BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2008-02-23 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!

As far as last years' times go, perhaps it was actually shorter than the given distance?  I hear that happens a lot (both ways) in swims, as they are harder to make accurate, especially smaller races.

For my tris last year, I had never been in a pool, only OW, and had no idea of how fast or how slow of a swimmer I was.  I had no idea if I'd swam the distance in training or not, just how long I could swim.  And, I didn't get much swimming in (which if you are so darn bored you read through my summer logs you will see I complain about that all the time) due to not having someone to watch the kids.  I ended up doing 'fine' in the races.  Not fast, not DFL, and I didn't struggle with it too badly.  The hardest thing was seeing how far it was once they put the buoys up.  Pretty incredible how far 1/4 mile looks in open water!  But once you are swimming it goes by really fast.

2008-02-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1230532

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-02-23 1:04 AM

Erin on feeling like you suck at swimming

First, I have to tell you about my incredible and deep admiration for you. It's very easy and enjoyable to do something one is good at. But to throw yourself heart and body into something you struggle with, to rise to the challenge, to persist--that's the stuff of champions. You're a brilliant, energetic, and passionate lady--you could do any sport you want, and you picked triathlon, and you continue to do the admirable thing by training your weakness. Super kudos.

Yanti, thank you so much for this. You just made me cry a little bit, you . :-)

I do mostly take a lot of pride in the fact that I've stuck with swimming despite sucking so much. It just gets a little tiresome (or, you know, really f-ing frustrating) sometimes. But I'm stubborn, at least, so I've got that going for me. I also have friends who say they're looking forward to pointing and laughing at me when I'm the last to get out of the water next week. Such good friends I have.

Anyway, I must be crazy because despite all of these swim frustrations, and despite having a pretty bad swim last night (God, sooooooooo not in the mood), I signed up for another sprint. Why do we do this to ourselves?

Seriously, Yanti, thank you for the pep talk. It helps more than you'll know. *kisses*
2008-02-23 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1230740

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-23 8:00 AM

As far as last years' times go, perhaps it was actually shorter than the given distance? I hear that happens a lot (both ways) in swims, as they are harder to make accurate, especially smaller races.

Actually, yeah, I did wonder about that. It's hard to say, because the times aren't all that far off of what would be expected (especially, as Yanti says, in a small race). But on the other hand, I didn't think I was so slow that I would be not just dead last, but two minutes behind everyone else. Heh.
2008-02-23 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I had another thought about swim times while I was swimming this afternoon.....in the pool, if you can do flip turns, your times are faster (by how much, I don't know--anybody have a guess?) than those who don't flip.  I don't flip, so I assume when I am in an OWS swimming situation, I will be much more competition to the flippers!  I know when I am swimming pretty evenly with someone in the next lane who flips, they always get way ahead of me at the turns no matter how quickly I try to turn around and push off.  I don't know at what point it will behoove me to learn a flip turn vs just getting my swimming done, since usually I have limited pool time and try to use it for endurance.  This is my first time swimming in a pool (I started this fall).

I did swim longer and farther today than I have ever done! Woo hoo!  And I have a super early morning bike ride planned tomorrow, too.  I think I finally felt what it was like to actually use my body/hips to rotate while swimming.  I felt speedy now and then.

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2008-02-23 7:53 PM
2008-02-24 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I've always figured that things mostly even out in pool vs. OWS times -- like yes, you gain speed from not having to stop at every 25y, but maybe you lose time from thrashing around and battling the other swimmers in a race? I have no idea. Heh. I guess I'll find out in a week!

What's everyone got going on today? Supposedly it's going to rain very, very hard here at some point, and I'm trying to decide if I should at least try to go out on the bike, or if I should forget it and go for a swim, or if I should take a mental health day. *g*
2008-02-24 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1232224

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Fielding - 2008-02-24 1:07 PM I've always figured that things mostly even out in pool vs. OWS times -- like yes, you gain speed from not having to stop at every 25y, but maybe you lose time from thrashing around and battling the other swimmers in a race? I have no idea. Heh. I guess I'll find out in a week! What's everyone got going on today? Supposedly it's going to rain very, very hard here at some point, and I'm trying to decide if I should at least try to go out on the bike, or if I should forget it and go for a swim, or if I should take a mental health day. *g*

Erin....just do something to get your blood flowing.....you have the time during week after your tri to take a mental health day!    Can't wait to see how you do!  I know you will rock.

