Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-07-29 4:41 PM
in reply to: Panther

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core

Originally posted by Panther I didn't fall off the wagon....I actually fell down the stairs. Seriously. I feel like a moron. Anyhoo.....decided on no run, swim or core until Tuesday to let my ego/body heal.

Oh crap! Are you OK?

Scary--hope you're on the mend :)

2013-07-29 4:50 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
LHOTP
2013-07-29 5:16 PM
in reply to: Panther

User image

Master

Originally posted by Panther I didn't fall off the wagon....I actually fell down the stairs. Seriously. I feel like a moron. Anyhoo.....decided on no run, swim or core until Tuesday to let my ego/body heal.

Ugh! I did that myself a few weeks ago. Felt the effects for a couple of weeks. Undecided

Take it easy and really listen when your body says OWWWW!

2013-07-29 5:19 PM

User image

Master

Ha! Jason was just telling me about this last week. We got busy and he forgot to show me the video. Thanks for reminding me, so now I can watch...and try?Surprised

2013-07-29 7:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I've been lurking through this thread.  I know some core work would help me a lot but I have to be careful how I go about it because I had major surgery four years ago and had an eight inch incision from a few inches above my bellybutton straight down.  I've been afraid to do much of this type of stuff for fear of popping myself open.  I know that can't happen but certain abdominal exercises just freak me out.

Anyway, I tried this because it looked like it was more focused on the outer side muscles.  It didn't feel comfortable.  Just a little too much jostling.  Any suggestions on some easier core exercises to build my confidence and get me going?

2013-07-29 7:50 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Ha! Jason was just telling me about this last week. We got busy and he forgot to show me the video. Thanks for reminding me, so now I can watch...and try?Surprised

Hold the phone...you got busy or you got busy?

Did you just tell us you got busy instead of doing core?

Erin, I'm sure it counts:)

Now if you can do the wall thing while you're getting busy, I will be very, very impressed.

2013-07-29 7:51 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Originally posted by popsracer

I've been lurking through this thread.  I know some core work would help me a lot but I have to be careful how I go about it because I had major surgery four years ago and had an eight inch incision from a few inches above my bellybutton straight down.  I've been afraid to do much of this type of stuff for fear of popping myself open.  I know that can't happen but certain abdominal exercises just freak me out.

Anyway, I tried this because it looked like it was more focused on the outer side muscles.  It didn't feel comfortable.  Just a little too much jostling.  Any suggestions on some easier core exercises to build my confidence and get me going?

Hey man, I had my spleen removed from a radical car accident. Incision straight down from my solar plexus to below my belly button. Don't worry about it bro. Just get on with life. I hate my abs, and my scar, but I moved on. Four years ago? you've healed up plenty. Just do it. Seriously..... just do it. And this crew want's an ab pic? LMFAO! Like I said...that is a 'Lose-your-Lunch' scenario over here.... but I'm in it to win it....even with the scar tissue. You can do it too my man. You can do it!
2013-07-29 7:59 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

You've been lurking! 

You stinker.  You should have joined us a long time ago.  Yay! Welcome.

Have you been cleared by your doc for abdominal work?

Give me a baseline of where you are right now. 

You currently S/B/R, yes?  Do you lift at all?  Do you currently do any core?  Have you tried a plank recently?

2013-07-29 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Hold the phone...you got busy or you got busy?

Did you just tell us you got busy instead of doing core?

Erin, I'm sure it counts

Now if you can do the wall thing while you're getting busy, I will be very, very impressed.

In the pool...

2013-07-29 8:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

You've been lurking! 

You currently S/B/R, yes?  Do you lift at all?  Do you currently do any core?  Have you tried a plank recently?

I am sure my doc would say it is fine.  Sometimes it just feels kind of weird.  All of those muscles were sliced open and at the time I do not think they were too concerned about my ability to do a plank when they sewed me back together.  It was a very nasty, aggressive soft tissue cancer that was in my lower abdomen, around my kidney, and large intenstine.  They actually opened me back up seven days after my first surgery to get better margins after the grim pathology reports.  My survival rate was not good but by the grace of God I'm doing things (like still living) that are somewhat miraculous.

