BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-06-06 8:41 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

New user

Montgomery County
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by Kuma

I think my sweetie is going to give me a hall pass to ride Saturday morning.  Would any of you DC/MoCo/NoVA area folks like to try to meet up and ride together?  In the interest of finding a sort-of central location, I know a good route that starts at the Marshall Park & Ride off I-66 west of DC.  The route is 56 miles through VA horse country, mostly rollers, but it has one big, tough hill in the middle, and then one medium-sized tough hill at about 3/4 of the way.  I'm thinking we'd go pretty early, probably rolling out at around 8:00 or 8:30.  Larkin's racing so I know he's out (sorry man - we'll get you out again), but any of you other fine folks interested/available?  

Disclaimer - I might get my hall pass rescinded if it rains (complicated - has to do with the kids' Saturday school - don't ask).  

Man, that sounds awesome but I will be at the beach!

2013-06-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by mleech77

~1000m in the pool with the Master's this morning.  Starting to feel more comfortable without the snorkel.  I'm still rushing when I start to feel as if I'm not getting enough air and really have to work to reign myself in and slow it down.  When I really concentrate on extending and form I'm actually only slightly slower than with the snorkel.  

Definitely ditching the snorkel for this weekend's mini sprint.  1) it's only 250m  2) it's at the same pool my Master's is at, and they have practice that morning so the coach would give me crap about it.  3) I'm feeling comfortable enough to do so

That is awesome.
2013-06-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by everlong

Originally posted by jarvy01

2500 in the pool this morning. New 400 TT record of 5:44. If I ever work on flip turns I'd be interested to see what I could do.

Awesome job! Yes, flip turns will give you speed, especially if you maintain good streamline form off the walls. Maybe in your off season you could work on these? I know some people disagree, but I think flip turns make you a better swimmer and I absolutely feel it translates to open water.

Thanks. I am going to try to learn them this winter. I've been doing dolphin kick with fins to work on my core, build up the hips and work towards being able to use it off the flip turns.

If you're willing to take a trip to CT I can teach you. Its fun!
2013-06-06 2:00 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kaburns1214

2500 in the pool this morning. New 400 TT record of 5:44. If I ever work on flip turns I'd be interested to see what I could do.

Awesome job! Yes, flip turns will give you speed, especially if you maintain good streamline form off the walls. Maybe in your off season you could work on these? I know some people disagree, but I think flip turns make you a better swimmer and I absolutely feel it translates to open water.

Thanks. I am going to try to learn them this winter. I've been doing dolphin kick with fins to work on my core, build up the hips and work towards being able to use it off the flip turns.

I may take you up on that.
2013-06-06 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
To rotate or not?

So I read a thread on rotating running shoes. Many people have different shoes for their running....long runs, tempo runs, races etc. Do any of you rotate shoes or have specific shoes that you wear for specific runs? Since I just bought a new pair or "racing" shoes, I wonder if they are good all around shoes etc?
2013-06-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd To rotate or not? So I read a thread on rotating running shoes. Many people have different shoes for their running....long runs, tempo runs, races etc. Do any of you rotate shoes or have specific shoes that you wear for specific runs? Since I just bought a new pair or "racing" shoes, I wonder if they are good all around shoes etc?

I like using the same pair for everything, well almost everything.  I have a slightly more cushioned pair I used for IMTX.  I find that once I get over 15 miles, which isn't often, I like slightly more cushion.

2013-06-06 3:28 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by everlong 2500 in the pool this morning. New 400 TT record of 5:44. If I ever work on flip turns I'd be interested to see what I could do.

Road Trip!  Think you can teach me in a weekend?  

2013-06-06 3:34 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Originally posted by mleech77

Originally posted by everlong 2500 in the pool this morning. New 400 TT record of 5:44. If I ever work on flip turns I'd be interested to see what I could do.

Road Trip!  Think you can teach me in a weekend?  

I can teach a flip turn in a weekend.