I rode 24 miles today on my mountain bike, so it was slow...I was trying to keep up my friend on her Cervelo in aero.....so I did ok.  My roadie is in the shop now and will be fixed by Friday.  Stupid derailleur.  No, stupid owner trying to d-i-y with no experience.    Had a fun outing anyway, despite the headwind and all.  Time for a little nappy.

2008-02-24 11:17 PM
in reply to: #1232408

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-24 2:46 PM

Erin....just do something to get your blood flowing.....you have the time during week after your tri to take a mental health day!

Well, unless shopping at REI and eating my body weight in spinach dip and brie at an Oscar party count as getting my blood flowing, I think today was a mental health day. *g*

Nice ride today, Leslie!

2008-02-25 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
When I swim, I don't kick, except when I'm on my breathing stroke. I figure I'm practicing for OWS and wearing a wetsuit, and I don't want my legs worn out for the bike, so I practice not kicking. I'm almost to the point where I never use a buoy anymore, either. While I can't swim very far right now (must managed 600 yards with a couple of stops, and rollovers into backstroke) I do almost all of it without kicking Oh, and I don't do flipturns either.
2008-02-25 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1231393

User image

Melon Presser
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-23 6:51 PM

I had another thought about swim times while I was swimming this afternoon.....in the pool, if you can do flip turns, your times are faster (by how much, I don't know--anybody have a guess?) than those who don't flip.  I don't flip, so I assume when I am in an OWS swimming situation, I will be much more competition to the flippers!  I know when I am swimming pretty evenly with someone in the next lane who flips, they always get way ahead of me at the turns no matter how quickly I try to turn around and push off.  I don't know at what point it will behoove me to learn a flip turn vs just getting my swimming done, since usually I have limited pool time and try to use it for endurance.  This is my first time swimming in a pool (I started this fall).

I did swim longer and farther today than I have ever done! Woo hoo!  And I have a super early morning bike ride planned tomorrow, too.  I think I finally felt what it was like to actually use my body/hips to rotate while swimming.  I felt speedy now and then.

Snooper job, Leslie! Wow! (and on the long-azz mtb ride, too ... I've NEVER ridden that far on a mtb).

Flip turns--pffft. Unless you're planning to join a master's group (maybe not even then, since most good ones are very triathlete-friendly), flip turns are a waste of time.

They require pretty good breath control and take up a fair bit of energy--especially if you're new to them--so really, unless you're planning to swim competitively, you're better off spending that breath and energy on your workout.

Speaking of swimming--Waterdog66 (he visits here ) talked me into doing the Pacific Open Water Challenge 5K (as a way of qualifying for ANOTHER 5K, what is he NUTS, I don't even like road 5Ks), so ... although I have done an approximate 5K OWS when I was 13 (on a dare, between islands, accompanied by a motorboat--great but long story) this will be a swimming first and PR for me--and I didn't think that was possible! Tri is great!

2008-02-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1234303

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Speaking of swimming--Waterdog66 (he visits here ) talked me into doing the Pacific Open Water Challenge 5K (as a way of qualifying for ANOTHER 5K, what is he NUTS, I don't even like road 5Ks), so ... although I have done an approximate 5K OWS when I was 13 (on a dare, between islands, accompanied by a motorboat--great but long story) this will be a swimming first and PR for me--and I didn't think that was possible! Tri is great!

That sounds like one heck of a swim! When is it?  I am sure you will do fine at it, you are a superb swimmer.  Me, I'd be out there for days!!  Speaking of OWS in the ocean, have you read "Grayson"?  I picked it up randomly at the library and read the whole thing in about an hour yesterday, I couldn't put it down.  Very sweet story, and it all takes place in the water during one very long OWS.  I highly recommend it.

