BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
I rode and ran with friends yesterday and today with mixed results. Both were supposed to be Z2, but the ride was an easy Z1 and my run today was high Z3 moving into Z4 during the thunder and pouring rain portion. The good news is that my achilles seems to be responding well. It's still a bit tender, but feeling much better. Tomorrow I have a bike ride and 18 holes for charity. Hope the rain holds off.

2013-06-02 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
I need race updates!!!!!
2013-06-02 4:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
That is one very difficult course! My swim was 34, the bike: 2:48, the run 1:41, with T1 and T2, my total was 5:10:37. 8 minutes faster than the coach estimated, but my body really feels the abuse and heat . I hurt.

Edited by cobratodd 2013-06-02 4:42 PM
2013-06-02 4:43 PM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Don't try to post right after an event using a smart phone 99% of the words end up wrong!!!
2013-06-02 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by cobratodd

That is one very difficult course! My swim was 34, the bike: 2:48, the run 1:41, with T1 and T2, my total was 5:10:37. 8 minutes faster than the coach estimated, but my body really feels the abuse and heat . I hurt.

That is an insanely good time for that course. You should be ecstatic.
2013-06-02 6:52 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Veteran
Awesome job Todd.

2013-06-02 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations Todd!!!! That is an awesome time!!
2013-06-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4723981

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Thanks all, time to recover.
2013-06-02 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Congrats, Todd! Now take some time to relax. You earned it.
2013-06-03 6:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My last week before my race. I have a couple silly questions. For a HIM do you put your bike gloves on? I haven't for my oly or sprint distances. Also, is there a station mid way on the bike to exchange water bottles? If so, do I use old water bottles that I don't care about and don't want back? Also, I have a bottle between my aero bars but I am not coordinated enough to fill it while riding - is it ok to stop and fill it up mid bike?

Any other words of advice anyone can offer?
2013-06-03 6:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You are so fast!!!! Congratulations on a great race!

2013-06-03 6:49 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
2:46 at my olympic tri yesterday. I had hoped for a faster time, but I'm ok with where I ended up. I am not a rabbit, and I need to be ok with that. My endurance is my strength, so I am going to focus on the fact that I have the ability to chug along all day long (and not the ability to do a 2 hour oly ).

Forecast predicted rain and coldish temps, but it ended up being sunny, windy, and 90 degrees.

Swim in the sleeved wetsuit went well. I was comfortable the entire time. In retrospect I think I could have pushed myself harder, which would have resulted in a faster swim split, but I really wanted to focus on my wetsuit, sighting, and maintaining proper body positioning while sighting. Arms got a little tired in the suit. I probably just need to swim in it more this summer.

Bike was ok. Lots of sharp turns. Really need to get better at those because I slow down a lot there. There was a flat, fast section with sweet tailwind, and it felts so good to fly. Hills at the end of the loop really got me. I need to work on shifting at the right time. The one hill was so steep I had to stand and grind because I didn't have any gears left. Positive was that I did better on the second loop. Smarter decisions were made there.

Run was great. Half of it was through tall grass, and I really suffered there. I honestly just tried to run steadily. 2 girls passed me (no girls passed me on bike), and I had to remind myself to run my own race.

A few silly little lessons I learned the hard way: (1) Sunscreen is important. I ended up with the sunburn from hell yesterday. Still hurts this morning. (2) Body glide around armpit area is important. I've never had to use it in that area before. I have never ever ever had a bad chaffing burn around my armpits like this. Layers of skin were removed. I've never seen anything like it. Sucks. It will never happen again!!!! (3) Take time to put on socks correctly. The reason I wear the socks is so I don't get blisters. I ended up yanking them on after the bike, and part of the sock was twisted around my pinky toe. Ummmm, yeah. My entire toe is a blister. It's HUGE!!!! During IM distance race, these things can't happen.
2013-06-03 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It feels like I've lost all the muscle tone in my legs. They're so much softer than they used to be. I don't know how this can happen when you're as active as I am every day. My diet is very clean. Thoughts?
2013-06-03 7:32 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DDVMM

My last week before my race. I have a couple silly questions. For a HIM do you put your bike gloves on? I haven't for my oly or sprint distances. Also, is there a station mid way on the bike to exchange water bottles? If so, do I use old water bottles that I don't care about and don't want back? Also, I have a bottle between my aero bars but I am not coordinated enough to fill it while riding - is it ok to stop and fill it up mid bike?

I've never worn bike gloves before so can't comment there. How many cages do you have on your bike? For my HIM (road bike), I had 2 bottles in cages on frame - one really big bottle of sports drink and the other with gels diluted in water. I tossed the one bottle and replaced it while moving in my HIM. I'm not coordinated enough to fill an aero bottle while riding either, so I would pull off and refill. You'll lose 30 seconds. No biggie in general scheme of things.