Flip turns are fun and they really do improve your pool swimming times and help develop better streamline position, which in turn helps your overall swimming.
2013-06-06 9:07 PM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I finished my second OWS tonight. Not fast - about 52 mins for 1.2 miles, but it felt really good. I didn't feel too restricted in my wetsuit, the way I did last night. It just felt like I hadn't taken time off.

Good luck to all of you racing this weekend. I wish I had a race going on. Instead I have a 6 hr ride. I feel ready for it this week though, I plan on tweaking nutrition based on advice given and feel more confident about hitting targets.

2013-06-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1 I finished my second OWS tonight. Not fast - about 52 mins for 1.2 miles, but it felt really good. I didn't feel too restricted in my wetsuit, the way I did last night. It just felt like I hadn't taken time off. Good luck to all of you racing this weekend. I wish I had a race going on. Instead I have a 6 hr ride. I feel ready for it this week though, I plan on tweaking nutrition based on advice given and feel more confident about hitting targets.

Have fun, don't stress, and just ride your ride.  This is supposed to be fun after all.  It's easy to lose that in Ironman training.

I got to sleep in today.  Have 2100 in the pool and tabata intervals on the bike today.  Also going to hit the grocery store and cut the grass.  Day off huh?

2013-06-07 8:31 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by cheekymonkeys1

I finished my second OWS tonight. Not fast - about 52 mins for 1.2 miles, but it felt really good. I didn't feel too restricted in my wetsuit, the way I did last night. It just felt like I hadn't taken time off.

Good luck to all of you racing this weekend. I wish I had a race going on. Instead I have a 6 hr ride. I feel ready for it this week though, I plan on tweaking nutrition based on advice given and feel more confident about hitting targets.

Nice on the swim...were you buy yourself or a group...lake or ocean?

2013-06-07 9:11 AM

User image

Regular
Swam 2400m at Masters this AM.  Outdoor pool, so it was weird swimming in Tropical Depression Andrea, but it's better than biking or running, I guess.  I just hope Andrea decides to leave us all alone by tomorrow, particularly those racing this weekend...
2013-06-07 10:25 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

Swam 2400m at Masters this AM.  Outdoor pool, so it was weird swimming in Tropical Depression Andrea, but it's better than biking or running, I guess.  I just hope Andrea decides to leave us all alone by tomorrow, particularly those racing this weekend...

Andrea is hitting tonight and Sat...but things all the way up here should be great on Sunday.
2013-06-07 10:43 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Light morning in the pool today, 1050m total.  Most importantly did 250m without the snorkel, took just under 5:30, so only slightly slower than my relaxed snorkel pace.  Very happy with that given my arms were a bit done from swimming every morning this week.  Tomorrow's my rest day and then my mini sprint on Sunday.

2013-06-07 7:56 PM

User image

Hope everyone well. Have to catch up... had a busy week. Andrea is certainly having her way with New York!

Saw some good info from you guys re bike nutrition. Had a major FAIL with that last Sunday...for some reason I decided to do a 3 1/2 hour ride with just one hammer bar (220 calories or so) and water only... was practically hallucinating at the end of that one Yes, I should know better....never again!
2013-06-07 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4723981

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Pouring rain today, traffic on the commute home was a nightmare, so I stop, change into my tri shorts, pull over at a Res. near my house, throw on the Vortex suit and do my first 2.4 mile OWS in a monsoon downpour. It took me 74 minutes and was a priceless confidence booster - not afraid of IMLP now, even if it rains!!! So happy.

2013-06-08 6:37 AM
in reply to: cobratodd

User image

Veteran
Pouring here too and am off to do an OWS of the race course and then race back to make a lacrosse game.
2013-06-08 6:39 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
Hope all that are racing this weekend have a great one.
2013-06-08 7:07 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Good luck everyone!  I look forward to hearing race reports.

I have 1.5 hours on the trainer today and a quick run.  Race tomorrow.

2013-06-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck, racers!!!
2013-06-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
It's quiet in here.

