BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Sorry, I am a little slow with this HR stuff. But the more and more I think about it the more it seems to make sense.

I just love that it seems to self-adjust for things like altitude, elevation gain, outside stress, heat etc.

Interestingly, when I was in Chas-town last weekend my HR was crazy low. However my "feels like" was maxed out, I couldn't have pushed any more because the muggy was pushing back.

Interesting.  When it's hot and humid out, my HR is crazy high. 

I'm sure the low HR was my bodies reaction to "hey check out all this oxygen!" and "hey, it's flat!", but I did expect it to be higher based on percieved exertion.

I forgot that you live at altitude.  You must have been crazy fast!

Or maybe you're both just crazy.

2015-07-10 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Sorry, I am a little slow with this HR stuff. But the more and more I think about it the more it seems to make sense.

I just love that it seems to self-adjust for things like altitude, elevation gain, outside stress, heat etc.

Interestingly, when I was in Chas-town last weekend my HR was crazy low. However my "feels like" was maxed out, I couldn't have pushed any more because the muggy was pushing back.

Interesting.  When it's hot and humid out, my HR is crazy high. 

I'm sure the low HR was my bodies reaction to "hey check out all this oxygen!" and "hey, it's flat!", but I did expect it to be higher based on percieved exertion.

I forgot that you live at altitude.  You must have been crazy fast!

Sadly no. I'm not sure what my real pace was for my first run there because I was stoppin a lot to take pictures. During the race I just couldn't move fast, too muggy. The bridge run was good, until the bridge , then it was normal. 

2015-07-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Epic (adjective just for you, Chris!) and inspirational article and video about Martyn Ashton in VeloNews this morning.  I love his quote:  "You may try something, and you may fail. But if you don’t try, then you will never know if you could or couldn’t."

2015-07-10 11:48 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Tomorrow I have a 600yd/14.8mi/4mi race.  Kind of a longish sprint.  I have not had a great run on a tri in a long time and I think part of it is due to racing my Garmin instead of how I am really feeling especially on the bike.  I have decided I am leaving all electronics at home.  I find I get so preoccupied running numbers in my head on pace, time, distance, projected times, how much I need to speed up or slow down to hit goal, etc. that I get a little disconnected from my body.  Anybody ever feel this way?  Have you found electronics to be a distraction?  Do you race better without?

2015-07-10 1:01 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Mary - Way cool, thanks!

Steve - electronics are usually not a problem for me as I tend to use them historically. 

2015-07-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by popsracer

Tomorrow I have a 600yd/14.8mi/4mi race.  Kind of a longish sprint.  I have not had a great run on a tri in a long time and I think part of it is due to racing my Garmin instead of how I am really feeling especially on the bike.  I have decided I am leaving all electronics at home.  I find I get so preoccupied running numbers in my head on pace, time, distance, projected times, how much I need to speed up or slow down to hit goal, etc. that I get a little disconnected from my body.  Anybody ever feel this way?  Have you found electronics to be a distraction?  Do you race better without?

I have a 600yd/17mi/5k tri this weekend.  I'm absolutely going to be geeked up with electronics for the race.  If anything they keep me distracted from how much I'm actually hurting.  "Ok this sucks, but history has shown I can hold this wattage for 30 minutes no problem!"  Then I just keep checking the numbers while watching the important stuff going on 5m in front of me.  For the run I have a watch, but I tend to pace that leg more by feel anyway.  It's the last bit of the race, so pour out the rest you have without blowing up.

2015-07-10 1:30 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

July 11-12
MR Matt -  Sunfish Triathlon on Saturday
Steve - Sprint tri  on Saturday
Ann-Marie - Moonlight Moonshine 10k on Saturday
Melanie - Steelman Open Water Swim on Sunday
Tom - Caesar Creek State Park Oly on Sunday

Disabled List
Erin - knee
Stacey - a bit under the weather

2015-07-10 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

July 11-12

Disabled List
Erin - knee

Awesome stuff! "We" are busy this weekend!!! Hands, moonshine AFTER the race . Everyone have fun and bring back great stories.

Erin - have a great trip and rest that knee

Stacey - get better m'kay?

2015-07-10 1:39 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

July 11-12

Disabled List
Erin - knee

GOOOOOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!!  Swim fast, me!

HEAL UP, Erin and Stacey and Yanti.

2015-07-10 1:50 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

July 11-12

Disabled List
Erin - knee

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Manatees!  Great to see so many racers this weekend!

DL'ers, hope you feel better soon.  Erin, that knee thing has been going on for way too long.  Please heal up already!

2015-07-10 2:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO

For those of you watching the TdF, thought you might enjoy this picture of some "jersey" cows, courtesy of Velo News.

2015-07-10 2:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

For those of you watching the TdF, thought you might enjoy this picture of some "jersey" cows, courtesy of Velo News.

Nice! I liked it last year when a guy along the route dyed his sheep yellow

ETA: speaking of the Tour (I'm one day behind) Phil was full of odd phrases yesterday.

Edited by rrrunner 2015-07-10 2:19 PM
2015-07-10 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
MSA (manatee service announcement): When you have 2 workouts scheduled but you have an incredibly busy day, don't get up at 3 am so you can knock out both workouts before work. I've bombed every workout since the first one that morning and almost took a nap while in the pool this morning.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-07-10 2:27 PM
2015-07-10 2:28 PM

User image

Denver, CO

ETA: speaking of the Tour (I'm one day behind) Phil was full of odd phrases yesterday.

