BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-12-30 10:58 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN
Hi Dan,

Welcome on board. With three kids and two under 5 sounds like your time management will rival mine. Good luck with 2014.

Sean

2013-12-30 11:32 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Good Monday Morning Everyone!!!

I need major help with my confidence on the bike. The clipping in has ruined my biking enjoyment. Every time I stop, I become anxious about getting going again. Especially on an incline. Any suggestions? Should I just go back to normal pedals?

Adrian - I can't imagine training when it's so cold. It's going to be 85 today where I live!

Arend - Thank you for the training links! It's easy to upload from my Garmin to it!

My workout week: M - bike/run 5, T - swim 2000 yds, W - run 5, TH - swim 60 min, F - rest, Sat - 12 miles

Have a terrific day!

Donna
2013-12-30 11:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies
Originally posted by Gizmosmom

About bikes....

Could someone give me an idea of how much I would need to spend for a bike? I am new to biking (swimming and running are my favourite legs).
I certainly don't need top of the line. I'm wary about buying through ebay or kijiji since I don't have the foggiest notion about maintenance or repairs at this point.

Would anyone mind sharing how much they paid for their bikes?

Thanks,
Brenda

I bought a Trek 1.2 at the beginning of last season. I needed a bike for commuting during the summer and I thought that having a road bike would be fun.

Its an entry level road bike and I love riding it. I got some fit assistance in the LBS that sold it to me and it is very comfortable.

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/2012/archive/trek/1_2_h2_compa...

I got the 2012 version for $779 CAD at the start of the 2013 season. It’s ideal for me as I can progressively upgrade it as my budget allows. Clip less pedals are next. The Bontrager Race VR-C handlebars are clip on aero compatible which will come after that. Features like the compact crank makes it easy to get up to speed and helps with hill climbing.

Edited by badmo77a 2013-12-30 11:57 AM
2013-12-30 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Dan!  First, I'd like to say that 30 is not old....I just turned 30 this year as well and I like to think I'm not old

Your training plan (BarryP 6x a week, swimming 2-3x a week, and biking 3-4x a week) is very similar to what I do and have had some good success with it.  I hope it will work out nicely for you as well.  How's your running going?  Sounds like that's the one you have the least experience in....build slowly, keep it easy, and stay healthy!

2013-12-30 12:10 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by luvschips Good Monday Morning Everyone!!! I need major help with my confidence on the bike. The clipping in has ruined my biking enjoyment. Every time I stop, I become anxious about getting going again. Especially on an incline. Any suggestions? Should I just go back to normal pedals? Adrian - I can't imagine training when it's so cold. It's going to be 85 today where I live! Arend - Thank you for the training links! It's easy to upload from my Garmin to it! My workout week: M - bike/run 5, T - swim 2000 yds, W - run 5, TH - swim 60 min, F - rest, Sat - 12 miles Have a terrific day! Donna

Donna, getting used to clipless pedals can be a little intimidating and scary at first, but with time, it becomes second nature.  Keep at it!  If you can find an area with minimal / no traffic that is fairly flat (an empty parking lot, a cul-de-sac, a bike path, etc), practice there for a while until it doesn't phase you anymore.  You might well start and stop more than you're actually riding just so you can get used to it.

2013-12-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Lady Magoo

I am a little floored by the potential expenses associated with the sport. I want to get to the starting line with somewhat decent equipment but don't want to look so shiny that people have such great expectations of me! - ha ha!

Kelly -- When I did my first (and only) sprint tri back in 2013, my biggest expense was a decent pair of running shoes - $100. I bought a pair or tri shorts $50 and my kids got me a really nice pair of swim goggles for $50. I rode, and still ride, a 20 yr old Peugot 12 speed. No matter what you wear/ride, you won't feel out of place -- folks were wearing every level of gear you could imagine.

FWIW, my advice would be to spend as little as possible for your first couple of events and if/when you get hooked, start adding to your equipment a piece at a time.

Scott

Edited by ssgreer 2013-12-30 12:18 PM

2013-12-30 12:17 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by luvschips Good Monday Morning Everyone!!! I need major help with my confidence on the bike. The clipping in has ruined my biking enjoyment. Every time I stop, I become anxious about getting going again. Especially on an incline. Any suggestions? Should I just go back to normal pedals? Adrian - I can't imagine training when it's so cold. It's going to be 85 today where I live! Arend - Thank you for the training links! It's easy to upload from my Garmin to it! My workout week: M - bike/run 5, T - swim 2000 yds, W - run 5, TH - swim 60 min, F - rest, Sat - 12 miles Have a terrific day! Donna

Donna, getting used to clipless pedals can be a little intimidating and scary at first, but with time, it becomes second nature.  Keep at it!  If you can find an area with minimal / no traffic that is fairly flat (an empty parking lot, a cul-de-sac, a bike path, etc), practice there for a while until it doesn't phase you anymore.  You might well start and stop more than you're actually riding just so you can get used to it.

