BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-02-11 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
I wanted to be 1000!!

2008-02-11 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Looks like you got 1,000 *and* 1,001, Shawn. Congratulations!

I have a nutrition question. Or maybe questions. There seems to be a fair amount of chatter on the main boards about nutrition lately, but I thought I'd bring it here for some of us newbies.

Basically, I pretty much never bother with nutrition because my workouts are rarely long enough for it to be an issue. Once or twice I've had a gel during a long bike ride, but that's it. But during my sprint last November, I remember thinking toward the end of the bike that I was feeling a little low energy, and that it'd probably be a good idea, next time, to take some preventive steps to avoid feeling rundown during the run. Then again, yesterday I did a brick that was longer than my sprint last year, and I felt fine without taking anything other than a few gulps of water before the run.

My policy so far has been to just drink water, even during long workouts, unless I'm feeling particularly tired, and then have a gel. I never bother with any sort of energy drink, and I really don't like eating solid food when I'm working out, so gels are kind of perfect (although I really hate the taste of them). I have a fair amount of experience with gels from hiking/backpacking, so I know my body tolerates them well, and they tend to have very quick results for me -- definitely within a few minutes of eating one I feel better.

But that said, should I be eating a gel *before* a race or a long workout, instead of waiting until I feel off? And if I do eat a gel for a race, when do I eat it? Before the swim? At the start of the bike? Toward the end of the bike? Should I be throwing some energy drinks in there? I'm assuming these are details I need to work out for myself, but I thought some of you guys might have some advice (plus, it's hard to figure out how swimming works into the big picture, since I don't plan to do any swim-to-bike bricks). Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to overdo it with nutrition during a race (or a long workout, for that matter).

Looking at what the more experienced racers are posting in the main forums, it seems like people's nutrition needs vary pretty dramatically -- from folks who say they need no extra nutrition at all for anything less than an HIM to people who take three or more gels for a sprint.

And one final question, just for good measure: Am I overthinking things again? *g*
2008-02-12 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Erin, I think your nutrition questions are all good!  I am also waiting for the answers....  I know that now is the time to experiment with different nutrition, and find what works, and stick to it on race day.  I am not quite to the super long workouts yet, but once I hit them, I will be trying out drinks, gels etc to see if I see/feel any difference.  I know on race day, like every day, I cannot function without my two cups of coffee.  It's just how I am!  Since I have 'only' done sprints so far, I haven't worried much about nutrition, although did gel while on the early part of the bike for a couple of races.  Once I think I had gatorade in my bottle but didn't drink it.

Today I ran 40 minutes, and around 25 minutes my darn blister on my right arch acted up again.  I totally spaced on the body glide, so I probably deserve it.  Still, I now have a blister on top of a blister.  Very annoying to say the least.....I am having terrible flashbacks to volleyball camp where this kept happening to me when I was 14.  I don't know if I need to change shoes, although they are new but the same as my old ones.  I guess I will give my feet more time and see what happens. They are comfortable and I don't notice any rubbing until well into my runs.  Darn equipment! I got new goggles but they leaked constantly during my swim yesterday.  Grumble.

Edit-There is a nutrition chat with Coach Marni Rakes on here on 2/17. I will be they discuss this issue!

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2008-02-12 3:51 PM
2008-02-13 8:17 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi Everyone!

Still not much time for posting - the days are flying by and I haven't figured out how to access the internet from my apartment - I got my laptop, so hopefully after a call to the facilities people today I will be able to get on. 

I tried everything, should be pretty simple, shouldn't it?

Anyway, I joined a gym, and got a wralk in last night.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma as to what to do for training right now.  My first scheduled event is June 22 and is an Oly.  I am planning on doing the 16 week Oly training plan once the timing is right, but need to figure out what to do until then.

Any suggestions?  Should I do like the first X days of a training plan and then start over?  I'm not very good at just making up workouts.

2008-02-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1208991

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
lastcall2003 - 2008-02-13 6:17 AM

Hi Everyone!

