BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-12-29 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN
Good Morning!

Does anyone else use Garminconnect? It would be encouraging to me to add people or make a group of us and see your workouts too, Cross training today with an easy "rest day" hike.

Edited by luvschips 2013-12-29 9:11 AM

2013-12-29 9:20 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Welcome Mo and Jack.

Can I ask everyone a huge favor.  If your screen name doesn't clearly imply your real name, can you end your posts by typing out your real name.  It just helps everyone reply back to each other on a first name basis.  THANKS!

As for logging workouts for others to see, I don't always upload to garmin connect, but do upload all my rides to Strava.  Not sure if all of you are familiar with that site (www.strava.com), but if you are, you can follow me as I can be found by searching my full name (Jason Nakayama).  If there are two of us...I'm the one from Hawaii. 

2013-12-29 9:24 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

I know a couple of you have hinted that you needed help selecting a training plan.  While this is one of the topics I plan to discuss shortly, I will start off by saying that unless you are working directly with a coach, there is likely not to be one perfect online plan for you.  So don't be afraid to make adjustments where necessary.  If you are an experienced runner, but don't care for a plan that only has you running 3x a week...then it's okay to schedule in more running.

2013-12-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

, Georgia
Donna,

I use Garmin connect also. Here is a link to my profile feel free to add me.

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/LynnMPK

Lynn
2013-12-29 11:01 AM
in reply to: Neithanar

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome to the group, Jack!  I'm glad to hear that changes in 2013 will allow you to finally do what you've wanted since 2006!  What's the tri community and training like in Krakow?  Good access to swimming, biking, and running?  Do cold winters keep you indoors?

2013-12-29 2:30 PM

Awesome, looking forward to getting info on scheduling- Thanks!

2013-12-29 4:36 PM

User image

Nicole,
Thanks for the reply!
There is no tri group at my school, though I do know a few other students that have completed some sprint triathlons. There is a tri group in my area ( I live in the Hudson Valley, in New York about an hour from New York City) but I have not had any contact with them. Once school ends, I'll definitely be looking into that if I stay local.
I have an old mountain bike that I am riding at the moment, which I pulled hybrid type tires on instead of sticking with the thicker tires. I don't have a stationary trainer, but was looking into getting one- it would definitely help with getting on the bike in the winter. I also really like the spin classes at my gym, so I'll work on getting to them more often after the holidays.
I'm interested to read the discussion on training plans...right now I've just been going day by day with workouts.
-Samantha
2013-12-30 3:36 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Hi Nicole, 

In this year winter is very kind for us, there is no snow and frost in December - unusual
Access to swimming pools in my area is excelent, i have three nice sports facilities near my home - with gym, and 6x25m swimlanes - the only problem is they are very crowded... There is a lot of planning with schedules (free spot on lane), free time in work, at home - so i do not swim to often - i've got to do something about it
Runing is simpliest to organize, there is a lot run path near river or in the park's where people jog even very late at night (11pm).
Cycling is more complicated - bicycle path in city center are in very poor condition, car traffic is horrible all the time, so i have to go bit of town to make a training - so, long rides only at sundays

Tri - community - there is strong cyclist amateur training group (called OCT - Open Cyclist Training) and a lot of runner clubs in Kraków - but nothing amateur (and free) for tri actually.

Regards

2013-12-30 6:52 AM
in reply to: Neithanar

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Happy Monday everyone!  

I hope everyone had a good weekend and was able to get some training in.  Myself I went for a short run on Saturday and was supposed to do a longer ride on the trainer but didn't get a chance to fit it in so it was done Sunday morning instead.  I also went for a longer run on Sunday afternoon, not ideal to do on the same day as a longer trainer ride and I felt it in my legs for sure!

2013-12-30 7:29 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have compiled a list of who has joined so far with usernames, actual names and a link to their training log.  Someone mentioned Garmin Connect earlier and that can be a great option but BT also has a friends option where you can keep track of others training and comment on that they are doing using the Inspire function.  You can find the friends list under the Community menu at the top of the page or also from your training log along the right hand side.  

