2013-08-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by popsracer

Thanks PsyTri for posting that link.  I'm still relatively new with my routines and that was very helpful.

Today will be Day 18.  I cannot believe how fast time flies.  The core work has been a great boost to my workouts and I am feeling much stronger and just plain solid.  I also think that I have less pain in my hips, back, and abdomen which have been chronic discomfort areas.

You all are a great group.  I know I never would have crossed this bridge without your support and camaraderie. 

So good to hear this Steve Smile  Like Brad said a few posts back, it's not REALLY about the six pack....it's about a functional core that allows us to continue being active without stuff like back and hip pain.  So glad you joined us!

It's been quiet and I'm guessing you're all busy wrapping up end of summer projects and/or busy at work like I am.  I hate it when work expects me to work!

I'm turning 40 in 2 months so it is a little about the 6 pack ..... Seriously, I started with this challenge as an experiment. My core has never been that strong so I wanted to see just how much better I would feel with a consistent ab plan. It has helped a lot, i definitely feel tighter and stronger in all three disciplines and in every day life. Initially I told myself I would eat really clean while doing this challenge but that hasn't happened. BTW, is it wrong to eat a bowl of ice cream immediately after you finish your ab workout?

Here is my race report from last weekend.

This coming weekend I'm doing my first ultra.  A 12 hour race around a 2.6 mile trail.  Should be a very interesting experience.  This summer seems to be full of them. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=498060&posts=1#M4829290

Good luck in the race Steve! One of my friends does adventure races, he invited me to one in December. It's a "sprint", only 7 hours!!!!!! You really long distance/time guys are crazy!!!!!

Check in for Wednesday...

Bicycle (1 min)
Rest (10 Sec)
Scissor (1 min)
Flutter (1 min)
Rest (10 Sec)
Center Plank (1 min)
L Side Plank (1 min)
Center Plank (1 min)
R Side Plank (1 min)
Center Plank (1 min)
Rest (10 sec)
Dancing Crab (1 min)
Rest (10 sec)
Crunch Toe Touch (1 min)

Chris (cdban66): Don't let that get you down man, keep your head up!!

2013-08-15 2:44 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Originally posted by PsyTri

Just an admitted lurker here! Not joining the challenge. Just inquiring. You guys rock!

Training for my first Sprint, and I fit in 3-4 days of core work per week (15-17 minutes). Up to 15 reps each of this: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Also, got my wife to go in on the 30-day Plank Challenge that someone mentioned way earlier in this thread. I can't find the linke because you guys are so prolific with your posts (due to your kick-a** workouts, I might add!). We just hit the 2 minute plank mark, and it was not as hard as I thought. But we're headed up that steep climb to 5 minutes! Anyone out there doing longer duration planks like this? Are you purists who hold the position, or do you re-adjust your weight distribution or feet to cope? Also, do you feel it in your quads? Just wondering.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the link PsyTri! If you read back through my posts you will see that I do a lot of planks and plank variations. I try to suck my belly button in to my spine and really concentrate on keeping my core tight. Longest plank I have done so far is 2 min, occasionally I will drop a knee if I need to.
2013-08-15 3:30 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by switch

Original

ly posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I am heading to RRs now, as I have some serious catching up to do, but Mike, this last pic is all kinds of awesome. do some croppage and make it your avi--fierce, I tell you, fierce!

Consider it done!

Mike!

Where did it go?

Seriously, that pic of you is awesome.  I'm hoping your avi is just on rotation mode and that you didn't take it out. 

Nope...it should be there.  Probably a browser cache thingy (technical term).

90 min Bikram this morning...I'm now the instructors' pet project.  My triangle pose, to be specific:

Just for the record...that's not me.  Smile

Browser? Cache?  *fingers in ears* lalalalaalalalalalalalala 

Triangle, nice...but can you reverse that, cowboy? 

What...like standing on my head??  Undecided

2013-08-15 3:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by caffear this Steve Smile  Like Brad said a few posts back, it's not REALLY about the six pack....it's about a functional core that allows us to continue being active without stuff like back and hip pain.  So glad you joined us!

It's been quiet and I'm guessing you're all busy wrapping up end of summer projects and/or busy at work like I am.  I hate it when work expects me to work!