2008-02-25 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1234564

User image

Melon Presser
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-25 2:39 PM

That sounds like one heck of a swim! When is it?  I am sure you will do fine at it, you are a superb swimmer.  Me, I'd be out there for days!!  Speaking of OWS in the ocean, have you read "Grayson"?  I picked it up randomly at the library and read the whole thing in about an hour yesterday, I couldn't put it down.  Very sweet story, and it all takes place in the water during one very long OWS.  I highly recommend it.

Ooh ooh ooh that looks wonderful! I LOVED Lynne Cox's autobiography and have watched as much footage of her as I can find--I am definitely going to read Grayson.

She's my hero.

2008-02-25 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I just reserved the autobiography at the library and will hopefully have it this week.  She is amazing, I agree!  You will LOVE this book.  It's takes place in your neck of the woods (or ocean, I should say) as well.

This topic has me thinking---what motivational books have you all read? They can be tri-related or not.....

I do like Slow, Fat, Triathlete by Jayne Williams.  She blogs on here once in a while.

I read a book about four women Ironman athletes from a decade ago...."The Triathletes: A season in the lives of four women in the toughest sport of all" by Jeff Cook.  Interesting view of a pro woman IM triathlete.

There will be more from me, it just takes me a while to remember them--I read a ton of books, and since I do it really fast I often don't absorb the titles, just the message!  Currently I am reading a lot about Afghanistan and how terrible it is there. Wishing I could help change it, being thankful I live where I do, when I do.

2008-02-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1234303

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
TriAya - 2008-02-25 12:11 PM

Yeesh! Yanti, you are a crazy lady. When is this 5k swim? And where? (I suppose I could Google, but I'm so very lazy.) I can't even begin to say how much the very idea of this swim terrifies me. DO YOU REALIZE THAT IS MORE THAN 3 MILES???

So what's everyone doing today/tonight? I have a 45-minute swim and an hour run after work. Woohoo!
2008-02-26 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1234794

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Hey All!  No time to catchup right now, but thought I'd stop by . . .

I FINALLY (after about a month break) got back in the pool last night . . . I probably could have a week ago, but kept finding excuses not to.  Boy do I have some work to do.  I didn't lose speed on my 50's, but lost about 10sec on my 100's.  Plus, swimming more than that at a time was a bit of a struggle.  I only went for 25 min as I didn't want to push my arm just yet.  I also got in a 45min run, almost all of which was at my target HR - at a 10min/mi pace - faster than usual when aiming to keep the HR down.  I must admit, I sped up and pushed it the last 7 min or so and so did my HR . . . is that ok??

Today I did a spin class this AM and will be meeting a friend who is in from out of town tonight to get a workout in at the gym.  Not sure what all I will do, but definately need to get a strength workout in!

I'm ready to get back to my training plan!  Life has just been too busy and I've been letting workouts slide - really need to put an end to that!

Ok, better go do some work   Will catchup later . . . Renee

2008-02-26 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Great job getting back into the workouts, Renee!  It's one day at a time, for sure!

I signed up for a 10.2K trail run this Saturday.  I did the same one last fall, so hopefully I will beat my time.  I had terrible blister issues for that run, so this time I am wearing my non-blistering shoes!  Today I ran 48 min but had bad rubbing yet again from my new shoes.  I think they may need to be replaced, unfortunately. I don't know what to do about it.  I wore good socks, body glide, laced them well....sigh.

I hope everyone has a great day today!  What's on the agenda??

2008-02-26 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1235935

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Yay, Renee! Glad to see you back into things. Now update your logs so I can inspire the hell out of you. *g*

Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-26 8:40 AM

I signed up for a 10.2K trail run this Saturday. I did the same one last fall, so hopefully I will beat my time. I had terrible blister issues for that run, so this time I am wearing my non-blistering shoes! Today I ran 48 min but had bad rubbing yet again from my new shoes. I think they may need to be replaced, unfortunately. I don't know what to do about it. I wore good socks, body glide, laced them well....sigh.

That totally sucks about the shoe situation. What shoes do you have? Where on your foot are you having the blister problems? I get running blisters in the strangest places -- always on the insides of my heels and on the very tips of my toes. They're not bad enough to cause problems (ie, I have blisters at the end of the run, but I'm not in any pain during the run), but I think I'm going to switch to a new brand when this pair is up.

