General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-06 4:57 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by spie34

I'm not tapering yet per my plan but I have cut back a little this week. Work is crazy and for some reason I have a stomach bug of some sort. Any time I eat, my stomach is in knots. So needless to say my nutrition is lacking and my energy levels are down right now.

The weather here has turned warm for this week. I know I struggled very much on my run yesterday at lunch 78 degrees out. When I got in shade areas I was fine but direct sunlight I wasn't so if you have a chance to run in the hottest part of the day I would suggest doing that. I am planning on doing my run in the heat today.

Come to Austin if you want to work on heat acclimation. ?? I drank 5 bottles of water, 1 coke, and 2 Gatorades on a 20 mile run a couple weeks ago and still lost 8 lbs on a 104 heat index day. It cooled to 92 for my last 20 miler and it was heavenly. 78 will be downright chilly. ??

2013-06-06 4:58 PM
in reply to: johnyutah5

User image

Regular
Originally posted by johnyutah5

GREAT NEWS about the water temps. But that does make it sound like race could be a little warmer than usual as well. Good points about acclimating now, sounds like it could a tough one race day.

Can someone local confirm the length of the 'Mica hill'? My memory and garmin watch look to be playing tricks on me?

I posted a few pages back strava links that should give a decent idea of mica grade.
2013-06-06 5:03 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Regular
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

Originally posted by spie34 The weather here has turned warm for this week. I know I struggled very much on my run yesterday at lunch 78 degrees out. When I got in shade areas I was fine but direct sunlight I wasn't so if you have a chance to run in the hottest part of the day I would suggest doing that. I am planning on doing my run in the heat today.

Same here.  I ran for an hour yesterday without taking anything to drink, towards the end I got a couple of those cold shivers that tells me dehydration is coming.  Going back out today for 45 minutes at lunch and a short ride tonight after I get my bike back from the LBS - getting an "Ironman tune-up".

I'm going to try to make it down to the lake on Saturday for a long swim.  Debating whether or not to go for the full 2.4.  If I do, and it goes well, it would be a great confidence builder.  But if things don't go well and I'm dead tired after, it will haunt me for the next couple of weeks.  I almost think it's better not to know at this point since nothing can really be done about it and the experience will be much different on race day.

What time are you thinking about swimming on Saturday? I am thinking about going over saturday to ride the course but I'm needing help talking the wife into letting be gone most of the day heh.
2013-06-06 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by johnyutah5 GREAT NEWS about the water temps. But that does make it sound like race could be a little warmer than usual as well. Good points about acclimating now, sounds like it could a tough one race day. Can someone local confirm the length of the 'Mica hill'? My memory and garmin watch look to be playing tricks on me?

A touch over 2 miles going south and almost 3 coming back to town.  Coming back though, the last mile or so of the climb levels off a lot and isn't too noticeable. 

2013-06-06 6:09 PM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by bradaskins At what mile does Mica Hill begin and how long is it? I want to see if I can find a similar hill around here to climb. Thank you.

A little over 18 miles in.

2013-06-06 6:12 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by smithe68 I have to keep throwing this out there, Water Temp 60.62°F June 6, 2013, 6:28 a.m.

Yeah and that's downriver a bit and 6 feet deep.  Had the boat out on the lake today and the surface temp off City Beach was 63.  No water temp worries for you guys this year. 

2013-06-06 6:44 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I've been running in 100 degree weather for a few weeks now lol (biking also).
2013-06-06 7:43 PM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
I no longer refer to Mica grade as a hill but a MONSTER. Especially on the second loop. I am hoping for a 2 mile swim and 2 hour bike Saturday, but cant go until 4-ish
2013-06-06 9:23 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Regular
I got a good hour run in today with the temp at 91 here. Slight wind and some clouds so that did help. My HR was higher than normal for the pace I was running but I felt good based upon what I would be doing if I only relied on RPE. So who knows maybe at the race I might just have to go back to relying on rpe for my run vs HR as I have been for the last year or so.
2013-06-06 9:27 PM
in reply to: rbalazs

User image

Regular
Originally posted by rbalazs

Come to Austin if you want to work on heat acclimation. ?? I drank 5 bottles of water, 1 coke, and 2 Gatorades on a 20 mile run a couple weeks ago and still lost 8 lbs on a 104 heat index day. It cooled to 92 for my last 20 miler and it was heavenly. 78 will be downright chilly. ??

Oh I won't have to worry about it race day. I am going to hook a chain to your bike so you can drag me along than I'll be totally fresh for the race. As to you getting out of the water before me, I'm going to put a bike lock on yours so you have to wait .

2013-06-06 10:38 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids
Question for those of you driving a long distance to get to CDA. Are you putting your bike on your rack with your race wheels on? Or are you keeping your training wheels on and putting your race wheels in the car? I'd prefer to have my race wheels in the car but I don't think there will be enough room for that.

2013-06-07 6:37 AM
in reply to: OnYourLeft

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
I don't have fancy race wheels so I don't know what I would do about that. I'm goofy about my bike on a rack so I rented a mini van to drive out and the bike can fit inside. Everyone will be happy then. More room for everyone else and my bike compared to a car.

If the fear is theft then just lock everything up on the rack and take it in when you get to the hotel. Last year on the way out to Boise I had a few hotels tell me bikes couldn't go int the room, but I did sneak them in anyway. What day are you leaving? We leave friday the 14th. Should be in CDA/Spokane by Wednesday.