This is great advice, practice, practice, practice!  

Things that I have found can help are to unclip early and often - by often I mean if you are coming up to somewhere that there is a decent chance you will have to stop then unclip a few seconds early, don't wait until you *have* to.  If you don't have to actually stop then you just clip back in (more practice).  When you are coming up to a stop, make sure you put yourself in an easy gear to get started again before coming to a stop.  There is nothing worse than being on an incline and being in a big gear that is difficult to get going again in and worrying about getting clipped in at the same time.

2013-12-30 12:26 PM

User image

Ha, first day of training Saturday was good in that it felt good to push myself. This was the first ride I've been on since we moved to our new house a year ago and made an astounding discovery:

Going up hills in a car is much easier than on a bike.

Woke up with a low level headache Sunday that I could never shake so today I'll be doing SBR to catch up on the missed workout. Shouldn't be a problem since total workout time is barely over an hour at this point.

Not sure what a Master's swim program is but I'll bet Google can tell me :-)

Scott
2013-12-30 12:28 PM

Hello,

I would love to join this group if there is still room.

I am a 30 year old female with an awesome boyfriend and a dog but no kids.

I have a background in running although my longest distance is 10k and I haven't run since September. I work in a very demanding job time wise so finding time to train will be my biggest challenge, although I am committed to making the time I have available count. I am not worried too much about the run or bike legs but the swim is definitely going to be my biggest hurdle. I have taken swimming lessons, so have gotten much better, but I still have a long way to go to feel comfortable in the water.

I have registered for my first sprint tri in July 2014. I have wanted to achieve the goal of finishing a sprint tri for several years but keep getting sidetracked, 2014 is my year! I just want to be able to finish with a smile on my face. Look forward to the mentorship of this group!
2013-12-30 12:41 PM

User image

Welcome Dan.

I don't have any kids, and I'm not sure how those who do find the time to train consistently.  It can be done, but it does take a lot of flexibility and support from your family which it seems you have.  Your trainer will likely be your best friend and worst enemy , and using the BarryP running plan is always a wise move IMO.  The BarryP running plan, or at least the theory behind it is something I also want to discuss within this group.  Running 6x a week is not for everyone, but I think it's important to understand how it could be beneficial and how you can adapt your current running schedule to leverage some of it's principles.

2013-12-30 12:42 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Donna -- here's my Garmin Connect link:

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/sgreer

I currently only use Garmin for bike rides as I'm still in the treadmill stage of running. Want to build my legs up and lose a few pounds before I subect myself to the pounding of pavement.

2013-12-30 12:50 PM

User image

About clipping in...it's just practice.  Think of it like buckling your seat belt.  When you did it for the first time as a kid, you have to look for the belt, reach back, then watch yourself clip it in...sometimes it took a few tries.  Now you can do it without even looking.  Reach back with one hand, pull over, and click it in usually on the first try.  You do it multiple times a day, everyday, and it becomes second nature.

1.  Practice on the trainer if you have one.  Get to the point where you can do it without looking. 
2.  As Arend mentioned, unclip in advance.
3.  When you are at a stop, make sure you are in an appropriate gear.  That first half pedal stroke you take to get moving is key.  You don't want it to be too difficult where you can't push, or too easy where that half stroke doesn't build up enough speed to coast so you can clip in.
4.  EVERYONE FALLS.  I fell over at least 6 times in my first month of clipless pedals.

2013-12-30 12:51 PM

I would like to join as well if still room.

Name:
Trevor Van Norman

Story:
Fairly consistent but casual runner. I run about 4 half marathons a year just to stay in shape and to travel. Getting a little sick of mainly only running for exercise and have always been intrigued by triathlon. I did start Masters Swim last fall at my local gym and swim 2-3 times per week and enjoy it. I used to mountain bike quite a bit in college and early adulthood, but 20 years ago.

Getting married in October to a wonderful girl and running/triathlon partner. Also, have 10 year old son who is with us every other week.

Goals:
Compete in 2-3 short triathlons in 2014, consider half IM for 2015. 2-3 half marathons. Eat healthier and lose 15-25 pounds. Develop an annual plan with goals and stick to it. Learn to use equipment and technology to improve performance, accountability, and fitness level.

