walk breaks then it was to slow my run pace down.

I usually do my long runs (up to 18 so far) at M pace or slightly faster.  I think they end up being something more than an easy run though as I would not have relished the prospect of going another 8 miles.  It is a toughy for me because I know I lack a bit of endurance.  I started taking iron as I have been anemic and was hoping that had something to do with things going south late in the long runs.

I know it is possible to train for greater economy on the faster side of the spectrum but learning economy on the other end has eluded me.

Interested in reading this section now. I've certainly felt a difference in my running in the 7:30-8:00 range. For some reason, my form does seem to change in this pace range. Once I was strong enough to regularly put in some mileage in the mid to low 7's things seemed to take a good jump forward. When doing easier running at 8 or above I try, but still feel my form slipping back a bit later in the run. Estimated marathon pace would be a bit much all the time, but wonder if more often would be ok. Although I could take the obvious answer to this and do lots of running until even the easiest ones are done at ~7:30.

2013-09-17 10:00 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Could I make a request that when we refer to the book we use page numbers when at all possible? 

I pulled the quote from a JD article that I found online but the book refers to it on page 36.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1884 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1725 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.