BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-06-07 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
This is soooo cool, another weekend, and more racers to watch. Manatees rock. Go TJ, Claire and Reece! I could not be more excited for you guys, I hope that you all have fun, race well, and stay safe!

Salty, your race sounds pretty neat. Is it possible to be self reliant and wear a belt or hydro system of some sort? If I remember, you were not a fan of the belt. The only advice I have is do whatever I don't do. Because me and in race hydration are a huge work in progress!

2012-06-07 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

OK Manatees, what are gaiters?

Adrienne, have you tried that hand held water bottle with the wrist strap?  Interesting about running long in heat, I totally dislike the belt thing, will fight tooth and nail not to use one.  When I do training runs in heat I'll do a few out & backs where I ditch a bottle in long grass near a tree on the m/u trail etc. and pick up when I pass by.  Other times I have simply just carried my camelbak water bottle that I ride with.  I don't mind running holding a bottle if that's what I've got to do.  I still prefer that over the little bottles on the fuelbelt.

2012-06-07 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4250666

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2012-06-07 4:45 PM

So some random Salty-thoughts (yum):

The marathon I am doing is going to be a little quirky. We need headlamps for the first 3 miles, then we ditch the headlamps and it is a crushed rock surface. All the reviews say normal shoes/racing flats are fine so that is what I am going to do but they recommend some gaiters. I just bought some but have yet to try them out. 

I'm going 100% technology free  (including headphones.) Taking the headlamp off and negotiating a possible water bottle refill might get a little fussy with headphones.

It is a tiny marathon (capped at 400 participants) and the aid stations will be a little sketchy. There will be some manned water stations and some unmanned  where you are responsible for filling up your own bottle.

For this I am thinking of just running with a disposable and then ditch it when I am done and use the sporadic manned stations after that. I dunno... 

I can keep gels or whatever I am going to use on my race belt so that is no issue. 

Anyway, I guess I am not asking anyone anything specific but maybe read through this and see if there are any red flags. 

The water. You have a heads up about it, so you will be fine. But I ran a 15k (which also had a 25k and 50k option) which had no water stations just a "water block." I had no idea what that meant until I got to it. A cement block with a 5 gallon thermos of water on it. No cups in sight. I was not prepared and had to try to cup the water in my hand to drink.

So carry something to capture water. I want to do the 25k this fall, so I am going to invest in a collapsible cup and carry it in my waist pack.

Otherwise, I think it sounds like a blast. The crushed rock running surface sounds great.

2012-06-07 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4250717

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Good evening (or whatever it is) all. I did a very short swim at noon today, and didn't feel like doing that. I was hoping to get a ride/run in this evening, but I'm feeling even less like doing that, so I am bagging it. I don't really have any specific aches, just tired and feel like I need to give my body a bit of a break.

At the pool today, there was a 400+ pound woman in the water aerobics class. Her scooter was off to the side of the pool. At the end of class, she started to walk out of the water and got stuck on the stairs -- she couldn't move. I was already outside of the pool, in my car, when I noticed what was happening. Fortunately, another swimmer was still in the pool area and came to her aid, but there was nothing she could do. She got two of the lifeguards, and they tried to help pull her up the stairs, and she collapsed -- not out, just her legs gave out. She caught her self with her arms and then was stuck even worse. I noticed one of our police officers was on the other side of the parking lot, so I drove over and told her what was going on. I told her, "There is no way those boys are going to be able to get  her up out of the pool." She said she would go over to see what she could do.

When I went back to the pool this afternoon, I asked one of the lifeguards (one of my former students) how they got her out. She said it took six guys -- four lifeguards plus two city employees to get her out of the pool and into her scooter. The woman, bless her heart, told the lifeguards that she would be back tomorrow for water aerobics. I don't know what they are going to do. They have a chair lift they can install (I don't know why they took it out), but I don't think she would fit in it and neither does the pool manager.

I give her a lot of credit for getting out there and for being insistent that she will be back tomorrow. I hope she can keep it up and can figure out the entrance/exit problem.

2012-06-07 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4250992

User image

Master
reecealan - 2012-06-07 7:16 PM

Adrienne, have you tried that hand held water bottle with the wrist strap?  Interesting about running long in heat, I totally dislike the belt thing, will fight tooth and nail not to use one.  When I do training runs in heat I'll do a few out & backs where I ditch a bottle in long grass near a tree on the m/u trail etc. and pick up when I pass by.  Other times I have simply just carried my camelbak water bottle that I ride with.  I don't mind running holding a bottle if that's what I've got to do.  I still prefer that over the little bottles on the fuelbelt.