The race sounds like a blast. I really want to get out and do some trail running.

My plans today: a 45-minute swim for sure, and then an hour bike and/or a 45-minute run. I think I'm going to have to skip out on a little bit of training this week. I have so much going on after work, plus I want to take it easy at least a day or two before my race.

2008-02-26 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1237012

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

That totally sucks about the shoe situation. What shoes do you have? Where on your foot are you having the blister problems? I get running blisters in the strangest places -- always on the insides of my heels and on the very tips of my toes. They're not bad enough to cause problems (ie, I have blisters at the end of the run, but I'm not in any pain during the run), but I think I'm going to switch to a new brand when this pair is up. The race sounds like a blast. I really want to get out and do some trail running. My plans today: a 45-minute swim for sure, and then an hour bike and/or a 45-minute run. I think I'm going to have to skip out on a little bit of training this week. I have so much going on after work, plus I want to take it easy at least a day or two before my race.

I think tapering is a good thing!  You won't add any fitness at this point, so slow it down and keep the blood flowing, don't injure yourself! Cannot wait to read the RR.

Re my shoes--I am getting a blister over and over again on the inside arch of my right foot. It seems there must be something rubbing in my shoe, not the arch support.  I need to investigate a little bit.  If there's something wrong with the shoe I might try to return it for a new pair, since I really love the shoes.  Nike Air Triax.  They are 1/2 size bigger than my old pair, but the fit is fine, so that's not it.  The left foot is fine, too, which leads me to believe that it is an irregularity in the shoe.  Hopefully, since I bought them at a running store, they will help me work through it.  We shall see....

2008-02-26 5:26 PM
in reply to: #1237114

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-26 2:21 PM

I think tapering is a good thing! You won't add any fitness at this point, so slow it down and keep the blood flowing, don't injure yourself! Cannot wait to read the RR.

Does two days of light activity count as tapering? Anyway, I'm not worried about adding fitness or anything as far as this race goes -- I'm mostly treating it as a) a long workout and b) a chance to get a "real" tri under my belt (after I got screwed out of the swim last time) before my oly in April.

Re my shoes--I am getting a blister over and over again on the inside arch of my right foot. It seems there must be something rubbing in my shoe, not the arch support. I need to investigate a little bit. If there's something wrong with the shoe I might try to return it for a new pair, since I really love the shoes. Nike Air Triax. They are 1/2 size bigger than my old pair, but the fit is fine, so that's not it. The left foot is fine, too, which leads me to believe that it is an irregularity in the shoe. Hopefully, since I bought them at a running store, they will help me work through it. We shall see....

Mmm...those are nice shoes indeed. I can understand why you don't want to give them up. That'd be great if it's a defect and you can swap them or something. But persistent blistering on the inside of your arch *and* you're posting these great speeds? Forgive me if I hate you a little bit. *g*

2008-02-26 5:52 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Poor pookie! Definitely take the shoes back--and insist on a refund or exchange. That's what running stores are for. Explain clearly the issue and ask to be re-shoed by someone who's really experienced in fitting and is a runner.

You might need a wider shoe. Also, Triax does correct slightly for pronation, which means it's going to be built up a little more on the inside. Unless you indeed are an overpronator (and many runners get misdiagnosed as such, especially women), you could think about a neutral running shoe.

Just thoughts, that's all.

2008-02-28 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hopefully I can get to the running store this weekend, after the trail run and all that.  It's supposed to be rainy and thunderstormy, so it will be interesting!  It's also right under the airport takeoff and landing area, so it's a trip to run there!

Good news, I was accepted to Team Javelin today, so I get a uniform, woo woo!  That makes us on the same team, Shawn!  My friend Lynne also got in, and a few others I know from BT, which is fun!

What are you all up to today?  It's been awfully silent on here.  I am biking (spin) and swimming since I didn't get to yesterday.   My kids are driving me insane today.

2008-02-28 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1241486

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Medusa_Ann - 2008-02-28 10:06 AM

Hopefully I can get to the running store this weekend, after the trail run and all that. It's supposed to be rainy and thunderstormy, so it will be interesting! It's also right under the airport takeoff and landing area, so it's a trip to run there!

