BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-06-10 5:21 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group
Originally posted by tri808

Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now...

I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down.

I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own.

Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!

That's awesome Jason! After Honu you know what the conditions are going to be like. Train for the run. There's nowhere to hide on that run course.

You've got to represent the natives!

(Sorry for the drive-by post, but I do keep an eye on this thread and also watch for all of yours race results. :-) )

2013-06-10 8:57 PM
in reply to: blbriley

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-10 8:58 PM
in reply to: blbriley

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Training question for the group.

As some may recall, I started this season thinking Oly's and maaaayyyybe a HIM in the Fall at the end of the season, iff I felt great, etc..  Now, I'm signed up for Timberman August 18th and psyched (basically did a bit more than the HIM distances over 24 hours this weekend, felt good and have ~10 weeks still to train, so I think I'll be ready).

However, I still have an Oly on July 21 that I want to rock.  Sooooooo, the inevitable compromise comes into play.  What I recently decided on was to do HIM distance and intensity specific workouts on the big days (weekends) and Oly distance/intensity during the week (I'm using Friel's "your best tri" program, mostly - with some modification, obviously).

So, here's the question:

Would you stick with a total HIM focus and expect to be able to go "fast" in the Oly (it IS an endurance event, even if it's a "short" course), or would you keep the weekday intensity for the next 6 weeks (and lower intensity but longer on weekends) and then go full HIM plan only for the month prior to the race?

I'm concerned that adding the intensity during the week, on top of the volume of the weekend, will predispose to injury.  Flip side is that I like interval work (a lot) and respond well to it - and I'm still slower than I'd like to be.  Wink  I'm inclined toward keeping the faster intervals (there are still intervals on the HIM plan, just a zone lower and twice as long or so), and then HIM specific build for 2 weeks after the Oly, a one week peak and one week taper prior to the HIM.

Sorry for posting up so much stuff about my plan and the question, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something basic here that y'all might have already dealt with…  Much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

2013-06-10 9:00 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

2013-06-10 9:02 PM
in reply to: Fred D

2013-06-10 9:09 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Mike_D So, i'm 5 days away from my first race (Patriot HIM) and have had an emotional bomb dropped. Friday night someone I've known my whole life died suddenly from a heart attack. He is only a year younger than me, and I've known him & his family nearly my whole life. He was married, 4 kids under age 13, and this was totally out of nowhere. No known health issues beforehand, and its all just stunning. He & his family have lived next door to my sister & her family for over 15 years as well, so there has always been a connection between our families. Last saw him last time I was at my sisters a few weeks ago. Funeral is tomorrow, and its just mind blowing to think what has happened. Its really something to ponder. The more I think about it, the more depressing it gets, and I'm not in a good place emotionally. Totally demotivating for this weekend as well. Maybe once I get beyond Tuesday I can think about the race on Saturday a bit more, but right now, its not really that important.

Mike, very sorry to hear about this and know how that kind of loss shakes you - sometimes for a while.

I will often sort of dedicate (it's not a formal thing - just a thought that goes out to them) a great day outside to some of those who are no longer here and able to do the same.  There are just some runs, swims, rides - even races - for which I'm so grateful that I use them to remember...

Kind of tough to describe (sounds hokey, even as I write it!), as I never really think about it ahead of time - just kind of happens.

I hope Patriot is like that for you.

Matt

2013-06-11 5:50 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

2013-06-11 8:01 AM

Expert
Mike the race really isn't that important compared to real life events such as this. My heart goes out to the family and to you. I would think of the race as a needed distraction and just go down there and run your race and enjoy it not worrying about time.
2013-06-11 10:47 AM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

As some may recall, I started this season thinking Oly's and maaaayyyybe a HIM in the Fall at the end of the season, iff I felt great, etc..  Now, I'm signed up for Timberman August 18th and psyched (basically did a bit more than the HIM distances over 24 hours this weekend, felt good and have ~10 weeks still to train, so I think I'll be ready).

However, I still have an Oly on July 21 that I want to rock.  Sooooooo, the inevitable compromise comes into play.  What I recently decided on was to do HIM distance and intensity specific workouts on the big days (weekends) and Oly distance/intensity during the week (I'm using Friel's "your best tri" program, mostly - with some modification, obviously).

So, here's the question:

Would you stick with a total HIM focus and expect to be able to go "fast" in the Oly (it IS an endurance event, even if it's a "short" course), or would you keep the weekday intensity for the next 6 weeks (and lower intensity but longer on weekends) and then go full HIM plan only for the month prior to the race?

I'm concerned that adding the intensity during the week, on top of the volume of the weekend, will predispose to injury.  Flip side is that I like interval work (a lot) and respond well to it - and I'm still slower than I'd like to be.  Wink  I'm inclined toward keeping the faster intervals (there are still intervals on the HIM plan, just a zone lower and twice as long or so), and then HIM specific build for 2 weeks after the Oly, a one week peak and one week taper prior to the HIM.