Gaiters are covers worn over shoe/lower pant leg to stop dirt/rocks from getting in your shoes. 

What happens if you wear gaiters and crocs together??

2012-06-07 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

reecealan - 2012-06-07 9:16 PM

http://runyourfirstultra.homestead.com/Pigtail_s_Run_2_3_07_010.jpg

I want a pink pair, of course, but I've not found them yet. Some runners had them on the trail run I did last fall. Last night on my run, I kicked up a rock into my shoe on a dirt/sandy portion and had to stop to take it out. That wouldn't have happened, if I had a pair of these.

2012-06-07 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4251039

User image

Master
KansasMom - 2012-06-07 8:06 PM

Good evening (or whatever it is) all. I did a very short swim at noon today, and didn't feel like doing that. I was hoping to get a ride/run in this evening, but I'm feeling even less like doing that, so I am bagging it. I don't really have any specific aches, just tired and feel like I need to give my body a bit of a break.

At the pool today, there was a 400+ pound woman in the water aerobics class. Her scooter was off to the side of the pool. At the end of class, she started to walk out of the water and got stuck on the stairs -- she couldn't move. I was already outside of the pool, in my car, when I noticed what was happening. Fortunately, another swimmer was still in the pool area and came to her aid, but there was nothing she could do. She got two of the lifeguards, and they tried to help pull her up the stairs, and she collapsed -- not out, just her legs gave out. She caught her self with her arms and then was stuck even worse. I noticed one of our police officers was on the other side of the parking lot, so I drove over and told her what was going on. I told her, "There is no way those boys are going to be able to get  her up out of the pool." She said she would go over to see what she could do.

When I went back to the pool this afternoon, I asked one of the lifeguards (one of my former students) how they got her out. She said it took six guys -- four lifeguards plus two city employees to get her out of the pool and into her scooter. The woman, bless her heart, told the lifeguards that she would be back tomorrow for water aerobics. I don't know what they are going to do. They have a chair lift they can install (I don't know why they took it out), but I don't think she would fit in it and neither does the pool manager.

I give her a lot of credit for getting out there and for being insistent that she will be back tomorrow. I hope she can keep it up and can figure out the entrance/exit problem.

Wow.  Good for her for being out there, and I do hope she goes back.  My ex-stepfather was that big and more.  Unfortunately, he never did anything about it, and died not too long ago due to complications from pneumonia.  He had pneumonia once before and his kidneys shut down--it took 4 paramedics and a tarp to get him down the stairs of the house and into the ambulance.  I hope that lady makes a commitment to her health and sticks with it.

2012-06-07 11:26 PM

User image

Seattle
reecealan - 2012-06-07 9:16 PM

Yeah, I've used one but it's not all that different from a disposable and I wouldn't have any qualms with ditching a disposable.
2012-06-07 11:27 PM
in reply to: #4251041

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2012-06-07 10:07 PM
reecealan - 2012-06-07 7:16 PM

Gaiters are covers worn over shoe/lower pant leg to stop dirt/rocks from getting in your shoes. 

What happens if you wear gaiters and crocs together??

Certainly nothing good can come of this
2012-06-08 3:09 AM
in reply to: #4250800

User image

England
amd723 - 2012-06-08 12:26 AM
Tripopo - 2012-06-07 5:09 PM

GO MANATEE RACERS GO!!!!

GO GET'M MANATEES!!!!!!

GO CLAIRE, REECE AND TJ. I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU ALL THIS WEEKEND AND WILL BE AS GREEN AS MY FROGGY AVATAR THAT I'M NOT OUT THERE WITH YOU.

2012-06-08 3:25 AM

User image

Elite

A big shout out to all our weekend racers!  You are going to rock this!

Beware the emotional fallout in 5 days time....Im under a cloud today!  I think I may just go to bed.

2012-06-08 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4251151

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2012-06-08 3:25 PM

A big shout out to all our weekend racers!  You are going to rock this!

Beware the emotional fallout in 5 days time....Im under a cloud today!  I think I may just go to bed.

Post-race depression is a very real phenomenon. That's why many training plans, especially for big races, have a recovery plan as well.

Rest. Reward. Recharge. Rethink future plans and how to use the lessons from this one to achieve them.