2014 Rookies

Jason NJasonaxteraaArend
ligersandtionsNicoleLynn!Lynn
badmo77aAdrianTheresaMTheresa
sammerjamSamanthaJerry AJerry
ssgreerScottparit50Debby
GizmosmomBrendaLady MagooKelly
luvschipsDonnamothorntonMo
NeithanarJack  

2013-12-30 7:34 AM
in reply to: Gizmosmom

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - Room for 1 more?

Originally posted by Gizmosmom Hi Arend, Thanks for the answers. I also remembered a colleague at work who cycles so I will ask him for some advice on bikes and bike stores in Montreal.

Brenda, I asked a friend here on BT (marcag) for bike shop recommendations in Montreal and this is what he said.

---

Cycle Technique is very good. They are not that "beginner friendly" in that they don't have a lot of lower end stuff. It also depends on who the sales guy is. 
If she is on the west island, there is a place called Paul's cycle that is very service oriented. 
If more downtownish I like Momentum. They are the official sponsors of our tri club. Honest guys with good service. They have a tendency to push Marin and BMC bikes. 

There is Primeau in Laval that has a good selection of brands. Same with Boutique Courir downtown. But you need to get the right sales guy, of course. Jocelyn at Boutique courir knows his stuff. 
I believe Boutique courrir gives 10% off to tri-quebec members (need to check this) so it's probably worth joining if so. 

---

I hope that helps in your quest for a new bike!  

2013-12-30 8:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Jason N

What type of training do you all have coming up?

I'm going to be a broken record with my workouts...I just bike...pretty much everyday.  I did have a nice hard group ride today, and riding with a smaller group tomorrow as more of a recovery ride.

This week looks tough for workouts. Lots of family meals consuming evenings and the warmest day of the next 5 is a high of -7.

I hope to get on my spin bike for a good session on Wednesday plus a few other days this week. Plus an hour swim session sometime this week. Sunday is promising a +4 temp so that will be a running day for sure.

Then come next week when the kids are back to school I can get more structured.

EDITED: for awful spelling

Edited by badmo77a 2013-12-30 8:30 AM
2013-12-30 8:35 AM

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies
Hi, hoping to get some help, motivation and feeling I'm not the only one floundering towards my 2014 goals.

Name: Sean (aged 49)

Story: Based in the UK. I started train for Ironman back in 2012. Having a background in County Badminton untill late thrities and then ultra runing (a few very very slow 50 - 60 mile races (no more than 1 a year) Injured shoulder trail running and had to give up on Ironman Wales in favour of a shoulder op.
By Jan 2013 turned to frozen shoulder as well. Started training but swimming very very weak and worse for shoulder problems. Completed 1/2 Ironman in July - the swim scared the life out of me but I did managed it. Fell off bike badly in August reinjuring shoulder and knees (already dodgy). Decided at last moment to do IM Wales (suitably strapped up by disbelieving physio) completed swim in 1.50 and then 103 miles into bike I was pulled from race an hour prior to cut off - absolutely devastated. Another shoulder operation in November and here I am ready to try again for Ironman Wales in September and contemplating an IM (City to Summit) at beginning of June.

Family status: Married, 2 boys 17 and 7

Work: Long days out at 7.30am, home 8pm

2014 races: IM Wales and maybe City to Summit Ironman. Maybe a 1/2 IM instead/as well.

Weight loss: Not too much of a concern maybe 6Ibs tops but happy at 12.5 stone

Looking for assistance to boost my dodgy confidence, help on training advice and just general group of people who want to encourage each other.

Training Plan: Using bespoke training plan. Base plan from the 5th and then IM plan from March. May have been too ambitious as chose Improver though as you can see I am a pretty slow rookie.

Sean
2013-12-30 8:39 AM

Arend, you are the best! Thank you!

My quest for bike begins this week. Cycling is my weakest sport. Absolutely no experience (other than riding my old mountain bike around from time to time).

Brenda

2013-12-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: weirdfish

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Welcome Sean, that's quite the adventure you have had so far!

