BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-04 5:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by Asalzwed

OK, seriously, Salty:

I did my last long run (12.13) in 1:58:08 and my shorter runs have been in the 9min/mile range so I'd like to push for the 2:15. Too much?

She did a training run of 12.13 in 1:58?  If you didn't know anything else but that, what would you say she should pace for?

I'd have a lot of questions before I would give her an exact pace. Smile

damnresponsiblesmartypants

Yeah, yeah keep it comin'

It's a very rare occasion where I get called one of those things. And all combined? Pssssh

Maybe just pants, regularly. 

2013-10-04 5:37 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by brigby1

I'm kind of in the same boat as Ben. I want to get faster.  I went out on a limb in COJ a few weeks ago and laid out some pretty specific goals, but in thinking about goal setting more, I'm not sure that's how I should be framing things in my mind.  What I said it COJ is that I would like to qualify for Worlds in both the Oly and 70.3 distances (I have specific goal times for these in my head, though others have cautioned me against this.  I can't help it.) and qualify for Boston. 

Any one of those things would be a significant "reach" for me, but all three would be a coup. I am turning 40 next year, mid life crisis, party of one...

In thinking about these goals more, I am thinking I should reframe them a bit, as I could have good tri races for me, but still not qualify, depending on who shows up.  It would be silly to be bent out of shape about that.  So, I'm going to try to get faster, and hopefully that will result in me placing well in my races--aging up won't hurt either

To do this I need to do a few things:

• Be consistent in all three sports.
  • Be very careful about doing non SBR things that build lean body mass.
  • Be careful with my diet and see where my body weight gravitates while properly fueling for training but not over indulging.  I "think" I would be faster if I could lose 10lbs, but I have never been that light in my adult life and I don't know if that's realistic.  I probably need to do better meal and snack planning to support this goal.
  • I need to be better about my sleep.  I need to make this a priority for recovery, sickness prevention, and stress reduction.
  • I need to remember to have a purpose for each training session.  Salty, this was such a gift you gave me.  Thank you. xo.
  • Try to do these things while minimizing the impact on my family.

Something I meant to ask earlier since you seem to really be into various "World's" events, are you looking at things outside of those two? There is Nats for Long Course (70.3, really) which then goes ITU Worlds Long Course, not to be confused with WTC's World Championship. Plus others like a few duathlon distances. Sprint, Standard, Long. Long seems a bit odd as it's often similar to an oly here (10k/40k/5k), but World's is like 10k/150k/30k.

I don't really know much about anything--I'm now officially starting my second year of training. Lol.Seriously, the amount I don't know and don't understand is a little daunting.

I don't know what the appeal of "Worlds" events are--I think it's really just the idea of working towards a time and then doing well enough in a race to qualify for the next thing.  That's the competitive dork in me--I'll be happy if I get a good time, but there's something about making "the cut" which is a huge carrot in the thick of a race.

I just heard about Nats for Long Course, but ITU long course? Is that a draft legal format?  In which case, I would be out, as the idea of riding that way is terrifying.  I think my bike (a Shiv) doesn't meet ITU standards either.  OK, both of these things I kinda feel like I'm pulling out of my azz, so I could be way wrong on both counts.

I've never done a DU, but I should probably try one sometime, as swimming is definitely my weakest link.  the "long" Worlds DU sounds tough--10k/150k/30k.  I'm probably a couple of years of base away from trying anything like that.  Are you considering it?  How do you pick your races, Ben?

The Worlds things that are in places like France?? I'm not sure I could ever get ready to ride like that while living in Iowa

Almost none of the ITU stuff for amateurs is draft legal, including Worlds from placing at Nationals. None of the long course for anyone is draft legal (pros included). I kind of float back and forth on Worlds stuff. It sounds interesting to see and say I went, but I really haven't enjoyed the events I've done when it was more for prestige type things. Anything beyond the course itself being rather interesting and it tends to become a mess. I'd been keeping an eye on LC Nats as it's at Rev3 SC this year (next weekend) and that course sounds fun, but it's moving next year to Grand Rapids, MI. Some early reports have the course as rather boring, so not as appealing even though the travel wouldn't be much for me. Maybe like Nats sprint next year as it's very close for me and it'd be more for the social aspect of seeing others there. I don't know if I'll have any qualifying races for the Oly yet. If I had the resources, I think some of the European things would be more likely as well. It'd be more than just a race going there, so I'd get that adventure in somehow or other.

