BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-02 9:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-05-09 2:22 PM

2013-05-02 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4723777

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group

Hi Fred and Jason, thanks for the invite.

Brian Gonzales, from Severn, MD.

Optometrist, work for LasikPlus.

Married with two girls (Hannah 9, my dancer and Sophia 6, my "still trying to figure it all out" girl).

Prior to multi-sport, I was passionate about golf, paintball (winter), started out cycling to lose weight in 09, and love me a good game of Hold'em!

Fourth year of racing.  Did 2 HIM last year.  Delaware Diamond man was my practice for Beach to Battleship Half.  Working on improving my showing at last year's Beach to Battleship half (6:30ish).

I usually don't post much on the politics side, do read them occasionally, so should be good with that.

I joined a local tri/racing team last year so do have a lot of good support also, but always looking for other strong opinions, like you said, there are many ways to do things and you don't know which works for you until you try it!

Running has always been my achilles heel, but that is the one injury surprisingly I have not had (knock wood, tree size).  I have never been very fast, wanting to move from the back of the pack to middle of the pack.  I always have to keep reminding myself that there will always be lots of people faster/slowere than me, just work to improve each year.

This year, I have made a strong commitment, not to let tri training interfere with my family life.  I usually try to get workouts done early am before kids get up.  I usually have to work 2 saturdays a month so usually have to juggle the long run/long ride days. 

Looking forward to learning about what HIM distance racing is all about!

Edited by bgeyeguy 2013-05-02 10:10 AM
2013-05-02 10:13 AM

Master
TORONTO

Perfect timing!  I'd like in please!  Found this when I clicked 'new threads' but I don't even see it under the training link so I may be jumping the gun - aren't I so eager????

Name: Kimmax / Marcia

Story: 
Never really been athletic although have always enjoyed swimming and cycling.  Years ago I saw some pics of people doing the Malibu Sprint triathlon and thought "I might be able to do that!".  Started training (I didn't even run at the time!) for my first mini sprint in 2008 and did 3 that year - addicted!  I usually race about three times a year.  I did my first HIM in 2011 - Muskoka.  I learned a LOT from my experience and have decided to give that distance another try as I'm unsure as to whether I like it.   I do enjoy training for longer distances.

Family Status:  Married with a 10 year daughter, an active puppy & an old cat. 

2013 Goals: Syracuse 70.3 on June 23rd and that experience will determine future plans.  If I don't enjoy the experience I'll spend the rest of the summer doing shorter local races and train for a full marathon (fall).  If I love it I may consider the Niagara half ironman.  

Weight Loss: I'd like to tone up.  My weight went up to 147 this past winter - I'm now 139.6 but its been very slow process losing it.  Goal is 135 and will reassess then.  Really focussed on eating clean and making good balanced decisions.  

Current Training:  I'm following a HIM plan from Christina Gandolfo's "Triathlete for Women" book though I've modified the long run schedule using the build in the Hal Higdon novice half marathon plan.  My problem is I took up skiing this past winter and delayed tri training until April 1st.  I feel as though I'm playing catch up to build the volume at a safe rate.  

Last year I did a lot of running in the fall of 2011 and started training seriously in January 2012 and had issues with my piriformis that extended down my leg and caused some serious discomfort.  After my first sprint in June 2012 I took the rest of the year off and focussed a lot on yin yoga, art massage and strength to get back to normal.  I have to be very careful not to let it flare up again.

Anyway - liked your introduction and excited to be a part of a group with the same goals.  I don't have a lot of information to share but I do have a lot of questions!!!

I liked what you wrote in your profile and so looking forward to kicking this year off!

2013-05-02 10:17 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Before I clutter up the group with my bio, quick question.  I'm running an Oly mid-summer as my first A race, with maybe another in August.  I say maybe as I'm considering a HIM in the Fall.  I was initially going to focus just on the Oly's this year (first full season in 18 years, did 2 sprints end of last season) and go HIM the following, but I can't get the idea of a late season HIM out of my head!

