BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2007-12-11 12:02 AM
in reply to: #1094264

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!

Here's the list, for some reason I've been having trouble with copying and pasting links lately - but, here you go!

• TriAya - Yanti
  • MrsUSMC - Terri
  • Medusa_Ann - Leslie
  • wplummer - Will
  • HCS5QA - Hector
  • ldatug - Laura
  • ShawnC13 - Shawn
  • rreischl - Renee
  • Fielding - Erin
  • lastcall2003 - Beth

edited to add your's truly

Edited by lastcall2003 2007-12-11 12:03 AM

2007-12-11 12:04 AM
in reply to: #1094278

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Thank you, Beth!
2007-12-11 1:30 AM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Melon Presser

As always--lots of different great awesome stuff going on! It really is like a party in here.

BIKE BUYING All the great advice has already been given! I'm hoping the guy at your bike store actually measured you for the Fuji so that you have an idea of the size of bike you want to buy. If not, the suggestion to get measured and fitted (not the pro fit, yet, basically just trying out different bikes) is really good, then trying to find a deal on an older or used model on Ebay or Craigslist. Once you get it, then shell out the $$ for a pro fit ...

SHAWN ON RUN-WALK We're so glad you found this group, too! Thanks for sharing your experience with running and run-walk...

General observation: As a lot of us said, run-walk isn't a wussy deal; it's an amazing system, and as one practices it (energetic and uninjured ) the run gets a LOT higher in proportion to the walk, and it gets much easier to do continuous runs both in training and for short races.

TERRI ON SWIMMING FORM Super congrats on getting through a tough workout! And ... just like running a bit, walking a bit, it's perfectly fine to hang on the walls each 25/50 for a spell, especially when you're doing a difficult drill like not kicking. And while you're focusing on form, it is so worth it to get it right. I was a 10K/day swimmer for many years, and even now, if I feel my form slipping, I slow down and stretch my stroke out in order to get back into it. You've come so far in swimming and the best is yet to come as you keep increasing your distance with that beautiful stroke.

Happy training and fitness gaining, everyone!

2007-12-11 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1093956

Regular
Fielding - 2007-12-10 10:01 PM
ldatug - 2007-12-10 3:16 PM

Okay guys and girls. I need a bike. ... I'm new to triathloning and want to buy a very basic road bike. I went to my local bike shop today and he recommended that Fuji Newest 4.0. He will sell it to me for $429. Is this a good deal? I really don't want to spend too much on a bike at first especially since I have two young kids that eat up all of my extra $$.

I am by no means anything close to an expert when it comes to the bike (um, please don't even look at the bike mileage in my logs -- it's embarrassing), but I do have experience buying a first tri-worthy bike. I went through the same thing as you over the summer -- I had no clue what to look for, couldn't get any good advice anywhere (it felt like the advice in the BT forums was kind of all over the place) and was getting increasingly frustrated and stymmied by all the options out there. Several bike shops I went to didn't even offer road bikes for less than $700, and I couldn't bear to look at all the options on the Internet. At a small LBS I finally found an inexpensive, entry-level road bike, a Raleigh Sport, for a little under $500. I was seriously stressed out and nervous over whether it was the "right" bike and if buying it would be a major mistake. But once I committed to the bike and started riding, I was perfectly happy. Again, taking my opinion with a very large grain of salt, I don't think the quality of the bike makes a whole lot of difference for newbies. I think it's important to get a road bike (for me it was, just because I'd never been on one before, so if/when I want to upgrade someday I'll have experience with the right type of bike) but other than that, go ahead and get the cheap one, I say. My bike is about as entry-level as you can get, and at my one and only race so far, I averaged 19.5 mph and came in fourth on the bike in my age group. Whee!

Erin:

Thanks so much for this.  This is exactly what I'm thinking.  I'll buy a crap bike now and if I really get into this stuff I'll lay a couple grand down in a couple of years.  I'm BRAND NEW to this...I don't need to spend a fortune. 

