General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-04-07 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4689645

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
erincs - 2013-04-06 9:00 PM

3.5 hour ride outdoors today in 2C temps - I had hoped I wouldn't see temps like that again this year, but there was no way I was doing it indoors.

75 minute run tomorrow to finish up my recovery week.

I just got an email that IMLP announced their official charity - Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  This is so special to me, as my 7-year old son finished his long 3.5 year battle with leukemia last May, which is why I finally felt that it was time for me to sign up for LP.  He's had a rough year with long-term side effects and a relapse scare in January, but is still healthy.  I feel like knowing this is the charity will make it an emotional day for me when I see all the TnT people.

erincs, what is your boy's name?  I'll be thinking of him.  Out on the course you'll have all the TnT people AND all of the BT people pulling for him.  I'm really happy to hear that after the long struggle, he came through the January scare doing just fine.

2013-04-07 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Emotional for sure, erincs. You've got some great inspiration to carry you through.

I was indoors yesterday ... will probably remain so for another week or two given the extended forecast. 3.5 hours on the trainer is a test. 4 next week even more so. Met up with the training groups for the local marathon this morning for a windy group run. Lots of fun despite the 25mph head winds on the return home.

Weekly totals:

Swim: 2.4 hours
Bike: 5.25 hours
Run: 3.35 hours

Total: 11 hours 

2013-04-07 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4690001

Regular
BernardDogs - 2013-04-07 11:04 AM

Emotional for sure, erincs. You've got some great inspiration to carry you through.

I was indoors yesterday ... will probably remain so for another week or two given the extended forecast. 3.5 hours on the trainer is a test. 4 next week even more so. Met up with the training groups for the local marathon this morning for a windy group run. Lots of fun despite the 25mph head winds on the return home.

Weekly totals:

Swim: 2.4 hours
Bike: 5.25 hours
Run: 3.35 hours

Total: 11 hours 

Good job!

My week:

S Goose Egg

B 5:15

R 4:45

T 10

Was a mildly run focused week, and I am taking a week or two off from swimming (work has been busy and the logistics of swimming push it down on the list).  Coming week will be bike focus; had a good, COLD ride today (had to stop back home for ski gloves) that was an okay three hours, but still a bit slower than I would like.  Hope everyone else is well!

2013-04-07 3:21 PM

User image

Pro
Really bad week, missed two workouts. I'm ashamed to post. I was slammed at work and apathetic about training.
2013-04-07 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4689897

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
klassman - 2013-04-07 8:06 AM

3.5 hour ride outdoors today in 2C temps - I had hoped I wouldn't see temps like that again this year, but there was no way I was doing it indoors.

I just got an email that IMLP announced their official charity - Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  This is so special to me, as my 7-year old son finished his long 3.5 year battle with leukemia last May, which is why I finally felt that it was time for me to sign up for LP.  He's had a rough year with long-term side effects and a relapse scare in January, but is still healthy.  I feel like knowing this is the charity will make it an emotional day for me when I see all the TnT people.

erincs, what is your boy's name?  I'll be thinking of him.  Out on the course you'll have all the TnT people AND all of the BT people pulling for him.  I'm really happy to hear that after the long struggle, he came through the January scare doing just fine.

Thanks Klassman!  His name is Nolan.  He'll be cheering on course near the turn heading off the main street.

Edited by erincs 2013-04-07 6:10 PM
2013-04-07 7:57 PM

User image

Pro

Thanks for putting life in perspective for me. Well wishes for you and your son. I'm a scientist and work on CML.

2013-04-08 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
Thanks Brian!
2013-04-08 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

WOW!  I know a little bit about this myself, my newphew and his family are also dealing with the same challenge, please take a peek here...

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/masonhedges

2013-04-08 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4691043

User image

New user

was dealing with a cold all week and missed a brick and 2 runs.  but the weather was just too nice on Sunday in north jersey to pass up so i redeemed the week with a solid 3.5 hr ride on actual road.  rigged up this awesome zip tie bottle setup.  i might turn it face forward next time and try one behind the seat next time.  Light as a feather and total cost is under $6 including the cheap profile design plastic cage.

BTW, that 3.5 hr ride was way more effective an expectorant than all those medicine I took during the week.  Mucinex should be out of business.

zip magic

2013-04-08 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4691827

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
peterliu88 - 2013-04-08 3:21 PM

zip magic

Can you take some additional pictures of the setup from the top? I've been looking at putting a bottle there but it's like $150 for all the REAL parts and I'm NOT about to do that.