If it's OK for me to lurk, learn and sometimes post, I'd love in...

If that makes sense/is OK, I'll post up a bio.

Thanks!
Matt 

2013-05-02 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4723945

2013-05-02 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4723930

2013-05-02 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4723913

2013-05-02 10:24 AM

2013-05-02 10:34 AM

Master
SMIBville

Name: Dave Loewensteiner

Profession: Marine Biologist

Current training: 10-16 hours per week to prepare for 2 HIMs this year: Eagleman 70.3 in June as a guide for a visually impaired athlete and Timberman 70.3 in August.  (plus some sprints, olympics, and OWS races thrown in for fun). 5 previous HIMs.  Did a half marathon last month to sort of build up my run for the season and have a 3 mile OWS race this weekend. 

Background This is my 7th season in the sport after a long period of being fairly sedentary on the couch/college nuttiness.  Did some cycling for fun/fitness during my mid 20s.  Grew up as a swimmer through high school.  I've seen some fairly 'steady' improvements over time and managed to stay mostly injury free.  I try to listen to my body closely and getting adequate rest and nutrition is a focus.  My swim and run are fairly strong, my biking is ok - always seem to lag behind a bit there, but have been focusing on getting stronger on the bike the past few offseasons with good results.  I think I'm drawn to the HIM distance because it's a bit bike heavy and sort of challenges me that way.

Weight loss goals:  None.  I seem to do a fairly good job of regulating my diet and training load to hover within a few pounds of what I think is an ideal weight for me.   

2013-05-02 11:21 AM

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Name: sbsmann / Scott
Profession: Programmer/Analyst (IT)

Story: Love endurance sports and started triathlon in 2009.  Was a runner prior to triathlon, but only a casual runner.  After discovering triathlon, I found that I actually prefer cycling and swimming over running....imagine that?  I did my first full Ironman (WI) last year and enjoyed the entire journey.  I'm also a man with many diverse interests including golf, carpentry and travel.  Right now I'm in the middle of an enormous project finishing the basement of our home.  Once this project is done I will finally have the workout room that I have been dreaming of for years!  It should be finished by the fall and will help me with winter/spring training as I move toward doing my second full Ironman (WI) in 2014.

Family Status:  45 years old & married with no kids.

2013 races: Door County Half Ironman in July & the Berlin (Germany) Marathon in September.  Those are my big races, but I've also got several other events scheduled for the year (2 HM's, 100K Horribly Hilly Hundred bike event and an Oly triathlon).

Weight Loss: No worries for me.  I am 6'1 and 170 and rarely deviate from that weight unless I stop training for several months. 

Current Training:  This is the first year I am going "plan-less" for a HIM and we'll see how that works.  I designed my own plan for Door County and I feel like it will be more than adequate for my event.  I'll probably loosely follow a Hal Higdon marathon plan for Berlin because I generally like his plans and have had success with them in the past. 

I'm a big proponent of consistent training over the long haul in being the key to success and injury avoidance in SBR and I try very hard to keep training year round in all three sports (depsite horrendous Wisconsin winters). 

I've been in several Mentor groups over the years here on BT including one Fred did a couple years ago.  Fred's group was by far the best group and I feel like I learned a lot and that is why I would like to be back again for another go-around!
2013-05-02 11:49 AM

Expert

HI. I have a lot of respect for both you and Jason as serious triathletes and I'd be interested in getting your help to improve my 2014 70.3 s/b/r pace to the point that I might be able to consider doing an IM in two years. 

Name: Kate (I go by Kate but first name is actually Mary), age 46, Married with a 10 year old son
Profession: Music Teacher

Story: When I was a teenager I read a book called "Triathlon for Ordinary Mortals" and I thought triathlon's sounded like the coolest thing ever. This is my 3rd year of doing triathlons. In March I just completed my first HIM. I plan to do a few sprints this summer and an Olympic in the fall. But I'd like to do that same HITS 70.3 event next March and take as much time off the race that I can. I finished in 8 hours. I'd like to bring that time to 7. 

