2009-02-20 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1973480

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
SSMinnow - 2009-02-20 2:48 PM

Barry

How is the calf? did it bug you on the ride?

Suzy

No the calf does not bother me at all after or during biking or swimming and really only starts to bother me after a couple of miles.  I am going to TRY to do a long run in the morning, so maybe it will be good for most of the way.

2009-02-20 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Elite
san francisco

Tracy- so sorry for your loss- 

Barry--don't over do it on that calf!  Good though that it didn't hurt the day after.

Today I was sitting here at work and looking at my planned workouts for the first week of my 20 wk HIM training plan (BT plan) and I kind of had a freak out moment.  The first week is 11 hours of training.  I have been doing maybe 5-7/ week at the most!  Is it going to be too much of a jump?  I don't know what I have been thinking just ignoring my cycling!!! 

I know it's only the end of February, but YIKES!!!  I normally don't freak out over things like this but I have so little experience when it comes to these longer endurance events.  I can't even remember how many hours/week I was doing for my olympic last year, but that maybe felt it was not enough on race day! 

So...what do you guys think, should I try to ease into it during the first few weeks...or go full bore... I guess I can always ease up a little if need be...

just talking out loud to myself as I freak out....

2009-02-20 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Kim

Which HIM plan are you going to use, and when is your HIM.  I looked at your logs, and by adding your cycling into your week, you will be close to your training times.  Looks like you have between 0 and an hour or so on the bike.  By throwing in a couple hours during the week and a long ride on the weekend or whenever...you have 5 hrs added to your totals.  The bike should not be that strenuous for you, just logging the time and miles.  I think you can do it!

I'll be interested to follow your progress, as I will be starting my HIM training around May.  I have been following Gordo's mentor group also, and he suggests getting MOST of your training time in on the bike, as the bike can build your endurance up to the total time of the event without much chance of causing injury.  Keep in mind that we will have to build our endurance to approx 6 hrs, so he believes the bike is the place to do it. 

P.S. No more freaking out!

2009-02-20 6:16 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Barry--my HIM is on July 19...I think you are 100% correct about the cycling.  zero to one hour is um...pathetic...it's not an aquathon....  Positive vibes from now on!!! Cycling has got to be a major priority, but that is great info about building endurance on the bike...it's fun once I get out there, that's for sure.  The plan is not the Beginner plan but the one for those who've done a few sprints and oly's...you can look on my log.  Which one are you going to do?

Thanks for the positive vibes

2009-02-20 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1973866

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
kt65 - 2009-02-20 6:16 PM

Barry--my HIM is on July 19...I think you are 100% correct about the cycling.  zero to one hour is um...pathetic...it's not an aquathon....  Positive vibes from now on!!! Cycling has got to be a major priority, but that is great info about building endurance on the bike...it's fun once I get out there, that's for sure.  The plan is not the Beginner plan but the one for those who've done a few sprints and oly's...you can look on my log.  Which one are you going to do?

My HIM is in September.  It will be in Augusta and I think that it will be fairly easy as far as HIM goes.  I think I am going to do the beginner plan and if I WANT to add anything to it I can.  Hopefully I will be able to learn from the experiences of others.

2009-02-20 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1973904

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2009-02-20 6:43 PM
kt65 - 2009-02-20 6:16 PM

My HIM is in September.  It will be in Augusta and I think that it will be fairly easy as far as HIM goes.  I think I am going to do the beginner plan and if I WANT to add anything to it I can.  Hopefully I will be able to learn from the experiences of others.

Barry

I am really happy to see you don't have to start your HIM plan until May.  Mine is in September too so that means I can finish the marathon and then gear up for the HIM. Big relief.  I haven't even looked at those plans yet.

Kim

Do you feel like you already have strength in the run?  If so, could you ease back on it a little while you ramp up on the bike?  maybe focus on bike endurance with some short bricks to get the transition down?  I am certainly not in a position to give HIM advice, but I do hear your concern about going from 5-7 to 10 hours.  I am sure you will be fine so take a deep breathe and dive in!

Suzy 

2009-02-21 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

It is nice when you finally see all the training we do paying off!  I just got back from my group ride which I really haven't been on in a while.  Actually this is the first weekend ride that we have done due to the weather.  There were 9 of us, and I felt like I was in the best form of my life.  I guess when you are training alone, you don't get the feedback like you do when riding with people you are familiar with.  Anyway, we rode 43 miles, and much of it was as race efforts.  A couple of us would pull away from the group for a while and then slow or backtrack  to regroup.  Normally when I get finished with this route, I am FINISHED, but today, I had legs left.  

