General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-04-24 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
Ok, back to training. Hoping this pulled hamstring heals soon. Picked up my tri bike from the shop today, it needed to be recabled. Took it out for a nice hour and half ride on the MUP. Have not ridden it since I crashed last August, it was a very weird and unstable feeling for about 15 minutes then it felt awesome and fast

2013-04-25 5:48 AM

User image

Regular
NYC

Good morning everyone. Hope you all have a great day of training today, er, yeah, and commuting, working, familily time and all that other life stuff...

Question for those that may have an opinion on this: I plan on renting race wheels. I am not a strong cyclist- thinking that 6:30 is my stretch goal, but 6:45 is more likely. Was thinking of renting 808s, but I was wondering if you think that 404s would be better for me since I climb like a turtle and the weight savings would be beneficial... Thanks for the advice.

Anyone plan on buying Flo race wheels today?

2013-04-25 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4714301

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
jmagnyc - 2013-04-25 6:48 AM

Good morning everyone. Hope you all have a great day of training today, er, yeah, and commuting, working, familily time and all that other life stuff...

Question for those that may have an opinion on this: I plan on renting race wheels. I am not a strong cyclist- thinking that 6:30 is my stretch goal, but 6:45 is more likely. Was thinking of renting 808s, but I was wondering if you think that 404s would be better for me since I climb like a turtle and the weight savings would be beneficial... Thanks for the advice.

Are you a big/little guy?  The 808's will move you around with some crosswind.  I have 88's (another brand) and I get moved and I'm over 200lbs.

What is this Flo race wheel thingy you're talking about?  Checking out their site it talks about pre orders...?

2013-04-25 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4714301

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
jmagnyc - 2013-04-25 6:48 AM

I'm riding my roadie. Mostly because the only other option is a mountain bike. I'm hopeful for somewhere in the 6 hour range. I thought about renting race wheels as well, and I guess I'm still considering it ... but most of me wants to just save that money and put it in the bike fund I've got going for a tri bike. That fund is only growing at a snail's pace as it is.

It's my first IM ... I'm not looking to KQ yet. This is mostly about the experience for me. The time savings just don't matter enough to warrant the cost for this particular race. I anticipate that will change in future IM endeavors. 

2013-04-25 8:10 AM

User image

New user
I have rented for an IM and a 1/2 IM in the past, worked well for me.  I bought a used wheelset over the winter though for this season.  Are there a lot of people running discs on race day or is it too windy there?
2013-04-25 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4713635

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
klassman - 2013-04-24 1:24 PM
Tracker09 - 2013-04-24 1:42 PM

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-04-24 11:44 AM Only that at the moment the race is wetsuit legal ;-)

Ha, true.   How often is this race wet suit legal on race day anyway?  I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe this colder spring will pay off that way bit there's still 3 months to go where it will probably be sweltering.

I believe, but stand by ready for correction, that in the 14 years of the race at Lake Placid 2011 was the only year the wetsuit/temperature rules came into play.  That year it was wetsuit optional.  Last year I wore a wetsuit and was comfortable -- the reported race day water temp was 73.

I think you're right, Klassman.  2011 was the first year that wearing a wetsuit removed your chance for a podium placing.  

I had a good chuckle at Mirror Lake currently being wetsuit legal.  Is it even fully thawed yet?

I'm in my second 17.5 hour week of this build cycle.  Recovery next week.

2013-04-25 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4714421

User image

Tracker09 - 2013-04-25 9:10 AM I have rented for an IM and a 1/2 IM in the past, worked well for me.  I bought a used wheelset over the winter though for this season.  Are there a lot of people running discs on race day or is it too windy there?

Because most of the time you are biking between the mountains a cross wind is not really an issue. Headwinds can occur and last year they definitely did but as far as getting pushed around the only time I would worry is on the decent to Keene.

2013-04-25 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
NYC

I am in the mid 180s now but plan to be high 170s come LP time. Renting wheels isn't that expensive, but I don't want to rent something that could actually slow me down. If the aero advantage of the 808s outweigh (Wink) the extra weight, of course the 808s would be the clear answer. I just don't know if, at my speeds, carrying the 808s up the hills will offset the aero advantage on the flats and down that little decent into Keene.

Flo is a startup aero wheel company. Really haven't seen anything bad written about them or their wheels.