Still not much time for posting - the days are flying by and I haven't figured out how to access the internet from my apartment - I got my laptop, so hopefully after a call to the facilities people today I will be able to get on. 

I tried everything, should be pretty simple, shouldn't it?

Anyway, I joined a gym, and got a wralk in last night.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma as to what to do for training right now.  My first scheduled event is June 22 and is an Oly.  I am planning on doing the 16 week Oly training plan once the timing is right, but need to figure out what to do until then.

Any suggestions?  Should I do like the first X days of a training plan and then start over?  I'm not very good at just making up workouts.

Hey Beth,

Why don't you do the last few weeks of a sprint plan? Those numbers pretty much end up around the beginning of the Oly training plan.  You could skip the taper and race week at the end.  Look at the plans and see where they end up and go from there?  I finished up a sprint plan right before starting the Oly and I have not found the workouts to be too hard (yet!!!).  My struggle is still getting on the bike.  I will, I know I will!!!

Good luck getting the internet up and running.  I know I feel lost without my window to the outside world! 

2008-02-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1204430

User image

Melon Presser

Erin on swim workout breakdown

Fielding - 2008-02-11 2:30 AM Basically, right now I spend about 60 percent of every workout on drills or pulls, and the rest is intervals: one day a week I do 50y sprints, one day a week I do 100y sets, and the third day I do 200y sets. Every three weeks or so I do a long, straight swim just as a confidence booster, so I know I can do it. Does that sound about right? Re: Catchup and Superman. I actually do the superman drill every workout, and I think my rotation is mostly OK (certainly it can improve a lot, I'm sure, but both coaches said my rotation is pretty decent). I think I'm just doing something weird in the catchup drill. I'll have to work on that next swim. Anyway, I get the point: Follow the plan. I can do that!

Honestly, 60% on drills is good, at this point. Pulls--no. Especially not with paddles, especially not with any recent history of arm or shoulder problems. But (shock, I do read them) from your logs I know you're ditching the paddles for now, so this is good.

You could even do a long straight swim every two weeks, if you like.

2008-02-13 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1205169

User image

Melon Presser

MrsUSMC - 2008-02-11 10:48 AM I'm catching up, slowly but surely. You all are fonts of information! I had planned myself too heavily last week expecting the doctor to say no-way, so I didn't make it to the gym. Right now; however, my gym bag is sitting on the floor under my desk, I've talked to my PT, and I'm going in tonight to get on the treadmill. I'm having a bit of trouble with the orthotics. The heel portion is wider than my running shoe and it tends to slip forward in my shoe. Any suggestions, besides going back to the doctor, who I'm planning to call tomorrow morning?

Hi Terri! Did you get your orthotics slippage taken care of? They do take a while to work with and sort through--just like a new house or new bike, I guess. Gotta tweak things a little, sometimes.

When I got orthotics, I had to get the absolute widest running shoe possible--before, I could let the sides of my feet "flop over" the edges (not recommended, but when you've got the biggest feet on BT ...), but not with the orthos, since they had rigid sides.

2008-02-13 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1207953

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Nice to see you, Beth! I don't have any great advice on what to do with your training plan, but Leslie's tips make sense. If you just need some sort of schedule to keep you going, maybe you could check out several plans and pick a few weeks from one that will work for you until you start the formal plan. Heh, did that make any sense? If it were me, though, I'd pick one area that I need to work on and make an effort to do that, like, four times a week, and then just do the other two at my leisure. I really like unstructured time, and I especially appreciate now that I'm on a training plan.

Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-12 1:50 PM

Today I ran 40 minutes, and around 25 minutes my darn blister on my right arch acted up again. I totally spaced on the body glide, so I probably deserve it. Still, I now have a blister on top of a blister. Very annoying to say the least.....I am having terrible flashbacks to volleyball camp where this kept happening to me when I was 14. I don't know if I need to change shoes, although they are new but the same as my old ones. I guess I will give my feet more time and see what happens. They are comfortable and I don't notice any rubbing until well into my runs. Darn equipment! I got new goggles but they leaked constantly during my swim yesterday. Grumble.

