BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-02 6:11 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I think I'm finally awake from my turkey coma! HOORAY!! Anybody score any great black friday or cyber monday deals? I really didn't find much. I got the power2max a few months back so I got screwed on that one So I finally decided to get my obligatory MDot tattoo - ssshhh don't tell anyone :D I hope to find lots of race reports - headed there now! Happy DECEMBER!

How are you liking the Power2max?  How was it to get setup?  I really want a powermeter for Xmas but have been undecided on which route to go.  I got pretty excited on the Watteam Powerbeat until seeing they are sold out on their first production run and the next wouldn't be until the spring. 

The p2m is pretty good so far - of course it's only been on trainer road. Setup was instant (after self installation which was not instant). If you are used to installing Ultegra cranks you'll have no problem. The only cranks I install are mtb so it took a few tries and lots of googles (and the purchase of a new tool )

It paired instantly to my Garmin 800 and the trainer road ANT+. Before this I only used virutual power and the readings are within 20 watts so I'm assuming it's accurate.

And Steve get the kid a dog for xmas

Lisa - I would LOVE to get the family to do a ONE for ONE but my husband will never go for it (we mainly exchange with his family). oh and this pic is for you!

Mary - thanks for that article. I have now expanded my Internet speak - I can't even

Adrienne - do what makes you happy.

(IMG_20151201_183539489.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20151201_183539489.jpg (3473KB - 4 downloads)

2015-12-02 6:35 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I think I'm finally awake from my turkey coma! HOORAY!! Anybody score any great black friday or cyber monday deals? I really didn't find much. I got the power2max a few months back so I got screwed on that one So I finally decided to get my obligatory MDot tattoo - ssshhh don't tell anyone :D I hope to find lots of race reports - headed there now! Happy DECEMBER!

How are you liking the Power2max?  How was it to get setup?  I really want a powermeter for Xmas but have been undecided on which route to go.  I got pretty excited on the Watteam Powerbeat until seeing they are sold out on their first production run and the next wouldn't be until the spring. 

The p2m is pretty good so far - of course it's only been on trainer road. Setup was instant (after self installation which was not instant). If you are used to installing Ultegra cranks you'll have no problem. The only cranks I install are mtb so it took a few tries and lots of googles (and the purchase of a new tool ) It paired instantly to my Garmin 800 and the trainer road ANT+. Before this I only used virutual power and the readings are within 20 watts so I'm assuming it's accurate. And Steve get the kid a dog for xmas Lisa - I would LOVE to get the family to do a ONE for ONE but my husband will never go for it (we mainly exchange with his family). oh and this pic is for you! Mary - thanks for that article. I have now expanded my Internet speak - I can't even Adrienne - do what makes you happy.

Randee, a coyote and no mouse, I'm disappointed

2015-12-02 6:38 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Adrienne, I think that you have received a bunch of graet advice. Mine is very simple and to the point. Do what makes you happy. Go run in the mountains, on the roads, in a group and alone. Do it all, not to be the best in the world, but to be the best you.  There is a lot to be gained by rereading your treadmill advice and applying it to other things.  Use the tools you have to improve.

2015-12-02 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

I didn't score any deals.  Of course, I didn't even look  Mums the word on your MDot tat!!

No go for me as well. We were looking at an action camera and decided it wouldn't get used, so why bother? It was kind of a funny discussion. I think the money will go to a pair of running shoes. 

I had a GoPro a few years ago and never used it.  Seemed like a good idea but never really took off.  I ended up selling it cheap.

That is exactly what TW and I had discussed.

My life is too boring.  No one wants action pics of me taking out the trash!

2015-12-02 6:45 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by lisac957

Tattoo pics??? I love seeing other people's tattoos

Last year my family implemented a "give one, get one" gift philosophy for adults, which I am so grateful for. Only one gift to buy. Done. We decided the stress and financial impact of individually purchasing gifts for each person was not the direction we wanted our family to go, and we would much rather focus on spending time together - it was such a big hit last year that we're doing it again - woohooo!

All that to say I was not frantically shopping for deals - all though I did get on Amazon and ended up buying myself a cookware set for 66% off . I was planning on buying it in February but decided saving $225 was a pretty good reason to pull the trigger a few months early.

Does anyone have boys in their family who are pre-teen/teenagers? Any great gift ideas? We still do normal volume gifts for the kids in my family and there are only two - both boys and ages 11 and 14 - who are not giving any gift ideas whatsoever (bless them, they are trying to be humble and not greedy, I love that)! I've even asked their parents and they are stumped as well.

