BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-31 3:01 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by carrie639

Dumb questions, but I thought you didn't wear socks on the bike? Do you wear there for certain distances? No for shorter, yes for longer?

I don't if its warm. IMFL is cold in the morning.

2013-05-31 3:02 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by carrie639 Dumb questions, but I thought you didn't wear socks on the bike? Do you wear there for certain distances? No for shorter, yes for longer?

Didn't wear any for IMTX.  Glad I didn't flying dismount there too.  Lot's of folks blistered their feet on the pavement between the bikes and the changing tents.

2013-05-31 3:09 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Regular
I can see that not wearing socks would save a few seconds in transition, so in that sense it would be useful.  That said, I'm not there yet.  I haven't done the work in training to make sure I wouldn't get blisters, and I also have lots of other low-hanging fruit to gain bigger chunks of time. 
2013-05-31 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I have trained all winter with no socks, but still has not been warm enough to go without outside ... this weekend as well.

Nutrition question again: Long brick on Sunday, gonna really work on fluids and cliff blocks and timing. I will do the apple sauce and banana before, that seems to work. Since it is 3-3.5 hr ride with a short run after, do I need solid for and HIM? Kelly, I think mentioned honey stinger products ... bars or waffles? Thoughts?
2013-05-31 3:29 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by Kuma I can see that not wearing socks would save a few seconds in transition, so in that sense it would be useful.  That said, I'm not there yet.  I haven't done the work in training to make sure I wouldn't get blisters, and I also have lots of other low-hanging fruit to gain bigger chunks of time. 

Same here.  I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but so many other things I can do now to gain time.

2013-05-31 3:37 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by carrie639 I have trained all winter with no socks, but still has not been warm enough to go without outside ... this weekend as well. Nutrition question again: Long brick on Sunday, gonna really work on fluids and cliff blocks and timing. I will do the apple sauce and banana before, that seems to work. Since it is 3-3.5 hr ride with a short run after, do I need solid for and HIM? Kelly, I think mentioned honey stinger products ... bars or waffles? Thoughts?

Need?  No.  It's more a satiety issue.  You can go blocks or gels the whole way if that works for you.  Honey Stinger waffles are fine.  2 waffles roughly = 1 powerbar or cliff bar

2013-05-31 3:40 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by mleech77

Originally posted by Kuma I can see that not wearing socks would save a few seconds in transition, so in that sense it would be useful.  That said, I'm not there yet.  I haven't done the work in training to make sure I wouldn't get blisters, and I also have lots of other low-hanging fruit to gain bigger chunks of time. 

Same here.  I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but so many other things I can do now to gain time.

It's not as much a time thing as a comfort thing for me.  90% of the race/training time in Houston is 80 degrees plus.  The ventilation tri specific bike shoes provide is nice.  That said the rides in the winter are brutal on the toes for the same reason.  More mesh and ventilation than road shoes = frozen toes even with several layers of socks.

2013-05-31 9:12 PM

User image

I am so so sorry to hear about the hamstring Kelly. Really take it easy with the running.....well meaning NONE at least for awhile (I tore mine day after New Year's in 2009... I was stubborn and kept running and that really set me back) Sending you good vibes
2013-06-01 4:28 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by kidtri33
Originally posted by mleech77 Thanks for the input on the bikes gang.  Larkin, do you have any recommendations for local fitters that would be good for this.  I know if I use the fitters at Bike Lane, or Performance they're going to automatically push me towards one of the brands they sell instead of other potential options.
Well, that is a good question. They will definitely push you towards one of those most likely. However, I think most shops around here are going to do that. I would call around, there is Spikes, Tri360(newer shop), Bike lane of course, and bicycle outfitters. Bike Outfitters has probably the bigger selection of brands so you may have better luck with them. I know one of the guys that works there and can ask him what he thinks might be best.

The key is to try and get your stack and reach measurements.  Then you can play around here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/

Thanks guys.  I'll definitely check out some of those shops Larkin and see what comes of it.   Scott, that website should come in very handy.

Another sprint tri for me this weekend.  Should be a mostly flat bike and run course, but it will be my first openwater swim.   A little nervous about the hustle and bustle of the crowd so we'll just have to see how it goes.  Looking forward to giving the adjustments on the bike a full workout, only was able to take it out for a quick jaunt around the neighborhood last night.