What is with the team psychic connection! I've been having shoe and goggle problems! I'm starting to think I might need to check out a new kind of shoe when my current pair of Asics are done -- I just bought the Asics, and they're the same kind as my previous pair, which I loved, but I'm having issues with them. I was getting blisters on top of blisters (and body glide wasn't helping, mostly because it seemed to be an issue of pressure, not just rubbing), although that seems to be better now. They're still not feeling quite right.

And the goggles, ugh. I *hate* leaky goggles. I finally got a new pair, and they don't leak but they fog up really easily. I guess I was spoiled by my first pair, which never had any problems.

So where is everyone? What's on the schedule for today, folks? I've got an hour on the stationary bike. Yuk.
2008-02-13 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1209780

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-02-13 10:45 AM

Honestly, 60% on drills is good, at this point. Pulls--no. Especially not with paddles, especially not with any recent history of arm or shoulder problems. But (shock, I do read them) from your logs I know you're ditching the paddles for now, so this is good.

You could even do a long straight swim every two weeks, if you like.

Thanks, Yanti! So I shouldn't be doing any pulls, like using a pull buoy? I've been keeping that in my workouts partly because I enjoy it, and partly because it's useful for focusing on my stroke without worrying about my legs, but if it's likely to put too much strain on my shoulders I don't mind cutting it out for a while and replacing it with more drills.
2008-02-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1206059

User image

Melon Presser

Shawn on swimplan.com, paddles 

ShawnC13 - 2008-02-11 4:49 PM Yanti thanks for the swim info. I need more drills I know I should be practicing and will from now on. In another thread I think it is my Swimming Rocks thread someone posted www.swimplan.com it is free and will give you work outs take a look I am not experienced enough to know if it is good or not.

It's not bad. I like how they incorporate drills and throw in a little bit of the other strokes, especially backstroke. It's also good they color-code each set to show how hard you should do it.

What I don't like is that they have pull sets. I have a special dislike for paddles except in VERY short and LIMITED drills (unless you're a very advanced swimmer, in which case you don't need to be using them, ha, ha). This is why. Take a less-than-perfect stroke, one in which there's some extra strain here or there, and now ADD A LOT OF FORCE to that strain.

One-liner: I like it, with some modifications. If you do the pull, do it without paddles, and make sure the workout is similar to whatever is on your BT (or other) plan.

2008-02-13 1:10 PM
in reply to: #1209825

User image

Melon Presser

Erin on pulling

Fielding - 2008-02-13 11:59 AM

Thanks, Yanti! So I shouldn't be doing any pulls, like using a pull buoy? I've been keeping that in my workouts partly because I enjoy it, and partly because it's useful for focusing on my stroke without worrying about my legs, but if it's likely to put too much strain on my shoulders I don't mind cutting it out for a while and replacing it with more drills.

Sigh--I'm not gonna say "not any," because this really isn't a black-or-white deal (I'll tell ya when it's black-or-white, have I held back thus far? ) ... and a pull buoy does give you some flotation which makes up for the extra resistance. My general recommendation, which you should absolutely tweak to your own experience, is no pulling for now. Give it a couple two or three more weeks, then carefully incorporate, with a pull buoy.

2008-02-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1209858

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-02-13 11:10 AM

Sigh--I'm not gonna say "not any," because this really isn't a black-or-white deal (I'll tell ya when it's black-or-white, have I held back thus far? ) ... and a pull buoy does give you some flotation which makes up for the extra resistance. My general recommendation, which you should absolutely tweak to your own experience, is no pulling for now. Give it a couple two or three more weeks, then carefully incorporate, with a pull buoy.

Heh. Sorry to put you on the spot, Yanti! I do very much value your opinion, and with the swim stuff? I seriously have no clue what I'm talking about 90 percent of the time. I am totally fine taking out all pull work (for the record, I haven't used the paddles in several weeks) -- hell, it'll probably be good for me since I obviously still have a problem with my hips sinking, and part of the reason I like using the pull buoy is because it makes me feel better/faster. Which is just silly. Also, I really do enjoy drills (I know, I'm strange), so I don't mind at all incorporating more of them into my workouts.
2008-02-13 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1209812

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

So where is everyone? What's on the schedule for today, folks? I've got an hour on the stationary bike. Yuk.