2012-06-08 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just picked up another mantra on another thread.  So these are the gems I'm taking with me to Moab:

"Start with your head, finish with your heart"

"just this side of awesome"

"WW_D" (fill in a name depending on the situation and sport, Chrissie, Yanti, Salty, Jo, Macca...)

"Pain is temporary, quitting is forever" (that one's on my RoadID)

and if things get ugly:

"left, right, repeat"

Edited by rrrunner 2012-06-08 8:00 AM
2012-06-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4250685

User image

Pennsylvania
Asalzwed - 2012-06-07 5:53 PM
rrrunner - 2012-06-07 4:41 PM

Go Claire!!!!!!!

It's almost like we're racing together, except I'll be in the state on the opposite side of Colorado, and I'm going on Saturday, and my race is slightly shorter (ok half!) Wink

Can't wait to track (stalk) you.

For those of you who were getting Jo's intermediate times, how'd you do that?

GO TJ! Man, I wish y'all were just a little closer to MY state so I could come and cheer you on!

We are a very spread out bunch, aren't we?  Multiple different countries, west coast folks, east coast folks, and others scattered in the central part, too!!  It is a shame we aren't closer to each other geographically but on the other hand it is very cool how diversified we are.

GO CLAIRE!!  GO TJ!!  GO REECE!!  All manatees: I wish you safe travels, good luck, have fun, and SMILE!!

Edited by melbo55 2012-06-08 9:44 AM
2012-06-08 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4251039

User image

Pennsylvania
KansasMom - 2012-06-07 11:06 PM

Good for her for being there in the first place and being determined to come back and not give up after what had to be a very embarassing, stressful situation.  I do hope they find a solution to make her efforts easier.  It was an important decision for her to try to take her life back. 

2012-06-08 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4251025

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
KansasMom - 2012-06-07 10:51 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-06-07 4:45 PM

So some random Salty-thoughts (yum):

The marathon I am doing is going to be a little quirky. We need headlamps for the first 3 miles, then we ditch the headlamps and it is a crushed rock surface. All the reviews say normal shoes/racing flats are fine so that is what I am going to do but they recommend some gaiters. I just bought some but have yet to try them out. 

I'm going 100% technology free  (including headphones.) Taking the headlamp off and negotiating a possible water bottle refill might get a little fussy with headphones.

It is a tiny marathon (capped at 400 participants) and the aid stations will be a little sketchy. There will be some manned water stations and some unmanned  where you are responsible for filling up your own bottle.

For this I am thinking of just running with a disposable and then ditch it when I am done and use the sporadic manned stations after that. I dunno... 

I can keep gels or whatever I am going to use on my race belt so that is no issue. 

Anyway, I guess I am not asking anyone anything specific but maybe read through this and see if there are any red flags. 

The water. You have a heads up about it, so you will be fine. But I ran a 15k (which also had a 25k and 50k option) which had no water stations just a "water block." I had no idea what that meant until I got to it. A cement block with a 5 gallon thermos of water on it. No cups in sight. I was not prepared and had to try to cup the water in my hand to drink.

So carry something to capture water. I want to do the 25k this fall, so I am going to invest in a collapsible cup and carry it in my waist pack.

Otherwise, I think it sounds like a blast. The crushed rock running surface sounds great.

This reminds me of a product that I have read about but not used.  Salty, would you consider a Hydra Pouch?  It should be light enough to carry and you should be able to refill it quickly if they are out of cups -- at least that's the theory

http://www.hydrapouch.com/

Hydrapouch

2012-06-08 10:05 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Tough TrainerRoad workout last night, thanks to Murphy's Law. Wed. the weather was perfect for biking outside but I got home to late. Thur. I get home in plenty of time to ride outside but it is pouring, so to the basement I went. My quads are NOT happy with me today, but in hindsight it really was a good interval workout.  That is kind of sick, isn't it?  We curse and hate and say never again through an activity while we are doing it, but when it is finished we look back on it and say, "Yeah, that was good.  I'd do that again!"  Kind of how I felt about running races for many years, LOL.

Hoping to get a short run in this evening on the way to the pool. Bike Sat (I hope) and Sun may hold a day of many activities! My friends and I try to do a 'quinto' every year: kayaking, biking, golfing, geocaching, and finish with a cold brew, and Sunday may be the day. Still need confirmation from one friend. Depending on when we start, I may try to squeeze a swim in beforehand.  Also, if the local minor league baseball team is in town, we discussed heading out for Thai, then to the ball game.  We can fulfill the beer requirement at the game!

