BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-02-18 12:41 AM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!

INDEX

1. Intros/Plans, Running Shoe Tips

2. Rest/Recovery, Base intro, Adding Friends, Erin/Renee Intro, Diet Improvement, Run/Walk

3. Bike Purchase/Fit, Run/Walk Diet Improvement

4. Swim Form, First Tri Story (Beth, Shawn, Yanti)

5. Swim Form

7. Freestyle Errors, Mental Training intro

8. Base Building, Swim Guidelines

9. Weight Loss, Swim Video Links, Base Links

11. Tri Race Links, Injuries, Sleep & Weight Loss

12. Pool Etiquette

15. Injury, Wetsuits
16. Swim form (halfway down, from Beth)
17. Saddle pain
18. Mary + tri training; back-to-back workouts; mileage v. time
19. Tapering/plan adjustment
20. Half mary/HIM running; kicking; antibiotics; bike boredom

22. Swimming—head position
23. Spinning® Class Tips, cadence/RPM (BT article link)

25. Clipping in/out, cadence, HIM training, running over plan

27. Awesome SWIM links
28. Pedal stroke drills; hillbilly remedies

30. Index 1-15
31. Travel after race

33. Aero on a Spinner®; swim Qs—distance, catch-up, cap
34. Swim answers & drills

2008-02-18 12:55 AM
in reply to: #1206206

User image

Melon Presser

Okay, I PROMISE I'll be catching up to posts and inserting good cheer and so forth--time to get this party started again!

Same old, same old as everyone else--very busy, tired, lack of motivation, etc., etc. [any standard excuse will do, it's probably true] 

2008-02-18 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1206206

User image

Melon Presser

Erin on NUTRITION around workouts and races

Very timely question, Erin (nice, only took me a week to reply)--lots of good stuff came up in the nutrition chat with Coach Marni last night.

This is just my own random thought, although well-backed up by a lot of good IMers! Don't get your nutrition dialed in TOO closely--you'll see some general guidelines below and they're good for starters. There is some benefit to being a garbage can--that is, being able to eat different kinds of things on workout and race days at different times so that you can handle whatever unexpected things might happen on a race day.

But again--don't eat Mexican food, hot wings, pizza and cake the day before a half-marathon.

Fielding - 2008-02-11 5:25 PM But that said, should I be eating a gel *before* a race or a long workout, instead of waiting until I feel off?

Try a 200-300 calorie breakfast/meal 2 hrs before a race; carbs and a bit of protein. Anything else, take during the race. For a long workout (90+ min), 100-200 calorie snack before, a gel or equivalent maybe every 45 min. during. EXTREMELY important to get in the 4:1 carbs/protein snack ASAP after a long effort, though.

And if I do eat a gel for a race, when do I eat it? Before the swim? At the start of the bike? Toward the end of the bike? Should I be throwing some energy drinks in there?

Start of the bike is good b/c you're not eating up (ha ha) transition time, and breakfast should do you fine through the swim. If it's an Oly, probably another gel during the bike, as well. Energy drinks should be electrolyte-replacement drinks and not anything else (like Monster or Full Throttle carp). If you're looking at very long workouts or efforts (I'd say Oly race and over), energy drinks are very helpful b/c they have those all-important electrolytes that you're sweating out, and their calories are easily ingested. Gels/equiv should always be taken with several ounces of plain water--they're pretty concentrated. 

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to overdo it with nutrition during a race (or a long workout, for that matter).

Yes. Don't follow the manufacturer's recommendations. They want to sell product. Nothing is worse than a giant lump of sugar/whatever in your stomach during a long run or race. Except maybe when it's going through your system too fast ... ewwww.

The fitter I get, the more efficient my body gets at utilizing energy--I eat way, way less now during training/races than when I started several years ago. My first marathon, I ate a gel or something every 2 mi and went through scads of Gatorade. My last marathon--20 oz Gatorade, 3 gels, 1 handful of Froot Loops, a small candy cane.

There's some debate to this (like everything!), but I've heard it from Jeff Galloway, amiine (Jorge here on BT, USAT/USAC coach), and other sources I've read that really, even up to about a 4-hour effort, taking in nutrition is mostly to make your brain feel better (of course, that makes all the difference in the world)--oh, and electrolyte replacement. However, the energy from the calories you take in really isn't being used--your body is still using its own stores.