2013 races: HITS Ocala, March 23, 2013 / Crystal River Sprint, July / Longleaf Olympic Triathlon, October /

HITS Naples January 2014 70.3

Weight Loss: I weigh 140 and would like to get down to 125  

Current Training: I am actually on a BT maintenance program and doing TR Challenge. I'm currently doing "Insanity Workout" 3 times a week to add a bit of strength/core training. I run 5 to 6 times a week and bicycle 3 to 4 times a week. I swim at least twice a week. Most of the time I do an early morning workout and an early evening workout. I'd say my weakness is that most of my training lacks intensity. I have to be careful with running because of knee issues (prior torn ACL) and PF. I changed up my shoes last fall and that has helped a lot. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-05-02 12:00 PM

2013-05-02 11:52 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I admit that below I am using most of the bio I just posted on another group, but it's updated!

Name: Matt McManus

Story: I'm the somewhat typical 44 year old (but just aged up a group this year - youngest guy in the 45-49... good thing this new AG is not that fast) who is getting back into tris and loving it.  I did my first in the early 90's and couple through the mid-90's, then went on to mostly just running to stay in I'm-not-dead-yet shape (well, I ran a bunch races through the late 90's but it was easier to be "fast enough" back then on those young legs).  Bought a bike almost exactly a year ago (4/10/12) after a year of hectoring by a colleague at work and just jumped back in to longer and more intense workouts through the spring.  Started riding longer and harder, and also running longer and harder and did the first couple of races (5k's) in a loooong time with my wife (and kids - mile races).  Bought new bikes for everyone (kids because they grow like weeds - they're now 8, 10, 12 - and Kim because she really needed one).  Happy times.

Then one day, I hopped back in the ocean while down at the beach in the early summer and decided to go for a long swim.  Hmmmmmmm...... Well, after a few drinks a night not long thereafter I said to Kim (aforementioned wife - and partner in crime wrt exercise) that I might as well do a tri again as I'm kind of doing all three s/b/r for fun anyway.  That was it - couldn't wait to get started and pin a number on chest!

So, I registered for a local sprint (Dover-Sherborne) that some friends from Sherborne were doing about 8 weeks prior to it (and started the 8 week Time Crunched Tri program).  Kim raised an eyebrow and, after a few drinks a night not long thereafter, said to me that she might as well do a tri, too, as she was working out all the time and it might be fun (if scary).  Boom.

We both also registered for the Mayflower Sprint in Plymouth (you get to swim along side the Mayflower - how cool is THAT?).  That was a great race for us, and D-S was even more fun.

Over the winter, I've been more run focused (a couple HMs, some 5k's, a 10k and few of each coming up in the next month), and Kim is back on with the run now, too, after some shin splints knocked her out of the fall HM in November.  Not sure if she'll do a tri this year (despite having been a HS swimmer, she doesn't like the swim, and despite being QOM on a bunch of Strava segments, the bike still freaks her out a bit when she goes faaaaaast.... and she goes fast).  Smile  We both just PR'd a 10k last weekend which was a blast.

I am very excited about being back in the tribe, although it's like a new sport compared to back when(and in pretty much all good ways).  While many are focused on just tri's, we tend to do a lot of single sport races (at least the last year) as well.  It's been a bit of a struggle trying to peak for an open race while still doing the other two disciplines, but there are many folks here (and in the tri community) that do the same, so these boards have been helpful with that.

We just moved back to Boston (Concord, in the 'burbs, actuall) a couple years ago after having moved around the Northeast and to Cleveland (twice - no, really).  Happy to be home, but SICK of winter this year (for the first time - usually love it, but I've been more interested in running and biking than skiing this year - another first!).  UPDATE - the last 2 days, it's been Spring!  Awesome...

What else...  Work, I guess.  I'm in biotech (longer story there than I'll put down here!), so Boston is a great place.  Family is in Mass, as well, so another bonus (mostly).  Wink 

Family Status: Married to Kim (very happily!) with three terrific kids.  Two dogs - a yellow and chocolate lab.  A bazillion fish, hamsters, frogs, etc. - the kids like pets (OK - so do the parents).