My biggest piece of advice is just to run your own race and not worry about the people around you. When you're done with a leg, move on and focus on the next leg (don't start picking apart what's already done). Make yourself comfortable for each leg while you are in transition. Don't skimp on nutrition. Even if you're feeling gross, try to stick with it. You're going to do well, Michele. I hope you have an amazing, fun day!
2013-06-03 8:07 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by DDVMM My last week before my race. I have a couple silly questions. For a HIM do you put your bike gloves on? I haven't for my oly or sprint distances. Also, is there a station mid way on the bike to exchange water bottles? If so, do I use old water bottles that I don't care about and don't want back? Also, I have a bottle between my aero bars but I am not coordinated enough to fill it while riding - is it ok to stop and fill it up mid bike? Any other words of advice anyone can offer?

I don't wear gloves ever really.  The only people I know that do are people who have torn their hands up crashing.

Looks like there are a minimum of 4 bottle hand ups on the Eagleman course.  If you plan on pitching bottles than either buy a Gatorade with a sports top, dump it and refill with what you want, or put a bottle in that slot that you don't mind pitching.  Pulling over to fill is fine.  Please do it at the end of the aid station out of the way.  I had people just stop right in front of me at IMTX and I had to lock up my wheels.

Like Jen said just race your race.  Go in with a plan and execute it to the best of your ability.  Don't get frazzled if say you come out of the water slower than you thought and try to make up time on the bike.  Just continue to execute.

2013-06-03 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Great job Todd! That is awesome!

2013-06-03 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by jarvy01

2:46 at my olympic tri yesterday. I had hoped for a faster time, but I'm ok with where I ended up. I am not a rabbit, and I need to be ok with that. My endurance is my strength, so I am going to focus on the fact that I have the ability to chug along all day long (and not the ability to do a 2 hour oly ).

Great job Jen! Good to see you pulled a lot of positive out of this one and some lessons learned as well. Especially the sunscreen one
2013-06-03 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by jarvy01

It feels like I've lost all the muscle tone in my legs. They're so much softer than they used to be. I don't know how this can happen when you're as active as I am every day. My diet is very clean. Thoughts?
I am sure T-Scott would be able to explain this better. The wife the other day said that I look 'different' I am not as 'muscular' as I was before. Luckily she added that is wasn't bad...just different haha. I would account this to the leaner muscle I am building and less bulk muscle from the bodybuilding/lifting days for me anyway. It could be similar that you are transitioning to leaner muscle????
2013-06-03 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by DDVMM

Have FUN! Actually I have some similar questions so glad you asked.
2013-06-03 9:01 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Todd, Jen, sounds like y'all both had good races, way to go!.  Mine went pretty well.  

The water temp was high enough it wasn't wetsuit legal.  The swim was a lot more challenging than I expected.  I took y'alls and a few other's advice, when the horn went off I waited a few seconds for the area to clear up a lil before setting off.  As I caught up with some of the swimmers that are just a little slower than me the jostling began.  The visibility was horrible, I couldn't even see my arms/hands in front of me while swimming.  Even with using the snorkel I was constantly pausing to catch my breath, switching to side stroke, or just treading water for a second.  The Sprint swim was parallel to the shore and we had the current with us so that helped, plus the fact that it was 5' of water so if all else failed, just stand up.  The chop was pushing us towards shore, and either I'm a lot stronger of a puller with my left than I know, or I was way overcompensating because I was constantly having to re-correct my direction.  Even with all that I still pulled a 10:22 which is just a little above my 100/m average.

The bike felt really good.  The adjustments the fitter did earlier in the week really opened my body up and I was able to stay on the aero bars for pretty much the whole race.  Putting the water bottle on the aero bars definitely reminded me to drink as well.  My chiropractor mentioned that the knee problem I was experiencing during my last two races probably was as a result of my pedaling style so I focused on that.  Keeping the legs straight, feet flat, and pulling as well as pushing.  A nice smooth circle with my feet parallel to the bike.  

I struggled a bit on the run.  Coming out of transition I took it easy this time.  The past two events I started out at my regular pace and quickly found myself out of breath and needing to walk for a bit to let myself adjust.  This time though there was no need for that.  Eased into my pace, no twinges in my knee as I stepped up the pace a bit, but then side/stomach cramping reared it's ugly head.  As a result the run was a constant mix of run/walk in order to let the cramps subside.  Not sure whether it is my breathing or maybe with the better access to water I drank too much on the bike.  During the first half of the run I had to deal with cramping more, but during the 2nd half it started to clear up.  

Still happy with the result despite the difficulties.  Like Jen, I'm rather sun burned today.  I applied prior to the swim, but opted not to spend time in transition re-applying.  The bike had a decent amount of shade, but the run had none at all.

My next race is a mini sprint this weekend.  Since it's local my wife will actually be able to come out and cheer me on so I'm looking forward to that.