2007-12-11 8:06 AM

Regular
Yanti Thanks so much!!  You made me smile this morning (and considering I'm about to give a final exam, that's impressive).  I'm definitely going to give the walking interval approach a try.  What I'm doing isn't working very well, so it's certainly worth a shot!
2007-12-11 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I am baffled....I posted here last night and it's not here. Weird.  Anyway...thanks for the input on my training plan and the sprint vs oly vs recovery.  I did go ahead and change the plan as I have it to the sprint plan--I will do my best to wear my HRM and keep the HR in the right zone-I am really trying to incorporate HR training this year and hoping Santa provides me a Garmin to assist in that.  With me, if the program says bike 1 hr 48 min and I can't do it, I get really down on myself, depressed with my inability to manage my hectic life, etc etc and that just isn't a good thing!  This way, by starting around week 13 of the sprint program, the numbers aren't too different for the run, but are lower for the swim and bike--both which I need to maintain fitness in--in swim I need to focus on technique and on bike just on base.....so I think the numbers will actually work out for me.  I ordered some Spinervals DVDs from the library to assist in bike time at home.  I don't have outdoor cycling gear and it is cold and wet here, so I will be indoors for that for the time being (unless of course Santa is super generous-I haven't been that good!)...

My plan is to reasses in mid to end of January (with input from here of course) to figure out how best to get going on the Oly plan.  My first potential Oly is in June, so that gives me a few weeks of wiggle room to either do active recovery after the sprint plan finishes or just get right into it.  I am doing the run focused plan since running tends to be the one thing I can fit into a busy day and it's something I have found I really love to do.  (There's something I never would have thought I'd say).  I am naturally a pretty fast runner so even a  min mile doesn't usually get me winded.  I do need to get better about wearing my HRM, though!  I would appreciate the occasional check of my logs from you guys to make sure I am not pushing too hard.  However keep in mind that my active past makes it hard for me to see results unless I am pretty darn consistent with both exercise and eating. 

The difference in the oly and sprint plan, for example, is that today I will run 35 minutes instead of 44.  It's time to go run now!

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2007-12-11 10:01 AM

2007-12-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1094353

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Bike Fit comment

A few more thoughts on being measured vs having a pro bike fit prior to buying a bike.  I was measured for my bike and rode several different bikes that should have been the right fit. Based on those 'test drives' I picked the one that felt like it fit me.

After I had a pro fit done, I realized where I went wrong.

The issue for me is that I have incredibly long legs and an extremely short torso, the guy that did the measurement didnt' really take the whole body into consideration. 

The other thing to consider is whether or not you have access to someone that knows how to make the tweaks to a bike to hep improve the fit.

Another area that the pro bike fit really helped me in was in adjusting my clips to reduce stress on my knees.  She really took the time to watch how I walk, how I pedal etc and got them just right.  She also helped me to understand the body mechanics better and why she was adjusting things the way she was.

One of my riding partners (who is also my OWS partner) actually noticed a differnece in my cycle stroke right away.

In my case anyway, spending the extra up front would have saved me from buying a bike that I will have to replace sooner vs later - granted I will have gotten 2 1/2 seasons out of it, although I would say that the bike fit extended that timeframe.

In the end, it could just simply be that the LBS I went to first did not have the right people to really help me make the correct choice, or maybe the measurements done correctly.  I suspect that if I had gone to the LBS where I had my fitting done, I probably wouldn't have made the same mistake.

Maybe it boils down to finding a LBS that has staff that actually do the type of riding you want to do.  the first bike shop - mostly casual riders work there, second bike shop - lots of triathletes and cyclists work there

hmmmmmm, maybe I just answered my own quesiton.

Thoughts?

2007-12-11 10:44 AM

Regular

Good points on the pro fit issue.  I will DEFINITELY have mine fit properly.

I just found out that my pool is closing from TOMORROW (12/12) until 1/14!    What am I going to do???  I swim at the university where I teach and they're closing it for the entire break.  The rest of the gym will be open...they're just closing the pool.  The swim is my strength, and I can already do the sprint distance pretty easily, but do you think I will be okay for a 3/15 sprint tri if I can't get back into the pool until 1/14?

2007-12-11 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1094988

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
ldatug - 2007-12-11 8:44 AM

Good points on the pro fit issue. I will DEFINITELY have mine fit properly.

I just found out that my pool is closing from TOMORROW (12/12) until 1/14! What am I going to do??? I swim at the university where I teach and they're closing it for the entire break. The rest of the gym will be open...they're just closing the pool. The swim is my strength, and I can already do the sprint distance pretty easily, but do you think I will be okay for a 3/15 sprint tri if I can't get back into the pool until 1/14?

Bummer! I hate it when I feel comfortable with a place and they close. This is the time of year most places do maintenance, etc. Start looking for a Y. The one here will let you "buy in" for a month or so. Also check with fitness centers in your area for short term memberships.
2007-12-11 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
ldatug - 2007-12-11 8:44 AM

The swim is my strength, and I can already do the sprint distance pretty easily, but do you think I will be okay for a 3/15 sprint tri if I can't get back into the pool until 1/14?