What do the non-racing manatees have on tap for the weekend?

2012-06-08 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Another geocacher, cool. I may try to get some in this weekend as well. It has taken a backseat to tri but I try to get a few anytime we go to an agility trial which we are today. Actually thats why I started caching to fill the time at trials. Sounds like you have a full weekend!
2012-06-08 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
My 24YO son is a geocacher. He's taken me with him a couple times. I should get into it now that I have the iPhone. There are bunches on my running/biking routes.
2012-06-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4251616

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
melbo55 - 2012-06-08 9:43 AM
KansasMom - 2012-06-07 11:06 PM

Good for her for being there in the first place and being determined to come back and not give up after what had to be a very embarassing, stressful situation.  I do hope they find a solution to make her efforts easier.  It was an important decision for her to try to take her life back. 

Good for her for going back.  If I was manager of that club/gym, I'd make sure my staff was "all hands on deck" when she needed help.  Those places who go ABOVE and BEYOND get my respect.  The last thing she needs is the feeling that other people are being inconvenienced by helping her.

2012-06-08 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good luck TJ, Claire and Reece!

Have a great time and leave it all on the course (spoken by someone who never does and always regrets it!)

I've got riding tomorrow and then a garden tour of local homes with my stepmom, capped off with a lovely unoacked chardonnay that I brought her from the Finger Lakes. Sunday I'm meeting up with some women for a bike ride and lake swim. I've been REALLY bad about swimming and I have a 1/2 mile swim in 5 weeks (not to mention the OLY distance swim in august!!! so scared!!) that I do not feel ready for at all, so I need to get some lake time in.

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!!

2012-06-08 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4249414

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tripopo - 2012-06-07 9:39 AM

bcraht - 2012-06-07 12:47 AM Ok, Manatees, I'm going to need someone to tell me to settle the eff down.  I have been feeling a bit fatigued this week, didn't do anything yesterday, only my swim today, have been feeling tired too (sleepy I mean).  Possibly doing too much, possibly coming down with something.  Deciding to do the charity HM has been messing with my schedule, and feeling like I have not been getting in enough biking and worrying about the swim and feeling like I SUCK at pacing on the swim and the bike for a HIM distance and I'm 7 weeks out from my HIM...  I can't afford to miss sessions.  Hopefully this is just an anomalous week.  Going away this weekend and didn't really want to pack my bike along (just because it is a bit of a pain in the with the dog crates in the back of the car, hard to open the hatch with the bike carrier, blah blah), but I guess I will be or I will miss another long bike.  Ok, end freak out.

That is so totally normal! I took of like 2 weeks from cycling before my tri, and didn't exercise at all for a week.  I know it was only a sprint, but if you've been putting in the workouts you won't lose it that quickly and when you get back on track, it will feel so good to workout again! I too have been slacking this week, I've just had so much going on and was tired from a late night with friends on Saturday. I can't stay up until 2am anymore!! Then the Celtics games...up til 11:30 on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday - I need at least 8 hours of sleep!!

2012-06-08 1:16 PM

User image

Seattle

No racing for me this weekend. Just grinding out some training and trying to balance the other life stuff.

I think we are going to go to the women's soccer game tonight. Our pro team is lucky enough to have several Olympians on it so it would be cool to be able to see them play. Alright, I'll come clean, I really just want to see Hope Solo and Alex Morgan. Swoon. 

I'll be doing speedwork at the track tomorrow.

Sunday AM I am working a local 5K for PowerBar and then getting my 18-miler in. I have had a major itch to GASP.....SWIM! So I think I might jump in the lake after the long run. 

2012-06-08 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

I have a race this weekend - a local sprint.    It's actually, my very first ever sprint!  I've never done a race that short.  I'm trying to keep my normal training schedule for the weekend, then just throw the race in there on sunday.  It should be fun!

Good luck everyone else too!  And for those of you not racing: enjoy your weekend!!  Best weather wishes to everyone!!

2012-06-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4252124

User image

Seattle
TriRx - 2012-06-08 1:28 PM

I have a race this weekend - a local sprint.    It's actually, my very first ever sprint!  I've never done a race that short.  I'm trying to keep my normal training schedule for the weekend, then just throw the race in there on sunday.  It should be fun!

Good luck everyone else too!  And for those of you not racing: enjoy your weekend!!  Best weather wishes to everyone!!

Woooohoooo go Tracy! So you are working backwards eh? Good strategy, Laughing 

Have a great time!!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80