BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-01-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open

Originally posted by nicole14e Went home last night and did a few weight moves, followed by 30 minutes of yoga using the app called Down Dog. I really do not like yoga/am the least flexible person, but I know I need to do it. ...

I know it's going to sound crazy, but have you tried hot yoga?  I used to hate yoga as well, basically because everything I did in it, which was to help loosen me up/strengthen the core/ultimately make my tight muscles feel better - just made everything feel worse.  Finally after MUCH pushing from wife and friends, I tried a local studio that not only offers hot yoga but at a few different levels including beginner.  The heat sucks at the time you're in it, but it really does help loosen everything up so you can focus on whatever pose it is you're trying to do instead of how much everything hurts from being so tight.  Only then did I get why people that love yoga love it so much.

2018-01-10 10:13 AM

Nashville, Tennessee
John- Thanks for the heads up on that trainer. I actually ended up going with one that the family friend I bought my bike from had laying around. It's a Travel Trac Fluid trainer. It's a little older but she told me she hadn't used it much at all and let it go for $25. I figured for that I could at least give it a run and see if it's decent.

Also, I would be interested in ordering a top if you guys can find the previous order page.

Welcome to everyone who just joined, seems like most of you guys have been involved in this group for quite some time now. Thanks for welcoming us newbies as well.
2018-01-10 10:17 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Happy to see so many familiar faces along with some new ones!

This week is starting out rough. It's my "on call" week so I need to be able to respond within 15 minutes of a page. Yesterday morning I was getting ready for a run when, of course, my pager goes off. So much for that run. Was planning on going for a bike ride this morning however I've been up since 4am after getting a call and I'm still monitoring the issue.  Fortunately I'm in a 5 week rotation so I will have plenty of weeks without this distraction but it does make it tough, especially getting in the pool. I can do some elliptical / stationary bike at the gym in a pinch.

In good news, the new bike I ordered should be in soon! I will post a picture when it does

Anyone else on the west coast thinking of doing Wildflower this year? The event is a one of a kind mix of triathlon and festival. This year they are adding trail running and paddle boarding events.

2018-01-10 11:57 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

New user

Originally posted by Qua17

Mike - This group was founded by a fellow Canuk (SP) so I'm happy to have you! Let's work on the weight loss together - I need to lose 50.

How was the Muskoka 70.3?

Muskoka was rough! My weight had a huge impact on the bike. The hills on that course are non stop, there is little relief out there. I finished, but it was a long 13 mile walk at the end!
2018-01-10 12:29 PM

User image

New user

I'm a couple of days late, but my goals for the week...

2 swims
2 walk/runs
2 bikes (on the trainer, no outdoor cycling hp here in Ottawa for a few more months!)
1 strength session

So far, I've got 1 swim (2400m masters workout) and a spinervals session. Getting on the treadmill tonight for 45 mins, if everything works out.
2018-01-10 1:50 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by nicole14e Went home last night and did a few weight moves, followed by 30 minutes of yoga using the app called Down Dog. I really do not like yoga/am the least flexible person, but I know I need to do it. ...

I know it's going to sound crazy, but have you tried hot yoga?  I used to hate yoga as well, basically because everything I did in it, which was to help loosen me up/strengthen the core/ultimately make my tight muscles feel better - just made everything feel worse.  Finally after MUCH pushing from wife and friends, I tried a local studio that not only offers hot yoga but at a few different levels including beginner.  The heat sucks at the time you're in it, but it really does help loosen everything up so you can focus on whatever pose it is you're trying to do instead of how much everything hurts from being so tight.  Only then did I get why people that love yoga love it so much.

Yes! I did Bikram through a groupon once or twice, and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I cannot afford that on a regular basis, but my gym has a new area (including a sweet new pool) opening next month and from what I understand they will be making one studio capable of hot yoga, which I would definitely like to take advantage of. Not sure if that will be ready when they open the new part of the gym or it's a post-opening project.

2018-01-10 2:06 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

Anyone else on the west coast thinking of doing Wildflower this year? The event is a one of a kind mix of triathlon and festival. This year they are adding trail running and paddle boarding events.

Wildflower looks FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I want to say yes I'm doubting I'd be ready by then but I am thinking that would be an excellent goal for next year!!!

Have you seen the off road bike trail? I can't do much mountain biking as I have no depth perception, but I can do off-road cycling if the trail is pretty smooth....just can't handle narrow trails, ruts or lots of bumps.

Sandi
2018-01-10 5:03 PM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
MRI finally approved!! I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited to go to an appointment at 7am on a holiday (appt is next Monday)!!! I want some darn answers!!

Another plus—my new tattoo is healing well, so hopefully I’ll be swimming again soon!
2018-01-11 9:52 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

MRI finally approved!! I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited to go to an appointment at 7am on a holiday (appt is next Monday)!!! I want some darn answers!!

Another plus—my new tattoo is healing well, so hopefully I’ll be swimming again soon!

Woot! Keep us posted!
2018-01-11 10:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't make it to the gym this morning so I plan on going this evening. Think I will do a short run (possibly run there since it is a toasty 47 degrees out right now), then do a 30 minute HIIT cycling class.
2018-01-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by sandishr

Originally posted by MOlsen Anyone else on the west coast thinking of doing Wildflower this year? The event is a one of a kind mix of triathlon and festival. This year they are adding trail running and paddle boarding events.

Wildflower looks FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As much as I want to say yes I'm doubting I'd be ready by then but I am thinking that would be an excellent goal for next year!!! Have you seen the off road bike trail? I can't do much mountain biking as I have no depth perception, but I can do off-road cycling if the trail is pretty smooth....just can't handle narrow trails, ruts or lots of bumps. Sandi

It is a lot of fun, I really enjoyed spending the afternoon on the lawn listening to live music and enjoying a beer after finishing the sprint course. I've done the mountain bike sprint twice, the bike course changed between the two years due to the lake conditions. Both courses had narrow trail segments so I would imagine the current course would as well.