There are also things like Aquathon (swim/run) and Aquabike (swim/bike), but I can't see the second one being as appealing to you. Wink I'll be thinking awhile this time about what I want to do for next year and going forward. Running isn't really appealing right now and it hasn't been for some time. Probably just maintenance for awhile and see where it goes. I still want to like it, but really haven't when I get to it. Past duathlons were a lot of fun. Sure you'll love them.

What would be the issue with training in Iowa? It's as if I'd be just fine in Illinois? Tongue out

2013-10-04 8:10 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by amd723

So the email came in from RnR Denver with all the final detail stuff. I'm pretty stoked but still trying to not get my hopes up in case I can't go. There were a couple things I found interesting.

First was thatthe aid station with Gu is at 10.7 for a HM?! Guess I'll be bringing my own Gu.

Next was the "pace teams". I was thinking of trying to follow a pacer for 2:15. Never done that before but not sure how that would work since I signed up for a 2:20 time.  Here is there info on pace teams:

PACE TEAM

We’ve partnered with Runner’s Edge of the Rockies to provide the Official Pace Team for the race. Experienced pacers will help you reach the finish line at your goal time. Pace Teams are FREE and open to all participants. Visit the Runner’s Edge of the Rockies booth at the Expo to join a Pace Team. Pace groups offered include:

Half Marathon: 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, 2:00, 2:15, and 2:30

Pacers generally have some way of identifying themselves (sometime they carry a flag, sometimes it's on a shirt or both)

I've never seen a race where you have to "register" with a pace team. You just catch up to them (or start with them) and run with them. So, your projected finishing time was probably just to put you in the correct starting coral. However, often they are at the expo (as noted above) and you can chat with the leaders about their strategy etc.

I am guessing the 2:15 and 2:20 will be in the same corral, but if for some reason they are not, the paces are similar enough you will catch up with them naturally (unless the corral starts obscenely later, but I doubt it)

As for actually using a pace team? I can't say a solid yes or a solid no. I often see pace teams NOT hit their pace and I often see them running really inconsistently, as the pacers are human, just like you and I. There is also the element of running as a pack, that can be advantageous but it can also be challenging and a little intimidating. If you don't have any experience with this, you may want to get some before the race or wait until another time to run with a pace group. 

Mmmmm. Good points. I guess I thought of them as some brilliant runner that has it all figured out Laughing Maybe I'll talk to them, find out what corral they are in (i'm in 12, DS2 is in 6) and utilize it if it works out but not depend on it for my race day.

Thanks!!!!!!

I've used a pace group on 2 marathons.  They did ask that people sign up for both, but it was not a mandatory thing and I did not sign up either time.  Both times the pacers were really conscience of the pace and had target times written down. The first time I ran I stayed with the group until about mile 19 and then, since I was feeling ok, picked up the pace and finished about 4-5 minutes ahead of the group.  Pacer was cool with people doing that and talked about how to use the group to something like that to get a PR.  THe group itself was nice to run with as it gave you people to chat with over the long miles.   Some of the time it was chattier than others.  I saw the group come in and spoke to some of the runners and they seem to have hit their time on the nose.  Second time, I bailed on the marathon as I was apparently not over the crud I had picked up a few days before and ran a 14 miler, so I can't comment on how the pacer hit or didn't hit the goal time.

The PR pacing is kinda what I was looking for. The group might help push me as well.

Just curious, a 5 minute difference is quite a bit. Was the 2:20 just a ball park? 