Good news, I was accepted to Team Javelin today, so I get a uniform, woo woo! That makes us on the same team, Shawn! My friend Lynne also got in, and a few others I know from BT, which is fun!

What are you all up to today? It's been awfully silent on here. I am biking (spin) and swimming since I didn't get to yesterday. My kids are driving me insane today.

That trail run sounds so awesome, especially in the rain and thunder and under the planes. Ha! You'll be very distracted, anyway -- no time to think about the pain. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

And congrats on Team Javelin!

It's been very quiet here indeed. I was crazy busy all day yesterday. I actually took a day off work to train -- I know, I'm shocked too. I didn't even realize that was what I was doing until the morning, when I told a friend I had to take the day off so I could get in at least one long bike before my race. I think my obsession has reached new heights (or lows, perhaps). Today I've got a swim after work, and then *maybe* a long run late tonight.

2008-02-28 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Congrats Team mate. I paid my invoice a couple of weeks ago but I hope I get one of the early deliveries on the uniform as I have a race in 5 or six weeks. If it doesn't come hopefully I will have my other Team uniform by then
2008-02-29 3:47 AM
in reply to: #1241848

User image

Melon Presser

Fielding - 2008-02-28 1:08 PM I actually took a day off work to train -- I know, I'm shocked too. I didn't even realize that was what I was doing until the morning, when I told a friend I had to take the day off so I could get in at least one long bike before my race. I think my obsession has reached new heights (or lows, perhaps). Today I've got a swim after work, and then *maybe* a long run late tonight.

Again, Erin ... you are HARD CORE. I've never taken off work to train, although I have taken off work to recover/rest.

CONGRATS TO THE JAVELINITES!

And now ... a shameless pitch for the March Peep Wars bike challenge ...

Leslie, Shawn, Will (and myself, I always hold back and lurk to see if I really wanna do it ... then I always do ) are signed up ... remember, it's about YOUR cycling goals, so you set the number at whatever's realistic (and then subtract a bunch for illnesses, life, family, etc).

The link is in my signature beneath if you wish to sign up.

2008-02-29 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1242983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
TriAya - 2008-02-29 1:47 AM

Fielding - 2008-02-28 1:08 PM I actually took a day off work to train -- I know, I'm shocked too. I didn't even realize that was what I was doing until the morning, when I told a friend I had to take the day off so I could get in at least one long bike before my race. I think my obsession has reached new heights (or lows, perhaps). Today I've got a swim after work, and then *maybe* a long run late tonight.

Again, Erin ... you are HARD CORE. I've never taken off work to train, although I have taken off work to recover/rest.

CONGRATS TO THE JAVELINITES!

And now ... a shameless pitch for the March Peep Wars bike challenge ...

Leslie, Shawn, Will (and myself, I always hold back and lurk to see if I really wanna do it ... then I always do ) are signed up ... remember, it's about YOUR cycling goals, so you set the number at whatever's realistic (and then subtract a bunch for illnesses, life, family, etc).

The link is in my signature beneath if you wish to sign up.

it is actually because of you that i signed up for the march peep wars- i am in for 200 miles. with daylight savings time and longer days it is perfect cycling time. before it gets too hot and i have to ride at the beach all summer long. thanks again for all of you great insight yanti-you are an awesome mentor. so lets go train.
2008-02-29 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I'd love to do the challenge -- they're so much fun! -- but I think it'd just stress me out this month, since I'll be gearing up for my oly. I don't think I'll be lacking for motivation anyway. But I'll be keeping an eye out for the April challenge.

What's everyone up to today? I was supposed to get up early for a bike this morning, but I went out with my sister last night and didn't get to bed until 2 a.m., so yeah, not so much with the early today. Now I'm weighing my options: a 45-minute swim? an hour on the stationary? a short run? brave the dark and take my bike out after work? Some or all or none of the above? I think I'm leaning toward the swim and run -- I don't want to risk a flat by taking my bike out after dark, and I doubt an hour on the stationary is going to do much for me, either for Sunday's race or my oly training. Too bad, because I really wanted to hit 100 miles on the bike this month!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61