Long work hours like that must make it difficult to find time to train, especially for IM!  What is your training schedule like now and/or prior to the IM?

2013-12-30 8:46 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Gizmosmom Arend, you are the best! Thank you! My quest for bike begins this week. Cycling is my weakest sport. Absolutely no experience (other than riding my old mountain bike around from time to time). Brenda

Great, good luck!  Take your time and do some research before committing to anything.  Watch out for those pushy sales guys!

2013-12-30 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome, Sean!  Have you done any shorter races?  Maybe signing up for an early season sprint and completing it would help to boost the confidence.  It sounds like swimming (especially in open water) is something you would consider a weakness -- do you have access to a Master's group or an instructor of any sorts?  While the swim is the shortest (distance and time) leg of a race, having a solid swim helps set you up for a good bike and run. 

2013-12-30 9:33 AM

User image

Welcome Sean.

Arend, thanks for putting the list together.  By my count, we've got 13 members.  Let's shoot for a few more before closing up.

2013-12-30 10:01 AM

User image

Hi Training is a little mad cap especially with kids and helping with chores around house (wife has a bad back). I often put in an hour or two between 10 and mid-night during the week (getting to bed around 1am!!) and maybe a couple of lunch time gym/swim sessions. Could be 1 session or 4 sessions depends on work and number of meetings. Weekends I get out around 5am on Sunday morning for a 3-4 hr bike depending on plan requirements. I coach kids football on a Saturday morning so probably a long run in the evening. Usually try to rest up on a Monday.

Right now I am not doing anything - with shoulder and Christmas -kind of lost my mojo but set up a plan now to start next week. So hoping this will kick my backside into a start.

How about you - how is your training going? Do you have a plan?

Sean
2013-12-30 10:10 AM

User image

To be honest time is limited so too many races are out. Really don't fancy all out sprint as will put too much pressure on shoulder/knees right now. Will perhaps take your advice and look for an Olympic will definitely do a few more sportives. Masters is out because of work but have had swim lessons and too be honest I have been hampered throughout 2013 with the shoulder. Still sore but I now have full movement so even now hitting 2.11 per 100 not fast I know but I managed 3,000m a few weeks back without getting really out of breath - shoulder moaned like a good'un but that's to be expected. I had a lot of swim lessons and to be honest they were the only reason I made it round. Will take your advice and get a few more in.

Would love somebody to take a look at my plan and tell me I am mad and to cut some of it out or say yes that works.

Do you think two IM one 1 June and the other 14 Sept is a bit ambitious - given my history - perhaps dont answer that I suspect I know the answer already.

Great to be on board and thanks for the reply

2013-12-30 10:13 AM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
I am interested in joining this group if there is still room.

NAME: Dan

STORY: I have never really been consistently active. I swam in high school, but was never very fast and competed more for exercise motivation and camaraderie than anything else. I biked out of necessity in college but never for exercise. The only time I have really run is if someone was chasing me.

I have been generally overweight since high school, and because of demanding schooling and professional career, exercise continually took a back seat and my physique showed it. Around the time my second child was born, I did P90X and dropped almost 40 pounds. I kept that off by being more careful with what I ate and exercising sporadically until last Christmas time when I stopped being as diligent in my eating and stopped exercising all together causing me to gain about 20-25 pounds back.

My boss at my previous job completed a couple of Ironman races while I worked with him, and although he never encouraged me to do triathlons, he kind of put the idea in my mind. I switched jobs in May and my schedule is much more consistent now, which makes scheduling workouts easier. At the end of July I decided that I wanted to complete a triathlon, and because it was too late in the season (I didn't want to have a bad first experience) I determined that 2014 would be my first triathlon year. In hindsight, this decision may have been partly motivated by my foray in to old man status (I turned 30 a couple months after my decision...), though I claim any old man motivation was all subconscious. I started "running" (a slow, sad, pathetic jog) and got a cheap used road bike. Between August and the end of November I had dropped 20-25 pounds and was seeing some improvement. I took December easy an saw about 5 pounds come back (pesky holidays...).