I think you'll be just fine. It still sucks they're closing the pool for so long -- if only for the stress factor! -- but I wouldn't worry about being able to do the swim portion of the sprint (says the woman who's never actually done the swim portion of a sprint...).
2007-12-11 2:13 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
ldatug - 2007-12-11 10:44 AM

Good points on the pro fit issue.  I will DEFINITELY have mine fit properly.

I just found out that my pool is closing from TOMORROW (12/12) until 1/14!    What am I going to do???  I swim at the university where I teach and they're closing it for the entire break.  The rest of the gym will be open...they're just closing the pool.  The swim is my strength, and I can already do the sprint distance pretty easily, but do you think I will be okay for a 3/15 sprint tri if I can't get back into the pool until 1/14?

I would echo Laura's thought - I think you will be fine, especially if the swim is your strength.

Is the swim a pool swim or an open water swim?

It looks like you are following the 16 week to sprint plan - that's a great start.

I followed one of the 12 week plans before my second sprint and was really pleased with the efffectiveness, it really took a lot of the guesswork out of what to do and the duration.  I've been using the plans ever since.  The hard part for me to learn was to stick with the times/distances advised in the plan and not try and increase them - the plans really do work

not sure exactly what to advise to replace the swimming sessions on the week off, probably some sort aerobic activity.

2007-12-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1094969

User image

Melon Presser
lastcall2003 - 2007-12-11 10:36 AM

Bike Fit comment

A few more thoughts on being measured vs having a pro bike fit prior to buying a bike.  I was measured for my bike and rode several different bikes that should have been the right fit. Based on those 'test drives' I picked the one that felt like it fit me.

After I had a pro fit done, I realized where I went wrong.

The issue for me is that I have incredibly long legs and an extremely short torso, the guy that did the measurement didnt' really take the whole body into consideration. 

The other thing to consider is whether or not you have access to someone that knows how to make the tweaks to a bike to hep improve the fit.

Another area that the pro bike fit really helped me in was in adjusting my clips to reduce stress on my knees.  She really took the time to watch how I walk, how I pedal etc and got them just right.  She also helped me to understand the body mechanics better and why she was adjusting things the way she was.

One of my riding partners (who is also my OWS partner) actually noticed a differnece in my cycle stroke right away.

In my case anyway, spending the extra up front would have saved me from buying a bike that I will have to replace sooner vs later - granted I will have gotten 2 1/2 seasons out of it, although I would say that the bike fit extended that timeframe.

In the end, it could just simply be that the LBS I went to first did not have the right people to really help me make the correct choice, or maybe the measurements done correctly.  I suspect that if I had gone to the LBS where I had my fitting done, I probably wouldn't have made the same mistake.

Maybe it boils down to finding a LBS that has staff that actually do the type of riding you want to do.  the first bike shop - mostly casual riders work there, second bike shop - lots of triathletes and cyclists work there

hmmmmmm, maybe I just answered my own quesiton.

Thoughts?

Miss Bethie is right as always! The key (and Laura, maybe you can post in the SC/NC forums) is to get a killer local bike store, and then within it find the most experienced people. A pro fit is usually for a specific bike (tweaking a specific bike to you); however, there should be nothing un-pro about what happens during bike selection. They should be measuring you in places you don't want touched (!yep!), with bike shoes on, without bike shoes on, torso, arms, and the bikes you're looking at should be mounted on trainers (not just send you off outside to see how it feels) and you cycle while they watch. At a minimum.

And as Beth said--these folks should not only be cyclists themselves, they should have a lot of experience fitting customers during the selection process, and at least one person there should be able to do a pro fit (and for that matter, fit a pro)!

Some places will charge for this; many won't. They know you may or may not buy a bike. The good places know even if you're going to walk off and buy a used/older bike, you might get the full-on pro fit for it there, you'll get it serviced there, buy cycling stuff there, and when you're ready for the $K bike, you'll go there.

Don't even get me started on buying running shoes!

I'm spoiled like year-old eggs here in L.A. I take all of this stuff for granted.

