BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-02-20 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
Re: ice baths. I love them in theory, but in practice...not so much. I just really hate being cold. And when I'm done being cold, I really, really want to be warm. My first stop after a long run on a cold night is the heater in my apartment -- sometimes I'll just stand there and bask in the heat for a very long time.

So what's everyone up to today? I admit my motivation's really been flagging. I had a four-day weekend that was half super productive and half totally lazy, which means I ended up taking two days off and now I'm behind on this week's training. Tonight the plan is an hour on the stationary bike and a 50-minute run, but with Project Runway and America's Next Top Model on TV, it's going to be hard to fit in everything. (What? There's nothing wrong with my priorities.)

What about you?

2008-02-20 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1224370

User image

Melon Presser

Fielding - 2008-02-20 3:52 PM Re: ice baths. I love them in theory, but in practice...not so much. I just really hate being cold. And when I'm done being cold, I really, really want to be warm.

Actually, just running cool-ish water over your legs (anything less than body temp) should do you fine. And there's a lot to be said for doing an ice bath, then a warm shower (I've never tried it, but a lot of people and research claim that works even better than an ice bath alone).

I do know if I take a warm shower only after a long effort (not just, you know, short daily stuff) recovery takes a LOT longer. It absolutely increases the inflammation in my legs. 

So what's everyone up to today? I admit my motivation's really been flagging. I had a four-day weekend that was half super productive and half totally lazy, which means I ended up taking two days off and now I'm behind on this week's training.

Yeah ... I've been b*tching about the same in my blog lately. Now I've got myself in a corner where I gotta bike 1.5 hours a day to get to my challenge goal ... I mean, not that that's the main thing, and I should do it anyway (and I WILL do it anyway), but blech.

I'm finishing up at my desk job--then will go walk some dogs. Spinning(R) class later in the day and and a short run.

2008-02-20 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1224370

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Fielding - 2008-02-20 1:52 PM So what's everyone up to today? I admit my motivation's really been flagging. I had a four-day weekend that was half super productive and half totally lazy, which means I ended up taking two days off and now I'm behind on this week's training. Tonight the plan is an hour on the stationary bike and a 50-minute run, but with Project Runway and America's Next Top Model on TV, it's going to be hard to fit in everything. (What? There's nothing wrong with my priorities.) What about you?

I just got back from swimming, and also went bike riding this morning--the neighbors watched my 2-year old so I could go biking, which was so awesome!  My oldest is at grandma's this week, so it gives me a little bit more flexibility.  People are more apt to babysit just one kid!  Now I have to work on my office and bedroom, which are completely out of control.  Bad.  The 'office' is just the youngest kid's bedroom which I am using as a multipurpose room since he's sleeping in the other room now.  So I share space with a train table, glider chair and ottoman, easel, and bins of toys!  I was thinking I'd get started painting my entry way but I don't think I will get there today.  Oh well....I have waited three years, what's another few days?? I can't wait for Project Runway tonight, as well!! Go Christian!  I know the finals aren't shown until next week or even later, wah.

2008-02-20 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
I have been reading a soaking in every word from all you *experts.* I'm finally at the point physically, but more importantly mentally, where I'm back to training consistently. I'm back to the pool tonight and have every intention of going every weeknight after work. I'm also planning on getting on the trainer at home in the evenings after supper. As to wralking...I'm scared to try. I'm afraid it's going to hurt again It's a mental challenge to overcome right now.
2008-02-20 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1224412

User image

Melon Presser

MrsUSMC - 2008-02-20 4:05 PM I have been reading a soaking in every word from all you *experts.* I'm finally at the point physically, but more importantly mentally, where I'm back to training consistently. I'm back to the pool tonight and have every intention of going every weeknight after work. I'm also planning on getting on the trainer at home in the evenings after supper. As to wralking...I'm scared to try. I'm afraid it's going to hurt again It's a mental challenge to overcome right now.

TERRI my love!!! Yes, the Manatee party is starting again--I'm back in da house, and Erin, Will, Leslie AND Terri have checked in today!

You know, I was feeling really blah until you all showed up. And Terri--it's so much harder to get going than stay going, so I deeply admire that you DID get going again. That's inspirational.

As for wralking ... you could just insert a few shuffle-steps every couple of minutes ... I did that after having a stress fracture and being very ill ... mostly walking, and then every couple of minutes, just for 5-10 steps, teeny little bit of running (more like a few fast pitter-patter walking steps, really).

You could also do some water running before slowly integrating it back into wralking.