My friend has a huge family: 10 siblings, more than half of them are married with kids. Plus parents. For the last few years (or even more) they just do the lottery for adults - this way everyone buys one, and gets one. I don't remember what they did for the kids - I think everyone bought only for their kids, so there is no child with more/less gifts. My friends' parents are not the richest (hey, they had to rise 10 kids...) and they cook for 20+ people for holidays, so they are exempt from buying. They get sweets for children though. Mary

We do this in my family too - 6 siblings with spouses/significant others, plus lots of kids, plus my mom.  Before implementing the adult lottery, it was a very, very expensive time of year! And, as the kids age up and graduate from college they join the adult pool, so my Christmases have been getting less expensive by the year!

2015-12-02 6:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

The p2m is pretty good so far - of course it's only been on trainer road. Setup was instant (after self installation which was not instant). If you are used to installing Ultegra cranks you'll have no problem. The only cranks I install are mtb so it took a few tries and lots of googles (and the purchase of a new tool ) It paired instantly to my Garmin 800 and the trainer road ANT+. Before this I only used virutual power and the readings are within 20 watts so I'm assuming it's accurate. And Steve get the kid a dog for xmas Lisa - I would LOVE to get the family to do a ONE for ONE but my husband will never go for it (we mainly exchange with his family). oh and this pic is for you! Mary - thanks for that article. I have now expanded my Internet speak - I can't even Adrienne - do what makes you happy.

I love Disney world - but my heart is with the Looney Tunes :D

2015-12-02 6:51 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by lisac957

They have really specialized hobbies - one is a gymnast and the other is a drummer. But I would never be able to pick out anything either of them really needed for those things, ya know? They aren't gamers, and both are set with i-devices and electronics. Mom said they always like "clothes" but I have visions of them returning anything I buy (I did at their age!) and I did that last year, so maybe a gift card is in order...

I did price hoverboards but they are a bit over my budget

Combine the clothes and the hobbies. Funny t-shirts with gymnastics quotes or drummer stuff.  Or a specialized gift card, used on a Saturday trip to the drum or sporting goods store with you and maybe throw in lunch as well. It's a win-win, he gets a gift he really likes since he picked it out and you get time with him as well.

TW will tell you the best gift I ever got her was a shopping day with me as the sherpa/advisor. But it was a loooong day. 

2015-12-02 6:54 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marysia83

Kind of impersonal but it does beat an ugly tie.

Anything beats the ugly tie!

When I changed careers 16 years ago, my kids bought me ties for a number of years. I needed them, so it was good. As a bonus, I have a few that make TW cringe.  Which makes me laugh, so bring on the ugly tie!

2015-12-02 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed

In terms of the actual running on part, think of ways you can leverage the treadmill. What are the good things? The things that come to my mind are: consistent pacing, availability of water/food without having to carry it, not having to brave the elements, safety. So, given the things you come up with, build your treadmill session around those things. Maybe do a workout that requires you to maintain a consistent pace (like a tempo) or practice fueling/hydration options that you might not otherwise want to carry. Etc.

I actually prefer drills of some kind to break things up -- something like 3x 1/2 mile @ 5k pace or some such. For me, that makes the time go faster.  Like Karen, I cannot watch TV very well on the treadmill but I do listen to music.  When I am outside, I do not use headphones but inside, it's a must.

As far as pacing, I feel like on the TM, the machine is doing the pacing, not my brain.

2015-12-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Maybe the mouse comes after #2?

2015-12-02 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I Should I just suck it up and continue to relish in my opportunity to run with incredible athletes and stick with my current club? Or is the way it makes me feel, constantly inadequate and hardly deserving of time and resources, wrong? Is there a balance? Maybe this is just completely an adjustment I need to make on my own. But I'm just not sure.

What do you guys think?

Short answer, stay in touch with your current group but perhaps give new groups a try.  This does not seem to be an ideal fit for you at this time.

When I do group rides, I like to find a group that I can hang with.  By that I mean a group that I can do my pulls and it's a good workout.  No one passes me when I am pulling and when I am sitting on between pulls, I am still working (but not being dropped!).  Last year, I did a lot of group rides with CSH.  When I was recovered enough from my shoulder surgery to tackle group riding again, I found that the CSH group had been taken over by the CAT racers (why they are not doing there team ride and are taking over the shop ride, I have no idea).  I started to ride with another group but they don't push me enough.  So my choices were get dropped by CSH or don't get a good workout with MSing Links. I ended up riding alone most of the summer which was fine because I could leave really early and beat the heat a bit. I'm still looking for another group to ride with.  Anyway, I understand looking for a new group to train with and finding your ideal fit.

2015-12-02 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I can relate to working out with a group that is on a little different page.  You are much closer to the elites than I am so maybe it's a little easier for me to settle into my groups (or lack of) but I have found that I am a lone wolf and am happier as such.  There are a number of groups that train on the track at WWU where I do my track workouts during those few months of the year that I do that focus.  I know a lot of them personally but cannot bring myself to join them.  Same with running cross country or swimming at Masters or joining one of the weekly group rides.  Even the small group I was trail running with started to lose it luster.