Sorry for posting up so much stuff about my plan and the question, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something basic here that y'all might have already dealt with…  Much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

An Oly 4 weeks before your HIM is actually pretty good timing if you ask me to race both all out.

For me, Oly training isn't that much different from HIM training. The mid weeks stuff is still intense on the bike, running mostly easy for all runs, and swimming as much as time permits with intervals.
2013-06-11 11:31 AM

Master
Crab Cake City

Ok...I'm pretty much shaking with sweaty palms right now...

I don't know how to say this subtly...so I'll just use the battering ram and bust the front door down.

I'll be racing in Kona again...in OCTOBER!!! I don't remember if I mentioned it the last two years I did Honu, but there is a lottery of 20 spots for Hawaii residents who complete Honu. 24 separate slots for Big Island residents. Third time's a charm I suppose! Another one of my training buddies got in as well, so I shouldn't be training on my own.

Oh my...I don't think I've ever gotten a better birthday present (birthday is tomorrow btw). Still can't believe it!

Happy Bday Jason and big time congrats on Kona!!!! Very happy for you!
2013-06-11 6:30 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

So, here's the question:

Thanks

Matt

An Oly 4 weeks before your HIM is actually pretty good timing if you ask me to race both all out. For me, Oly training isn't that much different from HIM training. The mid weeks stuff is still intense on the bike, running mostly easy for all runs, and swimming as much as time permits with intervals.

As I might have said before, if I have a number on my belt, I'm racing all out - the only difference is the result...

Interesting, though.  My workouts are basically two key runs (one with intervals during the week, one long one with longer intervals on the weekend - like 9 and 13+ miles, respectively), two 3-4 milers easy, one 2 miler off the bike weekend bike.  A hill bike (brutal!) during the week and a long one on the weekend, with two 1-1.5hr easy ones during the week.  Three intense swims and one recovery swim.  Been averaging about 10-13hrs a week total during the build.

Sounds like you're approaching it a bit differently, but I probably have more work to do in all areas than you!  The training really is similar for both - just a question of maybe one zone lower but longer for the HIM.  I'm going to try the mix of more intense during the week and longer on the weekend and see what happens for the Oly at the end of this month.  Then experiment some more for the Oly in July and experiment some more for the HIM.  Wink 

Only sort of kidding.  The experiment part will be wrt the amount of time for peak and taper.  For the 4 weeks prior to the HIM, I was thinking 2 build weeks, one peak (slightly lower volume, higher race-like intensity - kind of a modified taper, as I read the plan) and one taper.  I hear the recommendation for more taper - I'm wondering, though, if the peak week is basically a first week of a taper.  Sounds kinda like it, no?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Matt

2013-06-11 6:34 PM

2013-06-11 7:08 PM

Originally posted by Fred D

Hoka review? Well I've run in them for a week and also ran in my Newton's this afternoon as well. Too early to know everything, but so far I really like them. The Hokas are light and very very 'cushiony'. I find that they have given my achiles and calves a definite break as the Newtons are known to be hard on those areas. What I'm amazed by so far is that I have been running a pretty good pace with them. I thought I would be much slower than my Newton racers but not much slower. Only drawback so far is the extreme cost, but my 'plan' for now is to do most of my running in the Hokas with 1-2 runs a week in the newtons. Surprisingly pleased with them so far!

Great to hear that the Hokas are working out for you...or just that you're running well in general given your previous injuries. I know a few people that run in them and like it. The cost is not really a drawback for me...more like a "barrier." LOL. I usually don't pay more than $80 for my shoes. Which reminds me that I'm due for a rotation.

2013-06-11 7:43 PM

Regular
SF Bay area

A "what would you do" question for the group.  I've got my first HIM coming up in a month and I'm already starting to look at the details.  The organizer is running a mini-clinic on the swim area (incl short swim) and beginning of bike the day before the race at 9:00 am.  I signed up for it.  The race is a two transition area race, and you have to set up your T2 the day before the race.  I got info from a previous participant that the bike racks are segmented by AG and your position is a first come first served proposition.  Furthermore, to get into the transition area you have to have picked up your race number.  To get your race number,  you have to have sat through one of the pre-race meetings.  The first meeting is at 9:30 am thus the first chance to get into transition will come at 10:00-10:30am.  Meetings are held every hour, so you do have chances to get into the transition area as the day progresses, but I'm not sure how quickly good spots will go.  So the question is, do I do the clinic and risk getting a less than optimal position in T2 or do I skip the clinic and grab a good spot?  I've ridden the course so the bike part of the clinic is not really that exciting, and I'm not sure what I'll get out of the swim part, but sometimes good nuggets do appear at these things.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