WOOPS!  Double tap

Edited by Plainsman AU 2009-02-21 4:16 PM
2009-02-21 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

It is nice when you finally see all the training we do paying off!  I just got back from my group ride which I really haven't been on in a while.  Actually this is the first weekend ride that we have done due to the weather.  There were 9 of us, and I felt like I was in the best form of my life.  I guess when you are training alone, you don't get the feedback like you do when riding with people you are familiar with.  Anyway, we rode 43 miles, and much of it was as race efforts.  A couple of us would pull away from the group for a while and then slow or backtrack  to regroup.  Normally when I get finished with this route, I am FINISHED, but today, I had legs left. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  I am assuming so since the board is so quiet. 

Edited by Plainsman AU 2009-02-21 4:15 PM
2009-02-21 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Reading all your posts is making me feel like such a wimpSmile.  You guys are at so much of a higher level than me, but I'll get there eventually! 

I ended up taking it pretty easy this week due to my foot, but the bone scan Wednesday came out negative so the doc thinks it's just a case of "turf toe".  Basically my big toe joint is inflamed.  He gave me a Rx for Naprosen and gave me the option of a cortisone shot.  I decided not to do that just yet - I want to see if it will get better on its own.  I had been trying to up my speed a little on my runs and I think that may have contributed to the problem.  I'm allowed to run again, but short easy runs for now and if there's any pain I have to stop.  So starting tomorrow I plan to get back on my schedule - I'll just have to adjust the runs somewhat.  I should still be able to do my half marathon in April though so that's a good thing. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Janet

2009-02-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1975118

User image

Champion
soccermom15 - 2009-02-21 7:39 PM

Reading all your posts is making me feel like such a wimpSmile.  You guys are at so much of a higher level than me, but I'll get there eventually! 

I ended up taking it pretty easy this week due to my foot, but the bone scan Wednesday came out negative so the doc thinks it's just a case of "turf toe".  Basically my big toe joint is inflamed.  He gave me a Rx for Naprosen and gave me the option of a cortisone shot.  I decided not to do that just yet - I want to see if it will get better on its own.  I had been trying to up my speed a little on my runs and I think that may have contributed to the problem.  I'm allowed to run again, but short easy runs for now and if there's any pain I have to stop.  So starting tomorrow I plan to get back on my schedule - I'll just have to adjust the runs somewhat.  I should still be able to do my half marathon in April though so that's a good thing. 

Janet

Really glad to hear you do not have a stress fracture.  For what it is worth, I had a cortisone shot for PF and thought it was kind of worthless.  It takes away the pain for a while, but doesn't do a thing for healing.

Don't feel like you are behind, feel like you are a WIP.  I stopped comparing myself to everyone regarding swimming because I just don't stack up on the forums or in the pool.  Sometimes it is difficult, but I just try to keep a positive attitude (like you have).  Things will come for us!

Suzy

2009-02-21 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1975215

User image

Expert
B'ham
SSMinnow - 2009-02-21 6:39 PM
soccermom15 - 2009-02-21 7:39 PM

Janet

Really glad to hear you do not have a stress fracture.  For what it is worth, I had a cortisone shot for PF and thought it was kind of worthless.  It takes away the pain for a while, but doesn't do a thing for healing.

Don't feel like you are behind, feel like you are a WIP.  I stopped comparing myself to everyone regarding swimming because I just don't stack up on the forums or in the pool.  Sometimes it is difficult, but I just try to keep a positive attitude (like you have).  Things will come for us!

Suzy

The cool thing about triathlons and triathletes is that for the most part it isn't competitive in a you vs. me way, but more in a me vs. myself kind of way.  Sure their are a few ultra-competitive types, but there are way more stay and cheer on the last finisher types.  Just do your thing to improve yourself and that's all that really matters.

2009-02-22 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Janet. Gotta agree with Suzy and Matt. Just go out and do your thing and ENJOY IT but do get out and do it.
2009-02-22 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

How's everyone doing this fine Sunday?

I wish you all the best luck in your running, swimming and cycling today!

2009-02-22 1:03 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Well we made it back home... So sad to be back!  I have lost you guys... 4 pages of forum!  Everything looks awesome!  Workouts, post, attitudes, and info are fantastic!  Well over 200 pictures to go through and a S**Tload of laundry, house a mess, etc... Making this pretty quick!  We had a really good time!  REALLY GOOD!  Crowds, Riders, Venues--- ALL SO MUCH FUN!  With out VIP tickets our viewing was top notch!  The 2 things I was dissapointed with was the weather the 1st 3 days, and the amount of riding we did!  I was really hoping to get a few hundred miles in this week !  But a blast.  Gotta run, here is a few pictures! 

(Finish.jpg)

(Floyd Landis.jpg)

(Levi.jpg)

(Lance Armstrong.jpg)

(Svein Tuft- Canadian Time Trial Champion.jpg)

(Tyler Hamilton.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Finish.jpg (91KB - 9 downloads)
Floyd Landis.jpg (84KB - 10 downloads)
Levi.jpg (91KB - 8 downloads)
Lance Armstrong.jpg (99KB - 7 downloads)
Svein Tuft- Canadian Time Trial Champion.jpg (84KB - 7 downloads)
Tyler Hamilton.jpg (88KB - 11 downloads)
2009-02-22 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Welocme back Steve..Floyd Landis? Thats the best you got for us? You better get those others downloaded so you can redeem yourself!! I didn't know he was racing, thought he was suspended but honestly I dont follow racing that closely.
2009-02-22 1:11 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

wow crazy timing. I logged in as you only had the finish line with you and your bride, and floyd. Now it looks like all is forgiven.