2007-12-11 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1094850

User image

Melon Presser

TRAINING PLAN TWEAKING

Medusa_Ann - 2007-12-11 9:59 AM

I am baffled....I posted here last night and it's not here. Weird.  Anyway...thanks for the input on my training plan and the sprint vs oly vs recovery.  I did go ahead and change the plan as I have it to the sprint plan--I will do my best to wear my HRM and keep the HR in the right zone-I am really trying to incorporate HR training this year and hoping Santa provides me a Garmin to assist in that.  With me, if the program says bike 1 hr 48 min and I can't do it, I get really down on myself, depressed with my inability to manage my hectic life, etc etc and that just isn't a good thing!  This way, by starting around week 13 of the sprint program, the numbers aren't too different for the run, but are lower for the swim and bike--both which I need to maintain fitness in--in swim I need to focus on technique and on bike just on base.....so I think the numbers will actually work out for me.  I ordered some Spinervals DVDs from the library to assist in bike time at home.  I don't have outdoor cycling gear and it is cold and wet here, so I will be indoors for that for the time being (unless of course Santa is super generous-I haven't been that good!)...

My plan is to reasses in mid to end of January (with input from here of course) to figure out how best to get going on the Oly plan.  My first potential Oly is in June, so that gives me a few weeks of wiggle room to either do active recovery after the sprint plan finishes or just get right into it.  I am doing the run focused plan since running tends to be the one thing I can fit into a busy day and it's something I have found I really love to do.  (There's something I never would have thought I'd say).  I am naturally a pretty fast runner so even a  min mile doesn't usually get me winded.  I do need to get better about wearing my HRM, though!  I would appreciate the occasional check of my logs from you guys to make sure I am not pushing too hard.  However keep in mind that my active past makes it hard for me to see results unless I am pretty darn consistent with both exercise and eating. 

The difference in the oly and sprint plan, for example, is that today I will run 35 minutes instead of 44.  It's time to go run now!

Hope you had a joyful run! 

Sounds like a plan, Medusa_Ann! (Leslie ... your handle just sounded better for that sentence ). HR training is awesome--I'm a fan--but #1 is listen to your body, then to HR or training plan numbers. If you run easily without getting winded (you could keep a conversation throughout your run), then run boundlessly. Reality-check with how you feel afterward ... then there you go!

Same with biking--if the plan calls for an hour and Coach Troy (of SPINeRVALS) is making you dig deep or breathe too hard--have a smooth, relaxing cool down and pat yourself on the back for doing the most successful workout of all--tailoring it to what YOU needed.

2007-12-11 3:04 PM

User image

Melon Presser

POOL CLOSURE/SWIM FITNESS

ldatug - 2007-12-11 10:44 AM

Yuck. Pool closure is a bummer--just went through that myself!

Ditto everyone else. Explore your options, but if worst comes to worst, two months is more than enough time to build the swim fitness for your tri. I can see from your logs you've done some swimming each week, so you can afford to take some time off. Any low-impact aerobic replacement is fine (walking, light biking, elliptical, hand cycle) to maintain the aerobic fitness swimming would provide.

2007-12-11 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1094353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i am a huge advocate of the walk/run method. a year a go i was the guy who could not run a block without stopping(seriously i kid you not). but slowly my fast walking did prgress to a slow shuffle, and then evolved to running. build up with lsd, and be aptient. before i hated running-but running lead to weight loss, and a belief that anything is attainable. believe in yourself, be patient, and have fun.
2007-12-11 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1095826

User image

Melon Presser

wplummer - 2007-12-11 3:42 PM i am a huge advocate of the walk/run method. a year a go i was the guy who could not run a block without stopping(seriously i kid you not). but slowly my fast walking did prgress to a slow shuffle, and then evolved to running. build up with lsd, and be aptient. before i hated running-but running lead to weight loss, and a belief that anything is attainable. believe in yourself, be patient, and have fun.

WELL PUT, WILL!

For those of us still trying to lose weight -- run/walk can be helpful because it allows you to go longer without being fatigued, and not as much pounding on the joints -- and doing the LSD (I just love saying that, Long Steady Distance) really melts the pounds off.

And just for me, if I'm not interspersing a bunch of high-intensity stuff, I also don't have that persistent "starving" feeling afterward.

2007-12-11 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I love all the run/walk comments!

I'm very lucky that I didn't have a lot of trouble picking up running (swimming, on the other hand...grr), but a close friend is really struggling to start running. I've been talking to her about the run/walk methods but I don't think she's convinced yet, and it probably doesn't help that it's come relatively easily to me. I might just point her to the conversations here. I really do think the run/walk method would be great and I hope she gives it a try before she gives up on running altogether.