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 princesses (6 and 3) and another princess coming any day now. My wife is very supportive, and my oldest daughter is excited to do a kids triathlon with me toward the end of the summer.

CURRENT TRAINING: Worked on building an aerobic base in August-November. Took it fairly easy in December and am ready to get back in the game. I know things will get interesting as soon as our baby is born, but my goal is to keep my training consistent even though the time of day may not be. My wife got me a fluid trainer and a 910xt for Christmas, so now I have no excuse to not train and track. My training plan for the next few months is to focus on running by running 6X a week (BarryP) and work swimming 2-3X a week and biking 3-4X a week around the running workouts. These will all be endurance building and I will plan on adding speedwork later.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Family Thanksgiving run (3.5 mile - very unofficial)

2014 RACES: I'm currently looking at doing Sprint Tris this season - 1 in March, 2 in June, 1 in July, and 2 in August. I will probably also do a couple of 5ks with my wife. Because of church and family responsibilities, I am limited to Saturday races, which are difficult to find locally and make the race schedule not as spaced or consistent as I would like, but such is life.

WEIGHTLOSS: Although I still could stand to lose another 20 pounds or so, my focus right now is on fitness and healthy eating knowing the pounds will come off as I am consistent with both. I'd like to see 10 off before my race in March, and another 10 before the races in June.

Thanks again, and I look forward to the advice and motivation this group will provide.

2013-12-30 10:23 AM

Originally posted by weirdfish

To be honest time is limited so too many races are out. Really don't fancy all out sprint as will put too much pressure on shoulder/knees right now. Will perhaps take your advice and look for an Olympic will definitely do a few more sportives. Masters is out because of work but have had swim lessons and too be honest I have been hampered throughout 2013 with the shoulder. Still sore but I now have full movement so even now hitting 2.11 per 100 not fast I know but I managed 3,000m a few weeks back without getting really out of breath - shoulder moaned like a good'un but that's to be expected. I had a lot of swim lessons and to be honest they were the only reason I made it round. Will take your advice and get a few more in.

Would love somebody to take a look at my plan and tell me I am mad and to cut some of it out or say yes that works.

Do you think two IM one 1 June and the other 14 Sept is a bit ambitious - given my history - perhaps dont answer that I suspect I know the answer already.

Great to be on board and thanks for the reply

HI Sean,
Just wanted to say hello. As far as boosting your confidence, you can be a great help to those of us who are new. Sounds like you are quite accomplished, dedicated, and tenacious! That is no small feat. Best of luck.
Brenda
2013-12-30 10:36 AM

About bikes....

Could someone give me an idea of how much I would need to spend for a bike? I am new to biking (swimming and running are my favourite legs).
I certainly don't need top of the line. I'm wary about buying through ebay or kijiji since I don't have the foggiest notion about maintenance or repairs at this point.

Would anyone mind sharing how much they paid for their bikes?

Thanks,
Brenda
2013-12-30 10:42 AM

User image

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the hello. Sounds like we will be able to help each other along. Your swimming sounds pretty good (better than mine). Really think you can work towards Sprint and half marathon. Aim high and don't let anyone tell you, you cant do it! The swim will help with the running and sounds like you must have a fair amount of stamina anyway. Just need time on feet for your first half marathon.

Let me know how you are getting on. There is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment crossing the finish line of your first event and to do it twice in same year will be just great.

Sean
2013-12-30 10:56 AM

User image

I paid about £1,000 for mine new but looking back I maybe should have bought on e-bay as I just looked for a bike with good reviews and then went for a previous years model buying from the web (Went into a bike shop first and got a rough idea from the assistance as to size of bike needed). I have no idea about maintenance repair but found the local bike shop really helpful and soon made friends with local cyclists who helped me out (they could not believe I rode for 6 mth on tyres at around 80lbs because I only had a hand held bike pump and not a proper track pump or that after around 18mths the bike shop had never seen such a worn chain and cogs - all needed replacing ).

Go into a decent bike shop find the right size for you and get a previous year model. If you can get Carbon frame then do so. Get a bike fit - thats a must.

Good luck.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16