I'm off for a 10k run. Going do do at least 5k on my own, them run the rest with wife and brother in law.

2009-02-22 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
Trevor.... I purposely added the Canadian Time Trail Champ you Crazy Canadians!
2009-02-22 4:49 PM

User image

Champion

Hey All

I attended the Infinit webinar today.  Gordo was one of the speakers and has offered to do a first timers IM prep seminar for those who might be considering one in the future.  The note below is from him. If interested, put it on your calendars and send questions ahead of time.  Forward to friends too.  I will definitely be part of it!

Excellent -- we'll do it. Send me a list of questions for yourself and any pals -- email them on [email protected]

We do the webinars at Noon, Denver Time, you'll get an invite from me by March 15th. We'll slot in March 16th, Noon for the 1st Timers Webinar. 

Suzy

2009-02-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1975946

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Awesome pic's Steve, so which one of the guys wearing aero helmets and speedo's were you?

Happy Monday everyone.  I feel awful.  Not sure since the weather has been getting warmer here and there and it's allregies or I just have a cold.

I am such a whimp...

EDIT: I was rooting for Landis, wish he would have had a better showing.

Edited by dalessit 2009-02-23 8:25 AM
2009-02-23 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
So Tony/All you guys would probably know better, but did Landis get a raw deal? Impression that I have up here is that he is a cheater...Did he cleared or whats the real story?
2009-02-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1976818

User image

Champion

TrevorC - 2009-02-23 9:40 AM So Tony/All you guys would probably know better, but did Landis get a raw deal? Impression that I have up here is that he is a cheater...Did he cleared or whats the real story?

Here is good info on him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Landis

The lab that was used has been found to keep very shoddy records and controls.  He just seemed to me to be fighting really hard and used up a ton of money to fight the case where a lot of cyclists just admit to it and you never hear from them again.  Maybe I am gullable but I tend to believe him, he fought it, lost then came back on a real team after his 2 year ban and just got back to work.

Unfortuntaely it is tough to tell in this day and age who is clean and who isn't.

2009-02-23 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Its tough isn't it? You want to believe these guys....especially all the Tour DeFrance stuff..Who knows with them. But really, in any sport nowadays. You see these awesome,awesome performances and you're first thought is hmm is he clean? You want to believe it, but where you see all these cases of baseball players, and track athletes,etc,etc. Everyone just trying to get that edge. Its understandable now with all the $$ throw at them or salaries and endorsements.
2009-02-23 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
It is surprising that people still do it.... They drugs test you so many random times of the year.  I once read about Lance having guys show up to his house on XMAS DAY!  You can't deny a drug test, so there he was in his own house on Xmas day doing a test!
2009-02-23 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

OK guys, I'm having a little freak-out here this morning!  I just realized that my first tri is only 10 weeks awaySurprised.  I haven't even done a single bike ride outside yet!  They've all been done on the stationary bikes at the gym because of the weather.  I'm not worried about the run, and the swim seems to be coming along alright, but the bike worries me.  I don't even have a decent helmet yet! 

Someone please tell me that I'll be OK and that my training so far and over the next 10 weeks will get me to the finish line (that's all I'm looking for for my first one).  I know I still have time to get everything ready and finish my training, but I think I need to hear it from someone else today. 

2009-02-23 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1977244

User image

Champion
soccermom15 - 2009-02-23 12:32 PM

OK guys, I'm having a little freak-out here this morning!  I just realized that my first tri is only 10 weeks awaySurprised.  I haven't even done a single bike ride outside yet!  They've all been done on the stationary bikes at the gym because of the weather.  I'm not worried about the run, and the swim seems to be coming along alright, but the bike worries me.  I don't even have a decent helmet yet! 

Someone please tell me that I'll be OK and that my training so far and over the next 10 weeks will get me to the finish line (that's all I'm looking for for my first one).  I know I still have time to get everything ready and finish my training, but I think I need to hear it from someone else today. 

Stationary bike miles are better than no miles at all.  Have you thought about a trainer for home?  That would be better than stationary bike as it gets you used to being on your bike.

Buying a helmet takes 5 minutes, maybe a bit longer for the ladies because there are lots of matching considerations to take into account but still doesn't take that longLaughing

Do you feel comfortable on a bike riding outside?  If you do I wouldn't worry too much about it.  In the IronGirl tri last year the winning relay team was a group my wife was with and the person on the bike never rides outside only on the trainer.  She rode one of the fastest bike splits of the day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73