And now in me news: I think I've got my first two tris lined up for next year! The first would be a sprint on March 2 (my birthday!) and the second an olympic on April 5. I'm not too worried about them being that close together, since I'd plan on training for the olympic and treating the sprint as a training day.

Thoughts? Am I expecting too much? I'd have three months to prepare for the olympic, if I started a training plan on Jan. 1. I feel like I have a pretty decent base and three months seems doable.
2007-12-11 5:05 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Erin, that sounds fine ... the sprint would be a fun, ice-breaker, do-it-to-finish tri (your "B" race, for Birthday!). Actually, since this "rest" month you're still maintaining your fitness fairly well (just maybe not increasing it a lot), there's no reason you can't go hard on a tri after two months of training, and a month after is PLENTY of time until your Oly.

So feel free to let loose then; it's just that the MAIN point is to finish and have fun.

2007-12-11 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1096044

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2007-12-11 3:05 PM

So feel free to let loose then; it's just that the MAIN point is to finish and have fun.

Yay! Thanks for the blessing, Yanti! And I'm really glad you pointed out that part about having fun. It's easy to forget sometimes. But since it'll be my birthday present and all, I'd better have fun at that sprint. And someone had better have a birthday beer waiting for me at the finish line.

Really I'm just so relieved to have found a race fairly early in the year. I was terribly disappointed when the swim was canceled at my tri in November, and ever since I've been more eager than ever to do a first *real* tri.

Now off to go researching training plans...

2007-12-11 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Again as always so much tor ead when I get home from work. Actually working OT tonight but still great reads on everything.

I am learning so much already this is great, and to know so many others do the run/walk is also a boost
2007-12-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1096044

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
All this talk about first tris got me to thinking and remembering my first event. 
It was the Cornhusker State Games, in July of 2005.  Little did I know how much my life would change in these two short hours.
After I completed the race, I sent the following to my friends and family - looking back, I realize this was my first race report.
Anyway, I stumbled upon it, and I thought I would share it with you all. 
cornhusker state games
Dear Friends and Family 
I wanted to share my weekend adventure with you.

This will probably be news, but I did my first triathlon this past weekend,
on Sunday July 23.  The event consisted of a 1000 yd lake swim, a 12.5 mile
bike ride, and a 3.1 mile run (completed in that order).  It was a part of
the Cornhusker State Games which were conducted between July 14 and July 23
in Lincoln Nebraska.  The games consist of all sorts of competitions,
everything from fishing to darts, to volleyball, to you name it, they
probably have it.

The triathlon was an amazing event, I still can't quite believe I did it.
The event started at 7:30 am, with the swim.  They organize everyone into 4
groups, called waves, there were 376 participants.  The waves are set up by
age group and gender.  The guys get bright orange swim caps and the women
get bright pink ones.

The race starts with the first wave swimming out into the open water toward
the first buoy.  They have huge buoys that mark the swim course.  There are
3 minutes between each wave.  I wonder if it's called a wave because by the
4th group, there are literally waves hitting the shore - the lake starts
off very calm.

Oddly for me, the swim was the most overwhelming part.  I had no idea what
it would feel like to be in the water with nearly 400 people, you are
literally on top of one another and people are doing there best to move
forward in their position, I can only imagine what it must have looked like
from the shore.  I ended up doing the majority of the swim in breastroke,
with a little sidestroke thrown in.  I still finished the swim in a
respectable time.

It was so cute, there were several young kids lined up as we were running
up the beach and to the transition area, they had their hands out and were
giving each of us a high five as we ran by.  The whole crowd cheered each
person.  It gave me goosebumps.

My first memory of the bike was rounding the first corner and seeing a hill
that at the time looked like a mountain to me - lol, I had no idea there
were hills like that in Lincoln, let alone 3 of them within one 4 mile
area.  The bike portion was three laps around the park, so each hill was
tackled 3 times, as I started my final lap of the bike ride, I saw people
on the trail for the run portion and actually found myself wishing that I
was running.  Wow - I never thought those thoughts would come to my mind.

I took the run portion very easy, I alternated running and walking every 2
minutes, this allowed me to pace myself and finish the race and still be
standing.

It was an awesome feeling coming across the finish line . As the
contestants got close to the finish line, there were a couple of veterans
(and had already finished the race) that had cowbells and were ringing them
and cheering each athlete into the finish line.  As each person crossed the
finish line, the announcer for the event welcomed each contestant back by
name with congratulations for completing the race.