2008-02-18 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1209812

User image

Melon Presser

Blisters, goggles

Today I ran 40 minutes, and around 25 minutes my darn blister on my right arch acted up again. I totally spaced on the body glide, so I probably deserve it. Still, I now have a blister on top of a blister. Very annoying to say the least.....I am having terrible flashbacks to volleyball camp where this kept happening to me when I was 14. I don't know if I need to change shoes, although they are new but the same as my old ones. I guess I will give my feet more time and see what happens. They are comfortable and I don't notice any rubbing until well into my runs. Darn equipment! I got new goggles but they leaked constantly during my swim yesterday. Grumble.

Yuck--you and Erin both!

I've had MUCH better results using SportShield (roll on, NOT powder) than Bodyglide. A bottle lasts forever (you guys know my running volume and it took me 2 years to go through ONE roll-on), it has more lubricity, it lasts through a marathon (or LD swim, bike) no problem, etc.

BTW if you're out of lube, something is better than nothing--Vaseline, KY/Astro, thick lotion, etc.

Apply liberally to the spot, AND to the outside of the sock (this is key). 

Shoe lacing can also make a huge difference for rubbing spots. I actually lace my right and left shoe differently to adjust for the feet.

Goggles--lick the insides before you swim. It makes them a mite blurrier, but no fogging! As for the leaks--I'm being an azz, but you guys do try them on in the store, right? Also, I recommend not buying goggles (unless you had EXACTLY the same brand before and they were great) that don't have an adjustable nosepiece.

2008-02-18 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1218654

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
TriAya - 2008-02-18 12:24 PM

Blisters, goggles

Goggles--lick the insides before you swim. It makes them a mite blurrier, but no fogging! As for the leaks--I'm being an azz, but you guys do try them on in the store, right? Also, I recommend not buying goggles (unless you had EXACTLY the same brand before and they were great) that don't have an adjustable nosepiece.

I will admit, I bought my goggles online without trying them--they were cheap and I know someone (Lynne) who loves that brand, so she will get them next time I see her!  Learned my lesson.  On the other hand I also bought three swimsuits without trying them on, and they all rock.  So I guess that worked out ok!

I will be in search of SportShield ASAP. The bodyglide did help this weekend, no problem with my short run.  Tomorrow is my long run, so cross your fingers for me! I am really digging the Oly plan now that I am finding my groove.  It's weird having two rest days per week, but I seem to be able to go with it for now.  I suppose that gives me some wiggle room for my Disney vacation, etc etc, plus I find I am more apt to do strength training or belly dancing or other stuff with an off day available.  It was so nice here this weekend, we had sunshine sunshine sunshine!!!  It's been a lousy wet and gray winter until now.  Can't wait until spring is truly here...and summer.  Ah, summer.

2008-02-18 9:15 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

I made it to the gym tonight!

first spinning class in PA!

yaaaay!

2008-02-18 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1212468

User image

Melon Presser
rreischl - 2008-02-14 11:25 AM

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!

I've been swamped at work and with life . . . EVEN TRAINING is suffering, so you know I'm busy I have gotten in a *little* but my logs are behind again . . .

Hey, join the club--I'm just catching up to everything now.

On a positive note, I got registered for the Lincoln half-marathon in May. A really good friend from MN is joining me & I'm SUPER excited! Actually she will be in town the week of Feb 24th as well (on business), we've got some plans to hang out and get some workouts in (isn't that what most people do?) haha

Congrats! How exciting for you!!!!! Half-maries rock.

I still need to sign up for an OLY in early April . . . Yanti I think you said there is one out there in that timeframe, what is the name of that event?

Actually, the earliest around that time frame is April 20--La Quinta (Toyota) Desert International. My training buddy and I are doing it. Again, you (and the rest of you) are more than welcome to come out for that or any other race. 

2008-02-19 1:59 AM
in reply to: #1219451

User image

Melon Presser
lastcall2003 - 2008-02-18 8:15 PM

I made it to the gym tonight!

first spinning class in PA!

yaaaay!

Congratulations, Bethie! Come on, now ... don't spare the juicy details .

2008-02-19 2:31 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Beth: Yay! It's about time you made it to the gym! (Hehe, that came out wrong -- I know you've been crazy busy with the new life. It's great that you finally found time.)

Yanti: Thank you! Your advice is always worth the wait. That's good to know about over-eating -- it's not something I'm worried about, since if anything I underdo it (I really need to drink more water during long-ish workouts), but it's good to know because there's so much talk about nutrition here. I'll be experimenting with gels mostly over the next few weeks as I head toward my oly. It sounds like I'm mostly on the right track.