I'm housewifing this morning (i.e. cleaning, laundry and changing diapers!) and off to the gym for a swim after school drop off at 1230.  Then I will either use the trainer when I get home or hit the spinning class at 6.  That may not fit in as I have a kid coming over for a playdate at 330 so we shall see......so many playdates this week, argh!!!  I swear that if I can't ride before hubby is home, I am locking myself in the garage on the bike until I am done!!!!

2008-02-13 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1209877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hello everyone here is what on tap for today-1 hour ride followed by a three mile run during my sons baseball practice. then home to conquer more homework and family time. sorry i have been busy with everything, but great work everybody.
2008-02-14 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Hey Cool Kids, Happy Valentine's Day

2008-02-14 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Happy Valentine's Day, Manatees!

What's on everyone's agenda today? I've got a short swim and a 5-mile run. Maybe I'll treat myself to cake.

2008-02-14 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

I've been swamped at work and with life . . . EVEN TRAINING is suffering, so you know I'm busy   I have gotten in a *little* but my logs are behind again . . .

On a positive note, I got registered for the Lincoln half-marathon in May.  A really good friend from MN is joining me & I'm SUPER excited!  Actually she will be in town the week of Feb 24th as well (on business), we've got some plans to hang out and get some workouts in (isn't that what most people do?) haha

I still need to sign up for an OLY in early April . . . Yanti I think you said there is one out there in that timeframe, what is the name of that event?

My plans for today . . . maybe a spin class.  I already did one this AM, is that bad?  I'm trying to keep my knees fresh for a long run on Sunday, but I NEED more for today after a less than satisfactory week!  I've got a 3 HOUR bike ride scheduled for Sat and probably won't be able to get outside . . . ughh!  There is a 1 hour spin class I could take - I thought of trying to do an hour before and an hour after, but HOW BORING!!!  Any thoughts/suggestions?

I know I haven't been here much, but I sure do love being a part of this group with all of you wonderful souls!  Hope you all have a wonderful V-Day!!!

Renee

P.S.  Leslie, I think I saw that I missed your Birthday . . . I'm soooo sorry . . .  HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY!!!  Hope you had a great one, I'll have to get back in here later and check that out!

2008-02-14 9:25 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Leslie!  Brilliant suggestion

I actually even figured out how to import portions of the plan so it worked out just right. 

I still need to juggle a few things around, due to travel schedule, but I feel better just having something to work toward.

Now if I can just get out of work early enough to get to spin class

2008-02-15 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Good morning everybody, TGIF!!!

Here's my dilemma for the day--my first Oly tri is scheduled for June 7.  There's a local sprint on May 31 that I was planning to do, until I realized the dates were so close.  Is it reasonable or smart to do both?  The sprint is a 400 m swim, 14.5 mile bike and 3.5 mile run, within just a few minutes of my house, and the bike route is my main training route (which, for the first time since last fall, I can ride tomorrow since it will finally be SUNNY!).  But I digress.  The down side is that the sprint is $70 to sign up.  I think it is tax deductible as it is for charity.  What would YOU do?

Today I will be swimming 44 minutes, getting pretty close to my longest ever.  My swim plan calls for 6 x 200 for the main set, so I need to figure some other drills for the remainder of the session.  What are you guys up to today, this weekend?

2008-02-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1214314

User image

Melon Presser

HI EVERYBODY! Yes, sorry I've been busy/quiet/blech/Answer D.

Now, what I would do and what I should do and what you should do are perhaps very different things .

The Oly is your A race, and every tri is a risk--so I wouldn't do the sprint, even as a warm-up or tune-up. You are awesome and could definitely hold down your pace; that's not the issue at all--but especially at sprints, so many crazy things can happen, especially on the bike, and you just don't want to risk an injury before your A race.

Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-15 8:19 AM

Good morning everybody, TGIF!!!

Here's my dilemma for the day--my first Oly tri is scheduled for June 7.  There's a local sprint on May 31 that I was planning to do, until I realized the dates were so close.  Is it reasonable or smart to do both?  The sprint is a 400 m swim, 14.5 mile bike and 3.5 mile run, within just a few minutes of my house, and the bike route is my main training route (which, for the first time since last fall, I can ride tomorrow since it will finally be SUNNY!).  But I digress.  The down side is that the sprint is $70 to sign up.  I think it is tax deductible as it is for charity.  What would YOU do?

Today I will be swimming 44 minutes, getting pretty close to my longest ever.  My swim plan calls for 6 x 200 for the main set, so I need to figure some other drills for the remainder of the session.  What are you guys up to today, this weekend?

2008-02-15 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Yeah, the sprint seems like a bit of a risk, just a week before your oly, Leslie. Like Yanti said, I'm sure you *could* do it, but...

Have fun with the swim tonight! Tonight I've got a 30-minute swim and a 5-mile run (that I was supposed to do last night), tomorrow is a two-hour bike and possibly a hike in the morning. And I have four days off from work (yay!), so I'm really going to try to get in an open water swim this weekend.

2008-02-16 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Hey group. Haven't been around much been super busy here. The whole week was basically a rest week and it shouldn't have. watching replay of kona now
2008-02-16 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Oooh, I forgot that I am recording Kona!  Yay!!! Will look forward to that later on.  I am cleaning now, the house gets so messy in about five minutes.  Sigh, housewife complaints are so boring, huh?? 

I ran my allotted 27 minutes today, on a route that is exactly 5k!  During the run I had a sort of panic attack/wheezing and had to walk a little bit--I think my empty stomach + 2 cups of coffee + lack of sleep (thanks, kids!) + thinking about my to-do list all added up at the same time.  I was fine after a little breather.

I am going for a long bike ride tomorrow morning, as the weather is finally supposed to be sunny here!!!  Erin, where are you doing your OWS?  In the bay?  Isn't that coooooolllllddddd?

Have a great weekend, everybody!!!!!

2008-02-16 11:11 PM
in reply to: #1216042

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Damn! I forgot all about Kona! Eh, it probably wouldn't have been on anyway -- my local NBC didn't show the first run of it.

Nice to see you here, Shawn. Sucks about not being able to get in more trianing. I hope life settles down a little soon.

Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-16 11:52 AM

I ran my allotted 27 minutes today, on a route that is exactly 5k! During the run I had a sort of panic attack/wheezing and had to walk a little bit--I think my empty stomach + 2 cups of coffee + lack of sleep (thanks, kids!) + thinking about my to-do list all added up at the same time. I was fine after a little breather.

I am going for a long bike ride tomorrow morning, as the weather is finally supposed to be sunny here!!! Erin, where are you doing your OWS? In the bay? Isn't that coooooolllllddddd?

Have a great weekend, everybody!!!!!

Leslie, that was a fantastic run today! You are super fast, even when you're hurting.

My OWS will be in the bay, and yep, it'll be cold. I've done one bay swim before and it felt fine with the wetsuit -- it's getting used to dunking my head in the freezing water that's hard. Last time I had to tread water for a few minutes and wait for my body to settle down before I could really swim. But once I got going it felt good. For me, the toughest part is just getting there -- there's really only one place to swim in the bay (safely) and it's kind of a to drive out there. Still, I have to do it. Sprint tri's in just two weeks (!!!) and I really need some open water practice.
2008-02-17 11:49 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi folks!

just wrapping up the weekend before I get on the plane to go back to PA - talk about weekends going by too fast!

I got two wralks in this weekend and feel like I am starting to make some progress

today I even did a run 3 walk 2 set - progress, slow but sure

I am finally back online during the week (figured out the connection situation at the apartment on Thursday of last week) so I should be able to catch up at long last!

have a great day!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61