2013-06-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
I know I know, lots of post back to back. I am catching up from the crazy week last weekend and weekend to go with it. It was my last big week before a recovery and taper weeks. Really kicked my butt this last week. On top of having to go to some training for my company it was tough! Thank goodness for recovery weeks! I have never wanted one so bad since I started haha. Finished Saturday with a 3:30 ride and 35 min brick run. I felt good on the run which made me more confident for the HIM. The bike I was just tired of being on it. We had high wind and rain forecast so rode it all on the trainer :/

The rest of Saturday was crazy with Soccer and soccer pictures. My team was dropping like flies in the heat. Then get home and cool off for a just a bit to get my Son out to his pics and game. Found out he got selected for the All-Star squad so we pretty excited about that except that it is Father's Day weekend. The sacrifices we make for our kids

Sunday woke up to a fridge that was getting very warm. Through some troubleshooting the defroster had broke and was unable to keep the coils defrosted. No one carries the part even though it is a common issue with this model and parts store won't be able to mail until Monday so we are living out of our chest freezer and coolers for the fridge side stuff. But hey, I am saving money by donig it myself.

Thanks for letting me vent and get caught up with everyone! Hope everyone else had a blessed weekend!

Oh and and easy 1600 in the pool today with fist drills.

2013-06-03 9:09 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Originally posted by mleech77

Todd, Jen, sounds like y'all both had good races, way to go!.  Mine went pretty well.  

The water temp was high enough it wasn't wetsuit legal.  The swim was a lot more challenging than I expected.  I took y'alls and a few other's advice, when the horn went off I waited a few seconds for the area to clear up a lil before setting off.  As I caught up with some of the swimmers that are just a little slower than me the jostling began.  The visibility was horrible, I couldn't even see my arms/hands in front of me while swimming.  Even with using the snorkel I was constantly pausing to catch my breath, switching to side stroke, or just treading water for a second.  The Sprint swim was parallel to the shore and we had the current with us so that helped, plus the fact that it was 5' of water so if all else failed, just stand up.  The chop was pushing us towards shore, and either I'm a lot stronger of a puller with my left than I know, or I was way overcompensating because I was constantly having to re-correct my direction.  Even with all that I still pulled a 10:22 which is just a little above my 100/m average.

The bike felt really good.  The adjustments the fitter did earlier in the week really opened my body up and I was able to stay on the aero bars for pretty much the whole race.  Putting the water bottle on the aero bars definitely reminded me to drink as well.  My chiropractor mentioned that the knee problem I was experiencing during my last two races probably was as a result of my pedaling style so I focused on that.  Keeping the legs straight, feet flat, and pulling as well as pushing.  A nice smooth circle with my feet parallel to the bike.  

I struggled a bit on the run.  Coming out of transition I took it easy this time.  The past two events I started out at my regular pace and quickly found myself out of breath and needing to walk for a bit to let myself adjust.  This time though there was no need for that.  Eased into my pace, no twinges in my knee as I stepped up the pace a bit, but then side/stomach cramping reared it's ugly head.  As a result the run was a constant mix of run/walk in order to let the cramps subside.  Not sure whether it is my breathing or maybe with the better access to water I drank too much on the bike.  During the first half of the run I had to deal with cramping more, but during the 2nd half it started to clear up.  

Still happy with the result despite the difficulties.  Like Jen, I'm rather sun burned today.  I applied prior to the swim, but opted not to spend time in transition re-applying.  The bike had a decent amount of shade, but the run had none at all.

My next race is a mini sprint this weekend.  Since it's local my wife will actually be able to come out and cheer me on so I'm looking forward to that.

Good to hear you are working out the kinks. Especially with the knee.
2013-06-03 10:34 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Expert
Well done to all of our racers. Heal up those legs and skin.
2013-06-03 11:20 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Veteran
Why Body Glide under the armpits? Did you get chafing from the wetsuit...on the bike or run?

Nice job Matt. Breathing and comfort will get there with practice in the water.

Question: I bought and aero helmet a while back and wear my sunglasses with it. I find though that with the helmet, I often look over the bridge of the glasses when I am in aero position...so in reality the glasses are more of a hassle. I have been looking but can't seem to find a visor that I could attach to the helmet. It is a Giro Air Advantage 2. Anyone know of any DIY visor ideas?
2013-06-03 11:46 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Wow, nice job to the racers. There's some speedsters in this group!

I actually do wear gloves. If I don't I will have a numb/ tingling thumb and pinky finger for a few days after a ride. I'm guessing that isn't healthy, hence gloves.

This Saturday I rode from Plattsburgh - Lake Placid for a total of 77 miles. I was SO glad to get a decent ride in until.... I looked at my garmin. I jut don't get it. My weekly TT's have me around 17.x, which I know is slow for some, but for me I'm happy with it. I stretch out to a long ride, and I become a lame donkey with a gimpy hip. I'm SO frustrated. On top of it, I think I had heatstroke as I just felt really nauseous and had a headache. Ggggrrr so frustrating.

I also struggled again with nutrition. I want to try something other than bonk breakers. By the second hour I didn't want to eat anything. I know someone mentioned skratch labs, so I'm looking into that. Do you use just their products or supplement them with something else?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86