2013-06-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: TTom

2013-06-11 8:54 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by TTom

A "what would you do" question for the group.  I've got my first HIM coming up in a month and I'm already starting to look at the details.  The organizer is running a mini-clinic on the swim area (incl short swim) and beginning of bike the day before the race at 9:00 am.  I signed up for it.  The race is a two transition area race, and you have to set up your T2 the day before the race.  I got info from a previous participant that the bike racks are segmented by AG and your position is a first come first served proposition.  Furthermore, to get into the transition area you have to have picked up your race number.  To get your race number,  you have to have sat through one of the pre-race meetings.  The first meeting is at 9:30 am thus the first chance to get into transition will come at 10:00-10:30am.  Meetings are held every hour, so you do have chances to get into the transition area as the day progresses, but I'm not sure how quickly good spots will go.  So the question is, do I do the clinic and risk getting a less than optimal position in T2 or do I skip the clinic and grab a good spot?  I've ridden the course so the bike part of the clinic is not really that exciting, and I'm not sure what I'll get out of the swim part, but sometimes good nuggets do appear at these things.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

. I'd go for the better T2 spot

x2 FWIW

2013-06-12 5:38 AM

2013-06-12 6:47 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fred D Today I have some extra time to train. I am hoping to ride the shiv for 2 hrs, with some harder efforts. To me this will be a it determiner to see if I can race in a week and a half. What's on tap for training for the rest of you?

Hour and a half or so on the bike with a series of 3' hill repeats (almost all out) and an aerobic 30' to finish.  Optional ~4 mile run.  Crummy weather, but might be the best I get this week.

btw, HIM's on back to back weekends for your first time at the distance is a bad idea, right?  Just checking.  Tongue out

2013-06-12 6:51 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D Today I have some extra time to train. I am hoping to ride the shiv for 2 hrs, with some harder efforts. To me this will be a it determiner to see if I can race in a week and a half. What's on tap for training for the rest of you?

5250 meters in the pool this morning and then an easy 45 min run at lunch.

I hope your ride goes well Fred!

2013-06-12 6:58 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

So…. is 5,000m a day normal around here?  (thinking I might need to find a different sport!)

ETA: x2 on the ride.  Hope you get the back half of the season back Fred.

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-06-12 6:59 AM
2013-06-12 7:05 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by axteraa

So…. is 5,000m a day normal around here?  (thinking I might need to find a different sport!)

ETA: x2 on the ride.  Hope you get the back half of the season back Fred.

I'm not normal.    

For a non-swimmer, this is probably the opposite of what you should do but over the winter I was doing 4500-5500 twice a week with the local swim team kids.  I've backed off those bigger days a bit lately but it sure whipped me into good swim shape.  For most triathletes, somewhat shorter but more frequent swims will be more effective in my opinion.

2013-06-12 7:37 AM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Maryland

Glad you are back to some good training! I have a pair of Hoka's that a local running store gave to me. I was having some trouble with lower drop shoes (newtons) in my shin area (those have disappeared with my old Brooks racer st's).  I also thought about doing a run or two with the hoka's, to try to rule out if it is  the lower drop shoe, if I am not mistaken, they are 3-4mm also.

I have 1-1.5hr on bike with small 30min brick.  Will try to sneak into pool later (been slacking) pending the thunder boomers they are predicting for later's Dericho.

I signed up for the Fort Ritchie Sprint here in MD which has a pretty good climb relative to what we are used to, so going to start hitting the bike hard again to gain some strength.

Happy training everyone.

Edited by bgeyeguy 2013-06-12 7:42 AM
2013-06-12 8:31 AM

Regular
SF Bay area
Today is a 3000 swim followed by an easy 40 minute run later. Tomorrow is the fun one:  s/b/r  2100/2hr/1hr brick.  I'm doing a local sprint on Saturday so Friday will be just a light run.
2013-06-12 8:56 AM
in reply to: TTom

Master
Just South of Boston
First race of the year (and first HIM of the year) in 3 days. Printed out the athlete guide yesterday and it made me both fired up & nervous.

With all that has gone on the past few days, I'm looking at this race with a new lens -- enjoy the moment, make it fun, and appreciate that I can be out there doing it. I honestly don't care how long it takes me to finish, which will be a while, but this started out as a race for redemption (DNF last years race due to bike crash) and has turned into something more - an appreciation of all that is good in my life. (this may not include miles 5-11 on the run, however ).
2013-06-12 11:50 AM

Master
TORONTO
Mine is coming up too.  I just got my bib # and learned I'm in wave 5!!??  After the pros but before all the younger people.  The nice thing is I won't feel alone on the course but I'm sure it will be frustrating at the beginning of the bike getting passed by so many people.  The first 20miles is all uphill.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51