2014 Races:
Kentucky Derby half marathon (4/19)
Kansas City Triathlon/Sprint (5/18)
Seattle half marathon (6/21)
Shawnee Mission Triathlon/Sprint (7/13)
Jackson County Triathlon/Olympic (8/24)

Trevor Van Norman
2013-12-30 1:07 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

For anyone interested in the BarryP running plan, attached (or below, however docs are posted here) is a calculator I found somewhere that is helpful.  Enter your current weekly run mileage and it will calculate your short, medium, and long run distances and add 10% each week.  The first chart is what I found, but the second chart I modified so the total weekly mileage number is the sum of the run distances (the first chart wasn't completely accurate because of rounding issues).  

Attachments
----------------
BarryP.xlsx (13KB - 10 downloads)
2013-12-30 1:08 PM
in reply to: Gizmosmom

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies

Originally posted by Gizmosmom About bikes.... Could someone give me an idea of how much I would need to spend for a bike? I am new to biking (swimming and running are my favourite legs). I certainly don't need top of the line. I'm wary about buying through ebay or kijiji since I don't have the foggiest notion about maintenance or repairs at this point. Would anyone mind sharing how much they paid for their bikes? Thanks, Brenda

There are three main questions you have to ask yourself when buying a bike.

1.  What type of bike do I want?  Standard road bike, relaxed road bike, tri bike, etc.  I would suggest most people start off with a standard road bike.  It's extremely versitile and even if you buy a tri bike later, you likely can still use your road bike for general training, commuting, etc.  Some people do just fine with only a tri bike, but it is designed for a very specific purpose...going fast in a straight line. 

2.  What is your budget?  Keep in mind that it's not just the bike you need to purchase.  You need a helmet, bike clothing (jersey and shorts), a pump, a few tools, a kit to repair flats, bottle cages, pedals, shoes, etc.  Generally, if you don't have anything right now, I would set aside at least $200 for the accessory stuff.

3.  Do you want to buy new or used.  Buying used can save you a lot of money if you know exactly what you are looking for, including how to fit the bike to your specs.  Shopping new makes it easier to try a wide variety of bikes and different sizes.  Bike shops also usually throw in a basic fitting to adjust your seat height and position, and maybe adjust the height of the bars.  Buying new may also come with the benefit of a discount on any accessories you buy, maybe a free tune up, and a valid warranty. 

Typically, if you're looking for a brand new entry level road bike, I'd look to spend around $1000 on just the bike as a rough ball park.  You can go lower and do just fine, or spend closer to $1500 if you want.  But for $1000, you're typically going to get something of quality that will last a long time.  It's also the type of bike that has good market for resale. 

Feel free to ask questions...I know the process can be a bit indimidating.

2013-12-30 1:42 PM

User image

, Georgia
Subject: swim question
I have been back in the pool this week for the first time in years. I do have some swim experience having swum on a team as a child through my late teens but that was decades ago! I have been using my shiny new Garmin 910 to capture my information. I feel really slow and awkward, but some other folks asked me how I swim so fast. So my average pace is 1:38-1:42 ish per/100m and I am doing about 10-11 strokes per length. What is considered slow, average, fast etc.? I feel like I am barely moving and struggling. I figure I will get much faster as I continue to practice.

Thanks,
Lynn

2013-12-30 1:56 PM
in reply to: tvannorman

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Lcarslake and Trevor!

Lcarslake (first name?) — registering for your first race is a huge motivator to keep at it. 2014 will be your year! A demanding job can make things more difficult, but there are ways to fit the training in. Are your hours fairly consistent, or do they vary significantly? You mentioned that swimming is not your strength — do you have access to a Master’s program? I find that squeezing a couple sessions early in the morning during the week a great way to make the time for it and improve your swimming.

Trevor — sounds like your background is well-suited for triathlons! I’m excited that you’ve already figured out your race schedule, have been a consistent runner, are swimming with a Master’s program, and used to mountain bike. I think you’re going to have a blast!

2013-12-30 1:59 PM
in reply to: ssgreer

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ssgreerNot sure what a Master's swim program is but I'll bet Google can tell me :-) Scott

A Master's swim program is basically group swimming for adults.  It varies by program -- some coaches will post a workout and then it's up to everyone to do it.  Some programs will have a coach on deck who provides the workout and will give feedback.  I've found swimming with others to be a great way to improve....you're always pushing yourself to catch that person who's just a little bit faster than you!  Plus, if you find one with a coach on deck, they can give you pointers for things you struggle with.