The main reason is that running/swimming/biking is such a personal thing for me that is very deeply rooted to my soul.  Getting dropped on a ride or having the group wait for me at the crest of a hill on the trails transforms the experience into someone else's expectations for the outing not mine.  I have to listen to my own body on any given day.  Some are good days and some not so much.  I want to me able to roll with that and not get drawn into a pi$$ing contest every time out.

As a serious athlete, which again you are much more of that than I am, I can see the benefit of being pushed by better athletes.  Being pulled out of your comfort zone is good for development but I think keeping the overall perspective of who and what you are and why you do it is paramount.  Keep in mind you are mixing it up with the big boys/girls.  The cream of the crop.  To even share a track with these folks is pretty remarkable in my book.  You are hardly inadequate in the grand scheme of things but are measuring yourself at the very pointy end of the stick.  If I were you I'd probably find another group and see what that is like and then decide who you want to train with.  I hope you figure out what is the best fit for you. 

Well said!

2015-12-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by jmkizer

The Manatee's Evil Plan is working.  Kevin has referred to Zoe as Fluff Muffin.

Sure ge wasn't calling you? :D

Sorry, Janyne, but zzzzzzzing!

That's OK.  I weigh the same now as in IM training.  I'm wondering if Darren isn't projecting a bit?

2015-12-02 9:28 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

I Should I just suck it up and continue to relish in my opportunity to run with incredible athletes and stick with my current club? Or is the way it makes me feel, constantly inadequate and hardly deserving of time and resources, wrong? Is there a balance? Maybe this is just completely an adjustment I need to make on my own. But I'm just not sure.

What do you guys think?

Short answer, stay in touch with your current group but perhaps give new groups a try.  This does not seem to be an ideal fit for you at this time.

When I do group rides, I like to find a group that I can hang with.  By that I mean a group that I can do my pulls and it's a good workout.  No one passes me when I am pulling and when I am sitting on between pulls, I am still working (but not being dropped!).  Last year, I did a lot of group rides with CSH.  When I was recovered enough from my shoulder surgery to tackle group riding again, I found that the CSH group had been taken over by the CAT racers (why they are not doing there team ride and are taking over the shop ride, I have no idea).  I started to ride with another group but they don't push me enough.  So my choices were get dropped by CSH or don't get a good workout with MSing Links. I ended up riding alone most of the summer which was fine because I could leave really early and beat the heat a bit. I'm still looking for another group to ride with.  Anyway, I understand looking for a new group to train with and finding your ideal fit.

I agree with this.  I love my running group and one of the reasons is there are so many pace groups I can run with depending upon how I'm feeling.  When I'm serious about getting in run shape I have a group that pushes me and when I'm being lazy I have another to run with.  Lately, I've been running with the Let's Cut the Workout Short and go to SBUX group  The pace groups range from those who are sub 3 hr marathoners to those who walk more than run, so there is something for everyone.  

So, find a group that makes you happy now.

2015-12-02 9:41 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

In terms of the actual running on part, think of ways you can leverage the treadmill. What are the good things? The things that come to my mind are: consistent pacing, availability of water/food without having to carry it, not having to brave the elements, safety. So, given the things you come up with, build your treadmill session around those things. Maybe do a workout that requires you to maintain a consistent pace (like a tempo) or practice fueling/hydration options that you might not otherwise want to carry. Etc.

I actually prefer drills of some kind to break things up -- something like 3x 1/2 mile @ 5k pace or some such. For me, that makes the time go faster.  Like Karen, I cannot watch TV very well on the treadmill but I do listen to music.  When I am outside, I do not use headphones but inside, it's a must.

As far as pacing, I feel like on the TM, the machine is doing the pacing, not my brain.

I vary the pace and/or grade every few minutes, and do so within the scope of the run type. Easy runs will only change speed by a few tenths. It's small, but even bouncing back and forth that little bit can notably improve things even though it's really still not going to feel awesome.

2015-12-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

I vary the pace and/or grade every few minutes, and do so within the scope of the run type. Easy runs will only change speed by a few tenths. It's small, but even bouncing back and forth that little bit can notably improve things even though it's really still not going to feel awesome.

Yeah, grad it another great one. There are very few opportunities outdoors to run a steady 6% grade for 15 miles. I mean, if you are into that kind of thing

Treadmills can be great

2015-12-02 12:40 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks all, for the group/team input. Really good stuff to consider.

