BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-26 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3467675

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
kkcbelle - 2011-04-26 6:40 PM

Got a flyer in the mail for MUD by Infinit... anyone sampled it at any race? Of course anything that says mud and includes the words coffee and caffeine in the description gets my attention!! And they bill it as a perfect pre- or post-race/workout beverage.  I'm curious. However, I don't like my coffee sweet (unless it's coffee ice cream, yum!), so maybe this would be a bust. It's a bit too pricey for me to try it. Maybe I'll see it at a race sometime.

Nutritional stats:

Supplement Facts: when mixed with 8 oz of fat free or skim milk
Servings Per Container 22
Serving Size: 1 Scoops (33 g)
Calories: 210
Total Fat: 1g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Sodium: 125 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 32 g
Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 21 g
Protein: 19 g
Whey Protein Isolate, Maltodextrine, Glucose,
Sucrose, Flaxseed, Coffee, Natural Chocolate.

X2

I got the same e-mail with a special offer and it intrigued me also.  Anybody have any info????  This would be right up my alley.  Coffee and Protein ....  Yummy!  

Except some of these exotic proteins don't sit well with my sensitive belly!!  Laughing

Edited by badgerintx 2011-04-26 8:18 PM

2011-04-26 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Sacramento, CA

Suzy asked about a strength training workout I posted in my log..."The Impossible Pushup"

So...thought I would share with the group if anyone is interested.... (the weights listed are for my ability...others may need more or less)  If the pushups are too easy then you need to be lifting more weight, shoot for near 7-12 per round. 20 - 30 FROM pushups overall is the average).  

Here is a description...The "Impossible Push up" workout is strength training for the arms and chest. Round one... 20 reps of dumbell bench press with 25 lbs dumbells in each arm, 20 reps of standing strict press (this is where you press the dumbells up overhead without using any momentum or help from legs - all shoulders) with 20 lbs dumbells in each arm, 20 elevated bench dip (feet up on a bench) and then finish with as many full range of motion pushups as you can do without stopping to rest.(FROM = on ones toes and chest must touch the a rolled up towel on ground). Do this whole cycle 3 times and you get the impossible pushup work. My first round I was able to do 10 FROM pushups, 2nd round 8 plus some more pushups on an elevated bar in the rack, final round 2 pushups + some more elevated push ups in the rack!

It is a beautiful workout for arms...I will swim strong tomorrow. Today, it was hard to hold onto my bike. LOL!

2011-04-26 11:54 PM
in reply to: #3467256

User image

Expert
Noosa
kt65 - 2011-04-27 6:02 AM

fowlmood - 2011-04-26 12:34 PM How cold is to cold for open water swim?

with or without wetsuit?

I honestly cannot swim in less than 74F without a wetsuit.  I have tried and my whole body starts to shiver underwater.  I know, what a wuss!!!

With a wetsuit, the coldest I have been able to swim is 55F, and I wasn't able to think straight after 45 minutes in the bay.  Scary to want to say something and have it come out like another language that sounded more like animal than human!

Happy Birthday Suzy and Kim!!

I've got my Oly this weekend and normally the water temps in Queensland mean it's a no wetsuit swim, however we've had a cold snap and now it's looking like it will be a wetsuit swim - my only problem is I don't have a wetsuit and it's too late to train in one now anyway. Do you think it really will make much difference? After all I'm not going to win anything...

2011-04-27 5:40 AM
in reply to: #3468157

User image

Veteran
copa2251 - 2011-04-27 12:54 AM

with or without wetsuit?

I honestly cannot swim in less than 74F without a wetsuit.  I have tried and my whole body starts to shiver underwater.  I know, what a wuss!!!

With a wetsuit, the coldest I have been able to swim is 55F, and I wasn't able to think straight after 45 minutes in the bay.  Scary to want to say something and have it come out like another language that sounded more like animal than human!

I've got my Oly this weekend and normally the water temps in Queensland mean it's a no wetsuit swim, however we've had a cold snap and now it's looking like it will be a wetsuit swim - my only problem is I don't have a wetsuit and it's too late to train in one now anyway. Do you think it really will make much difference? After all I'm not going to win anything...

Just catching up once again to this crazy hyper group......happy belated b-day to Suzy and Kim hope you both enjoyed.

I am a wuss when it comes to cold water as well, my feet are really sensitive and they are in pain when the water is less the 60, takes a long time to warm them up. I have a sleeveless wetsuit which I love the freedom of my arms but it can also be cold. If it were my choice I would go with a wetsuit for both the warmth and buoyancy, but if you have not trained in one at all it may not be a good idea on race day.