2008-02-20 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1224412

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
MrsUSMC - 2008-02-20 2:05 PM

I have been reading a soaking in every word from all you *experts.* I'm finally at the point physically, but more importantly mentally, where I'm back to training consistently. I'm back to the pool tonight and have every intention of going every weeknight after work. I'm also planning on getting on the trainer at home in the evenings after supper. As to wralking...I'm scared to try. I'm afraid it's going to hurt again It's a mental challenge to overcome right now.

It's so great to see you, Terri! And I'm thrilled to see you easing back into things. It's just like Yanti said -- so much harder to get started than to keep going. I'm so happy for you that you've made the first steps toward coming back.

I hear you on the pain and fears. When I injured my knee last March, I was scared to death to start walking/running again. For several weeks I just spun on a stationary bike, with zero resistence, until I felt a little stronger, and then I got on the treadmill and walked at a pretty slow speed (like, strolling through the park speed) for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Once that felt OK, I experimented with a little bit of fast walking/running -- by "little bit" I mean just a few seconds if it felt bad, and no longer than a minute at a time. I think the key is to really, really pay attention to your body, and if it feels wrong, slow down or stop.

2008-02-20 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1222121

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-19 6:04 PM

ShawnC13 - 2008-02-19 5:35 PM After long runs my group usually soaks in the ocean up over our waist for 10 min then out for 10 and back in for 10. Let me tell you the Pacific is quite cold up here!!! I was the only one to have actually gone all the way under and swim for a bit.

That actually sounds good, post-run! Do you notice less muscle fatigue when you do that? I have Puget Sound here, but can't say I've intentionally gone in. I do live by a lake, though, and stuck my arm in on Sunday--it was awfully cold! If I do the local tri on May 31, I will be swimming in that lake (possibly with wetsuit, but it's only 400m so not even sure about that). Still debating it. I tend to have a hard time committing to races, sometimes. Not actually doing them, just signing up. I am sort of a fair-weather athlete so I like to know what my odds of decent weather are before I send in my money!! Lame? Perhaps. I did a tri in a horrible rain squall last year, it was awful!! (Yet, I still had fun.)

Oh yeah after the dip I feel great. It is great for post run recovery I was skeptical about it but man does it work. When you get 14 people on a rainy October day standing in the Pacific Ocean and people ask you what you are doing the only logical answer was "Waiting for the Mother Ship to pick us up" We had others like look for a cell phone can you call this number. It was actually a great time.
2008-02-20 9:26 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi everyone!

Terri - so good to *see* you!  glad to hear you are ready to get back into training

Leslie - enjoy your time of extra flexibility! 

Erin - awesome job on your OWS!

Renee - keep up the great work - you are one dedicated lady!

Will - hope baseball is going well for your kids - enjoy

Shawn - I like the idea of a swim after a run 

Yanti - thank you for the index and the great advice!

2008-02-20 9:28 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

ok - so I've made it to the gym 3 nights in a row - yaaay me!  LOL

I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the spin instructors so far

from my blog

Spinning class was ok - I have to say that so far, I'm not overly impressed with the instructors.  The gal tonight was acutally telling people to 'bounce it out' - I'm not 100% sure, but that doesn't seem like something good.  She also did some really crazy jump intervals - I just did my own thing - let them think I'm just old and can't do it - lol!

Yanti - thoughts?

2008-02-20 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Thanks all. Isn't it funny how just going is harder than doing once you're there?

What do you do about a lane hog? There are 3 lanes in my pool. I had the middle all to myself for about 15 minutes. To my left was a man walking about halfway down and back, to my right was a man *crawling* back and forth. I was swimming...alternating freestyle, backstroke, and with a pull buoy.

This woman hops in my lane and proceeds to don snorkel, and these huge pool shoes. Then she start walking! She was bent over at the waist with her face in the water and walking. Really weird, and she was taking up more than her half of the lane. Plus she hit me a couple of times when I was going by her. I ended up getting ticked and leaving because I couldn't concentrate and was stuggling.

I couldn't figure out why she didn't just get in the lane with the other guy that was walking. When I went back into the locker room there was a woman there getting ready to go out and asked me how the pool was. I told her it was great except for the lane hog.
2008-02-20 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1225090

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

MrsUSMC - 2008-02-20 9:38 PM Thanks all. Isn't it funny how just going is harder than doing once you're there? What do you do about a lane hog? There are 3 lanes in my pool. I had the middle all to myself for about 15 minutes. To my left was a man walking about halfway down and back, to my right was a man *crawling* back and forth. I was swimming...alternating freestyle, backstroke, and with a pull buoy. This woman hops in my lane and proceeds to don snorkel, and these huge pool shoes. Then she start walking! She was bent over at the waist with her face in the water and walking. Really weird, and she was taking up more than her half of the lane. Plus she hit me a couple of times when I was going by her. I ended up getting ticked and leaving because I couldn't concentrate and was stuggling. I couldn't figure out why she didn't just get in the lane with the other guy that was walking. When I went back into the locker room there was a woman there getting ready to go out and asked me how the pool was. I told her it was great except for the lane hog.