It was. My stand alone HM PR is 2:21:XX so that's what I based on. I signed up in April when I was just coming off of O'side. I did my last long run (12.13) in 1:58:08 and my shorter runs have been in the 9min/mile range so I'd like to push for the 2:15. Too much?

Given that information, I would say it's a very realistic goal. 

What am I missing? Was your long run on similar terrain to the race?  You  got aid stations, you got race adrenaline, you got some miles under your belt, and a little tapa'-- cough2:08cough.

goddammitelesa! (add that to the dictionary, please)

Yeah... don't drag me into your mid-life crisis Laughing

Actually I kinda have a pie in the sky, if the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars (I don't really know what that means but I grew up in the 70's so it's in my brain) that I could go under 2:15. I think it's a flatter course than what I usually run and because of the support there is that possibility but I will be happy with the 2:15.

2013-10-04 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by switch All this talk of logging food is making me feel compelled to confess:

I just ate close to 1300 calories at lunch, 470 of which were an ice cream sandwich between two chocolate chip cookies.

Sad part?  I'm still kinda hungry ;P

Swimming make me want to eat my arm.

The food logging and your goal question has kicked my butt over the last few days too. In a good way kinda. It made me weigh myself for the first time in months which in turn made me realise that my clothes are tight because I now weigh the heaviest that I have ever been and have 10kg to lose. This has irritated the shyte out of me for the last couple of days, but today I am feeling ok with it. I have a plan that I feel is doable and I'm ready to go.

I am also glad I am not the only want that is starving after swimming. Do you eat before you go? I don't normally but your post made me remember that as a kid my coach used to tell us to have a slice of bread butter and honey or jam before training.
2013-10-04 8:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Originally posted by melbo55
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55 I am getting very pumped for my race.  Masters has me in a good swimming place mentally, and I biked to Gretna then rode the GTN
course Sunday (read:hilly similar to Half Full race course) which has me in a good mental biking place and I’m OK with the run, too.  The weather has me excited (hey, it won't be 40 degrees and raining) and getting to have other friends around racing and spectating is getting me amped up, too.  My crazy friend Mo has a possibly partially torn ligament in her shoulder (not labral tear as they first thought) and is determined to race.  Personally I really don’t see the sense in risking further damage and pain, but whatever, it’s her arm! 

I'm happy that you're so excited for this race, but what exactly is a half full?

Half Full is the name of the race - Rev3 Half Full.  Rev3 donates their people, equipment and services (totally free) to help put on the race to raise money for Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.  Half Full refers to 'glass half full' or optimism [of beating cancer].  The 70 miles of the half distance race, also taking place the same day/time, represents the 70,000 young adults diagnosed with cancer each year.  The race features survivors racing as well as cheering racers on as they start and finish the race.  Very powerful, moving, inspiring race.

I'm racing as part of Team Fight which raises money for the UCF via fundraising and we race with their kits, etc.

That is so great.  The race, the fact you are racing, and that you are so excited to be racing!!

2013-10-04 8:45 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Planned on running after work.  Feeling yuckier as the day went on.  Bit headachy etc.  I have been fighting off this cold all week... I was waiting for a phone call and decided I was going to go out after that.  Then finished the call, re-assessed, and decided that I would be smarter to take the day off today and get a good nights rest.  Have a great weekend all!

2013-10-04 8:52 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by bcraht Planned on running after work.  Feeling yuckier as the day went on.  Bit headachy etc.  I have been fighting off this cold all week... I was waiting for a phone call and decided I was going to go out after that.  Then finished the call, re-assessed, and decided that I would be smarter to take the day off today and get a good nights rest.  Have a great weekend all!

Get some rest and feel better!

2013-10-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

DP

Edited by rrrunner 2013-10-04 9:17 PM
2013-10-04 8:57 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

What am I missing? Was your long run on similar terrain to the race?  You  got aid stations, you got race adrenaline, you got some miles under your belt, and a little tapa'-- cough2:08cough.