I was in the pool (early morning) yesterday and one half of the pool was cold and the other half warm, as cold as the one half was i liked it better then the warm water which made me feel like I was being broiled for dinner (ok it was not that hot) but it was uncomfortable. So my choice between warm and cold water....I guess I will take the cold.....hmmmm what is the perfect temp?

I am going to throw this out to the group. My right arm goes numb both on the bike and swimming after 30 mins or so. It is not terrible but enough to be annoying. I can shake it off on the bike but it is hard to stretch it while swimming. I think it is from an old hockey injury. Any suggestions on how to stretch it out both on/off bike/swim.I do breath bi-laterally so I am an equal opportunity swimmer for both arms.

On a positive note I did my longest swim ever yesterday...not the fastest but I am happy with the effort. While swimming I was thinking about my upcoming Oly in July and getting anxiety about the swim. Need to make a mental note... do not think about future race swim....as I am typing this that fear is coming up, need to change the tape in my head.....I will be ready....I will be ready.....I will be ready.....

Hope everyone is having a great week......

Edited by bfwhitt 2011-04-27 5:42 AM
2011-04-27 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3468157

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
copa2251 - 2011-04-26 11:54 PM

with or without wetsuit?

Coldest I have ever experienced is 58F.  It was a 1000m lake swim and my face and feet were completely numb afterwards.  Made running the 5k very weird.  I knew my feet were moving, but couldn't feel a thing.  I wore a wetsuit, but no booties or insulated cap.  I don't think it was dangerous, but it definitely takes some getting used to.  If you 're in water this cold, my suggestion is to dunk a few times and swim a few strokes to get rid of the "lung panic" that always happens when water is that chilly.

I do know that people got hypothermia during a Lake Michigan triathlon when the water was 50F. 

Be careful.

2011-04-27 6:07 AM

User image

Champion

It's drawing near!!  No, not the ROYAL WEDDING Tongue out.....but another weekend of racing!  I know of at least one gent in this group doing a killer half, but what about the rest of you?

If you're not racing, let's talk about OWS....what do you do to prepare yourself for the plunge? rituals each time that help you keep calm? or swim like the devil (e.g.our 1 hr IM swimmers--Linda/Kyla!)

2011-04-27 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3467839

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2011-04-26 8:18 PM

Got a flyer in the mail for MUD by Infinit... anyone sampled it at any race? Of course anything that says mud and includes the words coffee and caffeine in the description gets my attention!! And they bill it as a perfect pre- or post-race/workout beverage.  I'm curious. However, I don't like my coffee sweet (unless it's coffee ice cream, yum!), so maybe this would be a bust. It's a bit too pricey for me to try it. Maybe I'll see it at a race sometime.

Nutritional stats:

X2

I got the same e-mail with a special offer and it intrigued me also.  Anybody have any info????  This would be right up my alley.  Coffee and Protein ....  Yummy!  

Except some of these exotic proteins don't sit well with my sensitive belly!!  Laughing

I'm always looking for something new to try, especially if it involves CHOCOLATE.  This seems like a really high protein to carb ratio.  I would worry that it would give me stomach issues just like Dineen.  Also lots and lots of SUGAR!

2011-04-27 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3468250

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 7:07 AM

It's drawing near!!  No, not the ROYAL WEDDING Tongue out.....but another weekend of racing!  I know of at least one gent in this group doing a killer half, but what about the rest of you?

If you're not racing, let's talk about OWS....what do you do to prepare yourself for the plunge? rituals each time that help you keep calm? or swim like the devil (e.g.our 1 hr IM swimmers--Linda/Kyla!)

I am doing the "Bunny Hop" crit on Sunday, 30 minute race, pretty flat and rounded corners, should be fast.

As for OWS and preparing, I like to get in the water a bit early, let the water in my suit, especially if it's cold so I have time to acclimate.  I also slighly hyperventilate when I get in the water for some reason, so I sit there and let that pass, then head to the front to go.

2011-04-27 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 6:07 AM

I am doing my 1st race on Sunday!!! The Bassman Sprint in NJ near Atlantic City. Going down the night before so I can relax and have a good sleep. This will be my 1st wetsuit and OWS

Right now I am just trying to get in a few more rides on my bike outside(yesterday was the 1st time out), and watch alot of youtube videos on transition set up and tips

Edited by GrapeJuice 2011-04-27 6:21 AM
2011-04-27 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3468264

User image

Champion
GrapeJuice - 2011-04-27 7:17 AM

I am doing my 1st race on Sunday!!! The Bassman Sprint in NJ near Atlantic City. Going down the night before so I can relax and have a good sleep. This will be my 1st wetsuit and OWS

Right now I am just trying to get in a few more rides on my bike outside(yesterday was the 1st time out), and watch alot of youtube videos on transition set up and tips

Good luck!  Remember to have fun.