wow, that sucks!  that's a good question - I have to honestly say I haven't run into that before

2008-02-20 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

MrsUSMC - 2008-02-20 7:38 PM Thanks all. Isn't it funny how just going is harder than doing once you're there? What do you do about a lane hog? There are 3 lanes in my pool. I had the middle all to myself for about 15 minutes. To my left was a man walking about halfway down and back, to my right was a man *crawling* back and forth. I was swimming...alternating freestyle, backstroke, and with a pull buoy. This woman hops in my lane and proceeds to don snorkel, and these huge pool shoes. Then she start walking! She was bent over at the waist with her face in the water and walking. Really weird, and she was taking up more than her half of the lane. Plus she hit me a couple of times when I was going by her. I ended up getting ticked and leaving because I couldn't concentrate and was stuggling. I couldn't figure out why she didn't just get in the lane with the other guy that was walking. When I went back into the locker room there was a woman there getting ready to go out and asked me how the pool was. I told her it was great except for the lane hog.

I had a similar incident today, I wrote a little bit about it in my blog.  A woman hopped into my lane and walked and floated and all sort of stuff that wasn't swimming--no goggles or cap on her--and two lanes over there was the old guy who is always in the lane going super slow for hours, where she could have been fine with her messing around.  I bumped into her once when she was backfloating and sucked in a bunch of water because I was so surprised that she was there!  I just did a lot of extra kicking when I passed her, and soon she found an empty lane.  I didn't want to be a beyatch, but maybe just a little, as I had a set workout that I was doing and didn't want the distraction!

I need to mention that I wear a skull and crossbones cap to look fierce so people don't bug me.  Guess it doesn't work!!!

Hope you guys could all see the eclipse tonight!

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2008-02-20 10:15 PM
2008-02-20 11:09 PM
in reply to: #1225185

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-20 8:12 PM

I need to mention that I wear a skull and crossbones cap to look fierce so people don't bug me. Guess it doesn't work!!!

Hope you guys could all see the eclipse tonight!

Umm with that smile how can you be fierce?
2008-02-21 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Hey All, I'm feeling like I have a little more time this week, getting some training in definately feels good!   I've been skipping swims due to my arm, now it feels good and the pool is closed - dang!  Hope it is back open soon . . . and CLEAN!

Yanti - Thanks for the wetsuit info & the race info earlier.  I'm still trying to figure out a race - it is between the one out there on Apr 20 and one in TX on Apr 13 . . . would LOVE to do the Apr 20, if the date works . . . I'll let you know!

Will - AWESOME job on the run yesterday!!

Leslie - Good to see you are started on your OLY plan and that you are "digging it"!

Terri - It's great to see you jumping back into the training!!

Erin - Curious to see how your night turned out, LOL!  I don't even turn my TV on, cuz I get sucked in to ALL of the reality shows WAY too easily!!   

Shawn - You somehow make that post-run dip sound fun!  I'm sure it WAS a sight!  I actually think I could enjoy that . . .

Beth - Glad you made it to spin!  Get this . . . it turns out I have met the AM spin instructor before - dang I thought she looked familiar!  I went to gradeschool with her little sister, LOL!  They look SOOOO alike, I can't believe I just figured it out!  Guess I'm just not quite awake at 5:45am!  You sound busy at your new job, hopefully things settle down a lot in time! 

Since I know Erin is going to ask . . . I went to spin this AM and have a 45 min run planned for the PM.  Glad you do ask Erin, I love seeing what everyone is up to!

Better get back to work . . .

Happy Training All!!

Renee

2008-02-21 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1226392

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Guys, I had a major, major first in training today: I GOT UP EARLY AND RAN BEFORE WORK. And OK, it was only 8 a.m., and this is totally nothing compared to you guys (I'm looking at you, Renee) who get up at god-awful early for training every single day, but it's a big deal for me! I wish I could say I enjoyed it more, but I felt really sluggish and slow and had to fight my way through the whole run. Still! I did it!

Next up: an hour on the bike and an hour in the pool after work. I am seriously paying for taking two days off this week. Ugh.

rreischl - 2008-02-21 11:17 AM

Since I know Erin is going to ask . . . I went to spin this AM and have a 45 min run planned for the PM.

Happy Training All!!

Renee

Yay! I love that someone beat me to it!