Good luck with the race this weekend. Is it going to be hot? Post the results when you can.
2013-06-01 4:44 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Dumb questions, but I thought you didn't wear socks on the bike? Do you wear there for certain distances? No for shorter, yes for longer?

I don't if its warm. IMFL is cold in the morning.

For IM distance races, do you coat your feet with something to help with hot spots if you don't wear socks? I don't intend to wear socks for MT unless it's very cold.

I do wear socks on the run, and that includes the olympic distance. It takes me 2 seconds to put them on. I get blisters every time if I don't.
2013-06-01 4:45 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by kidtri33
Originally posted by mleech77 Thanks for the input on the bikes gang.  Larkin, do you have any recommendations for local fitters that would be good for this.  I know if I use the fitters at Bike Lane, or Performance they're going to automatically push me towards one of the brands they sell instead of other potential options.
Well, that is a good question. They will definitely push you towards one of those most likely. However, I think most shops around here are going to do that. I would call around, there is Spikes, Tri360(newer shop), Bike lane of course, and bicycle outfitters. Bike Outfitters has probably the bigger selection of brands so you may have better luck with them. I know one of the guys that works there and can ask him what he thinks might be best.

The key is to try and get your stack and reach measurements.  Then you can play around here:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach/

Thanks guys.  I'll definitely check out some of those shops Larkin and see what comes of it.   Scott, that website should come in very handy.

Another sprint tri for me this weekend.  Should be a mostly flat bike and run course, but it will be my first openwater swim.   A little nervous about the hustle and bustle of the crowd so we'll just have to see how it goes.  Looking forward to giving the adjustments on the bike a full workout, only was able to take it out for a quick jaunt around the neighborhood last night.

Good luck with the race this weekend. Is it going to be hot? Post the results when you can.

x2! Kick some butt and have a great time! Report back with details

2013-06-01 4:52 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had the opportunity to sleep in this morning, but did my body want to do that? No. I'm so used to getting up early that sleeping in is foreign to me. Anyway, heading down to Columbus in a few hours to pick up my race packet and check in at the hotel. My ILs are watching my kids for the night so I really get to focus on myself. It feels good

The difficult thing about traveling to a race is that I have to take most of my food for the weekend. It sucks having a severe food allergy. I can't really trust what other people make me the day before my race. Luckily we have our own kitchen and grill at IMMT so I can prepare my own stuff there.

Have a wonderful weekend!
2013-06-01 5:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Quassy Rev3 Tomorrow, can't wait - first trip of the season, water temps are perfect!!! Hills are "mean", and I hope the hay is in the barn!"
2013-06-01 5:50 AM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Haymarket, VA

Kelly, I hope your hamstring feels better.

Temps for my tri tomorrow should be in the high 70's low 80's by the time I'm finishing, but very humid.  Water temps have been in the low to mid 70's so it will definitely be a wetsuit race.  I actually forgot that I had a surfing wetsuit I purchased a few years back.  It has a lot more range of motion than my scuba wetsuits.  I'm going to bring that with me, but also stopping by my local shop to see their costs to purchase and to rent.

May Totals for me:

SWIM 7h 12m 27s - 18950.00 M
BIKE 2h 19m 10s - 34.23 Mi
RUN 3h 06m 36s - 18.33 Mi

2013-06-01 6:01 AM

User image

Regular

Good luck, Virginia Matt, Todd, and whoever else is racing this weekend.  Break a leg!  

2013-06-01 6:26 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

2013-06-01 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Good luck Matt,Todd,and Jen!!!! Hope you all have great races! Can't wait to hear about them!!
2013-06-01 7:49 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Expert
Finally had a day where my legs felt alive on the bike. I did a 22 mile ride with two 3 mile intervals spaced out. I did them as over unders as Kelly had suggested and I swear that's what shook the rust off. I got up to speed and then kept going up for 30 second bursts up and then back to steady state. The great part was just as I was about to start my second a voice behind me says good morning do you mind if we tag along. I looked back and there were 6 riders. I said sure I'm actually giong to start an interval so I'll be happy to pull you and get the extra motivation. He said awesome and off we went. Winds picked up and the last 3 or 4 miles the headwind was a steady 10-15. Been a weird year where the winds are always off the land and not the water.