Have a safe drive. Can't remember if you are doing MMM this weekend, but if so maybe I'll see you up there.
2013-06-07 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by OnYourLeft

Question for those of you driving a long distance to get to CDA. Are you putting your bike on your rack with your race wheels on? Or are you keeping your training wheels on and putting your race wheels in the car? I'd prefer to have my race wheels in the car but I don't think there will be enough room for that.

Murphy's law states that if you don't bring your training wheels and just have your race wheels on, something will break on the race wheels. Put them in your lap if you have to .
2013-06-07 10:48 AM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
For those of you doing your OWS on lake Cda, are you swimming at Sanders Beach or at the Swim Course start?
2013-06-07 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

What time are you thinking about swimming on Saturday? I am thinking about going over saturday to ride the course but I'm needing help talking the wife into letting be gone most of the day heh.

I'm thinking about 4pm, I have to to work around the house earlier in the day - things have kind of been neglected for the past few months.

2013-06-07 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by MRGIBBS For those of you doing your OWS on lake Cda, are you swimming at Sanders Beach or at the Swim Course start?
I've been going to the swim course and swimming parallel to the beach in shallow water - if you swim from Independence Point to the dock at NIC and back, it's a little over a mile.

2013-06-07 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio

There are 5 of us coming out together and we have a trailer for the bikes. I think it is best to not have your race wheels on when you are transporting the bike. I think it best to have the trainers on the bike and find a way to bring the race wheels out. Just my opinion...

We are planning a crazy trip out there from NE Ohio. Leaving early Monday morning and sharing the driving to hope to get in late on Tuesday night. I am only worried about the drive home after we have all done IM (three of us 1st timers, Thankfully my wife is flying out for the weekend and helping us drive back.

2013-06-07 12:45 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Regular

I'm thinking about 4pm, I have to to work around the house earlier in the day - things have kind of been neglected for the past few months.

I found out that I can't get over there. My wife and I decided over memorial day weekend to start ripping down walls in our house and laying new flooring etc so after I finish my workouts on Saturday, I get to continue to do physical activity by working on the house.

I hear you on the neglecting part. It has been a chore to just mow the lawn. I need to vacuum my pool as well plus clean up my backyard so the kids can start to use the pool. Fortunately, last night they proved that they can go swimming in 74 degree water and be fine . Hmmm maybe that means I won't need to fire up the pool heater this year? Yeah right.
2013-06-07 1:01 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
If I can get out of work on time Saturday, I will be at Independance point around 4. Hope to swim one hour and ride two hours.
2013-06-07 7:33 PM
in reply to: roywidget

User image

Originally posted by roywidget

There are 5 of us coming out together and we have a trailer for the bikes. I think it is best to not have your race wheels on when you are transporting the bike. I think it best to have the trainers on the bike and find a way to bring the race wheels out. Just my opinion...

We are planning a crazy trip out there from NE Ohio. Leaving early Monday morning and sharing the driving to hope to get in late on Tuesday night. I am only worried about the drive home after we have all done IM (three of us 1st timers, Thankfully my wife is flying out for the weekend and helping us drive back.

That's sounds like a real adventure.....drive safe, especially on the way home.

Thanks to everyone for the responses on the Mica grade. Have a safe weekend of training.
2013-06-07 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Question for the locals - any recommendations on pizza (or a brew pub) and local beers? I know we had earlier recommendations for Spokane, anything in CDA specifically?

2013-06-07 11:00 PM

User image

Regular
There is a new place that just opened up near red robin right off northwest blvd I believe. It wasn't open when smithe68 and I stopped about a month ago. Just go to google maps and type red robin near Coeur d'Alene, ID At least for me the one that was 'A' is the area I am talking about. It is worth a shot at the very least.

There is a decent brew place on sherman ave that you will run past about 4 blocks from the finish. So when you are finished you can grab your wallet, turn around and run up to grab a beer . others will be able to tell you better for CDA
2013-06-08 12:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by MRGIBBS If I can get out of work on time Saturday, I will be at Independance point around 4. Hope to swim one hour and ride two hours.

I'll look for you on the steps around 4pm, give or take about 15 minutes.  I won't be able to do the ride, but plan on swimming at least an hour.

2013-06-08 1:18 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by cnsegura Question for the locals - any recommendations on pizza (or a brew pub) and local beers? I know we had earlier recommendations for Spokane, anything in CDA specifically?

For pizza, hands down the best in town is Fire Artisan Pizza on Sherman, between 5th and 6th.  Great Pizza and a good selection of micro brews.

A few other pubs are Capone's (featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives), Moontime, and the Moose Lounge.  Those are the ones closest to downtown.  There are some others a few more minutes from downtown that are good too.  Let me know if you'd like more info.

2013-06-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by cnsegura Question for the locals - any recommendations on pizza (or a brew pub) and local beers? I know we had earlier recommendations for Spokane, anything in CDA specifically?

For pizza, hands down the best in town is Fire Artisan Pizza on Sherman, between 5th and 6th.  Great Pizza and a good selection of micro brews.

A few other pubs are Capone's (featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives), Moontime, and the Moose Lounge.  Those are the ones closest to downtown.  There are some others a few more minutes from downtown that are good too.  Let me know if you'd like more info.

Definitely Fire Artisan Pizza. Did the race last year and went there twice.

Great memories of the whole CDA experience. For those that haven't been there before you're in for a treat! Best host city I've seen.

Edited by Patrick E 2013-06-08 12:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57