Oh, and to answer your other question, Renee: My night turned out great. I biked for an hour and managed to watch Project Runway *and* America's Next Top Model (thank God those shows only overlap for a couple weeks, or I'd be watching way too much TV), and they were both AWESOME. Of course, I missed my run, which was why I was out this morning.

Edited by Fielding 2008-02-21 1:34 PM
2008-02-21 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
MrsUSMC - 2008-02-20 7:38 PM

What do you do about a lane hog? There are 3 lanes in my pool. I had the middle all to myself for about 15 minutes. To my left was a man walking about halfway down and back, to my right was a man *crawling* back and forth. I was swimming...alternating freestyle, backstroke, and with a pull buoy.

This woman hops in my lane and proceeds to don snorkel, and these huge pool shoes. Then she start walking! She was bent over at the waist with her face in the water and walking. Really weird, and she was taking up more than her half of the lane. Plus she hit me a couple of times when I was going by her. I ended up getting ticked and leaving because I couldn't concentrate and was stuggling.

I couldn't figure out why she didn't just get in the lane with the other guy that was walking. When I went back into the locker room there was a woman there getting ready to go out and asked me how the pool was. I told her it was great except for the lane hog.

I *hate* people like that. I ran into a guy last week who insisted on circle swimming when it was just the two of us sharing a lane (and there were at least two other open lanes that he could've had all to himself anyway). At first I thought he was just really bad and couldn't swim in a straight line, because I couldn't believe he was trying to force me to circle, especially since I'd been there first. For a while I refused to give in, and since I was just doing drills I would wait for him and insist on keeping my own side of the lane. But finally I caved.

Anyway, he doesn't quite count as a lane hog. When I run into those people, I do one of two things (and sometimes both): like Leslie, I make as much splash as possible whenever I pass the hog; or I just consider it good training for a race. I figure I'll get bounced around a lot by folks there, so I might as well get used to it, right?

2008-02-21 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
I tried to give her a break using the "race day practice" mentality, but she just threw me off so much that I couldn't concentrate and started really struggling.

As to getting up early for training, I've been thinking about doing that myself. I used to get up at 5 to run, then I hurt my foot and the weather turned cold, plus it was so dark out. DH gets up and swims on Tues and Thurs at 4:30. I went with him last week when I had a day off and it was great doing it and getting it out of the way for the day. I felt great about it all day, too. So, I've been thinking of attempting it Tues - Fri next week (Monday the pool is really crowded that early).

No training for me tonight. It's DH's birthday and I'm taking him out.
2008-02-21 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1226424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Fielding - 2008-02-21 1:32 PM Guys, I had a major, major first in training today: I GOT UP EARLY AND RAN BEFORE WORK. And OK, it was only 8 a.m., and this is totally nothing compared to you guys (I'm looking at you, Renee) who get up at god-awful early for training every single day, but it's a big deal for me! I wish I could say I enjoyed it more, but I felt really sluggish and slow and had to fight my way through the whole run. Still! I did it! Next up: an hour on the bike and an hour in the pool after work. I am seriously paying for taking two days off this week. Ugh.

Since I know Erin is going to ask . . . I went to spin this AM and have a 45 min run planned for the PM.

Happy Training All!!

Renee

Yay! I love that someone beat me to it! Oh, and to answer your other question, Renee: My night turned out great. I biked for an hour and managed to watch Project Runway *and* America's Next Top Model (thank God those shows only overlap for a couple weeks, or I'd be watching way too much TV), and they were both AWESOME. Of course, I missed my run, which was why I was out this morning.

YAY Erin!!  I'm very proud of you   GREAT JOB getting everything in, even the shows, LOL!

Since you were giving me that look, I figured I'd explain . . .  I have ALWAYS been the person who could barely get up on time for class / work, even when I worked at 9!  I always wanted to get up early to workout, but couldn't ever seem to do it . . . on family vacations I was almost always the last one in my family to wake up (think extended family vaca, 30+ people)  They all have given me sooo much crap over the years, LOL!  Last year I finally made the switch.  I got in a routine right at the beginning of 2007 and it stuck - suddenly it wasn't so hard hmm!  Adjusting your bedtime helps, though I've fallen out of going earlier.  After doing this for a year, I feel like crap on the days I miss.  All day long I feel MUCH better if I get that workout in.  Can't say I felt that way on day 1, but it really didn't take as long as one may think to start enjoying it, YES I did say ENJOYING it   You never know, a few days in a row and you may just be hooked.  Give it a try, I DARE ya :P

SEEE - listen to Terri

Go for it Terri, you KNOW you'll love it once you get back into the routine!  HAPPY BDAY to your DH!  Have a great time tonight! 