Did a run of just over 4 miles after and still felt really good. Hopefully it carries over.
2013-06-01 1:47 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Matt, Jenn, and Todd you are all gonna kick it and make us proud!!!!
2013-06-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kr140.6

Matt, Jenn, and Todd you are all gonna kick it and make us proud!!!!

Kick some butt!
2013-06-01 3:15 PM
in reply to: kr140.6

User image

Veteran
X2...Good luck Todd and Jen (already said good luck Matt). Have a blast. Looking forward to reading your stellar results.

So I did 58 miles on the bike today and kept it generally in the Z1 and low Z2 range per explicit instructions except for some big hills (we have lots). Really pleased with my pace....18.5mph (taking it easy). IT was also really hot. Passed tons on group rides. Once hit 36mph. I had TONs of energy left...could have kept going and going. This gives me some confidence for my HIM in Sept.

BTW....Scott I have no idea how on earth you survived in those temps. It's 90 here today...in the upper 80s when I finished my ride. I then watched Elsa play 3 lacrosse games...sitting in the shade...melting. A marathon in the 90s....100s.... that is just amazing.

Also did 1.3 miles OWS...avg pace 1.44....which is slow for a lot here but for me I am pleased...better yet I took it super easy...and no anxiety or breathing problems.

The beer I am about to have is going to taste good.

2013-06-01 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
About 1:20 run today, 75 degrees, 73% humidity. Drank about 1.25 bottles of perform and took blocks. All was good! Tomorrow will tell me a lot, 50 mile bike and short run. Got to really focus on nutrition!
2013-06-02 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd X2...Good luck Todd and Jen (already said good luck Matt). Have a blast. Looking forward to reading your stellar results. So I did 58 miles on the bike today and kept it generally in the Z1 and low Z2 range per explicit instructions except for some big hills (we have lots). Really pleased with my pace....18.5mph (taking it easy). IT was also really hot. Passed tons on group rides. Once hit 36mph. I had TONs of energy left...could have kept going and going. This gives me some confidence for my HIM in Sept. BTW....Scott I have no idea how on earth you survived in those temps. It's 90 here today...in the upper 80s when I finished my ride. I then watched Elsa play 3 lacrosse games...sitting in the shade...melting. A marathon in the 90s....100s.... that is just amazing. Also did 1.3 miles OWS...avg pace 1.44....which is slow for a lot here but for me I am pleased...better yet I took it super easy...and no anxiety or breathing problems. The beer I am about to have is going to taste good.

Hahaha.  I caught both ends of double headers in this weather as a kid.  It's just how we roll.  I'm looking forward to riding in Lake Placid in a few weeks. 

So today was that awkward moment when you log into Training Peaks and all that is there are swim workouts.  FML.  Racing next Sunday though.  We'll see if there is a top gear there.

2013-06-02 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Rode with a large group this morning which is something I don't do often. The group was various abilities and everybody else was on a road bike. It was interesting the way the ride went down. The pace the first half was mostly slow but every once in a while somebody would randomly go on a breakaway and I had fun reeling them in. People attacked at places I normally wouldn't which forced me out of my comfort zone. The second half a group decided to pound about 75% and go really slow 25%. I joined that group of 6 and everybody else got dropped. The overall pace for the ride was nothing special but some of the hill attacks were especially great. Did a 4 mile run at the end at a good pace especially considering my quads were burning from the hill work.
2013-06-02 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular

Yesterday was a long ride for me also - 53 hilly miles, including this year's first conquest of one of the hardest hills around here - Harp Hill, outside Wolfsville, MD. I was pretty cooked by the end, but it was a good ride. Temperatures were hot here also, tho not as hot as it sounds like Chris and others had.

Went riding as part of a family camping trip, so had to set up tents after finishing and showering. Camping is great fun with kids, of course, but our four-year-olds require a lot of watching. We're not to the point where any activity with them is really relaxing... ;-). Trying to catch up on sleep this afternoon.

Has anyone heard any results from Matt, Todd, and Jen (whom I shamefully left out before - sorry Jen!)?

Edited by Kuma 2013-06-02 2:16 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86