2013-04-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4714554

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Just my .02, but while there are a handful of exceptions, on virtually every triathlon bike course in the world aero beats weight hands-down, and IMLP is no different. Go as deep as you can lay your hands on. If you have a disk, ride it. If you don't have access to race wheels, get a wheel cover for your rear. and I guess just to add another data point, for the past two years I have raced LP at 155lbs with an 808 front and a 1080 rear with zero issues - I don't remember ever thinking about them. If you are worried abut wind then you might want to go a little shallower in the front, but in my experience the deeper the rear the better in the wind - with a disk being preferred, to me it actually feels like it stabilizes the bike and will actually seem to accelerate into a crossing headwind.

For my purposes if I were to get a new set of wheels I would probably spring for a 404FC front and rear (they are purported to be every bit as fast as the older 808 front I have now) and I would run a wheel builder aerojacket on the rear for tris and TTs. With that setup the 404s would provide a versatile set of wheels that I could also road race on. Would probably switch from tubulars to clinchers as well.

2013-04-25 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4714601

User image

New user
TankBoy - 2013-04-25 10:59 AM Just my .02, but while there are a handful of exceptions, on virtually every triathlon bike course in the world aero beats weight hands-down, and IMLP is no different. Go as deep as you can lay your hands on. If you have a disk, ride it. If you don't have access to race wheels, get a wheel cover for your rear. and I guess just to add another data point, for the past two years I have raced LP at 155lbs with an 808 front and a 1080 rear with zero issues - I don't remember ever thinking about them. If you are worried abut wind then you might want to go a little shallower in the front, but in my experience the deeper the rear the better in the wind - with a disk being preferred, to me it actually feels like it stabilizes the bike and will actually seem to accelerate into a crossing headwind.

For my purposes if I were to get a new set of wheels I would probably spring for a 404FC front and rear (they are purported to be every bit as fast as the older 808 front I have now) and I would run a wheel builder aerojacket on the rear for tris and TTs. With that setup the 404s would provide a versatile set of wheels that I could also road race on. Would probably switch from tubulars to clinchers as well.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.  I hope my Christmas present to myself will pay off in the bike split.

2013-04-25 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4714662

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Tracker09 - 2013-04-25 11:20 AM
TankBoy - 2013-04-25 10:59 AM Just my .02, but while there are a handful of exceptions, on virtually every triathlon bike course in the world aero beats weight hands-down, and IMLP is no different. Go as deep as you can lay your hands on. If you have a disk, ride it. If you don't have access to race wheels, get a wheel cover for your rear. and I guess just to add another data point, for the past two years I have raced LP at 155lbs with an 808 front and a 1080 rear with zero issues - I don't remember ever thinking about them. If you are worried abut wind then you might want to go a little shallower in the front, but in my experience the deeper the rear the better in the wind - with a disk being preferred, to me it actually feels like it stabilizes the bike and will actually seem to accelerate into a crossing headwind.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.  I hope my Christmas present to myself will pay off in the bike split.

Nice - nothing like celebrating Christmas in July! what setup did you go with?

2013-04-25 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4714848

User image

New user
TankBoy - 2013-04-25 12:58 PM

I got a lightly used Reynolds Element Disc for the back and Reynolds Assault for the front.  I'm currently in the process of watching a bunch of YouTube videos on tubular gluing as this will be my first time off the clinchers.

2013-04-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4715258

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Tracker09 - 2013-04-25 4:47 PM
TankBoy - 2013-04-25 12:58 PM

I got a lightly used Reynolds Element Disc for the back and Reynolds Assault for the front.  I'm currently in the process of watching a bunch of YouTube videos on tubular gluing as this will be my first time off the clinchers.

that will be a great setup for you - you will love it! Let me know if you want any advice - I obsessed about gluing, flat kit, carrying a spare, etc. before my first IMLP and then actually suffered a crash-induced flat on the second loop. My seemingly irrational obsession actually paid off HUGE dividends.

2013-04-25 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4715318

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
TankBoy -

that will be a great setup for you - you will love it!

yeah, listen to Rusty! He is a beast and he knows about this stuff....

Fly like the wind.

2013-04-25 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4715479

Regular
Always been on clinchers myself, so forgive the dumb question; how do you change a tubular flat in a race?
2013-04-25 9:11 PM

User image

Regular
NYC

Thanks for the advice and input! I'll probably end up renting 808s. Excited to see how my bike will look with some expensive wheels I really couldn't afford to buy Smile

2013-04-26 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4713307

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-04-24 11:44 AM

Only that at the moment the race is wetsuit legal ;-)

Sure it is...at the moment there are still ice chunks floating around in the lake.
2013-04-26 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

Just a heads up for anyone that is heading to LP in May...expect delays.

http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x210922030/Route-73-to-be-torn-up

The bright side is that expect a VERY FAST DECENT!!!