Renee

2008-02-21 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1226511

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Hey, look at that, I'm a Veteran!  YAY!!
2008-02-21 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1226511

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
rreischl - 2008-02-21 12:09 PM

You never know, a few days in a row and you may just be hooked. Give it a try, I DARE ya :P

Ha! I could never turn down a dare! OK, I will try it again tomorrow morning, and I'll probably have to next week because I have a lot of after-work activities planned. But not my weekends! I will not give up my weekend sleeping!
2008-02-21 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1226525

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE
Fielding - 2008-02-21 2:17 PM

You never know, a few days in a row and you may just be hooked. Give it a try, I DARE ya :P

Ha! I could never turn down a dare!  OK, I will try it again tomorrow morning, and I'll probably have to next week because I have a lot of after-work activities planned. But not my weekends! I will not give up my weekend sleeping!

I had a feeling you wouldn't be able to turn down a dare LOL!  Perfect timing it seems   I don't blame ya on the weekends!  I sleep in on the weekends too, until 7:30 anyhow . . . can't believe *I* am saying that . . . that is sooo not me!  Weekends used to be past noon haha 

Hope you end up liking it - it does provide some extra flexibility, plus I just feel soooo DANG good all day!

Good Luck!

Ok, seriously better get some work done, yikes!

2008-02-21 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1226424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Fielding - 2008-02-21 11:32 AM

Guys, I had a major, major first in training today: I GOT UP EARLY AND RAN BEFORE WORK. And OK, it was only 8 a.m., and this is totally nothing compared to you guys (I'm looking at you, Renee) who get up at god-awful early for training every single day, but it's a big deal for me! I wish I could say I enjoyed it more, but I felt really sluggish and slow and had to fight my way through the whole run. Still! I did it!

Next up: an hour on the bike and an hour in the pool after work. I am seriously paying for taking two days off this week. Ugh.

Happy Training All!!

Renee

Yay! I love that someone beat me to it!

Oh, and to answer your other question, Renee: My night turned out great. I biked for an hour and managed to watch Project Runway *and* America's Next Top Model (thank God those shows only overlap for a couple weeks, or I'd be watching way too much TV), and they were both AWESOME. Of course, I missed my run, which was why I was out this morning.

i envy that you get to train before work-my alarm goes off at 4:15 every morning to start work at 6:00am. but those late afternoon are packed with family type stuff so i train during lunch as much as possible. great work by the way.
2008-02-21 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1225068

User image

Melon Presser
lastcall2003 - 2008-02-20 9:28 PM

ok - so I've made it to the gym 3 nights in a row - yaaay me!  LOL

I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the spin instructors so far

from my blog

Spinning class was ok - I have to say that so far, I'm not overly impressed with the instructors.  The gal tonight was acutally telling people to 'bounce it out' - I'm not 100% sure, but that doesn't seem like something good.  She also did some really crazy jump intervals - I just did my own thing - let them think I'm just old and can't do it - lol!

Yanti - thoughts?

She's high.

I have a laundry list of why, but let's go with the bouncing first--that's the #1 indication that your cadence is way too high. It means the momentum from the flywheel is being transferred into your lower back. And if you're bouncing on purpose--can you imagine force of flywheel + force of body pounding on all your joints?

I wrote a little about jumps on p. 23 in the Spinning(R) Class Tips, but basically--if you wouldn't do it on a road bike, don't do it on an indoor bike. Crazy jumps = poor form. And poor form is murder on your poor body.

That is all. I love ranting.

2008-02-21 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1226525

User image

Melon Presser
Fielding - 2008-02-21 2:17 PM

Ha! I could never turn down a dare! OK, I will try it again tomorrow morning, and I'll probably have to next week because I have a lot of after-work activities planned. But not my weekends! I will not give up my weekend sleeping!

Erin, you and I totally need to do a one-on-one, Mentor v. Mentee Challenge, on getting in workouts early in the day. Something like loser has to donate a buck or two for each day LESS (or less than pledged) than the other to charity of other's choice.

2008-02-21 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1227213

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-02-21 6:01 PM

Erin, you and I totally need to do a one-on-one, Mentor v. Mentee Challenge, on getting in workouts early in the day. Something like loser has to donate a buck or two for each day LESS (or less than pledged) than the other to charity of other's choice.

Yanti, you are so on.

Start right away? Or should we do it in March and we can each pledge a certain number of "early" workouts for the month? Hehe, our definition of early will probably make the others laugh and point at us. As far as I'm concerned, anything before noon is early (and no, 4 a.m. workouts before we've gone to bed totally don't count). What do you think?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61