A Master's program, however, is unlikely to give you individual attention.  For someone truly just starting to swim, a few private lessons is probably the way to go.

2013-12-30 1:59 PM
in reply to: Lynn!

User image

Originally posted by Lynn! I have been back in the pool this week for the first time in years. I do have some swim experience having swum on a team as a child through my late teens but that was decades ago! I have been using my shiny new Garmin 910 to capture my information. I feel really slow and awkward, but some other folks asked me how I swim so fast. So my average pace is 1:38-1:42 ish per/100m and I am doing about 10-11 strokes per length. What is considered slow, average, fast etc.? I feel like I am barely moving and struggling. I figure I will get much faster as I continue to practice. Thanks, Lynn

Compared to competitive swimmers, you would be slow.  Compared to triathletes, you'd be well above average, but pretty far from the first guys and gals out of the water.  Compared to me, at the peak of my swim fitness, we would be about the same.    I suspect with a few months in the water though, you'd pick up some of that "feel" and speed that you likely had before and be closer to "fast." for triathletes.

2013-12-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: Lynn!

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: swim question

Originally posted by Lynn! I have been back in the pool this week for the first time in years. I do have some swim experience having swum on a team as a child through my late teens but that was decades ago! I have been using my shiny new Garmin 910 to capture my information. I feel really slow and awkward, but some other folks asked me how I swim so fast. So my average pace is 1:38-1:42 ish per/100m and I am doing about 10-11 strokes per length. What is considered slow, average, fast etc.? I feel like I am barely moving and struggling. I figure I will get much faster as I continue to practice. Thanks, Lynn

Lynn, those times are actually quite good -- and given that you're feeling awkward and slow means they're only going to get better with more time in the water!  Middle of pack (MOP) times are probably in the 2:00/100 range.  Swim speeds vary widely (especially in open water) with slower swimmers in the 3:XX/100 range to the fishes (like Arend!) in the 1:1X/100 range.

2013-12-30 2:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by ssgreerNot sure what a Master's swim program is but I'll bet Google can tell me :-) Scott

A Master's swim program is basically group swimming for adults.  It varies by program -- some coaches will post a workout and then it's up to everyone to do it.  Some programs will have a coach on deck who provides the workout and will give feedback.  I've found swimming with others to be a great way to improve....you're always pushing yourself to catch that person who's just a little bit faster than you!  Plus, if you find one with a coach on deck, they can give you pointers for things you struggle with.

A Master's program, however, is unlikely to give you individual attention.  For someone truly just starting to swim, a few private lessons is probably the way to go.

That's a pretty good general description.  Think of it like a spin class at the gym.  Generally there is an instructor that guides the workout, but you may or may not receive any individual attention.  In general, everyone is just there for a workout.  That doesn't mean you can't learn though.  If there is a coach on deck, sometimes you can just ask them for a few pointers before or after the workout, or ask the people you're swimming with if they notice anything you can work on.

I learned to swim (proper front crawl/freestyle) at masters.  We did have 2 coaches on deck, and one coach was dedicated to the slow guys still learning.  So I was lucky in that sense.

2013-12-30 2:12 PM

User image

, Georgia
Yes I am hoping to start feeling a bit more comfortable as time passes. I will be very interested to see how this translates to open water swims. I have a lake near by that I will be utilizing once the weather warms up!
2013-12-30 2:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Hi there,

I hate to be THAT girl but I am computer confused. If I hover over "training log" above, and add my daily workout, will everyone be able to see my workout? On my end it says the notes are private. Can someone offer a quick, little tutorial? Thanks for your help.

Kelly
2013-12-30 2:37 PM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Originally posted by Lady Magoo Hi there, I hate to be THAT girl but I am computer confused. If I hover over "training log" above, and add my daily workout, will everyone be able to see my workout? On my end it says the notes are private. Can someone offer a quick, little tutorial? Thanks for your help. Kelly

It looks like your logs are public, but you can double check your settings by clicking in the upper right corner that has your username.  Then click under settings, and click on Trainin Log Settings.  Under "Privacy," it shows the options for who can see your training log.

When entering Health data, the comments section is always private.  I don't think you can change that.  If you wanted to enter in general health comments for others to see, you can type it in in the "blog" section of your daily log, or in the notes section of a specific workout..

Hope that helps.

2013-12-30 2:58 PM
in reply to: ssgreer

Thanks, Scott. That's good to know. I have heard about tri suits that you can wear for all 3 events w/o having to transition. That sounds like a good deal!
Kelly
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16