I was thinking the same thing!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-10-04 8:59 PM
2013-10-05 7:22 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I had a FB request from Yanti this morning.  She can't access BT .  Here it is:

Hi St Jude! Can't get into BT or email right now, can you post for me in the Manatees GO RACING MANATEES ... Spanks you 

2013-10-05 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4723700

User image

Melon Presser
Wow, 1st ever BT post from a phone! Cookie?

This thread is by far biggest BT thread ever, woohoo

Sitting in Bali airport - missed flight to Perth yesterday and today it's on severely restricted schedule (mostly closed) due to half the world's leaders being in town, waiting to hear if my flight got canceled.

However, the can-can dancers are a nice touch. Security is super high and yet the dancers, and I'm flying out (I hope) of a 'terminal' made from plywood and cardboard.

I love Indonesia!

2013-10-05 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4723700

User image

Melon Presser

Sitting in Bali airport - missed flight to Perth yesterday and today it's on severely restricted schedule (mostly closed) due to half the world's leaders being in town, waiting to hear if my flight got canceled.

However, the can-can dancers are a nice touch. Security is super high and yet the dancers, and I'm flying out (I hope) of a 'terminal' made from plywood and cardboard.

I love Indonesia!
2013-10-05 8:29 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by TriAya

I love Indonesia!
Hopefully you get here eventually.
2013-10-05 9:04 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by TriAya

I love Indonesia!

I would say first and second - but who's counting

so how does one miss a flight? Hope you get out of the airport soon! HEH

2013-10-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by switch All this talk of logging food is making me feel compelled to confess:

I just ate close to 1300 calories at lunch, 470 of which were an ice cream sandwich between two chocolate chip cookies.

The food logging and your goal question has kicked my butt over the last few days too. In a good way kinda. It made me weigh myself for the first time in months which in turn made me realise that my clothes are tight because I now weigh the heaviest that I have ever been and have 10kg to lose. This has irritated the shyte out of me for the last couple of days, but today I am feeling ok with it. I have a plan that I feel is doable and I'm ready to go. I am also glad I am not the only want that is starving after swimming. Do you eat before you go? I don't normally but your post made me remember that as a kid my coach used to tell us to have a slice of bread butter and honey or jam before training.

I'm glad that you're in a good place and have a plan regarding weight loss.  It really seems like there are a number of us who are looking to drop a bit.  I wonder if there is some sort of way we can help each other with that?

The swimming hunger is intense.  Running doesn't make me hungry in the same way, and I'm sure I burn more when I run (for equal time spent).  I usually do try to eat something before, but I may try a little bit more.  I'm actually seriously considering taking a thermos of chicken soup or warm broth of sorts because I get so damn cold.  Anyone ever done that?

Right now I can't really run the way I'd like to, and so I need to be more careful with food than I am when I can really run.  One of the reasons I like training is because it lets me eat, but if I want to get serious about getting faster, I'm gonna need to dial that in a bit.

Salty's thread about race weight in the TT forum has made me think about this more lately.  I usually do ok during the day, but I can get in trouble at night, especially if I've also had a couple of beers.  My resolve tends to fade quite dramatically:) I have been considering giving myself some sort of hard limit, like not eating after 8. 

2013-10-05 9:16 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm kind of in the same boat as Ben. I want to get faster.  I went out on a limb in COJ a few weeks ago and laid out some pretty specific goals, but in thinking about goal setting more, I'm not sure that's how I should be framing things in my mind.  What I said it COJ is that I would like to qualify for Worlds in both the Oly and 70.3 distances (I have specific goal times for these in my head, though others have cautioned me against this.  I can't help it.) and qualify for Boston. 

Any one of those things would be a significant "reach" for me, but all three would be a coup. I am turning 40 next year, mid life crisis, party of one...