You can see from logs what I've been up to.  Not huge volumes but I try to be consistent.  Since my surgeries, radiation, and chemo I've done 5 marathons, 2 IM's, 3 HIM's, a few Oly's and dozens of 5k's, 10k's, HM's.  I am actually faster than I was four years ago.  I'm doing an HM next weekend, and my first ultra, a 12 hour race, in a couple of weeks.  Next month I'll do an HIM and should crush my PR.

I don't lift or do any core.  I'm lucky if I do 30 seconds of stretching before a run.  I see great value in some strength and core but have put my time into more s/b/r.  Anyway, I've been on such a great stretch of no injuries and have seen so much improvement that I want to explore a few other avenues like core to take me to the next level.  I feel I'm on the verge of more breakthrough.  So back to core, what would be some relatively easy exercises to boost my confidence and get me going?  I really appreciate the feedback. 

Edited by popsracer 2013-07-29 8:22 PM
2013-07-29 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

You've been lurking! 

You can see from logs what I've been up to.  Not huge volumes but I try to be consistent.  Since my surgeries, radiation, and chemo I've done 5 marathons, 2 IM's, 3 HIM's, a few Oly's and dozens of 5k's, 10k's, HM's.  I am actually faster than I was four years ago.  I'm doing an HM next weekend, and my first ultra, a 12 hour race, in a couple of weeks.  Next month I'll do an HIM and should crush my PR.

I'm gonna spend some time looking at your logs tomorrow.  I want to see how in the HELL you've done all of that in the past four years and beaten this cancer into submission (I like that better than remission).  So completely awesome Pops.  Really.  That is an amazing story. Hugs.

Why don't we try one exercise a day and add to that as we go?  A little conservative based on your fitness, but if we do one new one a day for 10 days, you'll be up to (or well over) ten minutes and you'll have 10 options under your belt. 

I think the first thing to try is a straight forward crunch. 

*Knees bent, feet on the floor, hip distance apart (or bent knees with heels on the floor if that feels better).                           *Hands behind the head at the base of the occiput, elbows wide, lifting the head and drawing the navel down as you come up.      *Try to maintain a fist-sized space between the bottom of your chin and your chest as you lift the head up.                              *Exhale up, inhale down.

Why don't you try 6 sets of 20 to start. You determine the rest interval could be a few seconds between sets...could be up to a minute.  The important thing is that you rest long enough to maintain really good form through the end of the set--keeping that navel drawn down toward the spine and the abs concave.

Noelle will add on to this tomorrow. We'll tag-team you up to 10;)

2013-07-29 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

You've been lurking! 

I am sure my doc would say it is fine.  Sometimes it just feels kind of weird.  All of those muscles were sliced open and at the time I do not think they were too concerned about my ability to do a plank when they sewed me back together.  It was a very nasty, aggressive soft tissue cancer that was in my lower abdomen, around my kidney, and large intenstine.  They actually opened me back up seven days after my first surgery to get better margins after the grim pathology reports.  My survival rate was not good but by the grace of God I'm doing things (like still living) that are somewhat miraculous.

I don't lift or do any core.  I'm lucky if I do 30 seconds of stretching before a run.  I see great value in some strength and core but have put my time into more s/b/r.  Anyway, I've been on such a great stretch of no injuries and have seen so much improvement that I want to explore a few other avenues like core to take me to the next level.  I feel I'm on the verge of more breakthrough.  So back to core, what would be some relatively easy exercises to boost my confidence and get me going?  I really appreciate the feedback. 

Thanks for sharing your story. Awesome. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished.

Conquering this core stuff will be nothing for you after that battle. Just start easy and build into it like anything else. Simple crunches would be a great start. Take a look on th Internet for an "inverted bridge" which should be a good confidence booster. Then when that is good, switch to doing that with one leg extended. I'd also try out a "kneeling arm and leg extension". These are both simple moves that will benefit your core muscles greatly and should be good help for all three disciplines.

I've always liked reading your posts, and now I will enjoy them even moreso. Very inspiring!!!
2013-07-29 9:57 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Hey guys, have been crazy busy, but I have been keeping up with my abs since vacation. So checking in for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and tonight.