Have you practiced transitions?  It was helpful for me to set stuff up in my front yard and practice that way a few times.

2011-04-27 7:19 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Thinking heavily about racing a local 5K run with my friend Stef. She took first 2 weekends ago and is travelling back the 1 hour to race her second 5k in this series. Me I would be going for the T-shirt, my knee can't handle attempting a PR for a 5K but it would be a good way to get out and get 5K in this week. I did run 3 times last week. Not 100% pain free, no shooting pain and no pain in the Patella where my issues have been. Just a general tightness in the rest of the knee. Likely do to not running for 3 months.

So I will go to the race run 5K easy.. And support my friend and watch her kick some BUM...

2011-04-27 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3468264

User image

Veteran
GrapeJuice - 2011-04-27 7:17 AM

Andre - Good luck, is this an ocean swim? What is the water temp? you wearing a wetsuit? Enjoy

Suzy just reminded me of a local 5k and 10k, I think I might shoot for the 5k and see if I can hit a new PR with a sub 8 min pace. Have been pushing to do this since last year and think maybe now is the time!!

As far as OWS, I have not done enough to have any type of ritual (except pray....a lot). I think I need to warm up more then I have in the past. I always go to the outside of the pack when starting, don't want to get caught in the mayhem. Would rather be comfortable for now then panic in the flailing arms and legs.

2011-04-27 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3468370

User image

Champion

Oh, and another OWS tip, seems obvious but helped me last year.

Get in OWS every chance you get.  If you can find a local lake and a partner to swim with go for it.  I think at one point last year I had 3 races in a row (every other weekend) and was doing some OWS's with an instructor and it got me over pretty much any issue I had in open water.  Now other than my brief heart elevation rise when I first get in, it's just like swimming in the pool, actually better, no black line on the bottom to stare at.

2011-04-27 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3468252

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 5:09 AM
badgerintx - 2011-04-26 8:18 PM

Nutritional stats:

X2

I'm always looking for something new to try, especially if it involves CHOCOLATE.  This seems like a really high protein to carb ratio.  I would worry that it would give me stomach issues just like Dineen.  Also lots and lots of SUGAR!

Interesting - He gives me stomach issues as well!!!

Would love to try the MUD though too.

2011-04-27 8:04 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 5:07 AM

No racing here. As for rituals ---Where is TRACY???

slowly get in, splash my face , toss some water in the wetsuit, and then plop down and get used to the cold.

2011-04-27 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3468448

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2011-04-27 9:04 AM

slowly get in, splash my face , toss some water in the wetsuit, and then plop down and get used to the cold.

Do you do that where everyone is standing around?  You know what's in that water right? : )

2011-04-27 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3468240

User image

Elite
Raleigh
bfwhitt - 2011-04-27 6:40 AM
copa2251 - 2011-04-27 12:54 AM

with or without wetsuit?

Just catching up once again to this crazy hyper group......happy belated b-day to Suzy and Kim hope you both enjoyed.

I am a wuss when it comes to cold water as well, my feet are really sensitive and they are in pain when the water is less the 60, takes a long time to warm them up. I have a sleeveless wetsuit which I love the freedom of my arms but it can also be cold. If it were my choice I would go with a wetsuit for both the warmth and buoyancy, but if you have not trained in one at all it may not be a good idea on race day.

I was in the pool (early morning) yesterday and one half of the pool was cold and the other half warm, as cold as the one half was i liked it better then the warm water which made me feel like I was being broiled for dinner (ok it was not that hot) but it was uncomfortable. So my choice between warm and cold water....I guess I will take the cold.....hmmmm what is the perfect temp?

I am going to throw this out to the group. My right arm goes numb both on the bike and swimming after 30 mins or so. It is not terrible but enough to be annoying. I can shake it off on the bike but it is hard to stretch it while swimming. I think it is from an old hockey injury. Any suggestions on how to stretch it out both on/off bike/swim. I do breath bi-laterally so I am an equal opportunity swimmer for both arms.

On a positive note I did my longest swim ever yesterday...not the fastest but I am happy with the effort. While swimming I was thinking about my upcoming Oly in July and getting anxiety about the swim. Need to make a mental note... do not think about future race swim....as I am typing this that fear is coming up, need to change the tape in my head.....I will be ready....I will be ready.....I will be ready.....