In thinking about these goals more, I am thinking I should reframe them a bit, as I could have good tri races for me, but still not qualify, depending on who shows up.  It would be silly to be bent out of shape about that.  So, I'm going to try to get faster, and hopefully that will result in me placing well in my races--aging up won't hurt either;)

To do this I need to do a few things:

• Be consistent in all three sports.
  • Be very careful about doing non SBR things that build lean body mass.
  • Be careful with my diet and see where my body weight gravitates while properly fueling for training but not over indulging.  I "think" I would be faster if I could lose 10lbs, but I have never been that light in my adult life and I don't know if that's realistic.  I probably need to do better meal and snack planning to support this goal.
  • I need to be better about my sleep.  I need to make this a priority for recovery, sickness prevention, and stress reduction.
  • I need to remember to have a purpose for each training session.  Salty, this was such a gift you gave me.  Thank you. xo.
  • Try to do these things while minimizing the impact on my family.

Something I meant to ask earlier since you seem to really be into various "World's" events, are you looking at things outside of those two? There is Nats for Long Course (70.3, really) which then goes ITU Worlds Long Course, not to be confused with WTC's World Championship. Plus others like a few duathlon distances. Sprint, Standard, Long. Long seems a bit odd as it's often similar to an oly here (10k/40k/5k), but World's is like 10k/150k/30k.

I don't really know much about anything--I'm now officially starting my second year of training. Lol.Seriously, the amount I don't know and don't understand is a little daunting.

I don't know what the appeal of "Worlds" events are--I think it's really just the idea of working towards a time and then doing well enough in a race to qualify for the next thing.  That's the competitive dork in me--I'll be happy if I get a good time, but there's something about making "the cut" which is a huge carrot in the thick of a race.

I just heard about Nats for Long Course, but ITU long course? Is that a draft legal format?  In which case, I would be out, as the idea of riding that way is terrifying.  I think my bike (a Shiv) doesn't meet ITU standards either.  OK, both of these things I kinda feel like I'm pulling out of my azz, so I could be way wrong on both counts.

I've never done a DU, but I should probably try one sometime, as swimming is definitely my weakest link.  the "long" Worlds DU sounds tough--10k/150k/30k.  I'm probably a couple of years of base away from trying anything like that.  Are you considering it?  How do you pick your races, Ben?

The Worlds things that are in places like France?? I'm not sure I could ever get ready to ride like that while living in Iowa :)

Almost none of the ITU stuff for amateurs is draft legal, including Worlds from placing at Nationals. None of the long course for anyone is draft legal (pros included). I kind of float back and forth on Worlds stuff. It sounds interesting to see and say I went, but I really haven't enjoyed the events I've done when it was more for prestige type things. Anything beyond the course itself being rather interesting and it tends to become a mess. I'd been keeping an eye on LC Nats as it's at Rev3 SC this year (next weekend) and that course sounds fun, but it's moving next year to Grand Rapids, MI. Some early reports have the course as rather boring, so not as appealing even though the travel wouldn't be much for me. Maybe like Nats sprint next year as it's very close for me and it'd be more for the social aspect of seeing others there. I don't know if I'll have any qualifying races for the Oly yet. If I had the resources, I think some of the European things would be more likely as well. It'd be more than just a race going there, so I'd get that adventure in somehow or other.

There are also things like Aquathon (swim/run) and Aquabike (swim/bike), but I can't see the second one being as appealing to you. Wink I'll be thinking awhile this time about what I want to do for next year and going forward. Running isn't really appealing right now and it hasn't been for some time. Probably just maintenance for awhile and see where it goes. I still want to like it, but really haven't when I get to it. Past duathlons were a lot of fun. Sure you'll love them.

What would be the issue with training in Iowa? It's as if I'd be just fine in Illinois? Tongue out

OK, if they're not draft-legal, they're on the table :)

You're into "interesting" and "fun" courses--those are euphamisms for hardasfuck.  I'm not there yet:)  Though,  I will admit that I am fascinated by the Savageman, St. George, Norseman and Tahoe threads.  Those are really cool carrots too, and I can see being attracted to those once I become a stronger athlete.