2013-04-26 8:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
TankBoy - 2013-04-25 10:59 AM

Just my .02, but while there are a handful of exceptions, on virtually every triathlon bike course in the world aero beats weight hands-down, and IMLP is no different. Go as deep as you can lay your hands on. If you have a disk, ride it. If you don't have access to race wheels, get a wheel cover for your rear. and I guess just to add another data point, for the past two years I have raced LP at 155lbs with an 808 front and a 1080 rear with zero issues - I don't remember ever thinking about them. If you are worried abut wind then you might want to go a little shallower in the front, but in my experience the deeper the rear the better in the wind - with a disk being preferred, to me it actually feels like it stabilizes the bike and will actually seem to accelerate into a crossing headwind.

Do you have any basis for comparison (racing wheels versus no racing wheels). I understand the concept of needing to be aero, but it seems that every year this topic comes up. I would be curious if you, or others, have direct comparisons. I am a slow cyclist, but I have always wondered how much time I might be able to trim if I used race wheels. I always come back to the fact that if I want to be faster, I should lose weight and ride more...not get better toys. I always smile at LP, because even though I am slow(er), I always seem to pass someone riding a $5K bike with all the toys. I also seem to get passed from time to time by some riding a 20 year old bike that they bought for $75. Thoughts?
2013-04-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4715859

User image

Pro
cornick - 2013-04-26 9:06 AM

Just a heads up for anyone that is heading to LP in May...expect delays.

http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x210922030/Route-73-to-be-torn-up

The bright side is that expect a VERY FAST DECENT!!!

I thought it was quite pucker-factor last year the first time I went down. Nothing like that around Philly, that's for sure. The only problem is, what goes down, must go back up the other side!

Biking build phase now, panic setting in. Black Bear Half next month is two loops, five Cat 5 climbs on each loop.

2013-04-26 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
NYC

Happy Friday to everyone. Hope the weekend of Long Rides and Long Runs goes well.

Many training plans call for a 1/2 IM done somewhere in the last week of May or first couple weeks of June. Do you plan on racing hard, or for pacing yourself at IM distance pacing?

Are any of you planning on going up to Lake Placid to preview the swim/ride/run? What about training camp?

2013-04-27 5:18 AM
in reply to: #4716813

Regular
jmagnyc - 2013-04-26 7:00 PM

Happy Friday to everyone. Hope the weekend of Long Rides and Long Runs goes well.

Many training plans call for a 1/2 IM done somewhere in the last week of May or first couple weeks of June. Do you plan on racing hard, or for pacing yourself at IM distance pacing?

Are any of you planning on going up to Lake Placid to preview the swim/ride/run? What about training camp?

I am doing Quassy, and am using it to test two things:  nutrition and pacing.  It will be my first race with a power meter, particularly on some heavy hills, so I want to learn there.  Nutrition wise, I think I want to use a live off the course strategy, so I to try that out as well.  

I am going to ride the bike course, likely in mid to late June.  I live in Boston, so I will probably take a couple weekdays off to ride it and run some of the R course.  Not as concerned about previewing the swim course (not many hills or surprises there, at least that aren't swimming themselves).

I get the sense that previewing the course is especially helpful there, especially the Keene descent.

2013-04-27 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

I've got a set of Zipp 404's that I plan to use for the race.  Not many options available to me with 650 wheels on my baby bike, but I suppose a wheel cover is still an option.

I'm heading to LP on the Canadian long weekend in May, hopefully we will be able to get through the Keen descent.  I'd love to try out the new surfacing to see how it feels compared to last year.

2013-04-27 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I also just got a power meter  on my bike (picked it up yesterday from the shop).  I'm anxious to try it out, but the Syracuse 70.3 will give me a good idea of pacing during a race, with the PM.
2013-04-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4716813

User image

Pro
jmagnyc - 2013-04-26 7:00 PM

May 19 will be the Black Bear HIM. Hilly two loop course, 5 cat-5+ climbs per loop. I'm in it for the experience, not looking to go so hard I need 2 weeks to recover.

I want to go train at LP and tackle that descent again. Hopefully on freshly paved roads. I'm of mixed feelings about the training camps, seems like a lot of money to just go up there and train if you've been on the course before.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59