Current Training: Um, lots, for me.  Not so much compared to long course folks!  I'm in an odd spot, as I just finished my spring A race (an open 10k) and now have 11.3 weeks until my summer A-race (Nantucket Oly on July 21).  Trying to figure out how to train for an Oly, or two, and then possibly work that up to a HIM in the fall. This is why I'm so interested in this group!!

2012 Races: Mayflower Sprint 9/1/12 (got a third place medal in AG, but official results had one "Johnny Appleseed" taking first - not sure what that was, but I was WAY happy with the result).  DoverSherborne Sprint 9/16/12 (4th or 5th in AG - again very happy with that).  Katie's HM 11/4/12 in 1:43:20ish (PR for me!).

2013 Races: Hyannis HM end of February (1:41:30 ish - a PR in some NASTY weather).  Plymouth 5k 3/16 in ~21' (PR).  JB Blastoff 5k (20:35 a PR and felt great).  James Joyce 10k on 4/28 (42:40 official - PR by many minutes). Great Bear 5k on 5/5. Boston HM on 5/26 (pacing Kim). Emerson 5k on 6/1. Possibly Catskills Grand Fondo 6/2.  Harpoon b2b 6/15.  Dad's Day 5 miler in Shaker Heights OH 6/16. Falmouth Sprint 7/13.  Nantucket Oly 7/21.  Then it's less certain.  Maybe: Marsh Madness Sprint 7/28.  Sharon Sprint 8/11.  Cranberry Oly 8/25.  Probably: Mayflower Sprint 8/31. DS Boosters Sprint 9/15.  MAYBE a HIM in the fall in place of one of these or a bit later IF I'm feeling awesome (but might wait until next season - just don't know how to structure and pace a season yet)

Weightloss: Sure!  Sounds good.  I went from high 180's to high 150's (so, if math is right, about 30 pounds in a year) and am not really looking to drop more (I'm about 5'8"+).  Truth is, I didn't focus on weight - just working out and eating right (which includes ice cream and IPAs - at least now and again - for me).  Maybe another 3-4 pounds, but only if it happens...  Curious what it will be like to race at a lighter weight (current weight, that is) for the bike!

What will make me a good member:  I'm very much interested in s/b/r.  I can get a bit analytical at times, but also just love the "feel" of the sport, so I tend to be an active contributor and have a positive outlook on the whole thing (sometimes my desire to have fun conflicts with my desire to go fast, which is when I stop thinking and just move!).  I hope that the questions I post up will also be of value, but time will tell!  Looking forward to learning more about the HIM distance and figuring out to mesh that with starting an OLY block...

Best,

Matt

2013-05-02 12:30 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'd love to join as well!

Name: Nicole

Profession: Chemical Engineer

Story: For five or so years, scuba diving was my passion -- I lived in LA and was able to get in 100+ dives in the Pacific each year.  Then my favorite dive buddies decided to either get into or focus more on endurance sports.  I was quite content with my diving habit (and weight lifting and elliptical use for staying in shape and healthy), so I was somewhat reluctant, but eventually bought a bike and realized that it was a ton of fun.  Eventually, I started swimming and running and signed up for my first tri....it's a had a strong hold ever since (though it's only been just over a year now).

2013 Races: My A race is Vineman 70.3 in July.  I think I'll be doing a HIM aquabike in late May, and may consider another HIM toward the end of the season.  Currently battling a knee injury, so Vineman may become an aquabike....and assuming I'm able to get through the knee injury, I'd like to actually race a HIM, hence the one toward the end of the season.

Weight Loss: I fluctuate in the 118-120 range and I'm pretty happy with it, so it's mostly about maintenance for now. 

Current Training: I'm right in the middle of my Vineman 70.3 training, so I'm typically putting in 9-12 hours a week of SBR training.  At this time, I'm doing zero running, but trying to get out walking for the amount of time I'd be spending running.  I do a few sessions on the trainer (using TrainerRoad and Sufferfest) in addition to one long ride each week, and usually four Master's swimming session each week.