Yes, Iowa, Illinois, same same.  How do we train for riding in France when we live in flatsville? 

You're not into running?  Huh?  You're such a good runner!

Anything with "aqua" in it is completely off the table for me.  I'm absolutely blown away by how much swimming fitness I've lost since last spring.  I'm almost grateful for this achilles thing, as I'm now realizing I couldn't afford to put off the swimming focus anymore.  It's go time:)

2013-10-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by switch What am I missing? Was your long run on similar terrain to the race?  You  got aid stations, you got race adrenaline, you got some miles under your belt, and a little tapa'-- cough2:08cough.

I was thinking the same thing!!

I think this is quite possibly an interesting window into everyone's various competitiveness and goal setting.  It could also be a window into my delirium.  If I had a long run like TJ in that time, I would be shooting for something like 2:05. Maybe I wouldn't hit it, but I think **sometimes** there's something to be said for super optimism, as long as you don't blow up along the way :)

I often don't hit my goals; did I mention that?

There is a really great business writer, Jim Collins, who talks about BHAGs (Big, Hairy Audacious Goals).  (His book, "Good to Great" is worth the read for those in business).  Anyway, I'm a fan of the BHAG.  The key is to not beat yourself up if you don't hit, but, yeah, "reach for the stars" (<---just for you Salty).

2013-10-05 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Switch - That is the method that TW uses, no food after 8:00. The other thing she does is that her biggest meal of the day is lunch. Dinner ends up being real light for her. And group riding will take you out of your comfort level and improve your bike fitness and your bike handling. I'm just sayin'.

Stacey - I am right there with you. I have a plan, and a couple months from now it will all be good! Work on it, think on it, keep after it, and there is nothing that can stop us! BTW, I love the new avi!

TJ - I usually use a 3 number goal system for races. A mid goal, a stretch goal, and a number that I want to hit if all goes to crap. I usually hit my mid goal #.  I think that your goal can be multiple levels, based on what the course and the day have for you. So, I have a 3 tiered idea of what your race be, and it includes a BIG PR for you. No pressure, but after looking through your logs and such, you have a race in you that will make you smile. A BIG smile.

Yanti - As always, your travels never cease to amaze. Take care of yourself and keep on smiling!

Mel - You are going to have a blast!!!!

Erin - I hope you are coming back to the land of the living and have left sickville behind.

Ann-Marie - I hope your time on the Gulf Coast was enjoyable. Back to reality for you.

2013-10-05 9:31 AM

User image

Seattle
I didn't answer the way I did because of how competitive I am. Notice the question she asked and notice my answer. She didn't ask me to predict her time. Like I said, I would have plenty of questions if she was asking that. Giving her an arbitrary time like 2:08 ( I say arbitrary because we don't know much about that training run you are basing her time on) perhaps if we knew more that 2:08 would be too conservative, or maybe not. That's where I'm coming from.
2013-10-05 9:36 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed I didn't answer the way I did because of how competitive I am. Notice the question she asked and notice my answer. She didn't ask me to predict her time. Like I said, I would have plenty of questions if she was asking that. Giving her an arbitrary time like 2:08 ( I say arbitrary because we don't know much about that training run you are basing her time on) perhaps if we knew more that 2:08 would be too conservative, or maybe not. That's where I'm coming from.

You mean you just answer the question she asked?

Who the hell does that?

My BHAG post was just explaining my crazy :)

2013-10-05 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed I didn't answer the way I did because of how competitive I am. Notice the question she asked and notice my answer. She didn't ask me to predict her time. Like I said, I would have plenty of questions if she was asking that. Giving her an arbitrary time like 2:08 ( I say arbitrary because we don't know much about that training run you are basing her time on) perhaps if we knew more that 2:08 would be too conservative, or maybe not. That's where I'm coming from.

Who the hell does that?

My BHAG post was just explaining my crazy

You don't need to explain, we get it.

2013-10-05 10:23 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by cdban66

Who the hell does that?