Hope everyone is having a great week......

In view of the fact that it occurs while swimming and biking I am inclined to suggest seeing a PT. He/she can help find the cause and then recommend some exercises/stretches to work it out. There may be be some biomechanical issue that is affecting the nerves in your arm or shoulder.

2011-04-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3468451

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2011-04-27 7:05 AM

Do you do that where everyone is standing around?  You know what's in that water right? : )

Allow me to rephrase - slowly get in, splash my face(with my mouth closed)

Edited by TrevorC 2011-04-27 8:13 AM
2011-04-27 8:26 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 4:07 AM

I need to do more OWS practice so I can have rituals.  Seriously wish I lived somewhere closer to water that is NOT 55F through June.  Or buck up and jump in the car and drive for warmer OWS practice. 

But for racing, I also like to get in and let water into the wetsuit, then adjust the suit a bit, dunk my head in to acclimate a bit. 

2011-04-27 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-04-27 7:07 AM

I am racing a half marathon on Sunday!  St. Luke's HM in Allentown, PA.  Would like to go at a sub 8:00 pace but not sure I am ready for that (bad attitude, I know!).  Need to make sure I don't go out too fast and save some in the tank for the end.  Supposed to be a pretty fast course so I will try and use that to my advantage.   Also a completely closed course which will be a first for me.  Stadium finish with a half lap on the track and from what I heard a big screaming crowd so that will be fun!

Getting on a plane for China on Monday so I hope I am not too sore!!

Edited by gdale 2011-04-27 8:30 AM
2011-04-27 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Big Sur Marathon in 4 days....and 12 minutes, but who's counting?!?

Enjoying the taper, for the most part, and getting to lots of little chores I've been avoiding by training!  We're heading up to Big Sur on Friday, without the kids, so I'm really looking forward to the mini-vacation part of it all, too.

Weather looks to be PERFECT.  High of 62, low of 51, Sunny, winds of only 8mph.   Really hoping weather.com has it right this time!!!

2011-04-27 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

No racing for me.  Good luck to all our Racers.  REPRESENT!!!

Off to D.C. Friday afternoon for a couple of days.  It is really messing up the Bike workout schedule for the weekend, but I am looking forward to the trip.  Maybe I'll get some time to see Tony & Sam?

And I call BS on all these OWS rituals.  Not one person has admitted that part of the ritual is the "warming of the wetsuit?"  Liars!

P.S. Trevor, your Calgary Flames give me stomach issues also!  Oh, thats right, they already traded in their hockey sticks for golf clubs!  Foot in mouth  

2011-04-27 8:43 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Wow, lots of racers!

Good luck to Linda, George, Andre, David and Tony!

Linda!!!!!  Enjoy that beautiful course! 

George-try to walk around a lot after the race...maybe even spin a bit on your bike on the trainer...it can really help move some of that lactic acid out...sounds crazy, but if you have to fly 17 hours the day after...yikes!  I wore my compression socks on the plane and it seemed to help somewhat...but my quads were toast.  I really appreciated those grab bars in public restrooms.

2011-04-27 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar

No racing, but do have a century ride this will the 1st in our town so I especially wanted to support it.

2011-04-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3468448

User image

Not racing here...and not sure I'll be up for the wedding - although I was in London and camped out for the wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson.  Fun times!

Swimming - Most folks like to ride/run the course before a race.  Swimming should be no different - except the swim course can change significantly from one day to the next...temp, current, waves.  I am a huge believer in getting in the water before the race and swimming some, especially in early season/late season (cold water).  Get in, swim a little, and get use to the temp/setting...also get your stroke rythym.  If the water is really cold you want to get use to it before your race (hyperventilate, freak out, swear, whatever, before the race)...just standing there looking at the water isn't going to make it any warmer and honestly you are going to get in sooner or later if you do the race.   If you are wearing a wetsuit get in and make sure it "feels" good, that it isn't restricting you.  If it's really cold outside then time your warm-up so that you are in and out right before the start...you don't want to get out and stand around too long and freeze   If your wave goes off later bring a towel or something and stay warm until it is your time to shine.  At IMFL I wore a pair of old socks while waiting to start...that sand was cold. 

BTW - may sound gross, but I "usually" get a little water in my mouth, swish it around, & spit it out before the race.  Even if the water is gross/salty you are going to get some in your mouth during the race...why not get the inevitable out of the way. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298