I'm just now starting Physical Therapy (again, but with a different therapist and a different focus), so hopefully the knee issues will resolve and I'll be able to start running again.  I am quite certain that I can't (safely) get my volume up to race a 70.3 in July, but I'm hoping to be able to at least run part of it.

2013-05-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4724308

2013-05-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4724211

2013-05-02 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4724206

2013-05-02 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4724124

2013-05-02 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4723994

2013-05-02 2:00 PM

Fred D - 2013-05-02 4:17 AM

Name: Jason Nakayama

Profession: Financial Risk Analyst.

Current training: Main focus is on Honu 70.3 on June 1st and the State Individual TT 40k Championships on June 9th.  After that, my schedule is a bit up in the air as I'm awaiting some information on the availability of some races I'd like to do either later in the year or early in 2014.  Either way, there will be lots of training over the summer...just not sure in what direction.

2013 races: Already did a few TTs and a running race.  Honu, State ITT, then a bunch of maybes including cycling road races, OWS races, half marathon, marathon, and a couple of tris.  Just don't know right now, but wil have a clearer picture in about a month.

Weight loss goals: I've finally worked hard this year at weight loss and am around 150 pounds for the first time since HS.  The past 3 years I've raced at around 155-160.  I'm looking to race Honu at around 148-150, then try to settle in around 145 for the rest of the year.  I have struggled with weight in the past.  About 5 years ago I was right at 200 pounds, and for someone who's only 5'6", that's was a pretty low time for me.  I've gone through all the swings before, tried diets, etc...but what has worked is simply being consistant with training and being sensible with what I eat over a long period of time.

What would make me a good mentor?  I love talking about SBR.  I really love to ride my bike.  I've been a part of BT for almost 4 years and have absorbed a ton of knowledge from many of the great people here.  Like Fred mentioned, I am by no means an expert on everything, or maybe anything at all.  But I do subscribe to the main principles of training that it should be fun, it needs to be consistant, and it doesn't need to be complicated.

Who would benefit from this group?  Being a part of a few of Fred's previous groups, I can tell you that I completely agree with his approach to this group.  There are topics that are better left for Triathlon Talk or Cup of Joe, which I do participate in, but this group is all about SBR.  If you simply want to discuss SBR topics here, you are going to see a huge benefit as there truely are a number of great contributors.

2013-05-02 2:02 PM

Am I the only one getting the white background that some threads get?  This is going to irritate the heck out of me...LOL.
2013-05-02 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4723913

bgeyeguy - 2013-05-02 5:07 AM

Brian Gonzales

Welcome to the group Brian.  You sound like you have a great approach to training and keeping things balanced.  Running improvements is something you really have to be consistant with in training, and patient with in seeing results.  Staying injury free thus far is a huge bonus.

2013-05-02 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4723930

kimmax - 2013-05-02 5:13 AM

Name: Kimmax / Marcia

Hi Marcia.  Feel free to all the questions you have.  I guarantee you that I have asked them at one point down the road, or someone else asked it for me and I learned from it.

2013-05-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4723945

mcmanusclan5 - 2013-05-02 5:17 AM

Matt 

Definately ok to join.  There really is a lot in common between short course and HIM distances.  If I were training for only Olympic races, my training wouldn't be that much different.

2013-05-02 2:13 PM

Master
Crab Cake City

Hello Fred & Jason,

I would love to join if you will have me. You both offer such sound advice on the forum and I would love to benefit from that while training for my first HIM in October. Here is my BIO.

Name- Matt McGuik

AGE- 29

LOCATION- Baltimore, MD

YEARS IN TRIATHLON- This will be my fourth season

PROFESSION- Police Officer

MARITAL STATUS- Engaged and will be getting married in September.