3:30 bike/ :30 easy run today. My allergies are off the charts so I stuck with the trainer. I have pinkeye in both eyes and look like I'm possessed. LOL I felt strong and solid this morning. I struggled with motivation this week, spending a lot of time feeling as if I weren't going to make it through this summer of training. Woke up feeling ready to ride. In a much better place today

2013-06-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Haymarket, VA

Talk about a night and day difference between organizing bodies for a race.  I'm really hoping that this one was as haphazard as it was due to it just being a mini sprint and there were so many people new to triathlon that they decided to give it a more lax atmosphere.  

There was no set schedule for when transition opened/closed, the bike racking was first come first serve wherever you wanted, and up to 5 minutes before the scheduled start of the race they were still asking for volunteers to help out on the course.  

The swim was supposed to start at 7:15am, the first person hit the water at 7:32am.  Supposedly our numbers were sorted by swim seed time, but from the very beginning you could see something wasn't quite right.  I understand there are going to be a few people here and there that either put down the wrong time, or aren't feeling up to their normal time on race day, but there was "traffic jams" constantly.  This was a snake style, and each lane was one way.  Three different times (in a 250m swim) I had people two wide in front of me (doing breast stroke) so that I couldn't pass.  I had to wait until the wall when they got back into single file to push it and get past them.  Given all that though the swim felt good for me given it was my first competitive swim without the snorkel.  

When I got to the bike stand my bike had been knocked over and my helmet/sunglasses had rolled away.  The father and son that were on the bike stand with me had already gotten their bikes, so I'm assuming they were responsible for the situation.  After finding my helmet and sunglasses I headed out on the bike course.

Even with this being a mini sprint the bike course felt very compact.  I never felt like I could get into a good rhythm.  As soon as I started to feel as if things were smoothing out I had to do a tight turn or turn around.  The full sprint versions of this event involve you doing laps of this same course so I'm really going to have to practice on my intervals and slower speed turning.

When I got back to transition the father had taken my spot on the bike stand, and my shoes had been knocked off of my transition towel.  Got my stuff together, grabbed a quick drink, and was off on the run.

Got some side stitches early on, but slowed down for them to ease and then picked it back up to a steady pace for me.  The run went well other than that.  The run course was on the sidewalks through the campus, so nicely shaded.  Early on part of it wrapped around by the finish line, and it was a little strange to hear the announcer calling out the names of those who were near the beginning of the run and not announcing the people who were crossing the finish line.

The shirts were supposed to be passed out at the finish line, but when I crossed there was no-one at the table and the boxes were still sealed.  The RD came over, apologized, and opened the boxes.  Several racers and myself set the shirts out by sizes, stuck around to hand out for a little while, and then let the rest of the people grab their own.  

All in all a very disorganized event, but still I enjoyed myself.  Added bonus it was only 20 min from my house so I was home for my massage (again it's great being married to a massage therapist) by 9:15am and that included a stop off at the grocery store on the way home.  No clue on my times since I forgot to start my garmin.  I was too nervous about swimming without the snorkel and didn't realize until the 4th length that I hadn't hit the button.

2013-06-09 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Bit of a rough race today.  Ended up with 3rd in my AG though.  Not sure if that's a reflection of the field or a reflection on my expectations for myself.  I knew that the run may be an issue.  I reached back for that extra gear and it just wasn't there.  Can't complain too much taking home hardware and all though. 

Matt sorry about the race.  A good RD and good organization make a race. 

2013-06-09 4:06 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Expert
Congrats on the hardware Scott. Hope everybody had a good race. Jen my allergies have been killer this spring. I have a year like this literally every 15 years.

Two hour ride today at a very easy pace. Two weeks out. I hope I heal up and feel good by race day.
2013-06-09 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Congrats on a job well done, Scott.

Sounds like everyone had a productive day of racing. Sorry yours wasn't quite what you'd hoped for Matt, but I sounds like you made lemonade with it :-)

Shock and surprise - I had a decent ride today! It wasn't speedy, but it was steady and I tried real food (PB&J, banana, fig newtons and perform for liquid) I ended up getting 84 miles. My longest ride ever. I was tired, and the last few miles were tough going. I really wanted to push and get to 100, but while the mind was willing, the body was not lol I don't think love nor money could have convinced my legs or my 'seat' to push there today.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86