It was an incredibly encouraging and supportive environment.  I was so
impressed with the organization of the event, the participants and their
willingness to help and encourage a newbie - at all points along the race,
other participants (mostly veterans, I would guess) expressed words of
encouragement and support to keep going and finish it.  I can honestly say
I have never experienced anything quite like it.

I achieved my goal in finishing within 2 hours and completing the event.  I
have to say I am hooked.  I am planning on doing another competition in
Kansas City on September 10.  Who knows what next summer will bring.  I
know for sure I will try to participate in a triathlon in Minnesota in a
town near where my parents have a cabin.

Since this event, I have personally completed 2 sprints, a 5k, and an oly.  Circumstances have not worked out to do the tri in Minnesota, but there is always next summer!
I hope everyone has as great an experience as I did for their first tri!

Edited by lastcall2003 2007-12-11 8:13 PM

2007-12-11 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1096417

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Thanks for sharing your "race report," Beth. I love that you wrote that up before you even knew what a race report was. Hee!

I especially love your energy and enthusiasm about the race, and how you noticed all of the support along the way. I have to say, that was what I loved most about my race. On the bike people would shout out encouragement when they passed me (which fortunately wasn't often!) and on the run I talked to several people along the way who were obviously having so much fun and were just so happy to be out there. I even made friends with one woman when we kept passing each other on the bike and figured out at T2 that we were racked right next to each other. She beat me by about 30 seconds and I didn't mind at all.
2007-12-11 8:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Hey everyone! This group is so awesome! I’ve been a bit behind on here but finally had some time to get caught up (more-or-less). I knew I had a TON to learn, but I am starting to see what an understatement that is, WOW! There has been so much great stuff in here. It was Laura’s post about buying new running shoes that inspired me to go get a good pair this weekend. I’m so glad I did! Beth, thanks again for the recommendation on an awesome store! I must admit I didn’t know to log miles for my new shoes, but that info came at just the right time, thanks Yanti! Sorry everyone, I will definitely have more questions than answers! I can be a great cheerleader though

I also appreciate the great info on selecting a bike, as that is something I have gotta get done. Beth, it seems I should check with you on the GOOD LBS PM me if you have a chance!

Regarding the run/walk info . . . I finally gave running a try in August with some runs outside around a park – unsure of distance. My goal each time was to run the same # laps faster or more laps without stopping. Just showing you how I think / where I’m coming from. In September I recorded my first treadmill run at 2 miles averaging 11 min/mile. Again, since then my goal has been to either build distance or time without stopping. I try to do 1 or 2 short runs per week and one long run per week. My longest run to date was a 6 mile in 64 minutes. With that being said, should I change now to a run/walk system? How much running vs walking should I do on a 3 mile run or on a 6 mile run for example?

It seems that I could use a good 30,000 ft view . . . if anyone has any good references for me to read, I’d be happy to! I saw reference to base training & am not clear as to how that fits in for example? Does that come into play before starting a training program? Do I need a rest period before starting a training program?

My goal is to complete a HIM on June 15. So I am trying to work everything back from that point. I’d like to get 1 or 2 oly triathlons in before then - one that I may be able to make it to is in the beginning of April. I also was considering a half-marathon at the beginning of May. I wouldn't be going out my hardest at these, they would mainly be to help with my training and to prepare me for the HIM. I haven’t selected a training plan yet & honestly don’t know how to. My plan was to sign up as a gold member on here (but I need to wait a week so the membership lasts through my race day). Then I was going to select a plan. In the meantime I have just been trying to work up to the “starting” distances in the free BT HIM training program. I would need to start a 20 week program on Jan 28 for the June 15 race. But, I don’t know how it affects the training if I throw an oly or 2 and/or the half-marathon in there. Should I be planning to start the training program sooner? Any advice is much appreciated before I go to set up a plan! Maybe all of my questions will be answered when I sign up as a gold member and go to select a plan? If that's the case, just tell me to sit tight

Thanks,
Renee
2007-12-11 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Beth,

Thanks for sharing your race report, sounds like a GREAT first experience! I had goosebumps reading it . . . and am even more excited, if that’s possible? LOL! The support sounds amazing. . . Congrats on your races to-date!

Renee
2007-12-11 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1096470

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hey there Renee! 

Glad the shoes worked out

I'll PM you with the LBS info!

One of my favorite books is Triathlons for Women, by Sally Edwards (sorry fellas).  It is a heartfelt book, written in an easy reading, easy to understand style.  It will give you a great 30,000 ft view of what to expect and how to prepare.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61