MY STORY- In 2010 I weighed 265lbs and was really out of shape and didnt really notice. I was vacationing in Dewey Beach, DE with my girlfriend (now Fiance) and some friends were talking about the Dewey Beach Triathlon. My G/F thought it would be a fun thing to do and said we should do it. I of course knew that I couldn't do it and made every excuse in the book to shy away from any physical activity. One night soon after we had a polite discussion about my weight and how I needed to make a change. I decided to sign up for the Dewey Beach Triathlon as a way of getting in shape. Since my first sprint triathlon I have done several sprints, an olympic, several half marathons, 5k's and 10'ks. I currently weigh 197lbs and am in the best shape of my life. I am very lucky to have such a supportive Fiance who shares my passion for endurance sports (it so much fun to do together). She and triathlon really did save my life and I am so much better for having her and this sport in my life. I am currently a member of a local tri club and am making significant improvements in all three sports over the years. I have been successful with my weight loss and havent gained a pound back in over 3 years.

CURRENT TRAINING- My work schedule is very hectic so I make time for training when I can. I didn't really have a specific training plan for my first "Race" of the year which is the POLICE UNITY TOUR 280mile bike ride. I will be doing that next week. I will be working with a coach who helps our triathlon club to aid me in traiding for my first HIM this October. I know that I really need to buckle down and stay consistent for the HIM and have discussed it with the Fiance the importance of hitting key workouts. I am not sure what my plan will consist of since we havent met to put it together yet but we will be doing that when I get back from my bike ride.

2013 RACES- Next week I am doing the Police Unity Tour bike ride to raise money for the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial and that is 280miles over 4 days. This will be a great test for me as I have not spent that much time in the saddle before but I feel it will give me great confidence since 2 days of the ride are 90 mile days.

-The Columbia Triathlon- Olympic Distance: Columbia, MD

-Rev3 Half Full Triathlon- My First HIM: Columbia, MD

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS- I am 197lbs now. I think I would be happy to race around 190lbs come HIM day. I would like to tone up some more with ST.

I am not one that frequently posts anything political so I will refrain from any posts that are not SBR in the forum. I am really excited to be a part of this group and soak up as much information as possible if I can join. I look forward to talking with you all and sharing my training experiences with you.

2013-05-02 2:14 PM

Florida

I would like to join!

Name: Sara

Profession: Government/Legal

Story:  For many years I was a weight lifter and short distance runner (5k). This has been my routine since high school to well beyond college years. A few years ago my daughter made the local swim team and I had to swim in the lane with her when she wanted to do extra training because she wasnt old enough to swim in the lanes alone. After seeing me swim daily, several people began asking me what event I was training for. This led to purchase of a race road bike, and lots of triathlon gear. This weekend I'll complete my official first full year of triathlon events. The N Florida Olympic and Sprint was my first event, and I call it my one year anniversary with triathlon. 

2013 Races: Completed a Half Marathon, numerous 5 and 10k's, a Sprint and my first Olympic for my 2013 races to date. My race calendar includes: 3 Sprints, a Century or two, and a HIM in September. I will also run another Half Marathon or two, and two or three more shorter races.

Weight Loss: I fluctuate in the 106-112 range but I need to train harder and more frequently for these upcoming events. Mostly, I do the events to finish middle of the pak because I never want to be last, and to have lots of fun! 

Current Training: I'm training for Sprint distance races and soon will be moving to the HIM training plan. I attempt to train as much as 18 hours a week, but average closer to 13 hours a week right now. My hours will increase during the summer months because I have more flexibility with children making a Fall HIM ideal for me.  At this time, I'm completing 3-4 runs, 2-3 swims, and 2-3 cycling sessions on the trainer in addition to 1-2 long rides on weekends. My ideal routine is to run and swim most week days and I'm reorganizing my routine to resume that schedule.

Last year I had a few cycling related injuries over the summer, and a sprained ankle in the Fall. Winter training was fairly good, but coming off Winter training and getting back into a regular routine is coming around very slow for me. I hope to be both inspired and to share the journey with other persons training for a HIM.

Edited by TriMom22 2013-05-02 2:19 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51