On the road this week for work in Dayton, OH. My hotel is about 3 miles from a metro park (Cox Arboretum) had a great 5ish mile trail run then did my abs in the hotel room. I think I'm going to try Insanity cardio abs this week. We'll see how it goes!

Chris
2013-07-29 10:22 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

OK, day one is in the books.  I want to add a little strength into this so added the pushups.

6 x 20 crunches

5 x 10 pushups

30 reps each side inverted bridge

Holy ice breaker!!  I've had a lot of fear over doing this and this was huge for me.  My core is a lot stronger than I thought, probably because of all the swimming.  You guys/gals are awesome.  Thanks for your help.

2013-07-30 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, I had no idea. There are so many people on this board with inspirational stories to share. I am really impressed, and more so after a quick glance at your logs.  Strong work on your part, welcome to the tomfoolery, Steve!

2013-07-30 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I dunno...but I feel like I've been slacking.  Foot in mouth

x2 on mastering the plank and its variations (side, push-up position, on a fit ball).  It takes a while before you start to "feel" it correctly, where the tension in your muscles gets evenly distributed across the front and back of your core.  Back bridges and their variations using a fitball are great as well.  Another good beginner exercise is a modified bicycle crunch, where you lie on your back and alternate pulling your legs up with your hands just below the knee.  You can adjust the amount of assistance as you see fit, and eventually you'll do them without holding on.

I have L4/L5 spondylolisthesis, and I was terrified of core work.  Swimming got the core ready and then I just progressed.  I'm still really careful about anything that stresses the lower back but by and large I can try almost anything.  The mental barrier is the toughest.  Good luck!

2013-07-30 9:33 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, day one is in the books.  I want to add a little strength into this so added the pushups.

6 x 20 crunches

5 x 10 pushups

Holy ice breaker!!  I've had a lot of fear over doing this and this was huge for me.  My core is a lot stronger than I thought, probably because of all the swimming.  You guys/gals are awesome.  Thanks for your help.

Excellent! Fun to have you with us :)
2013-07-30 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

6 x 20 crunches

5 x 10 pushups

Wow, gone for a few days and we have another new member!  Welcome Steve, sounds like you are well on your way.  Has no one asked this fine gentleman for a core pic yet??  If you've been lurking you'll see that most of us broke down and posted a core selfie before pic Laughing

2013-07-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by noelle1230

6 x 20 crunches

5 x 10 pushups

Wow, gone for a few days and we have another new member!  Welcome Steve, sounds like you are well on your way.  Has no one asked this fine gentleman for a core pic yet??  If you've been lurking you'll see that most of us broke down and posted a core selfie before pic Laughing

I guess I knew that was coming.  I have figured out how to post pictures that are already on the internet or are in a file on my computer but I don't know how to get them posted via my cellphone cam.  Can someone provide some technical assistance?

2013-07-30 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by noelle1230

6 x 20 crunches

5 x 10 pushups

I guess I knew that was coming.  I have figured out how to post pictures that are already on the internet or are in a file on my computer but I don't know how to get them posted via my cellphone cam.  Can someone provide some technical assistance?

Sure.  You'll need to upload the pictures from your cell camera to either your computer or some shared web pic site like Photobucket or Picasa Web (I use the latter).  There's an app for picasa web, at least for Android anyway.  I guess you could upload the pic via the BT mobile site but I wouldn't know how to do that.

2013-07-30 1:21 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Before

(before.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
before.jpg (51KB - 15 downloads)

2013-07-30 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yes!!! Excellent :)

You're officially in now.

2013-07-30 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
OK, that was a little weird.  I had to send to a coworker to email to me because my old school phone wouldn't let me upload.  I am feeling a little like Anthony Weiner.
2013-07-30 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Before

Awesome, not bad there Steve!  We'll get that into the core photo album.  By we, I mean Chris will Laughing  What's our guy versus girl pic count?  I think we're down at least two now.

2013-07-30 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by popsracer OK, that was a little weird.  I had to send to a coworker to email to me because my old school phone wouldn't let me upload.  I am feeling a little like Anthony Weiner.

It's not like that.  Really.  Don't listen to Salty.

:)

Total aside, I really like your door.  I have a soft spot for five panels.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10580 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.