2015-12-02 2:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

The p2m is pretty good so far - of course it's only been on trainer road. Setup was instant (after self installation which was not instant). If you are used to installing Ultegra cranks you'll have no problem. The only cranks I install are mtb so it took a few tries and lots of googles (and the purchase of a new tool ) It paired instantly to my Garmin 800 and the trainer road ANT+. Before this I only used virutual power and the readings are within 20 watts so I'm assuming it's accurate.

Good to see you got it in ok. First time working with a crankset may take a bit, but has had a few "Oh now I see" type moments and it's been easy since.

Would be careful of thinking a PM is accurate based on a TR comparison as that could vary by 30 watts. You'll have some new reference points to get used to seeing, but the prior use of power will help quite a bit in getting used to it. I think 20 watts difference is quite a bit for you. Didn't say which direction though that sounds like a good thing as you're less likely to be attached to what TR was estimating. You'll see many guys post their disappointment in seeing FTP "drop" 20-30 watts after getting an actual PM.

2015-12-02 3:34 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

The p2m is pretty good so far - of course it's only been on trainer road. Setup was instant (after self installation which was not instant). If you are used to installing Ultegra cranks you'll have no problem. The only cranks I install are mtb so it took a few tries and lots of googles (and the purchase of a new tool ) It paired instantly to my Garmin 800 and the trainer road ANT+. Before this I only used virutual power and the readings are within 20 watts so I'm assuming it's accurate.

Good to see you got it in ok. First time working with a crankset may take a bit, but has had a few "Oh now I see" type moments and it's been easy since.

Would be careful of thinking a PM is accurate based on a TR comparison as that could vary by 30 watts. You'll have some new reference points to get used to seeing, but the prior use of power will help quite a bit in getting used to it. I think 20 watts difference is quite a bit for you. Didn't say which direction though that sounds like a good thing as you're less likely to be attached to what TR was estimating. You'll see many guys post their disappointment in seeing FTP "drop" 20-30 watts after getting an actual PM.

well I guess it doesn't really matter how "accurate" it is - as long as it's consistent!

ALSO FYI I've been emailing Weston at Dash. We went back and forth a bit and he suggested I get the strike 9 instead of the stage so he's doing a swap (even though my saddle is a year old)! See? NOT peeing on it paid off! LOL AND they're making another custom not one of their new stock models.

I tell you what - if nothing else - they are crazy awesome people!
2015-12-02 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Jumping in for quick question... anyone tried Brooks Pure Grit trail shoes? I think a pair may be on its way to my house. Catching up with you chatterboxes later.
2015-12-02 4:57 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Jumping in for quick question... anyone tried Brooks Pure Grit trail shoes? I think a pair may be on its way to my house. Catching up with you chatterboxes later.

That's what I've been using for my long trail runs. Love them

2015-12-02 5:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Jumping in for quick question... anyone tried Brooks Pure Grit trail shoes? I think a pair may be on its way to my house. Catching up with you chatterboxes later.

Woohoo! They look so much smaller and yet more aggressive...30 days back with LRS, so thought I'd try. Cascadia 10s felt good, but curious about something different.
2015-12-02 5:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

well I guess it doesn't really matter how "accurate" it is - as long as it's consistent! ALSO FYI I've been emailing Weston at Dash. We went back and forth a bit and he suggested I get the strike 9 instead of the stage so he's doing a swap (even though my saddle is a year old)! See? NOT peeing on it paid off! LOL AND they're making another custom not one of their new stock models. I tell you what - if nothing else - they are crazy awesome people!

Hahaha! Will have to remember that when selling off some of the saddles I have.

2015-12-02 5:14 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Woohoo! They look so much smaller and yet more aggressive...30 days back with LRS, so thought I'd try. Cascadia 10s felt good, but curious about something different.

I'll be in Phoenix tomorrow but, as usual, a whirlwind trip. In tomorrow evening and out Friday afternoon. I'm going to try for a run around Tempe Town Lake tomorrow evening after I land.

2015-12-02 5:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I'll be in Phoenix tomorrow but, as usual, a whirlwind trip. In tomorrow evening and out Friday afternoon. I'm going to try for a run around Tempe Town Lake tomorrow evening after I land.

I would say they are much less aggressive than the Cascadias. Just less shoe really and meant more as a more hybrid shoe, yet a little further on the trail side than the Cascadias. 

In addition to just being more shoe and traction, the Cascadia is also much more stiff. The Grit, like it's other Pure counterparts, tend to be very flexible (which I really love in a shoe

Finally, the Cascadia 9 and 10 seem to have a major defects and wear issues. Someone told me that and I discarded the comment then sure enough, I wore right though them. Brooks did replace my 9s with the 10 but I have heard the same thing about the 10 (although have yet to witness it, the shoes don't have many miles yet)

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-12-02 5:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54764 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67332 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28371 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11960 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66837 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.