I got out for my first OWS of the year today. Yeek. I'm really not a fan of the open water. It's just such a pain in the with the wetsuit-wrangling and the sighting and whatnot. Ugh. I don't think I did very well, but I'm pleased with myself just for getting out there. It was cold!

Yanti and Leslie: speaking of goggles, I wrestled with mine for I swear to God 20 minutes today. I'm standing there up to my chest in the water and every time I tried to put on the goggles the strap would snap off. It was crazy. Finally I figured out how to wrap the strap around a couple times so it was secure, and then it was fine (and no leaking either). Yanti, your advice about licking the goggles is great! My goggles were fogging up big-time today and it was really screwing up my sighting.

2008-02-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1219641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Erin, AWESOME job getting in your OWS!  Have you ever done one before?  I'm a bit worried about that part . . . I don't have a wetsuit & DON'T want to shop for one LOL!  Plus, I don't think I'll get a chance to try an OWS until my first tri - which will probably be an OLY in early April!  Where is time going???  I STILL NEED A BIKE!  Ok, sorry, this was about you   NICE JOB!!

Renee

2008-02-19 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Yanti, I appreciate the info on refueling as well.  It comes at a good time!  I've been making it through my longer workouts just fine (usually about 2 hours) but then find myself sick for a good couple hours after that, even though I usually eat something right after.  I have ONLY been using water during the workouts, so I'll definately start using some of the drinks with electrolytes and experiment with some gels, etc. 

Renee

2008-02-19 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey yanti thanks for all of the info. sorry that i have been awol lately(crazy work/home/baseball for my kids and life in general). i hope everyone is well and training our collective arses off....
2008-02-19 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1220720

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
rreischl - 2008-02-19 10:48 AM

Erin, AWESOME job getting in your OWS! Have you ever done one before? I'm a bit worried about that part . . . I don't have a wetsuit & DON'T want to shop for one LOL! Plus, I don't think I'll get a chance to try an OWS until my first tri - which will probably be an OLY in early April! Where is time going??? I STILL NEED A BIKE! Ok, sorry, this was about you NICE JOB!!

Renee

This was my fourth OWS, although only my second in San Francisco Bay and with a wetsuit (the others were in a lake over the summer). It's really not that bad! For me, the nerves before getting in the water are way worse than the actual swim, and the wetsuit makes swimming soooo much easier (my legs just float!). But yeah, I found the whole process -- shopping for a wetsuit, trying them on, getting in the water -- totally intidmidating. You just have to make yourself do it.
2008-02-19 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1221876

User image

Melon Presser
Fielding - 2008-02-19 5:07 PM

Erin, AWESOME job getting in your OWS! Have you ever done one before? I'm a bit worried about that part . . . I don't have a wetsuit & DON'T want to shop for one LOL! Plus, I don't think I'll get a chance to try an OWS until my first tri - which will probably be an OLY in early April! Where is time going??? I STILL NEED A BIKE! Ok, sorry, this was about you NICE JOB!!

Renee

This was my fourth OWS, although only my second in San Francisco Bay and with a wetsuit (the others were in a lake over the summer). It's really not that bad! For me, the nerves before getting in the water are way worse than the actual swim, and the wetsuit makes swimming soooo much easier (my legs just float!). But yeah, I found the whole process -- shopping for a wetsuit, trying them on, getting in the water -- totally intidmidating. You just have to make yourself do it.

Actually, if you're poor like me, the process is really easy. You buy the dirt cheapest tri wetsuit you can find and you MAKE it fit. No trying on, no sobbing, no wallet-dent regrets.

Truly, if you're interested in getting a cheap wetsuit online, I have some great suggestions to try.

Trust me, nobody in the universe can get tri stuff for cheaper than me. (Unless they happen to be dating, for example, a Clif representative, which I have also done. Ahem.)

2008-02-19 6:22 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Renee

You rock the house. I don't broach Northern California waters--period. BRRRRR!

2008-02-19 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
After long runs my group usually soaks in the ocean up over our waist for 10 min then out for 10 and back in for 10. Let me tell you the Pacific is quite cold up here!!! I was the only one to have actually gone all the way under and swim for a bit.

2008-02-19 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1222068

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

ShawnC13 - 2008-02-19 5:35 PM After long runs my group usually soaks in the ocean up over our waist for 10 min then out for 10 and back in for 10. Let me tell you the Pacific is quite cold up here!!! I was the only one to have actually gone all the way under and swim for a bit.