I'm turning 40 in 2 months so it is a little about the 6 pack ..... Seriously, I started with this challenge as an experiment. My core has never been that strong so I wanted to see just how much better I would feel with a consistent ab plan. It has helped a lot, i definitely feel tighter and stronger in all three disciplines and in every day life. Initially I told myself I would eat really clean while doing this challenge but that hasn't happened. BTW, is it wrong to eat a bowl of ice cream immediately after you finish your ab workout?!

Pffft!  NO!  That is my reward for finishing my ab workout!

Edited by bcraht 2013-08-15 3:43 PM
2013-08-15 3:44 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by bcraht
Originally posted by caffear this Steve Smile  Like Brad said a few posts back, it's not REALLY about the six pack....it's about a functional core that allows us to continue being active without stuff like back and hip pain.  So glad you joined us!

I'm turning 40 in 2 months so it is a little about the 6 pack ..... Seriously, I started with this challenge as an experiment. My core has never been that strong so I wanted to see just how much better I would feel with a consistent ab plan. It has helped a lot, i definitely feel tighter and stronger in all three disciplines and in every day life. Initially I told myself I would eat really clean while doing this challenge but that hasn't happened. BTW, is it wrong to eat a bowl of ice cream immediately after you finish your ab workout?!

Mmmmmm Amen!!! 

2013-08-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Originally posted by caffer

Just an admitted lurker here! Not joining the challenge. Just inquiring. You guys rock!

Training for my first Sprint, and I fit in 3-4 days of core work per week (15-17 minutes). Up to 15 reps each of this: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Also, got my wife to go in on the 30-day Plank Challenge that someone mentioned way earlier in this thread. I can't find the linke because you guys are so prolific with your posts (due to your kick-a** workouts, I might add!). We just hit the 2 minute plank mark, and it was not as hard as I thought. But we're headed up that steep climb to 5 minutes! Anyone out there doing longer duration planks like this? Are you purists who hold the position, or do you re-adjust your weight distribution or feet to cope? Also, do you feel it in your quads? Just wondering.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the link PsyTri! If you read back through my posts you will see that I do a lot of planks and plank variations. I try to suck my belly button in to my spine and really concentrate on keeping my core tight. Longest plank I have done so far is 2 min, occasionally I will drop a knee if I need to.

Straight back, I assume. You feel it in your quads?

2013-08-15 4:27 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by caffer
Originally posted by PsyTri Just an admitted lurker here! Not joining the challenge. Just inquiring. You guys rock! Training for my first Sprint, and I fit in 3-4 days of core work per week (15-17 minutes). Up to 15 reps each of this: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... Also, got my wife to go in on the 30-day Plank Challenge that someone mentioned way earlier in this thread. I can't find the linke because you guys are so prolific with your posts (due to your kick-a** workouts, I might add!). We just hit the 2 minute plank mark, and it was not as hard as I thought. But we're headed up that steep climb to 5 minutes! Anyone out there doing longer duration planks like this? Are you purists who hold the position, or do you re-adjust your weight distribution or feet to cope? Also, do you feel it in your quads? Just wondering. Keep up the great work!
Straight back, I assume. You feel it in your quads?

Psytri--I feel it in my quads, especially if I really work on engaging them.  I usually "feel it" first between my shoulder blades, then my low back.  I do some weight shift.  Actually, I like to do these around the world on three points--two legs and an arm (both sides), then two arms, one leg, etc.  It helps relieve the boredom, challenges different muscles to do things with unilateral imbalance, and breaks up the monotony a bit :)

Why don't you join us?

2013-08-15 4:32 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Original

ly posted by jmhpsu93

I am heading to RRs now, as I have some serious catching up to do, but Mike, this last pic is all kinds of awesome. do some croppage and make it your avi--fierce, I tell you, fierce!

Consider it done!

Mike!

Where did it go?

Seriously, that pic of you is awesome.  I'm hoping your avi is just on rotation mode and that you didn't take it out. 

90 min Bikram this morning...I'm now the instructors' pet project.  My triangle pose, to be specific:

Well, technically I would call that "side angle"--so here's the reverse.