I think there were some pink sheep during the Giro too. Poor beasties. 

So far "done and dusted" seems to be the phrase I've heard most often this year.  I can never remember which voice is which between the P's so I'm not sure who's been saying it.  We always listen closely for the first use of "massive" and whoop when we hear it.  Never fails - it gets way overused every year.

Do those of you following the race watch full stages, just sections, or only follow it on the live feed while "working"?

2015-07-10 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So far "done and dusted" seems to be the phrase I've heard most often this year.  I can never remember which voice is which between the P's so I'm not sure who's been saying it.  We always listen closely for the first use of "massive" and whoop when we hear it.  Never fails - it gets way overused every year.

Do those of you following the race watch full stages, just sections, or only follow it on the live feed while "working"?

We watch full stages but skip commentary by Christian VanDeVelde   I do occasionally put it on X4 if it's straight, flat, sunny, normal peleton stuff.

2015-07-10 2:33 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black MSA (manatee service announcement): When you have 2 workouts scheduled but you have an incredibly busy day, don't get up at 3 am so you can knock out both workouts before work. I've bombed every workout since the first one that morning and almost took a nap while in the pool this morning.

Sounds like you're due for a long recovery nap this weekend!

2015-07-10 2:33 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black MSA (manatee service announcement): When you have 2 workouts scheduled but you have an incredibly busy day, don't get up at 3 am so you can knock out both workouts before work. I've bombed every workout since the first one that morning and almost took a nap while in the pool this morning.

Thanks for the warning (and great title too).  Sorry, but it just about made me spew my Coke all over my keyboard.  Hope you have a rest day soon!

2015-07-10 2:39 PM

User image

Denver, CO

We watch full stages but skip commentary by Christian VanDeVelde   I do occasionally put it on X4 if it's straight, flat, sunny, normal peleton stuff.

We got live streaming through mapmyride, which doesn't have the option of x4.  We generally just watch the last ~50km unless there's some big development earlier in the race. I think DH is following a live blog at work too.

Haven't heard CVDV but I will say that Jens's commentary adds absolutely nothing.  I'm a little disappointed and not overly impressed.  Maybe it's just to give the P's a break so they don't get too loopy.

2015-07-10 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

We got live streaming through mapmyride, which doesn't have the option of x4.  We generally just watch the last ~50km unless there's some big development earlier in the race. I think DH is following a live blog at work too.

Haven't heard CVDV but I will say that Jens's commentary adds absolutely nothing.  I'm a little disappointed and not overly impressed.  Maybe it's just to give the P's a break so they don't get too loopy.

I luv Jens so I think I give him a pass.  Media in general annoys the crap out of me. Stupid, obvious, shallow comments and questions. I do like Jens' insider comments about the strengths/weaknesses and personalities of the guys in the peleton.

2015-07-10 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

3 am is just crazy.  I'd be wiped out for a week.

This week has been super busy at work so I'm had to let a few workouts go but it's just as well.  Forced rest.

2015-07-10 4:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Now that is just too cute!  It could become my new avatar...

Personally, I like CVDV and Jens, they're the most recent commentators fresh out of racing, so each one offers a more current view of the field, gear, strategies, insider info than the Ps or even Bobke can add.  I love hearing Jens talk, it doesn't matter what he's saying, and that goes for the Ps, too.  After yesterday, I vowed I would learn to say Teklehaimanot   

2015-07-10 4:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ouch!  And I thoughtt 4:15 was bad...  Rest up!

2015-07-10 4:33 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by popsracer

I have a 600yd/17mi/5k tri this weekend.  I'm absolutely going to be geeked up with electronics for the race.  If anything they keep me distracted from how much I'm actually hurting.  "Ok this sucks, but history has shown I can hold this wattage for 30 minutes no problem!"  Then I just keep checking the numbers while watching the important stuff going on 5m in front of me.  For the run I have a watch, but I tend to pace that leg more by feel anyway.  It's the last bit of the race, so pour out the rest you have without blowing up.

Good luck to both of you! Can't wait to hear the reports. I'm getting a little figity without a looming race. I found an oly nearby first weekend in August that I will probably do.
2015-07-10 4:41 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Now that is just too cute!  It could become my new avatar...

Personally, I like CVDV and Jens, they're the most recent commentators fresh out of racing, so each one offers a more current view of the field, gear, strategies, insider info than the Ps or even Bobke can add.  I love hearing Jens talk, it doesn't matter what he's saying, and that goes for the Ps, too.  After yesterday, I vowed I would learn to say Teklehaimanot   

Well, you ARE out-standing in your field.   I agree with you, I do like listening to Jens and the P's talk.  Guess I haven't heard CVDV or Jens talk too much about their perspectives as racers; it's more just been a parroting of what's already been said.  I must be missing the good stuff. Teklehaimanot--that guy and his name are way cool.  Bet he gets a contract offer from a World Tour team for next year.  Wonder how much prep the P's had on learning his name.  It really does look harder than it is. Tek-leh-HIGH-man-oh.  That's it.

2015-07-10 4:51 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!

July 11-12

Disabled List
Erin - knee

GOOOOOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!!  Swim fast, me!

HEAL UP, Erin and Stacey and Yanti.

Racw well everyoe and heal up DL. Even those that aren't on the DL...

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29147 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.