See my race reports for Garmin tracks:

* http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=487094

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=515615

2018-01-11 5:58 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by MOlsen

Wildflower looks FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I want to say yes I'm doubting I'd be ready by then but I am thinking that would be an excellent goal for next year!!!

Have you seen the off road bike trail? I can't do much mountain biking as I have no depth perception, but I can do off-road cycling if the trail is pretty smooth....just can't handle narrow trails, ruts or lots of bumps.

Sandi

Yea - Sandi is back!
2018-01-11 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

That's great news! Hope they help you figure things out ASAP!
2018-01-11 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
I finally made it to the gym for the first time this year. My PT told me he would only help with my training if I got up and made it happen this morning. Plus, I think if I slack off - he'll pull the plug on doing my training plan. So, I'm gonna try to get up at 4:30 again this morning and try to make it happen two days in a row.
2018-01-11 7:34 PM

User image

I finally made it to the gym for the first time this year. My PT told me he would only help with my training if I got up and made it happen this morning. Plus, I think if I slack off - he'll pull the plug on doing my training plan. So, I'm gonna try to get up at 4:30 again this morning and try to make it happen two days in a row.

YOU CAN DO IT!
2018-01-12 6:04 AM

User image

Expert

YOU CAN DO IT!

I did it! A new record for 2018 - 2n days in a row at the gym. While it's a far cry from where I've been in the past - hopefully, I can continue the streak so I can get back to doing what I love which is triathlons!

Thanks for all the support and accountability!

DQ

2018-01-12 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
It's Friday. What are everyone's plans for the weekend? What beers are on tap for you?
2018-01-12 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back home from traveling, got in some decent work at the Marriott gym.  This morning was an ugly 60' trainer session - this crazy weather has given me a wicked sinus headache.  Hopefully a swim later today.

Tomorrow is about two hours at the gym...spin class, 30' on the treadmill, then some core work.  Sunday is a planned off day, which usually involved lots of chores around the house.    I think we're going to see The Post sometime this weekend, too.  Oh, and I'm sure there will be some beer involved at many of those activities (except for the gym, though they do sell beer there during the summer LOL).

2018-01-12 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 I finally made it to the gym for the first time this year. My PT told me he would only help with my training if I got up and made it happen this morning. Plus, I think if I slack off - he'll pull the plug on doing my training plan. So, I'm gonna try to get up at 4:30 again this morning and try to make it happen two days in a row.
YOU CAN DO IT!
I did it! A new record for 2018 - 2n days in a row at the gym. While it's a far cry from where I've been in the past - hopefully, I can continue the streak so I can get back to doing what I love which is triathlons! Thanks for all the support and accountability! DQ

Do I hear three?????? 

2018-01-12 10:12 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Made it to the gym yesterday for some elliptical and rowing. Still on call this weekend so I won't be able to do any long distance training but I do hope to get a run in tomorrow morning. Even if it's just a few laps around my neighborhood it's better than nothing!

Beer-wise, as part of my weight loss goals I'm only allowing myself a couple each week so I make sure they are good. I have a couple good DIPA's from Firestone's "Leo v Ursus" series that I plan to partake in. If you like well balanced and flavorful DIPA's and are in range of Firestone's distribution (mainly west coast) I highly recommend checking it out. It's a limited release series with a different recipe each release. So far they have all been excellent and I'm always a bit sad when I drink my last one while waiting for the next quarterly release.

2018-01-12 11:47 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove MRI finally approved!! I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited to go to an appointment at 7am on a holiday (appt is next Monday)!!! I want some darn answers!! Another plus—my new tattoo is healing well, so hopefully I’ll be swimming again soon!

Yay awesome news!!!

2018-01-12 11:48 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17 I finally made it to the gym for the first time this year. My PT told me he would only help with my training if I got up and made it happen this morning. Plus, I think if I slack off - he'll pull the plug on doing my training plan. So, I'm gonna try to get up at 4:30 again this morning and try to make it happen two days in a row.

Yeah great job Dave!!

2018-01-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

YOU CAN DO IT!
I did it! A new record for 2018 - 2n days in a row at the gym. While it's a far cry from where I've been in the past - hopefully, I can continue the streak so I can get back to doing what I love which is triathlons! Thanks for all the support and accountability! DQ

Do I hear three?????? 

YES GO FOR THREE!!!!

2018-01-12 3:55 PM

Nashville, Tennessee
Way to go Dave...YES push for three...

I got a 40 min session on the trainer today for the first time...ever ha Definitely a new experience but actually kind of enjoyed it, but maybe just because it was new. Anyways, I've got Dark Matter brewed by Blackstone Brewery here in Nashville on tap for this weekend. Also, big game for my Titans this weekend against the Patriots. Might as well keep this underdog thing rolling. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2018-01-12 4:33 PM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by EHouse20 Way to go Dave...YES push for three... I got a 40 min session on the trainer today for the first time...ever ha Definitely a new experience but actually kind of enjoyed it, but maybe just because it was new. Anyways, I've got Dark Matter brewed by Blackstone Brewery here in Nashville on tap for this weekend. Also, big game for my Titans this weekend against the Patriots. Might as well keep this underdog thing rolling. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

If you like the trainer time then - great news for you!  For me it's not as bad as the treadmill, esp when I put youtube videos of pro cycling on the laptop, but otherwise..

BTW I will be at said game, in my nosebleed season ticket seat.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 54825 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14079 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363