That actually sounds good, post-run!  Do you notice less muscle fatigue when you do that?  I have Puget Sound here, but can't say I've intentionally gone in.  I do live by a lake, though, and stuck my arm in on Sunday--it was awfully cold!  If I do the local tri on May 31, I will be swimming in that lake (possibly with wetsuit, but it's only 400m so not even sure about that).  Still debating it.  I tend to have a hard time committing to races, sometimes.  Not actually doing them, just signing up.  I am sort of a fair-weather athlete so I like to know what my odds of decent weather are before I send in my money!!   Lame?  Perhaps.  I did a tri in a horrible rain squall last year, it was awful!!  (Yet, I still had fun.)

2008-02-20 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Fielding - 2008-02-19 6:07 PM

Renee

Glad I'm not the only one intimidated by that whole process!!  I REALLY don't want to shop for one . . . but I'll get there one of these days.  I like hearing the wetsuit actually helps with swimming, maybe that will help motivate me get to it LOL!

Do you have many more OWS planned before your race?

Renee

2008-02-20 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1221920

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
TriAya - 2008-02-19 6:22 PM

Renee

Actually, if you're poor like me, the process is really easy. You buy the dirt cheapest tri wetsuit you can find and you MAKE it fit. No trying on, no sobbing, no wallet-dent regrets.

Truly, if you're interested in getting a cheap wetsuit online, I have some great suggestions to try.

Trust me, nobody in the universe can get tri stuff for cheaper than me. (Unless they happen to be dating, for example, a Clif representative, which I have also done. Ahem.)

I'm definateley interested in CHEAP, but wouldn't I have to go try some on first, to get SOME idea where to start for sizes?  Wonder if there are any of those Clif reps out in Omaha LOL! 

Speaking of Clif . . . have you guys tried the shots and/or gels?  If so, which do you like better?  Where do you find them?

Thanks! 

2008-02-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1223837

User image

Melon Presser
rreischl - 2008-02-20 12:59 PM

I'm definateley interested in CHEAP, but wouldn't I have to go try some on first, to get SOME idea where to start for sizes?  Wonder if there are any of those Clif reps out in Omaha LOL! 

Speaking of Clif . . . have you guys tried the shots and/or gels?  If so, which do you like better?  Where do you find them?

Thanks! 

Most of the manufacturers have pretty good sizing charts, and you can read reviews of the major brands to get an idea if they tend to size small or large (and the manufacturers often post that themselves), or what the design quirks are.

Besides, you can always send them back, and most of the online stuff has free return shipping.

I like CLIF blocks, because they actually make me feel like I'm eating something out there. (I feel more satisfied). Plus, they are like gummy bears, and who doesn't like gummy bears?

However, CLIF shots have this really nifty "hanger" where you can slide them onto a water belt or even race belt, so they are easily transported.

Of course there are CLIF reps in Omaha. Show up at major sports (endurance) events and there is nearly always a CLIF booth. They give away free samples. If there is a single-looking guy, hit him up.

2008-02-20 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Our mentor totally gives the best advice.

2008-02-20 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1222121

User image

Melon Presser
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-19 8:04 PM

ShawnC13 - 2008-02-19 5:35 PM After long runs my group usually soaks in the ocean up over our waist for 10 min then out for 10 and back in for 10. Let me tell you the Pacific is quite cold up here!!! I was the only one to have actually gone all the way under and swim for a bit.

That actually sounds good, post-run!  Do you notice less muscle fatigue when you do that? 

Yes.

There's some interesting thoughts on BT if you Search Forums for "ice bath."

Me, I looooove going in the ocean (no matter how cold) after a long run ... big fan of cold showers and ice baths, and going swimming ... I notice a huge difference.

2008-02-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: #1224108

User image

Melon Presser

Fielding - 2008-02-20 2:28 PM Our mentor totally gives the best advice.

The mentorees (manatees?) just bring it out. Brilliant, accomplished, and very creative lot, you!

2008-02-20 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
thanks to our mentors great insight and motivation i actually ran for the first time one hour straight, and relativly pain free. a good day.
2008-02-20 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1224164

User image

Melon Presser

wplummer - 2008-02-20 2:45 PM thanks to our mentors great insight and motivation i actually ran for the first time one hour straight, and relativly pain free. a good day.

That's all you, Will--you are awesome! Way to go to put the consistent training in.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61