BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2012-04-01 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3942424

User image

Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Thanks Michael and Randy, and the rest of the gang for such a great mentor group.  Lots of good stuff, and very active.  I really appreciate everyone's time.  Good luck to everyone in the rest of their seasons.

Aloha

2012-04-01 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Is Winter over already? I still haven't caught up with last weeks posts. This has been a great group.
I'm interested in continuing on with the Spring/Summer group.
2012-04-01 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Some thoughts.....

Great races Randy and Bennett; way to get out there and set the pace for this group.   

This next Mentor session we should set-up a chart to post pre race goals for each of our races and then post after; we could set some for Transitions, each discipline (time), age group or overall (top half, top 10; etc); heck even trying some mounts or dismount strategies during the race as a goal; maybe trying not to use socks on the bike and run.  You wouldn't have to post a goal for every area, but two or three would be cool.  Pushing ourselves to try new things and strategies.

I am starting my 16 week HIM Plan tomorrow while maintaining my run schedule for my Half.  I figure some of the Cross training will do me good.  I actually went to the gym and did a light strength workout and some Core work before swimming.  Actually felt good jumping into the pool already warmed up.

My calf actually feel much much better today so I sure I am healing and nothing is pulled.  I think it was more of non use issue do to the recovery and healing. 

Lastly,  does anyone use an Adamo Saddle?  There is one posted in the classifieds and it is blue $80.  It would look great on my bike and I was looking at them the other day and was considering getting one.

2012-04-01 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

This post isn't meant to create any fear, but mainly serve as a REMINDER to us all when we are out there training to make sure people see us by using lights, bright clothing and to train defensively.  I know I don't so this enough; train defensively -- meaning watching cars; assuming people do not see you; slowing down if you are not sure; waving your hands; thanking people by acknowledging them with a wave for moving over to give you room; stop running and step over to the side of the road if you feel a car is drifting.

I learned today that a well known College of Special Education Professor at our Local College in Monmouth Oregon (Western Oregon University) was hit by a truck yesterday while biking on a busy highway and died instantly.  I serve on a Special Education Advisory Council with him.  He will be missed tremendously.  So sad.  I guess he drifted into the road and the guy tried to veer to miss him, but couldn't.

Take Care everyone and BE SAFE!!!

2012-04-01 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4123742

User image

Master
South Alabama

Brian-I have used an Adamo.  It was never "magical" for me as many describe it.  I used it for 6-8 months and then went back to my Cobb.  May try it again at some point.  I find that the Cobb is comfortable in both aero and when I am sitting upright. The Adamo was about the same feel in aero but not comfortable at all when sitting up. Saddles are tough to figure out as each person is looking for something different. If you can get it for a good price its worth a try.

Race report is up in the race forum. Sorry I dont know how to link it.  Ended up 15th overall of 227 and 2/15 in AG. 6th fastest bike split overall. I'm pleased with that but most pleased with the fact that I had a good run after the bike.  Does no good to kill it on the bike to the detriment of your run. Overall run was 27/227. Swim.....nevermind

Randy

2012-04-01 9:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Brian-sad news.  Always an eye opener to hear of those types of incidents.  A good reminder to keep safety in mind.

Randy   

2012-04-01 10:46 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Stu, Randy, Bennett - great jobs on the races!

I can't believe this group is going to wind down so quickly.  Feels like we just got going.

2012-04-01 10:48 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Michael - do you run a speed concept storage box?  If so, do you have any issues with the wire from your PT?
2012-04-01 11:38 PM

User image

Master

Bri- That is terrible news.  I hate to hear stories such as yours, and my heart goes out to his family.  

As for the end of the mentor season, holy cr@p that came fast.  Please reserve me a spot in the next round of experior/slornow mentor group.  I feel as if we were all just settling in to know each other, an d I would like to continue with those of you who sign on again as the year progresses.

Have a great week everyone.

Bennet

2012-04-01 11:42 PM

User image

Master
Bri - When I bought my try bike I tried both the adamo and the cobb.  The cobb saddle just felt better to me, and I really like it now that I have some miles on it.  Having said that, many people love the adam.  I kind of felt like I was sliding off the nose.  I would be hesitant to buy an adamo off the classifieds, just because a saddle is such an individual decision.  Many bike stores have a loaner seat program to try before you buy.  Perhaps that is an option?
2012-04-02 2:10 AM

User image

Master
Stu: I forgot to tell you, great job on your 10 miler! Oh goodness, the tax issue sounds like a big headache. Good luck sorting it all out quickly!

Michael: Ouch! Sorry to hear your rear end was rewarded for a good ride with pain.

Jason: It's been enlightening following your detailed bike training! Thank you for sharing. It's such unknown territory to me.