2013-04-09 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4692348

User image

New user
topview

takes 2 minutes.  comes in many colors

Edited by peterliu88 2013-04-09 9:23 AM

2013-04-09 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4692869

User image

New user
Anyone had this problem where the bike makes a high squeaking sound when exerting a lot of power?  I read online if the wheel is too close to the frame, when u pedal hard on it somehow bend the wheel can temporary bend and it would touch the frame and squeak.
2013-04-09 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4692886

User image

Pro
peterliu88 - 2013-04-09 10:26 AMAnyone had this problem where the bike makes a high squeaking sound when exerting a lot of power?  I read online if the wheel is too close to the frame, when u pedal hard on it somehow bend the wheel can temporary bend and it would touch the frame and squeak.
I had a creaking that drive me nuts. Turned out it was the shoes. I'm not sure how more power would cause the wheel to expand to the point it would touch the frame. Could also be the bb.
2013-04-09 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4692944

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-09 10:49 AM
peterliu88 - 2013-04-09 10:26 AMAnyone had this problem where the bike makes a high squeaking sound when exerting a lot of power?  I read online if the wheel is too close to the frame, when u pedal hard on it somehow bend the wheel can temporary bend and it would touch the frame and squeak.
I had a creaking that drive me nuts. Turned out it was the shoes. I'm not sure how more power would cause the wheel to expand to the point it would touch the frame. Could also be the bb.

I also get occasional creaks from my cleats. I usually start noticing it while climbing out of the saddle. If I coat them with baby powder, it'll take care of it for a good amount of time.

But if it's definitely coming from the bike, you may want to check the crank/bearings as well.
2013-04-09 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4692886

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

peterliu88 - 2013-04-09 10:26 AM Anyone had this problem where the bike makes a high squeaking sound when exerting a lot of power?  I read online if the wheel is too close to the frame, when u pedal hard on it somehow bend the wheel can temporary bend and it would touch the frame and squeak.

Hey Peter - depending on which tire I run on the rear of my P2 and I can torque it enough when standing and mashing to cause the tire to rub the inside of the rear chainstay if it is set too close to the frame. Most folks put the rear tire too close to the seat tube anyway; Cervelo put out a white paper about a year after they started manufacturing the P2c stating that it was actually a little slipperier if you leave a decent space between the two - probably not much, but watts is watts. While on that topic - make sure that you actually use a very tight rear skewer to hold the wheel in place, NOT the small adjustment/stop screws that center the wheel. They are not structural and can also strip out under load if the skewer is not tight enough. Intermittent squeaks and rattles can be an absolute bear to track down - they will drive you crazy.

And nice bottle setup, btw - that is similar to what I run and it works like a charm. I would definitely turn the bottle around though - you want as little goop dripping into your headset as possible (you probably get enough sweat in there already if  you are spending the right amount of time in aero). Also, particularly at lake placid you will have an easier time keeping a bottle in there if it is facing forward, especially if you plan on exchanging at the aid stations - neither the perform bottles nor the water bottles they provide fit very tight. I never felt like I was going to lose one (facing forward) but they do rattle around. Looks like you would still have plenty of room in front of the bottle for your computer (if you use one).

Oh, and lose the yellow zip ties, totally jacks the aesthetic of that black and red bike! Laughing

2013-04-09 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4693049

User image

Pro
TankBoy - 2013-04-09 11:36 AM

peterliu88 - 2013-04-09 10:26 AM Anyone had this problem where the bike makes a high squeaking sound when exerting a lot of power?  I read online if the wheel is too close to the frame, when u pedal hard on it somehow bend the wheel can temporary bend and it would touch the frame and squeak.

Hey Peter - depending on which tire I run on the rear of my P2 and I can torque it enough when standing and mashing to cause the tire to rub the inside of the rear chainstay if it is set too close to the frame. Most folks put the rear tire too close to the seat tube anyway; Cervelo put out a white paper about a year after they started manufacturing the P2c stating that it was actually a little slipperier if you leave a decent space between the two - probably not much, but watts is watts. While on that topic - make sure that you actually use a very tight rear skewer to hold the wheel in place, NOT the small adjustment/stop screws that center the wheel. They are not structural and can also strip out under load if the skewer is not tight enough. Intermittent squeaks and rattles can be an absolute bear to track down - they will drive you crazy.

And nice bottle setup, btw - that is similar to what I run and it works like a charm. I would definitely turn the bottle around though - you want as little goop dripping into your headset as possible (you probably get enough sweat in there already if  you are spending the right amount of time in aero). Also, particularly at lake placid you will have an easier time keeping a bottle in there if it is facing forward, especially if you plan on exchanging at the aid stations - neither the perform bottles nor the water bottles they provide fit very tight. I never felt like I was going to lose one (facing forward) but they do rattle around. Looks like you would still have plenty of room in front of the bottle for your computer (if you use one).

Oh, and lose the yellow zip ties, totally jacks the aesthetic of that black and red bike! Laughing

On that note, how do the bottles they provide fit on the xlab? Any suggestion on cages I should get? I have more or less decided to put two bottles behind the seat. Just ordered Infinit so will try that and see if I like it better than Heed.

Weird only having to run 11 miles this week, I feel like I have too much free time.

2013-04-09 2:00 PM

User image

New user

The flu finally hit me last week and knocked me out of a few workouts.  Was able to rebound and put in a good effort at a 10 mile running race on Sunday, so looking forward to getting back into normal training this week.