I'm also a fan of the bind:

2013-08-15 4:34 PM

User image

Master

Original

ly posted by jmhpsu93

Consider it done!

Mike!

Where did it go?

YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK.

2013-08-15 4:38 PM

User image

Seattle

Original

ly posted by jmhpsu93

Consider it done!

Mike!

Where did it go?

I'm only impressed if there is a shot with two people as per Mike's example.

2013-08-15 5:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Consider it done!

Mike!

Where did it go?

You mean you don't wear the Faris black panty thing when doing yoga??

2013-08-15 5:25 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Consider it done!

Mike!

Where did it go?

omg! My instructor rocks the Faris (can we just all call it that now--no disrespect to THE MAN, either). All I have to say is "Mind the gap, dude!" Some of those poses are not Faris friendly...or too Faris friendly. ..or something;)
2013-08-15 5:59 PM

User image

Seattle
My hamstrings are so tight that when I do yoga it involves  a lot of 1:1 with the instructor and lots of props
2013-08-16 12:14 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
I am caught up!  I was, at one point, 11 days behind.  But I have been doing doubles for what seems like ever and as of today I am even.  I realize that it kind of kills the 'spirit' of the challenge, but I don't think starting over would have gone well for my psyche Sealed
2013-08-16 7:14 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by bcraht I am caught up!  I was, at one point, 11 days behind.  But I have been doing doubles for what seems like ever and as of today I am even.  I realize that it kind of kills the 'spirit' of the challenge, but I don't think starting over would have gone well for my psyche Sealed

NICE!  (and you're way ahead of me...I'm still in catch-up mode)

2013-08-16 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4783765

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Nope, no FaRis for me in yoga. Just tri shorts. Nothing motivates you more than staring at your fat gut in the mirror for 90 minutes. :-)

2013-08-16 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4830683

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Off to Cancun for a week...probably limited internet access but I promise I will be working the core!
2013-08-16 7:59 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Off to Cancun for a week...probably limited internet access but I promise I will be working the core!

WTF? I may need to ban you for this;)

Have a great time, punk!

2013-08-16 8:00 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by bcraht

Mmmmmm Amen!!! 

Cool! Glad to know I'm not the only one!!!
2013-08-16 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Consider it done!

Mike!

Where did it go?

omg! My instructor rocks the Faris (can we just all call it that now--no disrespect to THE MAN, either). All I have to say is "Mind the gap, dude!" Some of those poses are not Faris friendly...or too Faris friendly. ..or something
I miss my Bikram yoga class. I was going 3-4x per week, and then pretty much had to give it up in December last year. Haven't been since. I can't find one around the area where I spend most of my time. However, I never rocked the Faris either. I always went with compression shorts and a pair of running shorts over them. I generally wouldn't even go shirtless to Bikram, either. Always wore a compression top.

Still current on all of my core routines.
2013-08-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Hot yoga was instrumental in me "getting my body back" after baby number 3 (gained 73lbs with that one).  I am about the furthest thing from modest there is (it's all about comfort for me), and I wore just a sports bra and yoga pants from the get go.  SO MOTIVATING.  Those freakin mirrors don't lie--they show the bad, but they also show the good.  What started out as a real hard thing to look at for a while, turned into "Jeez, that's getting better" into, "Now, that's more like it." I really like that class a lot, especially in the winter.  It's the only time I really get warm in Jan and Feb in Iowa :/

2013-08-16 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I'm not too interested in the other hot yoga styles...I like the form and routine of the Bikram class. I hate some of the uninformed drivel that they throw at you, cult of Bikram style. Too many people believe a lot of their claims without understanding what they really mean, but I enjoy the class in general at least.

Yep. I hated looking in the mirror in that room. It's funny, too, because that is totally out of my norm. I was almost always one of the ones in the best shape in the class (not that that is something to brag about, just enlightening as to the status of the rest of the class). I grew up as a swimmer and water polo player, so I am not modest in the slightest after walking around in front of crowds in the "Faris" as you mentioned. I'm a boater, and never have my shirt on in the summer days when out on the water. However, I wouldn't go into that room without wearing a shirt. It's amazing how poorly you can perceive yourself when looking in the mirror while contorting yourself into different positions.