My BHAG post was just explaining my crazy

You don't need to explain, we get it.

and we like it, cause we all have a little bit of some sort of crazy - that's why we are Manatees
2013-10-05 10:48 AM

Master
Northern IL

OK, if they're not draft-legal, they're on the table

You're into "interesting" and "fun" courses--those are euphamisms for hardasfuck.  I'm not there yet  Though,  I will admit that I am fascinated by the Savageman, St. George, Norseman and Tahoe threads.  Those are really cool carrots too, and I can see being attracted to those once I become a stronger athlete.

Yes, Iowa, Illinois, same same.  How do we train for riding in France when we live in flatsville? 

You're not into running?  Huh?  You're such a good runner!

Anything with "aqua" in it is completely off the table for me.  I'm absolutely blown away by how much swimming fitness I've lost since last spring.  I'm almost grateful for this achilles thing, as I'm now realizing I couldn't afford to put off the swimming focus anymore.  It's go time

Well, it doesn't *have* to be completely epic. The ones I've listed are just more sure of having something about them. The Rev3 Anderson course sounds rather entertaining after following some of the ST threads on it recently. Nothing big on it, but lots of things to keep you engaged. Kind of disappointing that the LC Nats seems to move each year instead of every 2. Something fast & flat still might draw my attention every now and then, but I tend to go for the additional challenge much more often.

The running issue is something fairly new. I don't quite know why, but something about it has changed for me this year. I'd thought about going stronger in duathlon before for some of the events (Powerman is another to look at), but this year the appeal of it has gone down. Sitting here now I'd still like to do some of those events, but thinking about the training for them, or when actually going for a run has been kind of meh. So hoping that backing down on running for awhile (instead of continuing to force it) will help. Give a little break from it and then hoping it seems fresh again.

You're someone who might really pick up the other two well with the way you've described how you want to run, wanting to push so often. Especially with the bike as it's not as foreign as swimming can be. Those two can (and should) be pushed more often than running. Quite a bit more often. So as you learn more about training, you can take that aggressiveness and really go after it.

Edited by brigby1 2013-10-05 10:48 AM
2013-10-05 2:45 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by StaceyK

The food logging and your goal question has kicked my butt over the last few days too. In a good way kinda. It made me weigh myself for the first time in months which in turn made me realise that my clothes are tight because I now weigh the heaviest that I have ever been and have 10kg to lose. This has irritated the shyte out of me for the last couple of days, but today I am feeling ok with it. I have a plan that I feel is doable and I'm ready to go. I am also glad I am not the only want that is starving after swimming. Do you eat before you go? I don't normally but your post made me remember that as a kid my coach used to tell us to have a slice of bread butter and honey or jam before training.

I'm glad that you're in a good place and have a plan regarding weight loss.  It really seems like there are a number of us who are looking to drop a bit.  I wonder if there is some sort of way we can help each other with that?

The swimming hunger is intense.  Running doesn't make me hungry in the same way, and I'm sure I burn more when I run (for equal time spent).  I usually do try to eat something before, but I may try a little bit more.  I'm actually seriously considering taking a thermos of chicken soup or warm broth of sorts because I get so damn cold.  Anyone ever done that?

Right now I can't really run the way I'd like to, and so I need to be more careful with food than I am when I can really run.  One of the reasons I like training is because it lets me eat, but if I want to get serious about getting faster, I'm gonna need to dial that in a bit.

Salty's thread about race weight in the TT forum has made me think about this more lately.  I usually do ok during the day, but I can get in trouble at night, especially if I've also had a couple of beers.  My resolve tends to fade quite dramatically I have been considering giving myself some sort of hard limit, like not eating after 8. 

Please be extremely cautious with the racing weight thing. It's extremely easy to get caught up in it and then doing more harm than good. There are plenty of other things you can do to get better that will make a bigger difference with less risk. But if you get a chance, do read racing weight.
2013-10-05 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Woo! I hit 500 miles running (for 2013) today!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440