Cool BTA setup Peter.  I've been looking to switch from my aerodrink to a BTA bottle and am glad to know that zip ties will do the trick. 

For cage selection behind the saddle, I use Gorilla cages and they work great.  Although a bit on the pricey side (I received them as a gift), my magical ejecting bottle problems were solved.  They seemed to have enough grip to hold either my 20oz bottles or the Perform/water bottles they provide on course.

2013-04-09 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4693551

User image

Regular

Ugh.  I had one of those workouts.

I just went for a 61 minute run.  After 10 minutes, I was supposed to do two 6 minute pickups in zone 4 with a two minute jog break.  The rest of the run was supposed to be zone 2.

I barely got my heartrate into zone 3 and was running slower than Sunday when I did my long run all z1-2.

It feels like a waste of an hour.  I hate those workouts.

2013-04-10 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4693049

User image

New user

Possible source of noise so far

a) cleats - swapped my bike 105 pedals recently wonder if it could be the problem

b) skewer - riding the bike trainer skewer.  could be an issue.

c) chain stay too close to tire - i don't have any issue on the trainer but the road may do different things to the wheel.

d) increase the space using adjustment screw - i would definitely ask my LBS to turn those screws a couple of turns to make more room.

The choice zip tie color is a limited.  The batch I got from home depot includes pink / neon green / yellow / baby blue.  May need to dig into the wallet and get some black color zip ties.  I'll try to turn the bottle around.  I had it facing me only because I saw some pic of the pros doing it that way.  Need to figure out how to zip tie the bottle behind my stock P2 saddle.

Been thinking about getting a bike computer since my Garmin 305's battery seems to be going.  It says low after 2.5 hrs.  Was able to finish the 3.5 hrs ride with it.  I found that if the watch is facing the palm side, it can be really easy to read in aero position.  I only check about HR / RPM and once in a while check the time.  Too soon to worry about mph.

TankBoy - 2013-04-09 10:36 AM

2013-04-10 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4694144

Regular
klassman - 2013-04-09 10:54 PM

I just went for a 61 minute run.  After 10 minutes, I was supposed to do two 6 minute pickups in zone 4 with a two minute jog break.  The rest of the run was supposed to be zone 2.

I barely got my heartrate into zone 3 and was running slower than Sunday when I did my long run all z1-2.

Been there a couple times in the past two weeks.  Keep your chin up, and watch "Full Circle" or something to get your heart pumping.  This feels like the roughest stretch to me... let's get through it!  When is your first race?

2013-04-10 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4695572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
jsenc2002 - 2013-04-10 8:32 PM

Been there a couple times in the past two weeks.  Keep your chin up, and watch "Full Circle" or something to get your heart pumping.  This feels like the roughest stretch to me... let's get through it!  When is your first race?

That Full Circle video may not play for you anymore...Youtube said I wore it out watching myself in it lol.

Keep up the good work man, everyone has workouts like that.

2013-04-11 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

LOL, Cornick!  I remember seeing you on course a few times last year and thinking you must have had a crash on the bike.  I was stunned to find out after the race on BT that you actually raced the whole thing that way.  Hard core!

I always face my Garmin to the inside of my wrist, it makes looking at it in aero so easy.

2013-04-11 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4696019

User image

Pro
erincs - 2013-04-11 9:40 AM

LOL, Cornick!  I remember seeing you on course a few times last year and thinking you must have had a crash on the bike.  I was stunned to find out after the race on BT that you actually raced the whole thing that way.  Hard core!

I always face my Garmin to the inside of my wrist, it makes looking at it in aero so easy.

I still have one of the original Garmin 205's. It's been utterly reliable, but no ant+ or power. I wouldn't mind a 910xt, but I also have a Garmin 800 so it's hard to justify.

I was also shocked to hear Cornick swam like that. I saw him on the bike and assumed the same thing you did.

2013-04-11 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4695572

User image

Regular
jsenc2002 - 2013-04-10 8:32 PM

Thanks to both of you.  First race is on May 11 -- it is a 2.4 mile OWS at the site (a place called Lake Jordan) of the Raleigh 70.3 which is on June 2.  Those are my two "warm up" races for IMLP.  One month until I really find out how my fitness is coming along.  Right now I'm trying to get through the week and to Saturday.  One sick kid, my wife is hurting with a unexplained and pained back, and stacks of work, work, work.  I think I'd be in a great business if I didn't have to deal with clients.  

Saturday I have planned my first really solid bike-run.  I'm supposed to ride 4 hours and run 30 minutes.  High temp is predicted at 68 with 12 mph winds.  That is where my focus is right now...just got to get through a couple more days.  Hard to believe that we're more than halfway through the training (if you started Jan 1 or are doing a 30 week plan.)  Only 14+ weeks until IMLP.

2013-04-11 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I had a bone scan done today on my tibia.  The one I'm having pain in showed 3 bright spots along the inside of the bone!!  Is that even possible?  I see the dr again on Monday to find out what it showed, but I'm really hoping it's nothing.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59