2013-08-16 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by switch Hot yoga was instrumental in me "getting my body back" after baby number 3 (gained 73lbs with that one).  I am about the furthest thing from modest there is (it's all about comfort for me), and I wore just a sports bra and yoga pants from the get go.  SO MOTIVATING.  Those freakin mirrors don't lie--they show the bad, but they also show the good.  What started out as a real hard thing to look at for a while, turned into "Jeez, that's getting better" into, "Now, that's more like it." I really like that class a lot, especially in the winter.  It's the only time I really get warm in Jan and Feb in Iowa :/

I tried and did not like Bikrim yoga, but you saying that has piqued my interest again!  I've only tried one studio and my main complaint is that it seemed like they were not controlling the heat well.  When too many people were in there, they often had to open the door to the outside (in the winter) because it was reaching temps that were above what is normal for that class--which is already pretty darn hot.  The humidity did not seem controlled at all.  It made me feel pretty sick and I always ended up with a 12 hour headache despite hydrating like nuts.  Also, it was a carpeted room and stinky as F**K.  Like gross.  I kept imagine all the bacteria living in that room.

So is that all pretty standard or should I seek out a different studio?

2013-08-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by switch Hot yoga was instrumental in me "getting my body back" after baby number 3 (gained 73lbs with that one).  I am about the furthest thing from modest there is (it's all about comfort for me), and I wore just a sports bra and yoga pants from the get go.  SO MOTIVATING.  Those freakin mirrors don't lie--they show the bad, but they also show the good.  What started out as a real hard thing to look at for a while, turned into "Jeez, that's getting better" into, "Now, that's more like it." I really like that class a lot, especially in the winter.  It's the only time I really get warm in Jan and Feb in Iowa :/

I tried and did not like Bikrim yoga, but you saying that has piqued my interest again!  I've only tried one studio and my main complaint is that it seemed like they were not controlling the heat well.  When too many people were in there, they often had to open the door to the outside (in the winter) because it was reaching temps that were above what is normal for that class--which is already pretty darn hot.  The humidity did not seem controlled at all.  It made me feel pretty sick and I always ended up with a 12 hour headache despite hydrating like nuts.  Also, it was a carpeted room and stinky as F**K.  Like gross.  I kept imagine all the bacteria living in that room.

So is that all pretty standard or should I seek out a different studio?

I think this is a SUPER individual thing.  I have done Bikrim, but I really don't like doing the same poses every time in the same order, so I tend to gravitate toward independent studios.  I am also really, really picky about instructors (I know, you all are SHOCKED), so I have been known to go to three different studios (in the same time frame), each for a different instructor.  I  like really simple, clean instruction. I like an instructor who isn't afraid to give kinesthetic cues (light touch), but if someone forcefully tries to move me in a class, without us discussing that and agreeing to it first, I will leave the class and never come back, as I think that screams incompetence. I'm also really picky about music.  Haha.  I'm a nightmare student. Believe it.

Noelle, I am absolutely crazy about cleanliness in a studio.  If there was a smell in there it would be off my list pretty fast too:)

Controlling the heat and humidity is really tricky.  When I was teaching hot classes, I would have to dink with the humidity to keep it where I liked it.  I also would check in with the class to make sure the heat was OK.  As an instructor, you get really used to it, so I think it's really important to check in with the students.  There are also usually places in the room that are hotter or more humid than others; if you know you like it a certain way, ask the instructor before class where those conditions might be most likely to exist.

I think the heat takes some acclimation, but some people really don't like it.  If you're having long-lasting headaches despite good hydration, I wonder if you may fall into that group :/

Like many things, I think having the right gear is important.  For me, a natural rubber mat and a good chamois-like yoga towel on top is a good combo for a hot class.  I also prefer to wear pants, as otherwise I'm often so sweaty that I can't do poses well that involve placing arms or feet on the legs. 

Apologies for the novel :)

2013-08-16 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Switch, your novel was succinct in answering my questions!  What are your thoughts though on the carpeted studio?  The Bikrim studio is the only yoga studio I've ever attended that had a carpeted floor.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10580 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.