Brian: Great ideas for the next round. For some cross training I'll be starting p90x to today to get stronger. I like when I can use my entire body to move me forward and not just my legs or arms! Glad your calf is feeling better. I love getting into the pool after a run. The pressure of the water while being weightless is like a gentle massage. I showered before I got in, I swear, LOL!

Thank you for the reminder to train with safety in mind always. Very sad about your colleague. Poor family and friends.

Randy and Michael: Thank you so much for your time and not making me feel silly about my training methods and race result. I've learned so much just reading about everyone's experiences.

Please bring me with you to the next mentoring session. Need you all for when I kick it up a notch, ha HA!

2012-04-02 8:06 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Early treadmill run today and then swim at lunch. Daughter has a soccer game this evening so trying to squeeze in training before that.  Traveling Thursday-Monday so will be doing run only toward the end of the week.  Son was invited to run at Arcadia Invitational in California Saturday so we will be making the trip.....kind of a last minute thing but very exciting.  I've never been to California before.  Will have to do get some tourist stuff in on Friday.

Have a good week everyone.  BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Randy 

2012-04-02 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Quick check-in.  I'm not quite ready to let this go -- I'll catch up with everyone this afternoon.  Unfortunately, I had zero internet this weekend.

I also managed, yesterday, to take a spill, landing right on the wallet in my rear pocket, and now said rear is really really sore.  Other than that, good training for me this weekend.  I've glanced at the races -- great job to everyone!

More anon...

Edited by Experior 2012-04-02 9:00 AM
2012-04-02 10:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Looks like the Spring/Summer group has gone live for anyone looking to join again.

Randy

2012-04-02 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4122423

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
tri808 - 2012-03-31 5:36 PM

Had a really good long run today.  Almost a really bad start because I forgot my shoes and only noticed once I got to the park where I start at.  Drove back to my office to get a spare pair since it was closest and got my run underway.  Just a tad over 14 miles and felt really good.

That just capped 14 consecutive days of running for me...including 3 long runs...89.93 miles. 

Nice run!

slornow - 2012-03-31 5:39 PM

Brian-give that calf plenty of time and TLC.  Pool running is a good way to maintain run fitness.....

Randy

x2!  I admit after a while I got sick of it and quit, but I can handle it for a month or so before I get fed up.

Blanda - 2012-03-31 9:55 PM

Took the kids to a park to let my son get some bike laps in. Turned into a lovely evening. Biking, beach combing, and there happened to be an outdoor movie planned for when the sun went down. The movie was about Guam's history, myths, and legends.

We didn't know that they were having the movie, so I wasn't prepared with chairs. I let the little one sit in my lap and my boy sat on my purse. A lovely couple brought us a blanket from their car. The kids laid out all comfy on it. While we waited for the movie to start, we counted stars and talked about what they were made of. I was very surprised that they were totally engrossed in the documentary! I thought they'd be begging to leave not far into it. Very pleasant time together.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend too!

Great!  I agree with Randy -- those kinds of family times are the best.

slornow - 2012-04-01 8:45 AM

I really like running almost everyday so long as almost all of the runs are 'easy" . Looking back I've made the most gains  in my running fitness/speed while doing this.  I think running 3x a week can be plenty but I think often times people push those 3 runs and end up injured or not fully recovered before their next workout.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Done anything similar?

I have lots of thoughts about this topic, but the bottom line is that I agree with you.  For HIM prep, I think that 6x/week is probably ideal for many people (assuming one is training bike and swim sufficiently).  I find I am much less likely to get those small nagging injuries if I run more frequently.  That probably has something to do with the fact that running more frequently forces me to slow down.  It also allows one to build up resistance to the pounding in smaller more frequent doses, instead of a few 'big' doses.

GoFaster - 2012-04-01 11:48 PM Michael - do you run a speed concept storage box?  If so, do you have any issues with the wire from your PT?

Yes.  I run the wire behind the box.  In fact, a while back I made a video for someone (maybe you???) showing how I run the PT wire on my SC.  Here it is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJfQegfa8Cw

Saddle (dont' recall now who mentioned it...) :  I also have an Adamo.  I got it because I thought my old saddle was the cause of my issues.  I like the saddle just fine, but I'm pretty sure that my issues had more to do with poor fit and just not being acclimatized to the seat.  But the saddle works, so I've seen no reason to switch back.  I also like how the like can be racked on the rear of the saddle.  My road bike has a traditional saddle, and that works fine for me too.

2012-04-02 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Oh, and I meant to say:  It was great being a member of this group for the winter/early spring.  (Did we actually HAVE winter this year?  You Canadians don't need to answer that question...)  Best of luck to you all, and I hope you will check in in from time to time!  I'll try to do the same.

2012-04-02 11:19 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Michael -  it was me that you made that video for!!  I just couldn't remember if you had spoken about the storage box (or speed box for that matter).

Just wanted to say thanks to a great group - especially Randy and Michael.  You guys have been awesome.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46